NATION

PASSWORD

The 2022-23 NCAA College Football Discussion (FBS, FCS, DII)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

The 2022-23 NCAA College Football Discussion (FBS, FCS, DII)

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 pm

Disclaimer:
This thread is for debating and discussing the
sport called "football" (more commonly known as
American football, gridiron, or handegg) in the
United States of America played at the collegiate
level. For discussion of the sport called "soccer" in
North America that's called "football" elsewhere in
the world, try here.
It's time to, once again, start yet another college football thread. The season is fast approaching us and we have a lot to look forward to. It's finally Post-Pandemic (endemic) and we are now in the "new normal", but, let's not fret. Please, let's not debate about that, keep it in other threads that are appropriate for that topic. Now, on to the games, shall we?

Week 0 of the 2022-2023 season kicks off on Saturday, August 27th with a few high-power matchups. Vanderbilt going to the Islands to take on Hawai'i, Nebraska vs Northwestern in an International Game in Dublin, Ireland, Wyoming taking on Illinois, and one of the Battles of Texas in North Texas at U. of Texas at El Paso.

Week 1 starts with the high-powered Alabama Crimson Tide taking on the Utah State Aggies and the Louisville Cardinals taking on the Syracuse Orange on Saturday. It continues Sunday with the LSU Tigers taking on the Florida State Seminoles and then the Clemson Tigers taking on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Lots of news in the offseason. Some things to keep in mind as the season goes along:
  1. How have the Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) rules affected Football so far after its acceptance?
  2. With UCLA and USC officially leaving the Pac-12 and joining the Big 10 by 2024, how will their last few years in the Pac-12 play out?
  3. Arch Manning giving a Verbal Commitment to the Texas Longhorns, how does that affect other D-1 schools and their recruitment efforts throughout this season?

1. I think the NIL Rules have not affected things that much if any at all. Although, with only one season in the books for these rules, we will see how things will change for this season if they adapt any more than they already have, or if things get better.

2. Wow, some new news hit this off-season, didn't it? Last year it was the Texas Longhorns and the Oklahoma Sooners jumping ship from the Big 12 to the SEC, now this year it's the UCLA Bruins and the USC Trojans jumping ship from the Pac-12 to the Big10. Are we seeing the start of another major reorganization in College Football?

3. And now, we have the big news out of Louisiana. Arch Manning, the grandson of Archie Manning, Son of Cooper, and Nephew of Eli and Peyton, has verbally committed to playing with the Texas Longhorns after he graduates High School at the end of the 2022-2023 season. How will this affect recruiting throughout the season? Will other teams, such as the Georgia Bulldogs, LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide, THe Ohio State Buckeyes, or other high-powered teams in their recruitment efforts? Will they double their efforts, or stay on the path?

What's your take, college football fans? What bold predictions do you have for this season? Will the Georgia Bulldogs repeat? Will Alabama finally take back the crown? With Ohio State shock everyone? Or will some other unknown upstart team come in out of nowhere and lift the FBS National Championship Trophy high into the air on January 9th, 2023? Who do you have?
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:35 am

Week 0 Rankings of
The 2022 National College Athletic Association
Division 1 - Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)

SPOTAP PollAFCA Coaches Poll
01Alabama (-)Alabama (-)
02The Ohio State (-)The Ohio State (-)
03Georgia (-)Georgia (-)
04Clemson (-)Clemson (-)
05Notre Dame (-)Notre Dame (-)
06Texas A&M (-)Michigan (-)
07Utah (-)Texas A&M (-)
08Michigan (-)Utah (-)
09Oklahoma (-)Oklahoma (-)
10Baylor (-)Baylor (-)
11Oregon (-)Oklahoma State (-)
12Oklahoma State (-)Oregon (-)
13North Carolina State (-)North Carolina State (-)
14U. Southern California (-)Michign State U. (-)
15Michigan State (-)U. of Southern California (-)
16Miami (-)Pittsburgh (-)
17Pittsburgh (-)Miami-FL (-)
18Wisconsin (-)Texas (-)
19Arkansas (-)Wake Forest (-)
20Kentucky (-)Wisconsin (-)
21Ole Miss (-)U. of Kentucky (-)
22Wake Forest (-)Cincinnati (-)
23Cincinnati (-)Arkansas (-)
24Houston (-)Ole Miss (-)
25Brigham Young U. (-)Houston (-)

OTHERS RECIEVING VOTES:
AP Poll:

Tennessee - 180 || Texas - 164 || Iowa - 163 || Penn State - 160 || Louisiana State U. - 55 || Fresno State - 32 || Minnesota - 31 || U. Central Florida - 27 || Purdue - 17 || Mississippi State - 15 || Auburn - 15 || Kansas State - 14 || Florida - 14 || North Carolina - 9 || Boise State - 5 || Appalachian State - 4 || Air Force - 4 || South Carolina - 2 || Utah State - 2 || U. California Los Angeles - 2 || San Diego State - 2 || Nebraska - 1

AFCA Coaches Poll:
Iowa - 248 || Penn State - 246 || Tennessee - 163 || Brigham Young U. - 152 || Louisiana State U. - 143 || Aubrun - 98 || U. Central Florida - 55 || North Carolina - 34 || Fresno State - 21 || Mississippi State - 19 || Florida - 17 || Air Force - 12 || Utah State - 12 || Appalachian State - 10 || Boise State - 10 || U. Cal Los Angeles - 10 || Minnesota - 6 || South Carolina - 5 || Kansas State - 4 || Army - 3 || Iowa State - 3 || Southern Methodist U. - 2 || Purdue - 2 || Coastal Carolina - 2 || Louisiana-Lafayette - 2 || Oregon State - 2 || T. Texas San Antonio - 1 || Louisville - 1 || Florida State - 1

Division 1
Football Championship Subdivision (FCS)

01: North Dakota State
02: Montana
03: South Dakota State
04: Montana State
05: Villanova
06: Kennesaw State
07: Sacramento State
08: Missouri State
09: Southern Illinois
10: Stephen F. Austin
11: East Tennessee State
12: Eastern Washington
13: Chattanooga
14: Incarnate Word
15: U. Tennesee Martin
16: Southeastern Louisiana
17: Jackson State
18: Holy Cross
19: Delaware
20: Weber State
21: Northern Iowa
22: U. California Davis
23: Mercer
24: Rhode Island
24: Richmond

Others Receiving Votes:
South Dakota - 49 || Florida A&M - 44 || South Carolina State - 38 || Harvard - 38 || Princeton - 29 || Central Arkansas - 23 || Eastern Kentucky - 18 || Dartmouth - 17 || Nicholls - 8 || William & Mary - 6 || North Carolina A&T - 6 || Furman - 6 || Murray State - 5 || Southeast Missouri State - 3 || Fordham - 3 || Davidson - 3 || Utah Tech - 2 || North Dakota - 2 || Elon - 1 || Austin Peay - 1

AFCA Division II
Coaches Poll

01: Ferris State
02: Northwest Missouri State
03: Valdosta State
04: Colorado School of Mines
05: Grand Valley State
06: Shepard
07: Angelo State
08: Bowie State
09: Harding University
10: Notre Dame College
11: West Florida
12: West Georgia
13: Kutztown
14: Nebraska-Kearney
15: Newberry
16: New Haven
17: Western Colorado
18: Albany State
19: Lenoir-Rhyne
19: Ouachita Baptist
21: California (PA)
22: Bemidji State
23: Slippery Rock
24: Midwestern State
24: Augstatana University (SD)

Others Receiving Votes:
Frostburg State - 97 || Indiana (PA) - 79 || Indianapolis - 65 || Washburn - 59 || Findlay - 52 || Pittsburg State - 46 || Tiffin University - 34 || Minnesota Duluth 32 - || Henderson State - 31 || Central Washington - 25 || Bentley - 24 || Minnesota State - 23 || Ashland - 22 || West Texas A&M - 15 || Saginaw Valley 1 -4 || Truman State - 13 || Colorado State-Pueblo - 7 || Southeastern Oklahoma - 7 || Delta State - 5 || Virginia Union - 4 || Ohio Dominican - 4 || West Alabama - 3 || Shaw - 2 || University of Texas of the Permian Basin - 1 || Chadron State - 1 || West Chester - 1 || Colorado Mesa - 1
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Nlarhyalo
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2021
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nlarhyalo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:21 am

I'll be happy if Nebraska goes 6-6. Can Scott Frost just be fired already?

In the FCS I'm surprised that South Dakota is just outside the top 25. In my opinion they're better than a number of the teams that were ranked.
Θэнижуc элaш Hлařялo / Ðenižus elaš Nlařyalo / Republic of Nlařyalo
--
Hepyёeл 3лaeřo Жэзoя / Neruyoyel Zlayeřo Žezoya / President Zlayeřo Žezoya

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:02 pm

Week 0 kicks off THIS WEEKEND

Who's ready?

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:01 pm

Didn't even know this thread existed until I got started making my own. Maybe college football is dying...

Alabama has their best chance ever to go 15-0 this season and I will be extremely upset if they don't. Though I'll bargain for a 4-8 season if the wins are against the 3 rivals and Texas.

As for Jacksonville State, I still find it hilarious that RichRod ended up in the state of Alabama after all, especially in a place like Jacksonville which is in the middle of absolute nowhere.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Neoliberal Consensus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoliberal Consensus » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:21 pm

I refuse to watch basketball until Brittany Griner is free.
#Resistance #DemocracyDiesInDarkness.

Pro: Black Lives Matter, rich people, urban people, drone strikes on Middle Easterners, Israel, Corporate America, War on Terror, surveillance state, immigrants, federal police, transgender rights, George Bush, late night talk show hosts, Hillary Clinton, Michael Bloomberg, consumerism, celebrity worship
Anti: White people, poor people, rural people, Palestinians, Syrians, Russians, antisemitism, small businesses, independent media, middle class people, nativism, populism, fascism, Nazism, independent financial systems, retail investors, podcasters, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:30 pm

Neoliberal Consensus wrote:I refuse to watch basketball until Brittany Griner is free.

This thread is about college football (American football, gridiron, handegg, whatever you call it). Even still, Griner is a WNBA player and has nothing to do with the NCAA besides being a student athlete at one point. Just saying your comment would be better suited for a different thread.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Neoliberal Consensus wrote:I refuse to watch basketball until Brittany Griner is free.

Yeah, but this thread isn't about Basketball.

Take your white knighting elsewhere.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:15 am

Torisakia wrote:Didn't even know this thread existed until I got started making my own. Maybe college football is dying...

Alabama has their best chance ever to go 15-0 this season and I will be extremely upset if they don't. Though I'll bargain for a 4-8 season if the wins are against the 3 rivals and Texas.

As for Jacksonville State, I still find it hilarious that RichRod ended up in the state of Alabama after all, especially in a place like Jacksonville which is in the middle of absolute nowhere.

Not sure why you didn't know this was going to happen. We talked via TG about me making this iteration. :rofl:

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:46 am

I'm not going to even worry about Week 0 games in FCS. Seeing as there were only like 6 of them. I'll start the scores for them for Week 1.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:29 pm

The FBS games last night were honestly unbelievable in terms of content. Can't say I watched any of them intently, but West Virginia--Pitt and Penn State--Purdue really started the season on the right foot.

Let's choose to ignore Oklahoma State dropping 60 on, and giving up 45 to, Central Michigan
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

United States of Gondor
Secretary

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Gondor » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:58 pm

Honestly stoked for this season; I’m interested in seeing how a few things play out. My favorite to win it all is Alabama; but they face a strong Arkansas team who could shock some people, considering that right now they have to play five ranked teams including the trio of Bama, A&M, and Ole Miss… but also a ranked Cincinnati to open the season and a ranked BYU (both of which will be heading to the Big 12 in the coming seasons) . As well as the rest of the west including a strong Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and maybe even LSU (definitely curious to see how Brian Kelly will do coaching the Bayou Bengals but considering Ed Orgeron won a title in the bayou… I think he’ll do fine) plus a chaotic Mississippi State and hated rival Auburn (who in the eyes of this completely unbiased fan, will suck)

Georgia will not repeat, I believe they might not win the East. They open the season against Oregon, who has had a quite offseason considering the coaching change (granted that could also be because USC and UCLA have taken up all of the spotlight on the West Coast as usual) Oregon-Georgia will be a tough, physical game. And the Oregon O-Line will challenge the young Georgia defense. In SEC play, Georgia has to play a much-improved Tennessee and South Carolina, a always stout Kentucky under Stoops, and Florida. Georgia’s defense might be very good, but I doubt it’ll reach the heights of last years defense; plus the same kyrptonite will remain, the deep ball. UGA’s defense gets beat deep, and since they play several teams that have a QB that can really air it out, coupled with the experience lost from last years team, I think Georgia will underachieve and finish second in the East.

Ohio State is an obvious number two, and will probably remain so throughout the season. The offense is very high-powered and could put 50+ on anybody in the country. The defense… should be improved; if not then the Buckeyes might not reach the Playoffs; as they have to contend with Michigan and Michigan State, both of which will be tough teams; unfortunately whichever teams comes out of the Big Ten West (most likely Wisconsin or Iowa) will be hopelessly overmatched in the title game.

Out of the ACC; I think Clemson also wont be as good as people think, and while most of the ACC will stink… teams like Miami and Pitt will pose a challenge to the Tigers. I do see Clemson winning the conference, but not being good enough to be in the playoff discussion.

The Big 12 champion and playoff representative will be Baylor. But it will be a tight race between the Bears, Oklahoma, and OK State. Texas will finish fourth, if they can actually beat Kansas… Baylor is a well-rounded team, and returns head coach Dave Aranda, and is reigning Big 12 champion.

The Utes will win the PAC-12, and be the fourth team in the playoffs. They return a veteran QB and offense; the question is will Utah be able to handle the pressure? They face what should be a high-powered USC team, and potentially a tough Oregon in the conference title game.
Not all who wander are lost
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:13 pm

TODAYS BIG NEWS

The Board of Governors for the College Football Playoff have passed a resolution ot expand the playoff to a 12 Team Playoff by the 2026 Season, with the system being in place as early as the 2024 season.

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:19 pm

GO HAWKS!
Z

United States of Gondor
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Gondor » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:27 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
TODAYS BIG NEWS

The Board of Governors for the College Football Playoff have passed a resolution ot expand the playoff to a 12 Team Playoff by the 2026 Season, with the system being in place as early as the 2024 season.

That’s going to be fun, and probably gives several opportunities for chaos
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Georgia literally obliterated Oregon.

Poor Ducks.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:46 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Georgia literally obliterated Oregon.

Poor Ducks.

Wait, you mean "cool" Nike uniforms aren't enough to carry a D1 program?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:55 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Georgia literally obliterated Oregon.

Poor Ducks.

Kinda glad I didn't watch it in hindsight. Had other things to do during the 3:30 window, but watched the end of an absolutely wild UNC-Appy State game and then saw the end of another crazy one in a 3OT Houston-UTSA.

Nothing so crazy yet in the 7/7:30/8 window, but sadly my Gamecocks have failed (so far) to put away Georgia State.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 pm

Did anyone notice the upset in the #7 Yotes getting down by the Florida Gators 29-26?

United States of Gondor
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Gondor » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Did anyone notice the upset in the #7 Yotes getting down by the Florida Gators 29-26?

Doesn’t surprise me that much; but the PAC-12 probably isn’t getting represented in the Playoffs this year and are probably eager for the 12-team format
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Sauros
Envoy

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sauros » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Desmond Howard might not be absolutely insane...
Last edited by Sauros on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEMOCRATIC SOCIALIST UNION OF SAUROS
A scientifically-advanced, left-wing and continent-spanning nation; with a pristine environment that just so happens to have dinosaurs (along with other associated prehistoric creatures). Also situated where the continent of Australia is in real life.

Utahn Theocratic Republic
Attaché

Founded: Oct 27, 2021
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Utahn Theocratic Republic » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:29 pm

I am a BYU fan to heart and this opening game was amazing 50-21, it felt good and I can’t wait to see how BYU does this season.
American Football/College Sports puppet of Canadian Dominion

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:40 pm

So. Looking through the Division 2 games, I see that some of them were supposed to have happened today but have no scores. Mainly

Colorado State-Pueblo and Midwestern State
Kutztown and Assumption
Mississippi College and Albany State

Does anyone know what is going on with these games? Were they canceled or postponed?

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:So. Looking through the Division 2 games, I see that some of them were supposed to have happened today but have no scores. Mainly

Kutztown and Assumption

Does anyone know what is going on with these games? Were they canceled or postponed?

Per respective schools websites:

CSU-Pueblo and Midwestern State played. 59-27 CSU-Pueblo.
Kutztown and Assumption played. 3-0 Assumption.
Mississippi College and Albany State played. 28-14 Albany State.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:44 pm

Hulldom wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:So. Looking through the Division 2 games, I see that some of them were supposed to have happened today but have no scores. Mainly

Kutztown and Assumption

Per respective schools websites:

CSU-Pueblo and Midwestern State played. 59-27 CSU-Pueblo.
Kutztown and Assumption played. 3-0 Assumption.
Mississippi College and Albany State played. 28-14 Albany State.

Well, they didn't have those updated on the ESPN website. So I wasn't sure WTF was going on. :rofl:

Now I can update my Draft post with all the scores.
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General