NATION

PASSWORD

The United States needs 10th amendment judges.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Thomasi
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

The United States needs 10th amendment judges.

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:52 pm

The United States desperately needs federal judges who will enforce the 10th amendment The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Here are congresses powers.

1. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

2. To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

3. To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

4. To establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

5. To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

6. To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

7. To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

8. To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

9. To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

10. To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

11. To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

12. To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

13. To provide and maintain a Navy;

14. To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

15. To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

16. To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

17. To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards and other needful Buildings;-And

18. To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

19. Enforce the Prohibition of slavery via the 13th amendment.

20. Enforce the prohibition of discrimination based on race by the states via the 14th amendment

21. Enforce the prohibition of denying any male over the age of 21 from voting via proportional removal of seats from the house of representatives and electoral college via the 14th amendment.

22. Enforce the prohibition of abridging the right to vote based on race via the 15th amendment

23. Income Tax via the 16th amendment.

24. Enforce the prohibition of abridging the right to vote based on sex via the 19th amendment

25. Enforcing the prohibition of poll taxes in federal elections via the 24th amendment.

26. Enforcing the prohibition of abridging the right to vote for persons over the age of 18 via the 26th amendment.

These are the only legislative powers congress has, and all laws not pursuant to the enforcement or fulfillment of these powers should be struck down and left to the states.

Give states back the power to govern themselves then we wouldn't be so divided because states would once again be more like their own countries than not.

If it's not prohibited to the state it gets upheld, and if its not expressly given as a power to congress it gets struck down!
Last edited by Thomasi on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:13 pm

You do realize the 14th amendment was a super amendment to the constitution, taking all the previous rights amendments that bound the federal government and applied them to the states, yes?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Galloism wrote:You do realize the 14th amendment was a super amendment to the constitution, taking all the previous rights amendments that bound the federal government and applied them to the states, yes?

No it didn't the incorporation doctrine is bullshit it simply required states to treat everyone the same under the law without regard for race or citizenship status. It did not require states to apply the bill of rights.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:22 pm

Thomasi wrote:
Galloism wrote:You do realize the 14th amendment was a super amendment to the constitution, taking all the previous rights amendments that bound the federal government and applied them to the states, yes?

No it didn't the incorporation doctrine is bullshit it simply required states to treat everyone the same under the law without regard for race or citizenship status. It did not require states to apply the bill of rights.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States

What does that say about states abridging the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

South Olpen
Senator

Founded: Jan 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:23 pm

Thomasi wrote:

My brother in Jesus Christ almighty, did you just argue against the bill of rights? And furthermore, are you saying states can strike out the 2nd and ban firearms for they do not need to apply the bill of rights?
The Scezonian Telegram Dep. of Defense Announces Anti-Ballistic Missile Research | Election 2028; Opinions of Candidates | War Between Galapagos and Aursi... Again

Male (he/him), American, liberal, represents a slightly exaggerated version of my views, we want mod transparency, greatest wishes to Greatest States of America.

The Blaatschapen wrote:They could serve as a distraction.

Of course, in modern combat, that's what the French are for.

American Legionaries wrote:Baseball fans are liars, bitching about politics is the real American pass time.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Y'know, I get a suspicion that this has nothing to do with States and the 10th Amendment, but all to do with the regulation of firearms, which is not denied by the 2nd Amendment.

It says it shall not be abridged; regulation does not remove that right.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Galloism wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States

What does that say about states abridging the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States?

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States. They simply enforced this clause by making everyone federal citizens and thus meaning the federal government could force states to treat persons from other states the same as their own.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:35 pm

SOUTH OLPEN wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

My brother in Jesus Christ almighty, did you just argue against the bill of rights? And furthermore, are you saying states can strike out the 2nd and ban firearms for they do not need to apply the bill of rights?

The bill of rights was explicitly made to restrict the federal government, the bill or rights nor any amendment is even mentioned in the 14th amendment. If they wanted the bill of rights to apply to the states they would have said that. but they didn't because many states were founded on the bases of specific sects of Christianity and they damn sure weren't going to give up that and become secular.

The 14th amendment was about making former slaves citizens, and striking down Dred Scott.

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Thomasi wrote:
SOUTH OLPEN wrote:My brother in Jesus Christ almighty, did you just argue against the bill of rights? And furthermore, are you saying states can strike out the 2nd and ban firearms for they do not need to apply the bill of rights?

The bill of rights was explicitly made to restrict the federal government, the bill or rights nor any amendment is even mentioned in the 14th amendment. If they wanted the bill of rights to apply to the states they would have said that. but they didn't because many states were founded on the bases of specific sects of Christianity and they damn sure weren't going to give up that and become secular.

The 14th amendment was about making former slaves citizens, and striking down Dred Scott.

Please answer the question at hand; do you believe states should be forced to have the national bill of right, or any, and if not are you hypocritical another to argue that the 2nd is different.
The Scezonian Telegram Dep. of Defense Announces Anti-Ballistic Missile Research | Election 2028; Opinions of Candidates | War Between Galapagos and Aursi... Again

Male (he/him), American, liberal, represents a slightly exaggerated version of my views, we want mod transparency, greatest wishes to Greatest States of America.

American Legionaries wrote:Baseball fans are liars, bitching about politics is the real American pass time.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Untecna wrote:Y'know, I get a suspicion that this has nothing to do with States and the 10th Amendment, but all to do with the regulation of firearms, which is not denied by the 2nd Amendment.

It says it shall not be abridged; regulation does not remove that right.

Nope its so I only have to worry about my states politics and not Texas.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:39 pm

SOUTH OLPEN wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

Please answer the question at hand; do you believe states should be forced to have the national bill of right, or any, and if not are you hypocritical another to argue that the 2nd is different.

No I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states, "due process of law" I think grants everyone a fair trial but other then that nope nada.

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Thomasi wrote:
SOUTH OLPEN wrote:Please answer the question at hand; do you believe states should be forced to have the national bill of right, or any, and if not are you hypocritical another to argue that the 2nd is different.

No I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states, "due process of law" I think grants everyone a fair trial but other then that nope nada.

And so you believe it should be a state's right to, for example, freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly, and the right to petition the government, and guns? Should elections be mandated?

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Thomasi wrote:
SOUTH OLPEN wrote:Please answer the question at hand; do you believe states should be forced to have the national bill of right, or any, and if not are you hypocritical another to argue that the 2nd is different.

So you wish for States to make it possible to violate the personal freedoms and limitations that have allowed the very basis of freedom in this country to just, disappear?

You don't seem to understand the consequences of such actions, yet you ask for an invitation to allow States to create their own dictatorships.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm

Untecna wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

So you wish for States to make it possible to violate the personal freedoms and limitations that have allowed the very basis of freedom in this country to just, disappear?

You don't seem to understand the consequences of such actions, yet you ask for an invitation to allow States to create their own dictatorships.

Yes I understand, elections would still happen as we have 5 amendments that mention the right to vote, states are supposed to run like countries with minimal interference from the federal government.

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:47 pm

Thomasi wrote:
Untecna wrote:So you wish for States to make it possible to violate the personal freedoms and limitations that have allowed the very basis of freedom in this country to just, disappear?

Yes I understand, elections would still happen as we have 5 amendments that mention the right to vote, states are supposed to run like countries with minimal interference from the federal government.

Dear friend, you just argued that " I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states... nope nada" May I remind you the 5 freedoms I and Utecna mentioned are indeed in the bill of rights which should be "nope nada." The two options I see are either accept some red states will become dictatorships or abandon your stance.
EDIT: According to fairvote.org, "the U.S. Constitution provides no explicit right to vote"
Last edited by South Olpen on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:49 pm

SOUTH OLPEN wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

Dear friend, you just argued that " I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states... nope nada" May I remind you the 5 freedoms I and Utecna mentioned are indeed in the bill of rights which should be "nope nada." The two options I see are either accept some red states will become dictatorships or abandon your stance.

I accept that they will become dictatorships in all but name but not my problem lol. My state will be just fine. Out of sight (not affecting my life) out of mind.

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:50 pm

Thomasi wrote:
SOUTH OLPEN wrote:Dear friend, you just argued that " I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states... nope nada" May I remind you the 5 freedoms I and Utecna mentioned are indeed in the bill of rights which should be "nope nada." The two options I see are either accept some red states will become dictatorships or abandon your stance.

I accept that they will become dictatorships in all but name but not my problem lol. My state will be just fine. Out of sight (not affecting my life) out of mind.

It is summer, alas. What I get for dealing with this.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:51 pm

Thomasi wrote:
Untecna wrote:So you wish for States to make it possible to violate the personal freedoms and limitations that have allowed the very basis of freedom in this country to just, disappear?

We aren't a confederation, we are a federal republic. There is a difference, and we don't apply for the former.

The consequences do not involve the right to vote, the consequences of the Bill of Rights include the removal of free speech, the pressing of specific religion or ideas, the removal or deregulation of the right to bear arms, the ability for states to quarter the National Guard in any home they wish, the removal of protections against double jeopardy, the ability to not answer potentially incriminating questions, and the protections against search and seizure without cause; the removal of fair and speedy trials, the right to jury trials, and the protections against excess bail and cruel or unusual punishments, and beyond. It has nothing to do with voting rights because the Bill of Rights does not mention it.

FNU
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby FNU » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Thomasi wrote:
SOUTH OLPEN wrote:Dear friend, you just argued that " I do not think the bill of rights should apply to the states... nope nada" May I remind you the 5 freedoms I and Utecna mentioned are indeed in the bill of rights which should be "nope nada." The two options I see are either accept some red states will become dictatorships or abandon your stance.

Yes, because your charismatic and politically correctly minded leaders are far better then their repugnant and wrongly minded dictators, and could never turn into those evil men.
I write dumb things, ask and I'll vaguely explain them.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 pm

OP has essentially no understanding of the Bill of Rights, clearly, if they are asking for its removal.

Thomasi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Thomasi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:04 pm

Untecna wrote:OP has essentially no understanding of the Bill of Rights, clearly, if they are asking for its removal.

I fully understand and the fact of the matter is that I personally think my state would be better off not shackled by the bill of rights, what I think would change is spreading anti vaccine bullshit would be punished, firearms probably fully banned and police would use be allowed to use mass surveillance to fix the issues in Baltimore (which the federal district court struck down 7-6 it was a drone surveillance program that they were going to use to find and track down people with illegal weapons or who had warrants).

Some states would become theocracies, some would be flourishing democracies, and others would be oligarchies. Don't like your states policies move, no need to go though immigration customs.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Thomasi wrote:
Untecna wrote:OP has essentially no understanding of the Bill of Rights, clearly, if they are asking for its removal.

I fully understand and the fact of the matter is that I personally think my state would be better off not shackled by the bill of rights, what I think would change is spreading anti vaccine bullshit would be punished, firearms probably fully banned and police would use be allowed to use mass surveillance to fix the issues in Baltimore (which the federal district court struck down 7-6 it was a drone surveillance program that they were going to use to find and track down people with illegal weapons or who had warrants).

Some states would become theocracies, some would be flourishing democracies, and others would be oligarchies. Don't like your states policies move, no need to go though immigration customs.

FNU made a great point above, don't know if you saw it:
FNU wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

Yes, because your charismatic and politically correctly minded leaders are far better then their repugnant and wrongly minded dictators, and could never turn into those evil men.

You've no understanding of what you are saying, you prove it as you continue to speak.
Last edited by Untecna on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Informed Consent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Informed Consent » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Thomasi wrote:The United States desperately needs federal judges who will enforce the 10th amendment The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

You mean those guys that deliberately misrepresent the meaning of amendments even with dissertations from their authors to explicitly outline their intent?
Those guys?
Yeah, good luck with that.
"When men choose not to believe in God,
they do not thereafter believe in nothing.
They then become capable of believing in anything."

- Emile Cammaerts

FNU
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby FNU » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:10 pm

Thomasi wrote:

Which is under the presumption that these states, in their change to new forms of government (which I may remind you would horrendously defeat the purpose of a United States of America) would continue to permit travel to other states. Other people having opinions that are silly or just unaligned with your beliefs is not an excuse for removing the thing that gives them the capacity to be more then a servant of the state.
I write dumb things, ask and I'll vaguely explain them.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:15 pm

SOUTH OLPEN wrote:
Thomasi wrote:

Worse than that. They can ignore the first and establish a state religion.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General