NATION

PASSWORD

The fall of Norm Coleman

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: The fall of Norm Coleman

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Enphos wrote:Consuls were Senators, and the highest ranked ones as well.

Go back to Roman History 101, and don't come back until you can name every piece of equipment a Roman Legionnaire wore at his height, his nickname, the Senate's duties, all major offices, and what each one entails.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Magechill-Izeckistan wrote:There were two Consuls, who ruled for a year and then another election or something happened.They ruled above the senate.Julius/Caligula/Little boots was dictator for six months, got syphilis, and then made his horse a senator.

*Twitch* CALIGULA was an EMPEROR, and he made his horse a CONSUL!
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Altergo
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 pm

So, a Consul is like a Emperor, but pays attention to the Senate?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

Go back to Roman History 101, and don't come back until you can name every piece of equipment a Roman Legionnaire wore at his height, his nickname, the Senate's duties, all major offices, and what each one entails.

Huh?

And yes, CM, Caligula was an emperor and so was able to name Incitatus to a suffect consulship (consulate? damn, late in the day). But by Caligula's time the rules were different.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Huh?

And yes, CM, Caligula was an emperor and so was able to name Incitatus to a suffect consulship (consulate? damn, late in the day). But by Caligula's time the rules were different.

Even during the Republic, Consuls were NOT Senators.

Enphos
Secretary

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enphos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 pm

I don't see how my statement was wrong, Consul was the highest possible position to be elected to in the senate.
:eyebrow:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Altergo wrote:So, a Consul is like a Emperor, but pays attention to the Senate?

I'm afraid there is no cure for you. I'll arrange for the Legionnaires to pick you up later in the day for exile. No hard feelings?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Enphos wrote:I don't see how my statement was wrong, Consul was the highest possible position to be elected to in the senate.

They were not SENATORS, and therefore, could not be the highest ranked SENATORS. >:(

New Limacon
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Limacon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
New Limacon wrote:True, but I think the voting system is more to blame than the voters. A system where you only vote for one person allows brouhahas like this or the 2000 presidential to happen as often as they do. (Which actually isn't that often. But still, it could be avoided.)

US presidential elections have only gone to the House twice (1824 and 1876), and only twice, in a two-man ran, has the winner of the popular vote not become president (1876 and 2000). So I think we're doing fine, thanks.

If you assume the guy who was elected without any trouble really represents the preferences of all voters. Who would have won in 1992 if people could vote for more than one person, or listed all of their preferences (not just the top)? Or 1860? Or any of the other times all candidates have received less than a majority of the votes?
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Enphos wrote:I don't see how my statement was wrong, Consul was the highest possible position to be elected to in the senate.

They were not SENATORS, and therefore, could not be the highest ranked SENATORS. >:(

WE GET IT! WE GET IT! YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL ABOUT IT EVERY 5 SECONDS!
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 pm

We're getting a little off-subject here, gentlemen. This isn't supposed to be an over-the-top pissing contest about the Roman Senate. It's supposed to be an over-the-top pissing contest about the U.S. Senate.

Let's try to keep our eye on the ball.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Allrule wrote:WE GET IT! WE GET IT! YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL ABOUT IT EVERY 5 SECONDS!

Then don't push forward an uninformed point of view.

Enphos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Enphos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Oh, I see, you're trying to distinguish between the two ranks, thanks for explaining that. :roll:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Enphos wrote:Oh, I see, you're trying to distinguish between the two ranks, thanks for explaining that. :roll:

No, I'm distinguishing between 'Senator' and 'Consul' two entirely different positions. Something you seem to be unable to do.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enphos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Enphos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Enphos wrote:Oh, I see, you're trying to distinguish between the two ranks, thanks for explaining that. :roll:

No, I'm distinguishing between 'Senator' and 'Consul' two entirely different positions. Something you seem to be unable to do.

Are you a descendent of Julius Caesar himself or something? Honestly, I'm sorry that I wasn't aware that Consul's weren't actually members of Senate.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Enphos wrote:Are you a descendent of Julius Caesar himself or something? Honestly, I'm sorry that I wasn't aware that Consul's weren't actually members of Senate.

Insofar as the President is not a member of the Senate... Yes. They weren't.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Enphos wrote:

Are you a descendent of Julius Caesar himself or something? Honestly, I'm sorry that I wasn't aware that Consul's weren't actually members of Senate.

GAIVS JVLIVS CÆSAR has no living descendants. His sister, on the other hand, has at least 8 million. JVLIA CÆSARIS is an ancestress of Charlemagne, who has at least 8 million living descendants.

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 pm

CM, read this :
We're getting a little off-subject here, gentlemen. This isn't supposed to be an over-the-top pissing contest about the Roman Senate. It's supposed to be an over-the-top pissing contest about the U.S. Senate.

Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Altergo wrote:So, a Consul is like a Emperor, but pays attention to the Senate?

I will concede that the consuls did not have to necessarily have to be senators - I can't find anything that says they did - but they certainly became senators, members of the Senate, because they presided over that body.

Anyway, Alterego, you have to think about Rome as having two very distinct parts to her history. The Republic, from about 509 BCE, and the Empire, from about 27 BCE.

After the Kings were driven out, the Romans set up two chief magistrates, the consuls. They were elected and served a one-year term, and then governed a province (once Rome had provinces, that is). They could be re-elected, though not usually right away. The consulate was such a prize that it was guarded very jealously by the oligarchy of families that controlled the State. Don't be fooled by the annual elections, Rome never was a democracy. The elections were arranged so that the classes of voters who were sure to elect the "right people" always voted first and their votes always made the other classes' votes superfluous. It's true that some men were elected as novi homines, new men. Gaius Marius and Marcus Cicero are the most notable examples, but they were elected because the oligarchy opened its ranks to allow them in.

Once Octavian defeated Antony and became the sole ruler of the Republic, he was given a number of powers, including the right to veto any measure passed by the Senate. He was not given the power to nominate consuls by law (that I know of) but his prestige, his auctoritas, was so great that his nominees were always elected, as was he when he decided to run (Augustus served as consul fourteen times in all).

Now, the consulate was still a huge honor, and it became a way for the emperor to reward loyal followers (or chariot-pullers). A couple of men would be nominated to the office and take office on January 1st, serve for two or three months, then resign so the emperor could name a replacement, or suffectus. Sometimes there might be six or even eight consules in a year. It was especially cool to serve with the emperor as the other consul.

Anyway, the article on Roman society at Roman-Empire.net might be a good place to start reading.

Whew.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Allrule wrote:CM, read this :

Yeah, yeah ... back on topic: Al Franken rules.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 pm

New Limacon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
New Limacon wrote:True, but I think the voting system is more to blame than the voters. A system where you only vote for one person allows brouhahas like this or the 2000 presidential to happen as often as they do. (Which actually isn't that often. But still, it could be avoided.)

US presidential elections have only gone to the House twice (1824 and 1876), and only twice, in a two-man ran, has the winner of the popular vote not become president (1876 and 2000). So I think we're doing fine, thanks.

If you assume the guy who was elected without any trouble really represents the preferences of all voters. Who would have won in 1992 if people could vote for more than one person, or listed all of their preferences (not just the top)? Or 1860? Or any of the other times all candidates have received less than a majority of the votes?

I would expect that in 1860 Lincoln would have gotten the majority of the First Place votes, just as Clinton would have in 1992. Do you think voters would go, "Cool, dude, I can mix up my votes!"

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:08 pm

So did Caligula appoint his horse because he was batshit insane? Or was he just fucking with the senate when he did that?
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Enphos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Enphos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:09 pm

Geniasis wrote:So did Caligula appoint his horse because he was batshit insane? Or was he just fucking with the senate when he did that?

He was trying to show the senate that a horse could do a better job than them.

Scolopendra
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scolopendra » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

This is not the time nor place to be talking about Roman society. I shall threadsplit then unlock.

EDIT: You know what? No. I'm not going to unlock this, because a link to a news story and an image macro does not any sort of post make. This is for debate. Use it for debate.
Last edited by Scolopendra on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General