NATION

PASSWORD

What does California's future look like?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of California's future?

It looks bleak. The state is doomed unless big changes are made.
72%
Things may be rough now, but I think it will be okay in the end.
28%

Total votes : 104

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:54 am

There’s always been a bit of a myth that LA is a desert next to an ocean. That’s not true, it’s a dry summer climate. It is short of water however.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:28 am

Finalis wrote:man californians really are the touchiest out of any state in america. even new yorkers don't complain this much when people from new jersey knock their state (at least nj had james gandalfini, we was awesome)

That's because New York and New Jersey objectively suck, so it wouldn't make sense to complain when people point out this fact.

California, however, is objectively the best state, so obviously it makes sense that Californians would complain when non-Californians criticize it.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:10 pm

California is the Dubai of U.S. states.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

NEON Cactus Kid
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby NEON Cactus Kid » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:54 pm

Ayytaly wrote:California is the Dubai of U.S. states.

A parody of the 21st century?

The House of Hamid
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Hamid » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:12 pm

Have you ever seen "Demolition man"? :D
-ПТН- -ХЛО-
●▬ஜ☪ 1881 - 193∞ ☪ஜ▬●
Yaşasın Azərbaycan Qəhrəmanları!
"Fakat zehir kadar acı olsa da hakikat ilacını içiniz." - Kâzım Karabekir
Better to have lived a free man and be damned than to have lived a slave and be rewarded for it.

Existential Cats
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 21, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Existential Cats » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 pm

The House of Hamid wrote:Have you ever seen "Demolition man"? :D

More like Escape from L.A. ;)
(=^・ω・^=) Existential Cats /ᐠ‸⑅‸ ᐟ\ノ

The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?

t. zhuangzi

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:33 pm

i watched a movie recently and apparently it could be underwater pretty soon
Z

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:31 pm

Free Algerstonia wrote:i watched a movie recently and apparently it could be underwater pretty soon

I watched a TV show recently and apparently they have huge green women practicing law there now.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:20 pm

Eahland wrote:
Free Algerstonia wrote:i watched a movie recently and apparently it could be underwater pretty soon

I watched a TV show recently and apparently they have huge green women practicing law there now.

Apparently people visit other planets with skyscraper sized sandworms. Never knew that. Amazing the things you learn in movies. :D
Finalis wrote:california is just funny in general

august 24: california bans the sale of new gasoline-powered cars
august 30: california asks californians to avoid charging electric vehicles due to electricity shortages, probably because they keep shuttering their nuclear power plants because of the "green" energy movement without any viable alternative to replace them

The day the world accepts the obvious answer of nuclear power is the day that we have a serious chance at mitigating climate change.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:02 pm

Eahland wrote:

Last time I checked, there aren't any Orion lawyers here.

Edit: Oh right
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

The French Army
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The French Army » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:03 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Finalis wrote:man californians really are the touchiest out of any state in america. even new yorkers don't complain this much when people from new jersey knock their state (at least nj had james gandalfini, we was awesome)

That's because New York and New Jersey objectively suck, so it wouldn't make sense to complain when people point out this fact.

California, however, is objectively the best state, so obviously it makes sense that Californians would complain when non-Californians criticize it.

New York (State) has affordable housing and enough water.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:38 pm

The French Army wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

New York state is $100,000 above the national average.

Also, it's weird for you all to get so worked up about our water problems. I'm sure the people in Flint wished you cared this much about them. Or Jackson, Mississippi.

Well, I guess 'care' is not the appropriate word since you don't seem to actually give a shit but instead want to celebrate the challenges of others for some weird fucking reason.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Vavlar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Vavlar » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 pm

Horrible unless cloud salting is used for water collection, water pipes installed to save water, and other measures to help save water from evaporation.

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:42 pm

Vavlar wrote:Horrible unless cloud salting is used for water collection, water pipes installed to save water, and other measures to help save water from evaporation.

Wait, you mean RESERVOIRS?!
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Vavlar wrote:Horrible unless cloud salting is used for water collection, water pipes installed to save water, and other measures to help save water from evaporation.

You have to have a cloud to seed it. And it has to be pretty close to raining on its own. You can't just seed a puffy little cumulus cloud and bang there's rain.

And it's not like we've been sitting around waiting for everyone else to come up with their own dumb ideas. We have numbers of methods we've employed to limit evaporation. Like how we dumped a bunch of plastic balls in a reservoir.

Some of you seem to be under the impression that since we haven't solved this over night we're not doing anything at all. That's silly. Don't be silly. If you want to wax on about California water policy, do this: More than a thirty second google search or repeat some bullshit 2 minute California hate on some dumbass' radio or tv show.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:35 pm

Desert wasteland in the south, like much of the rest of the Southwest.

Vavlar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Vavlar » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:15 am

Adamede wrote:Desert wasteland in the south, like much of the rest of the Southwest.

Not the north or sierra neveda.

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:39 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The French Army wrote:

Also, it's weird for you all to get so worked up about our water problems. I'm sure the people in Flint wished you cared this much about them. Or Jackson, Mississippi.

Well, I guess 'care' is not the appropriate word since you don't seem to actually give a shit but instead want to celebrate the challenges of others for some weird fucking reason.

That’s because NYC whacks out the average. (House prices). Even parts of Nassau are affordable once you factor in local pay.

Upstate has lots of cheap houses though.

It’s really the insane government that’s the pain. Needing ID to buy whipped cream etc.

Neoliberal Consensus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoliberal Consensus » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:58 am

It looks awesome because it's going to be more diverse, have more Netflix movies, and everyone will be working in gig economy jobs to grow our GDP and stick it to the fascist red states.
#Resistance #DemocracyDiesInDarkness.

Pro: Black Lives Matter, rich people, urban people, drone strikes on Middle Easterners, Israel, Corporate America, War on Terror, surveillance state, immigrants, federal police, transgender rights, George Bush, late night talk show hosts, Hillary Clinton, Michael Bloomberg, consumerism, celebrity worship
Anti: White people, poor people, rural people, Palestinians, Syrians, Russians, antisemitism, small businesses, independent media, middle class people, nativism, populism, fascism, Nazism, independent financial systems, retail investors, podcasters, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:09 am

Neoliberal Consensus wrote:It looks awesome because it's going to be more diverse, have more Netflix movies, and everyone will be working in gig economy jobs to grow our GDP and stick it to the fascist red states.

Netflix will die the moment they turn an Hispanic character black. You don't fuck with the esses.

New Zoigai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zoigai » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:15 am

California isnt as screwed as people make it out to be, sure they have some huge issues that need to be fixed but they also have great tourist destinations and some decent weather in the actual inhabited parts, especially on the coast. I doubt it will become a failed state anytime soon, but there may be a small reduction in population until the issues are fixed
African American, Born near the Pacific Ocean, Protestant Christian, History Lover, 6'2, Teenager
A Class 0.1 Civilization according to this index.
Political Math Graph results
https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-0.72

"Freedom From one thing is bondage to its opposite. Choose to be bonded by the thing that benefits you more"
NS stats are Working in the deepest coal mines we have discovered and arent canon

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:45 am

New Zoigai wrote:California isnt as screwed as people make it out to be, sure they have some huge issues that need to be fixed but they also have great tourist destinations and some decent weather in the actual inhabited parts, especially on the coast. I doubt it will become a failed state anytime soon, but there may be a small reduction in population until the issues are fixed

For a state as indebted as California a reduction in population is a recipe for a failed state. Every person that leaves is someone not contributing to the states obligations, which means the people remaining have to pay more, which, since people are leaving because of the cost, means more will leave, compounding the problem.

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The French Army wrote:

Neither of those places are in new york
Last edited by Haganham on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

New Zoigai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zoigai » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:51 am

Haganham wrote:
New Zoigai wrote:California isnt as screwed as people make it out to be, sure they have some huge issues that need to be fixed but they also have great tourist destinations and some decent weather in the actual inhabited parts, especially on the coast. I doubt it will become a failed state anytime soon, but there may be a small reduction in population until the issues are fixed

For a state as indebted as new york a reduction in population is a recipe for a failed state. Every person that leaves is someone not contributing to the states obligations, which means the people remaining have to pay more, which, since people are leaving because of the cost, means more will leave, compounding the problem.

But even with the people leaving, California still is seeing a net gain. Unless 200,000 people leave at once their isnt way too much to be concerned about in the short term. Its now just figuring out how to fix the issues that have people leaving, which some of them are easier to fix than others
African American, Born near the Pacific Ocean, Protestant Christian, History Lover, 6'2, Teenager
A Class 0.1 Civilization according to this index.
Political Math Graph results
https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-0.72

"Freedom From one thing is bondage to its opposite. Choose to be bonded by the thing that benefits you more"
NS stats are Working in the deepest coal mines we have discovered and arent canon

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:14 am

Haganham wrote:

For a state as indebted as California a reduction in population is a recipe for a failed state. Every person that leaves is someone not contributing to the states obligations, which means the people remaining have to pay more, which, since people are leaving because of the cost, means more will leave, compounding the problem.

Cannot think of a name wrote:New York state is $100,000 above the national average.

Neither of those places are in new york

Look who gets an A on their geography test.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am

Vavlar wrote:
Adamede wrote:Desert wasteland in the south, like much of the rest of the Southwest.

Not the north or sierra neveda.

No I expect them and the rest of the Cascades to remain pretty wet. Now the interior, which is already desert in many places will get even drier.
Last edited by Adamede on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General