NATION

PASSWORD

Police: Heroes or Villains?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:45 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Except it is cultural. Immigrants keep their culture. Their sons born in the West adopt Western norms including urban culture.

Yeah that's a claim you made I just don't see any reason to think it's true.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:
Except it is cultural. Immigrants keep their culture. Their sons born in the West adopt Western norms including urban culture.

Yeah that's a claim you made I just don't see any reason to think it's true.

Probably because you don't experience the situation.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Ayytaly wrote:

No, because there's a total lack of evidence and your personal experiences add nothing to the vacuum.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:40 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:

No, because there's a total lack of evidence and your personal experiences add nothing to the vacuum.

Academia is trustworthy?
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:46 pm

Ayytaly wrote:
Academia is trustworthy?

Compared to what? If we're comparing it to statements by the most vocal randos then yes, academia is much more trustworthy and it's weird that would be in question.

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:53 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:
Academia is trustworthy?

Compared to what? If we're comparing it to statements by the most vocal randos then yes, academia is much more trustworthy and it's weird that would be in question.

Even if it has been compromised?

https://freedomandfulfilment.com/public-trust-academia/

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:56 pm

Ayytaly wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Even if it has been compromised?

Des-Bal: We should trust peer-reviewed studies more than the unsubstantiated assertions of vocal internet randos.

Ayytaly: To refute your point, I present the unsubstantiated assertions of a vocal internet rando named Aaron.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:57 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:Even if it has been compromised?

Des-Bal: We should trust peer-reviewed studies more than the unsubstantiated assertions of vocal internet randos.

Ayytaly: To refute your point, I present the unsubstantiated assertions of a vocal internet rando named Aaron.

I was basically going to say this. Just imagine I said this.

I O A
Civilian

Founded: Sep 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby I O A » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 pm

It depends on who they are as a person. The word 'police' is just a title they carry, they can be good or bad. Just like a piece of clothing, it can look good on someone and look bad on someone else. My nation is fascist (I am just joking around) and I absolutely do not care what happens to my economy. Political freedom? Never heard of it. Civil rights? What's that? Here on my Isle of NO fleeing, my prisoners-- I mean citizens, are to stay forever and NEVER leave. Tourism is prohibited, gun ownership is encouraged, the legal age to join the military is 14, & the words of the supreme commander are absolute.

Eras
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Eras » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 pm

The thing that has not been mentioned in the fact that we see police brutality in the new all the time. This allows our brains to believe that there is more police brutality than there actually is. This is the availability heuristic. I don't know much about the police, but we should all be wary of biases in our thinking. :)

Eras
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Eras » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:19 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Floofybit wrote:Who cares how long? That's one person. Not every cop

no one is saying every cop has killed good fucking lord
but you also cannot say "tHaT's jUsT oNe PeRsOn" when there are dozens if not hundreds of reports of police brutality and abuse out there
and when there are so many that get away with it for so long, that is an indication that there is something rotten within the whole system

The point he was making by saying thats just one person was that this was the anecdotal bias and that using an isolated example does not prove anything

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:42 pm

Most sheriffs are okay. Most investigators and the like are okay. Most well-trained, dedicated SWAT and SpecOps are okay in a sort of disciplined douche sort of way — toxic people personally, but they don't step out of line on duty.

It's the police that are sent out to patrol that are usually the issue. You give a psychotic individual power, boredom, and a quota of money to collect and terror to instill and they're going to end up horrible agents of harm. If you tell someone to go looking for crime, they're going to find it whether it is there or not, and then they're going to make society pay for existing.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:31 am

Eras wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:no one is saying every cop has killed good fucking lord
but you also cannot say "tHaT's jUsT oNe PeRsOn" when there are dozens if not hundreds of reports of police brutality and abuse out there
and when there are so many that get away with it for so long, that is an indication that there is something rotten within the whole system

The point he was making by saying that's just one person was that this was the anecdotal bias and that using an isolated example does not prove anything

LAPD and MYPD aren't just one person. Neither is STLPD or Portland and austin.

These departments are literally breaking the law still. You haven't looked into the facts.

There are effortposts talking about this i suggest you read them if you or anyone else are serious about being challenged on this: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=496630&p=38163628#p38163628
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=491405&p=38428821#p38428821
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=503996&p=38600549#p38600549
Last edited by Uiiop on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
#NSTransparency

Forever Indomitable
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Forever Indomitable » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:12 am

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:It depends on the context. I'm pro-White criminals in general because my race is excessively domesticated and we need those genetics to give us better health and quality. I'm also proud of who I am and I do come from some criminals in my family. People say criminals never produce anything good, but I'm a hard worker, loyal to my friends, my teachers say I'm smart and some people find me attractive. If it wasn't for my heritage, I wouldn't be who I am and I like who I am and so do the people I've helped in life. I have a small respect for anyone who puts their ass on the line to take something for themself because that hunger is the origin of all ambition.

Weren't you saying that you weren't into Social Darwinism? Why are you once more unironically spouting this cringe racial "survival of the fittest" and "might make right" ?
I actually agree that your family gives you the basis upon which you build yourself, but the truth remains that it is you who by your own Free Will actually make who you are.

As for criminals, valuing them as some sort of "noble savage" is one of the weirdest thing to me and make me wonder whether you grew up along those aforementioned criminal family members while they were "in their prime" or just interacted with them once they were back into normal society. Do you think a gangbanger has some grand ambition motivating him ? That a petty thief or dealer has some "honorable side" he is hiding ? They're just peoples who take the path of least effort and greatest immediate satisfaction.

Weren't you saying that you weren't into Social Darwinism?

Yes, because I'm not, I value things like welfare, compassion and cooperation, but in concert and compliment with things independence, aggression and competition. Stephen Hawking was a good physicist and he was able to make his contributions in part to people caring for him. I also have a high respect for Helen Keller. She demonstrates that disabled people can be inspirational and strong people in their own right.

Why are you once more unironically spouting this cringe racial "survival of the fittest" and "might make right" ?

Once again, I'm not, "survival of the fittest" means how well an organism adapts to it's environment, not "da strongest survive". I'm in favor of changing the environment because the environment selects exclusively for "sheepishness". As for "might makes right", I don't subscribe to such a notion and this is illustrated by my utter dejection at the state of this world.

but the truth remains that it is you who by your own Free Will actually make who you are.

I don't believe in Free Will, or at least absolute Free Will, but that's another discussion.

As for criminals, valuing them as some sort of "noble savage" is one of the weirdest thing to me

Well, I don't and this is a misunderstanding on your part. I am saying all people have traits and assets that have some kind of value in some kind of context. There are things I value about both the civilized man and the "noble savage" (which isn't even a concept I subscribe to).

just interacted with them once they were back into normal society

I have my experiences that widened my perspective and I will simply reiterate that most, if not all people have something to offer at an individual and collective level.

Do you think a gangbanger has some grand ambition motivating him ?

Sure, that motivation can be anything from money to community to whatever else. Everyone has motivation for the things they do. The difference is that (some) criminals have an innate boldness that pushes them to do dangerous things for their benefit. That is a very, very valuable form of courage and ambition at its core.

That a petty thief or dealer has some "honorable side" he is hiding ?

Depends on who and what the situation is. My mom went to prison because she was a disabled single mother trying to provide a better financial situation for us by selling narc. That being said, I respect risk taking to improve your station. It means you have balls, whether man or woman.

They're just peoples who take the path of least effort and greatest immediate satisfaction.

There's nothing "low effort" about most forms of crime. You have to put your ass on the line and being even moderately successful in the field of illegal activities certainly requires it's own work ethic. Bank robbery, home invasion, assassination, hacking and so on and so forth are objectively not "low effort", regardless of your moral positions on the topics.
Last edited by Forever Indomitable on Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living in the limelight, the universal dream
For those who wish to seem
Those who wish to be, must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation, the underlying theme

Forever Indomitable
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Forever Indomitable » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:01 am

Floofybit wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:

In simple terms, yes. It demonstrates a decline in both testosterone and cognitive diversity.

Well, that's exactly what's happening, at least in the US, but that doesn't help my people. We need more cognitive variety within our race for our health. We have become very 1-dimensional and limited. More genetic variety (within our race) will make us physically healthier, intelligent and varied in appearance and mind. It's an issue of long term survival and beauty.

I'm better than some people at some things and this applies to everyone and there are many ways I am inferior to many others.

Everyone judges everything; it is a result of being sensorial entities. We evolved to judge things, just like every other animal. What matters is how you judge people, not that you judge at all.

No, they have their value like any other. The desire to protect others is a useful thing, but in the context of Euros and Asians, we took it too far and are now far less dynamic, intelligent and healthy as a result.

Testosterone and cognitive diversity? Being white doesn't change anything! Culture does. Just because you are white, doesn't mean you are very different than your ethnically different neighbor down the street. We need more cognitive diversity? No. We don't. We don't need the criminal ideology. We don't need prey and predators. We aren't rabid, wild animals. We are diverse people, with diverse ideologies, but we, on no level, need a killer on the loose, putting us in fear of death everyday, just because there isn't one. That is corrupt as frick. It's okay to judge others? No! You can have impulsive, intrusive thoughts of judging others, but you shouldn't act on them! You don't get to say you're better than others when we all have made mistakes. We're not perfect, and you can't say you're more perfect than another. Cops have made us less dynamic? Uniformity is a good thing! When we think the same, we are stronger. We are one. We are one unified society, and if we have criminals trying to break our society from the inside, we will fall apart and fail. We should act as one.

This is all completely wrong and I will address it in a future thread in detail so as not to stray further off topic.
Last edited by Forever Indomitable on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:07 am

Floofybit wrote:Testosterone and cognitive diversity? Being white doesn't change anything! Culture does. Just because you are white, doesn't mean you are very different than your ethnically different neighbor down the street. We need more cognitive diversity? No. We don't. We don't need the criminal ideology. We don't need prey and predators. We aren't rabid, wild animals. We are diverse people, with diverse ideologies, but we, on no level, need a killer on the loose, putting us in fear of death everyday, just because there isn't one. That is corrupt as frick. It's okay to judge others? No! You can have impulsive, intrusive thoughts of judging others, but you shouldn't act on them! You don't get to say you're better than others when we all have made mistakes. We're not perfect, and you can't say you're more perfect than another. Cops have made us less dynamic? Uniformity is a good thing! When we think the same, we are stronger. We are one. We are one unified society, and if we have criminals trying to break our society from the inside, we will fall apart and fail. We should act as one.

This is all completely wrong and I will address it in a future thread in detail so as not to stray further off topic.

No, he's right.

Forever Indomitable
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Forever Indomitable » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:This is all completely wrong and I will address it in a future thread in detail so as not to stray further off topic.

No, he's right.

No, he's wrong and misunderstands the concept I'm trying to convey because he reduces everything to a dichotomous extreme. I'll explain in full in the future, have patience. This isn't the thread to do it, though, so stop baiting.

Ayytaly
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:18 am

Ayytaly wrote:
No, he's right.

No, he's wrong and misunderstands the concept I'm trying to convey because he reduces everything to a dichotomous extreme. I'll explain in full in the future, have patience. This isn't the thread to do it, though, so stop baiting.

No, he has your number and exposed your flimsy excuses. Also why are you back?

Forever Indomitable
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Forever Indomitable » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:31 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:No, he's wrong and misunderstands the concept I'm trying to convey because he reduces everything to a dichotomous extreme. I'll explain in full in the future, have patience. This isn't the thread to do it, though, so stop baiting.

No, he has your number and exposed your flimsy excuses. Also why are you back?

I don't have any "excuses" and like I said, wait for the official thread I will make on this topic if you want to debate instead of slinging around worthless one-liners. Why not be back? I'm human and I am compelled to socialize with others.

Zerotaxia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 11, 2022
Anarchy

Postby Zerotaxia » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKyGJ3jb40

Rather have no police than clowns like these and Uvalde PD "serving and protecting" me.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:46 am

Zerotaxia wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKyGJ3jb40

Rather have no police than clowns like these and Uvalde PD "serving and protecting" me.

Let me get this straight...
1. They parked the policecar on railroad tracks
2. They put a woman in handcuffs in the back
3. They did nothing when they heard the train approaching
4. Boom

Why are they merely suspended instead of in jail?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Fourth Jellian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Fourth Jellian Republic » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:54 am

The problem is that people expect cops at their best to be protectors.
But really their role is enforcers

Most are people that wanted to protect others.

But there are too many bad ones out there.
Too easy for corruption to happen. For abuse of power to happen.
Too easy for a trigger happy cop to kill with no consequences.

The solution I think would be to screen recruits better, pay cops better wages, raise the minimum standard of education for cops, don’t shield them from liability, make sure there is MUCH more oversight, and give them the job of protector.

But police is Uber local so good luck changing that in one broad stroke.
Last edited by Fourth Jellian Republic on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Not my first account (approx +2000000000000000000000000000000000000 to posts)
Stats don’t necessarily reflect real views, just messing around with those

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:07 am

Fourth Jellian Republic wrote:The problem is that people expect cops at their best to be protectors.

The solution I think would be to screen recruits better, pay cops better wages, raise the minimum standard of education for cops, don’t shield them from liability, make sure there is MUCH more oversight, and give them the job of protector.

I pretty much think everyone who isn't affluent should get much higher wages than they're currently getting though I gotta say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for cops to get a raise first rather than, say, pizza delivery guys whose job is twice as deadly and who *checks notes* don't murder innocent people on a daily basis and who... *checks notes again* make the world a better place by bringing pizza.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Kaskalma
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kaskalma » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:16 am

I live in a suburb and people have mixed feelings about the police. Everybody likes the police officers, especially the more senior ones. But nobody like the administration running the department because they make bad decisions. I think police are great, there are just some officers that abuse the power entrusted to them.

Fourth Jellian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Fourth Jellian Republic » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:38 am

Page wrote:
Fourth Jellian Republic wrote:The problem is that people expect cops at their best to be protectors.

I pretty much think everyone who isn't affluent should get much higher wages than they're currently getting though I gotta say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for cops to get a raise first rather than, say, pizza delivery guys whose job is twice as deadly and who *checks notes* don't murder innocent people on a daily basis and who... *checks notes again* make the world a better place by bringing pizza.

While many parts of society need higher wages, I put this here because I thought it might improve the situation with cops.
Higher wages can mean this is a more coveted job. More applicants mean better finalists.
(They also have more to loose with bad behavior)
Less stress and desperation around poor wages can also improve a myriad of psychological and physical things affecting a cops performance and actions.
Not my first account (approx +2000000000000000000000000000000000000 to posts)
Stats don’t necessarily reflect real views, just messing around with those

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General