NATION

PASSWORD

US Judge Laments Inability to Jail Man for Unmown Lawn

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should happen to the judge?

sacked
42%
fined
12%
community service
17%
jail
6%
nothing
6%
commendation
2%
next SCOTUS nominee
15%

Total votes : 66

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:06 am

I- what?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 am

-Astoria- wrote:I- what?

When you turn housing into an investment you incentivise policing the behaviour of others in order to preserve the value of that investment.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:55 am

Diopolis wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Dads property, kid was out of country.

Ah, so that does excuse the lack of filial piety if he was out of country. Perhaps he could have been required to hire a lawn crew for his dad? Depending on part of country, that may not be a ridiculous expense.

Irrelevant and another discussion. For all you know the son didn’t know about his lawn. It’s not exactly a topic of conversation.

The problem is the judge. He is a bully and comments like “I wish I could jail you” shows he lacks the neutrality to judge cases.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:57 am

Vassenor wrote:I'm confused. What crime was the defendant accused of?

Usually there are blight laws on the books. It’s for situations were people basically stop all maintenance.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:04 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Ah, so that does excuse the lack of filial piety if he was out of country. Perhaps he could have been required to hire a lawn crew for his dad? Depending on part of country, that may not be a ridiculous expense.

Or.perhapa the neighbours could have been good christians(tm) and helped.

Oh but talk about being a good whatever is much easier then actually doing something.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I'm confused. What crime was the defendant accused of?

Usually there are blight laws on the books. It’s for situations were people basically stop all maintenance.

And the way that those are applied is its own can of worms.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

And the way that those are applied is its own can of worms.

True. It can be a case of a wannabe housing association. The history is lacking for the situation. Usually, there are a few warnings…some even offer support information. The article makes it look like it was an immediate summons.

Another article mentions an alleged accusation of bigotry in the past.

If that is true, the judge should be terminated as her neutrality is very much in question.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 am

Antipatros wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I hate mowing lawns as much as the next person, but it does cause problems if ignored for too long.

If you don't want to tend to a yard anymore, you can usually cover it up and you can have just a big old patch of dirt and weeds. But most people don't want to do that for obvious reasons, prevents some soil erosion from having plants to hold it together and boosts your place's curb appeal. Astroturf is no good either, it absorbs and traps too much heat.

There's definitely valid reasons to have some yard keeping standards for a neighborhood. If a property is overgrown with weeds and things, it's an eyesore and could become a fire hazard.

That said the way that the judge talked to the old man was unnecessary. I would have shown more leniency or compassion towards him.

If you're removing overgrown gardens and lawns because they're an eyesore, you should be compensating the homeowner for the degradation of their property rights.

Fire and pest hazard ehm.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 am

Forsher wrote:
Antipatros wrote:There's definitely valid reasons to have some yard keeping standards for a neighborhood. If a property is overgrown with weeds and things, it's an eyesore and could become a fire hazard.

That said the way that the judge talked to the old man was unnecessary. I would have shown more leniency or compassion towards him.

If you're removing overgrown gardens and lawns because they're an eyesore, you should be compensating the homeowner for the degradation of their property rights.

Have to agree, if the HOA wants to make this a requirement than they can fork over the money to maintain it.

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: US Judge Laments Inability to Jail Man for Unmown Lawn

Postby 95X » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:54 am

The CBS article cites a WDIV/Click on Detroit article, with additional details that cut things down to the root of the issue (emphasis added℠):
WDIV wrote:[Photo caption: A defendant was asked why he hasn’t been keeping his walkway clear but his situation didn’t garner any sympathy from the judge.]

[…]

Shibbir Chowdhury’s father was in court for failing to maintain his property in violation of a city ordinance.

[…]

“I usually take care of the stuff in the backyard and everything, but that time I was out of the country,” Chowdhury said.

Chowdhury said they did violate the city ordinance.

“There was really mistakes I should have taken care of that. But, yeah, still, like she should have said my father more politely,” Chowdhury said.

[…]

The violation of the ordinance comes with a $100 fine. The family said they have cleared the property and will pay the fine.
So the reason for the court appearance has since been cut down and hopefully composted.

It doesn't appear a homeowners association is involved, just a city ordinance requiring probably the public right-of-way/walkway and possibly private yards to be maintained in a certain way (it's unclear because no city ordinances are cited by either article and I didn't find anything on a quick visit to the City of Hamtramck website, sometimes they're easy to find sometimes they aren't).

Since there's no law in the USA saying people in positions of authority can't be rude to others, I'm guessing the real question here is 'is it ethical for judges to be rude?'

Edit: Hamtramck city ordinance possibly found! (If not, remember I'm some internet random, not a lawyer/etc. I've never even been to Michigan and everything I know about it is from Michael Moore documentaries and websites of abandoned buildings.)
Some website named "Love by Life" with a detailed article (https://lovebylife.com/burhan-chaudhury ... lawn-tidy/) claims it's this one:
American Legal Publishing wrote:Sec. 16-10 Compliance with orders required; violations, remedy; procedure

If the owner or occupant of any lot or premises shall fail to construct or maintain any particular sidewalk as mentioned and prescribed in section above, or shall fail to keep the same in repair, or to remove the snow, ice, and filth therefrom, or to remove and keep the same free from obstructions, encroachments, encumbrances, or other nuisances, or shall fail to perform any other duty required by the council in respect to such sidewalks within such time and such manner as the council shall require, the council may cause the same to be done, at the expense of such owner or occupant, and the council may cause the amount of all expenses incurred thereby to be reported to the city treasurer, who shall cause a notice of such assessment to be mailed to the owners of the premises if known.

If the amount of the assessment is not paid to the treasurer within a period of sixty (60) days from the date of mailing such notice, the treasurer shall report the same to the council, and the council shall report the same to the city assessor, to be by him levied, together with a penalty of ten percent in addition thereto, as a special assessment upon the lot or premises adjacent to or abutting upon such sidewalk, which special assessment shall be subject to review after proper notice has been given as in all other cases of special assessment provided for in this charter; and such assessment when confirmed shall be a lien upon such lot or premises the same as other special assessments and all proceedings subsequent to confirmation, provided for in this chapter, in relation to special assessments shall apply; or the City may collect such amount, together with the penalty from the owner or occupant of the premises, together with costs of suit.
Last edited by 95X on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:03 am

95X wrote:Since there's no law in the USA saying people in positions of authority can't be rude to others, I'm guessing the real question here is 'is it ethical for judges to be rude?'

I mean, people are rolling with the specifics of the incident but the framing in the OP and the poll is "this is not a mentality that is capable of creating justice, can we do anything about it?".
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

GuessTheAltAccount
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby GuessTheAltAccount » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 am

We need a cultural shift toward growing useful crops over pointless lawns ASAP.
Bombadil wrote:My girlfriend wanted me to treat her like a princess, so I arranged for her to be married to a stranger to strengthen our alliance with Poland.

Apocalyptic Haven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Apocalyptic Haven » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 am

Lawns are wasteful of water and should be abolished.
Just think of the Pacific Northwest under a charismatic, theocratic ruler who has many wives, lovers, etc. and was directly appointed by the hand of God. With plenty of both leftist and some rightist policies in place under his enlightened guidance. Very sex-positive laws, too. This ain't your grandfather's theocracy. It's a utopia in the midst of a post apocalyptic Dark Age.

“Go West, young man.” - Horace Greeley
"Agitate, agitate, agitate." - Frederick Douglass, advising a young man
Neoliberal and neoconservative elites will have no clue how much they are hated until just after they are removed from power.

Apocalyptic Haven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Apocalyptic Haven » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:57 am

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:We need a cultural shift toward growing useful crops over pointless lawns ASAP.

Ninja’d I see that I am.
Just think of the Pacific Northwest under a charismatic, theocratic ruler who has many wives, lovers, etc. and was directly appointed by the hand of God. With plenty of both leftist and some rightist policies in place under his enlightened guidance. Very sex-positive laws, too. This ain't your grandfather's theocracy. It's a utopia in the midst of a post apocalyptic Dark Age.

Neoliberal and neoconservative elites will have no clue how much they are hated until just after they are removed from power.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:00 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
HOAs are supposed to be beneficial for those people who don't mind following their rules or can tolerate the conditions it imposes. You don't have to worry about any bad/nuissance neighbors generally speaking, like you do with a non-HOA locale; or their neglected property/habits negatively impacting your real estate's equity because they'll be run out or forced into compliance. It has at least some merits which is why those exist.

You get more free reign without an HOA, but this also results in there being at least some neighbors who do stupid stuff like have their yard become a junkyard lot for broken down cars/personal crap or having a bunch of barking dogs every morning/evening. I hate it.

You can't have it both ways though. An HOA is a pain, but without one your neighbors are often a pain instead. There is some satisfaction to be had in ensuring that someone who is more trouble than their worth, can be forced out for good.

People who're slobs or live as if they're poor should have to live in the poor part of town, if they can't be bothered to adopt richer or more responsible habits/maintenance, if the community at large wants to maintain a higher valuation or standard.

Or we can stop treating houses as an investment and demanding that society orient itself around delivering a high return on that investment.

Based.

Houses should be torn down every 30 years and replaced with a new one.

Apocalyptic Haven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Apocalyptic Haven » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:09 pm

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:We need a cultural shift toward growing useful crops over pointless lawns ASAP.

Gardens and orchards should replace the lawns beloved by the Dolores Umbridges and Dennis Raders of the world. Real ecological and economic benefits there instead of water waste.

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Judge deserves all the abuse heaved at him. At best he should be removed from the bench.

And required to mow the guy's lawn...

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Apocalyptic Haven wrote:

Gardens and orchards should replace the lawns beloved by the Dolores Umbridges and Dennis Raders of the world. Real ecological and economic benefits there instead of water waste.

Smaller front yards would be a benefit to us all, but having houses moved back from the street somewhat is far preferable to having them but up to the street itself.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Or we can stop treating houses as an investment and demanding that society orient itself around delivering a high return on that investment.

Based.

Houses should be torn down every 30 years and replaced with a new one.

Japan-pilled, too.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Jinggangshan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinggangshan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:07 pm

...missing the "Involuntarily committed" option there.

Man, american politics... since the Donald appeared on the scene it's virtually impossible to tell in a raising number of cases. Is this real? I haven't looked it up, and I honestly have no idea what to think. There isn't anything left that sounds too stupid to be true anymore.
中国共产党万岁!
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm

Partybus wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Judge deserves all the abuse heaved at him. At best he should be removed from the bench.

And required to mow the guy's lawn...

Now you are asking for Justice.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 pm

Page wrote:
Picairn wrote:Make no mistake, this is tyranny of the Home Owners Associations (HOAs) and NIMBYism in action.

I wouldn't be in an HOA if I was a billionaire. I would sooner air drop a metric ton of cash over the ghetto than ever pay a cent in dues and fines to those kinds of people. Indeed, if I was a billionaire I'd probably spend a big chunk of my money bribing individuals to goad their HOA into suing them and then paying for years' long legal defense to bankrupt them all just for the satisfaction.

Which is why I don’t live in one. Sure the neighbor two doors down has cars parked all over his lawn and the guy three doors up and over doesn’t maintain his lawn, it’s Arizona so there’s no grass just weeds, but hey at least I don’t have to pay some stupid HOA to tell me how to maintain my home
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 pm

*her. The judge is a woman.
See also the video.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Have to agree, if the HOA wants to make this a requirement than they can fork over the money to maintain it.

In one place I lived this is what happened. The HOA wanted all houses to have nice lawns, but they decided that the homeowners couldn’t be trusted so they contracted the lawn care out to some third party. The back yard was yours to maintain and as long as you had a fence they didn’t care what happened back there
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:26 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Apocalyptic Haven wrote:

Smaller front yards would be a benefit to us all, but having houses moved back from the street somewhat is far preferable to having them but up to the street itself.

Honestly I prefer having my house up against the street. Makes for a bigger and more private backyard or a front courtyard
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General