NATION

PASSWORD

What do you think of Communism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wisteria and Surrounding Territories
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2024
Corporate Bordello

Postby Wisteria and Surrounding Territories » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Valles Marineris Mining co wrote:
Like communism genuinely feels like a religion.

It denies logic if it disproves their beliefs

Religion: Creationism
Communism: Humans aren’t naturally selfish and greedy

It has saints
Religion: Tons of examples
Communism: Marx, Engels, Mao, Lenin, etc

It has a strict doctrine

It has multiple sects/variations

There is a holy book/books

When they are criticized they cite the holy book

Anyone who doesn’t believe in their ideology is treated as heathens or sinners (or in the case of communists, non believers are called bougie sympathizers or fascists)

Both communism and religions have caused mass death

Like communism is literally a godless religion.

Valrifall wrote:
Physics is just like a religion

Religion: creationism
Physics: So many free parameters of the Standard Model, the Big Bang, etc.

It has saints like Feynman, Einstein, Gell-Mann, and Minkowski

It has a strict doctrine yet with multiple sects (Everettians, Pilot-Wave Theorists, String Theorists, MOND, Loop-Quantum gravity)

There are holy books (praise Griffiths)

When they are criticized they site these holy books

Anyone who doesn't believe their 'science' (ideology) is derided as "stupid" or a "grifter".

Both physics and religion have caused immense human suffering and death.

Really physics is just a godless religion.

In a sense, everything is some kind of religion. We may think our science is correct, but in 200 years, they'll look back at us like we're stupid.
Headlines: Nothing! I didn't make a news article last Friday! | Wisteria is still preparing for the Cheese War, Merethin follows suit. || Заголовки: Глициния все еще готовится к Сырной войне, Меретин следует ее примеру.

“It is raining so hard out there, I just saw Superman getting into a cab.” -Jimmy Walker.
What is "The Cheese War"?
Wisterian Armed Forces
The Cheese War unable to start without someone else's help!

Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

Valrifall wrote:Physics is just like a religion

It has a strict doctrine yet with multiple sects (Everettians, Pilot-Wave Theorists, String Theorists, MOND, Loop-Quantum gravity)

Anyone who doesn't believe their 'science' (ideology) is derided as "stupid" or a "grifter".

My honest reaction: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_JJm5ETN ... aGluZyA%3D

Buddy, physics is actually PROVEN, with MATH and LOGIC.

Religion and communism are literally just “Guys society would be so good if we all just followed these rules.”
“Someday, people will say quotes I never said” - Sun Tzu, or something.

Post Irony and Meta Irony must be embraced as the next step

This is my alt, my Main is Valles Marineris Mining co

Valrifall
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

Maximum Imperium Rex wrote:
Valrifall wrote:Physics is just like a religion

Uh... You do understand how science, like physics, works? You know, the whole exploring new evidence and changing ideas thing?

I'm a physicist.

Valrifall
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:Religious belief, economic philosophy, and science don't really correlate with each other.

Exactly.

Arguing "x" is a religion betrays a lack of understanding of both x and religion. What a religion even is, is a matter of scholarly debate beyond the grasp of randos online.

Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Valrifall wrote:
Maximum Imperium Rex wrote:Uh... You do understand how science, like physics, works? You know, the whole exploring new evidence and changing ideas thing?

I'm a physicist.

*Press X to doubt*

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Wisteria and Surrounding Territories wrote:
Valles Marineris Mining co wrote:
Like communism genuinely feels like a religion.

Religion: Creationism
Communism: Humans aren’t naturally selfish and greedy

It has saints
Religion: Tons of examples
Communism: Marx, Engels, Mao, Lenin, etc

It has a strict doctrine

It has multiple sects/variations

There is a holy book/books

When they are criticized they cite the holy book

Anyone who doesn’t believe in their ideology is treated as heathens or sinners (or in the case of communists, non believers are called bougie sympathizers or fascists)

Both communism and religions have caused mass death

Like communism is literally a godless religion.

Valrifall wrote:
Physics is just like a religion

In a sense, everything is some kind of religion. We may think our science is correct, but in 200 years, they'll look back at us like we're stupid.

Ptolemy's model of the universe was a decent one considering the contemporary understanding of the universe. It matched observations of the sky, allowed for predictions, and generally worked according to what they had at the time to test it. The issue with it is that more refined observations and measurements (such as Venus's phases proving that it orbited the Sun) showed more and more flaws with it which forced ever more elaborate tinkering (such as the Tycho version of planets orbiting the Sun while the Sun, stars, and Moon orbited Earth), and eventually it was superseded by a new model of planets orbiting the Sun in ellipses which was simpler and delivered more accurate predictions, which is why the old one was thrown out.

Our current models of reality are the same, they're just supported by much more elaborate reasoning and technology.

Not quite the same as a religion.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Maximum Imperium Rex
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2024
Corporate Police State

Postby Maximum Imperium Rex » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Valrifall wrote:I'm a physicist.

What does that have to do with anything? You obviously still don't understand how science works.
I'm the best. No question about it. In fact, I survived.
An autistic ADHD OCD mind adrift in F7
We live on an island surrounded by a sea of ignorance. As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance.
-John Wheeler
Man becomes hardly more, in communism, than a depersonalized cog in the turning wheel of the state.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
-Ronald Reagan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
-Jack Handey

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.
-Mark Twain

Valrifall
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

Maximum Imperium Rex wrote:
Valrifall wrote:I'm a physicist.

What does that have to do with anything? You obviously still don't understand how science works.

My point was not seriously arguing that physics is a religion, it was to demonstrate the absurdity of Valle's criterion for religion by showing how something demonstrably non-religion-like fits those criteria.

My argument is that his argument is bad. That's all.
Last edited by Valrifall on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wisteria and Surrounding Territories
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2024
Corporate Bordello

Postby Wisteria and Surrounding Territories » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:

Ptolemy's model of the universe was a decent one considering the contemporary understanding of the universe. It matched observations of the sky, allowed for predictions, and generally worked according to what they had at the time to test it. The issue with it is that more refined observations and measurements (such as Venus's phases proving that it orbited the Sun) showed more and more flaws with it which forced ever more elaborate tinkering (such as the Tycho version of planets orbiting the Sun while the Sun, stars, and Moon orbited Earth), and eventually it was superseded by a new model of planets orbiting the Sun in ellipses which was simpler and delivered more accurate predictions, which is why the old one was thrown out.

Our current models of reality are the same, they're just supported by much more elaborate reasoning and technology.

Yeah, I was trying to sound philosophical. I guess it wasn't that good...
Headlines: Nothing! I didn't make a news article last Friday! | Wisteria is still preparing for the Cheese War, Merethin follows suit. || Заголовки: Глициния все еще готовится к Сырной войне, Меретин следует ее примеру.

“It is raining so hard out there, I just saw Superman getting into a cab.” -Jimmy Walker.
What is "The Cheese War"?
Wisterian Armed Forces
The Cheese War unable to start without someone else's help!

Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Valrifall wrote:
Maximum Imperium Rex wrote:What does that have to do with anything? You obviously still don't understand how science works.

My point was not seriously arguing that physics is a religion, it was to demonstrate the absurdity of Valle's criterion for religion by showing how something demonstrably non-religion-like fits those criteria.

So you refute a bad argument with another even worse argument to prove that your failure of an ideology isn’t a pseudo-religion.

Bruh my brain hurts

Valrifall
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing wrote:
Valrifall wrote:

So you refute a bad argument with another even worse argument to prove that your failure of an ideology isn’t a pseudo-religion.

Bruh my brain hurts

No I demonstrate that your argument holds no water since any random assortment of ideologies or sciences meets your definition of religion.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

the constant and obscene banging on in this thread on how humanity as a whole actually doesn't give a fuck about the extremely human things like empathy and giving a fuck about eachother makes me sad smfh

Yes, banging on about this nonsense is fucking obscene.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Religious belief, economic philosophy, and science don't really correlate with each other.

True. However, the behavior patterns of many of their followers do have striking similarities.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Ptolemy's model of the universe was a decent one considering the contemporary understanding of the universe. It matched observations of the sky, allowed for predictions, and generally worked according to what they had at the time to test it. The issue with it is that more refined observations and measurements (such as Venus's phases proving that it orbited the Sun) showed more and more flaws with it which forced ever more elaborate tinkering (such as the Tycho version of planets orbiting the Sun while the Sun, stars, and Moon orbited Earth), and eventually it was superseded by a new model of planets orbiting the Sun in ellipses which was simpler and delivered more accurate predictions, which is why the old one was thrown out.

Yeah, I was trying to sound philosophical. I guess it wasn't that good...

It is true though that our scientific models currently will probably be looked upon as naive in 200 years, unless we regress or die out. And if some people still like what our current models have, they might cling to them with an almost religious fervor.

Would be funny if a new model ruled out dark matter as a concept, but we had conspiratorial groups screaming about how Big Baryon is hiding the "truth" out there.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:the constant and obscene banging on in this thread on how humanity as a whole actually doesn't give a fuck about the extremely human things like empathy and giving a fuck about eachother makes me sad smfh

I mean I’m not the one who supports an ideology repsonblenfor the death of hmm… let me actually calculate this:

About 4 million deaths under Stalin with Holodomor, and another 14 million for the Gulags

40-80 million under Mao, so let’s go with conservative estimates and go with 40 million

Not to mention the countless other atrocities.

That totals to around 58 MILLION deaths with conservative estimates.

And then communists cope and say “But it wasn’t real communism”. On paper communism sounds wonderful, but humans don’t work that way and don’t think logically enough for communism to work.

How much bloodshed will it take to realize that Communism. DOES. NOT. WORK. (At least on large scales anyway, I could see it working in isolated tribes on islands)

Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Elwher wrote:

True. However, the behavior patterns of many of their followers do have striking similarities.

Agreed

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:the constant and obscene banging on in this thread on how humanity as a whole actually doesn't give a fuck about the extremely human things like empathy and giving a fuck about eachother makes me sad smfh

I mean I’m not the one who supports an ideology repsonblenfor the death of hmm… let me actually calculate this:

About 4 million deaths under Stalin with Holodomor, and another 14 million for the Gulags

40-80 million under Mao, so let’s go with conservative estimates and go with 40 million

And then communists cope and say “But it wasn’t real communism”. On paper communism sounds wonderful, but humans don’t work that way and don’t think logically enough for communism to work.

How much bloodshed will it take to realize that Communism. DOES. NOT. WORK. (At least on large scales anyway, I could see it working in isolated tribes on islands)

Your deflection from your constant rejection of human empathy is noted.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing wrote:I mean I’m not the one who supports an ideology repsonblenfor the death of hmm… let me actually calculate this:

Your deflection from your constant rejection of human empathy is noted.

Brody just casually ignored the fact that communism caused 58 million deaths.

If we are talking about the “state of nature” I take a more Locke approach to things. Under a completely stateless society most people would be chill, but a govt would be needed to keep those who violate the NAP in check.
Last edited by Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

The manifesto has a vaguely amusing "end of history" feel for me, although it's a decent stab at trying to lay out very real problems with capitalism which we still deal with nearly two hundred years later. Its ideas would need to be implemented in a way to keep some power hungry lunatic from interpreting ""dictatorship of the proletariat" as "dictatorship of me" and raising merry hell, which as with many revolutions is apparently rather difficult to keep from happening.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

New-Minneapolis
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New-Minneapolis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Your deflection from your constant rejection of human empathy is noted.

Communists and tankies will just deny it, or say those weren't "true" communists.
31 year-old multiracial Hispanic homosexual male with Neurofibromatosis type 1. Neurodivergent. Yes, I do live in Minneapolis.
Gamer. Agnostic. Civic Nationalist. Hawkish & Centrist. I smoke cannabis.

Political compass results
AmericanValues 2 results
Religious Values Test
NO Telegrams please.
Stand with Israel

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Your deflection from your constant rejection of human empathy is noted.

If you want to start an atrocity olympics thread because you can't defend your assertment that empathy runs contrary to human nature, you are welcome to do so.
New-Minneapolis wrote:
Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing wrote:Brody just casually ignored the fact that communism caused 58 million deaths.

Communists and tankies will just deny it, or say those weren't "true" communists.

And You can go join him there too.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

New-Minneapolis
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New-Minneapolis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Phobos Drilling and Manufacturing wrote:Brody just casually ignored the fact that communism caused 58 million deaths.

If you want to start an atrocity olympics thread because you can't defend your assertment that empathy runs contrary to human nature, you are welcome to do so.

Are you claiming that one has to be a communist in order to be empathic?
31 year-old multiracial Hispanic homosexual male with Neurofibromatosis type 1. Neurodivergent. Yes, I do live in Minneapolis.
Gamer. Agnostic. Civic Nationalist. Hawkish & Centrist. I smoke cannabis.

Political compass results
AmericanValues 2 results
Religious Values Test
NO Telegrams please.
Stand with Israel

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

New-Minneapolis wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:If you want to start an atrocity olympics thread because you can't defend your assertment that empathy runs contrary to human nature, you are welcome to do so.

Valles Marineris Mining co wrote:Communism: Humans aren’t naturally selfish and greedy

You might want to read back, Sire.

MT/MagicT

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

It's very hard to understand this "human nature" philosophy, I suspect because there's very little in the way of genuine thought behind it. As we see in this thread, the same people will say both that communism cannot work because of human nature, and also that evil communism killed 80 unvigintillion people. If there is such a thing as human nature that will inevitably and irresistibly control our actions, then how can anyone be blamed for all those deaths? Surely it was just their nature, same as a lion killing an antelope. And surely it must also be in our nature to pursue communism, otherwise why do people keep doing it? If the answer is that people can act against their nature, well then the original point that communism cannot work because of human nature is wrong.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

New-Minneapolis wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:If you want to start an atrocity olympics thread because you can't defend your assertment that empathy runs contrary to human nature, you are welcome to do so.

The implication does seem to be that empathy leads towards communist beliefs.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General