NATION

PASSWORD

Operation Artemis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

How would you contribute to the fighting?

Greek infantry
10%
Greek armor and land battle vehicles
8%
Greek artillery
10%
Greek special forces/snipers
16%
Greek jet fighter pilot
18%
Greek attack helicopter
6%
Greek surface warship/capital ship
14%
Greek submarine
16%

Total votes : 49

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Operation Artemis

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

It is 1939. Greece is different. You’ve suddenly got modern 2020 Greece, it’s infrastructure, military, population, production + all NSGers (now speaking Greek).

The following countries are determined to wipe modern Greece from the map.

Nazi Germany
Fascist Italy
British Empire
French Empire
Soviet Union
Japanese Empire

No other country can join the war. Every side will fight until victory conditions are met, no matter casualties. No nukes, biological and chemical weapons.

The following countries will now fight on the side of Greece:
Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Albania, Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungary, China, United States of America
Every other country on the Greek side except for the USA has their 2020 infrastructure, population and weapons based on the regions they control.

Allied victory conditions: Take over Athens.
Greek victory conditions: Hold Berlin, Moscow and Paris

Greece has its 21st century weapons but has its weaknesses in population and resources. You are required to fight in this war on the Greek side in a direct combat role and you can choose whatever placement you want (and get good training for it).

Can Greece win? Or will they get overrun?

Two discussion questions:
1. Can Greece win this war with the victory conditions? If not, how long can they last and how close? Analyze and discuss.
2. What is your role in the war? Why do you choose this?

I think Greece can win if they take the initiative and run down several countries and grab key resources, especially the oil in Romania. The Greeks would have a huge advantage in firepower though limited resources would force them to attack to quickly get them. I’m thinking the Greeks can then use a small force with lots of firepower to hold off the massive Soviet Forces while focusing on invading Germany and France. In the Med, the modern Greek fleet should be untouchable.

If forced to fight, I would like to serve on a Greek surface warship with guided missiles. I’d go navy because I like high tech ships and don’t think I could handle flying at high speeds nor fighting on the ground.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 pm

A lot of people would die then Greece would lose. Well that was a quick hypothetical.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 pm

Heloin wrote:A lot of people would die then Greece would lose. Well that was a quick hypothetical.

Oh?

How would the war play out in your view? Battles and campaigns? Expected outcomes?

What role would you take?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:A lot of people would die then Greece would lose. Well that was a quick hypothetical.

Oh?

How would the war play out in your view? Battles and campaigns? Expected outcomes?

Unimportant honestly. The Hellenic armed forces at full capacity could never reach the same size as most of the world armed against them. It doesn't matter what tactics are used, what technology is exploited, what battles are fought. Greece can't win.

Whatever the Greek equivalent to the Finance Corps is.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 pm

The Soviet military during WW2 at its peak had roughly 20 million troops. Modern day Greece has 10 million people. And this is just the Soviets. Throw in the other 11 nations and Greece is fucked, hope you like genocide
Last edited by Thermodolia on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Oh?

Unimportant honestly. The Hellenic armed forces at full capacity could never reach the same size as most of the world armed against them. It doesn't matter what tactics are used, what technology is exploited, what battles are fought. Greece can't win.

You should join me in running to the US, or Turkey or anywhere other than Greece
Last edited by Thermodolia on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:13 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Heloin wrote:Unimportant honestly. The Hellenic armed forces at full capacity could never reach the same size as most of the world armed against them. It doesn't matter what tactics are used, what technology is exploited, what battles are fought. Greece can't win.

You should join me in running to the US, or Turkey or anywhere other than Greece

I think we're being forced to fight against our will for the Greeks. And if that is the case then I want to be as far from the front as possible.

If I don't have to live in Greece then I'll run off to the Zambezi valley and start a anti-colonial revolt against Great Granddad.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:The Soviet military during WW2 at its peak had roughly 20 million troops. Modern day Greece has 10 million people. And this is just the Soviets. Throw in the other 11 nations and Greece is fucked, hope you like genocide

But we have 21st century weapons and tech

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The Soviet military during WW2 at its peak had roughly 20 million troops. Modern day Greece has 10 million people. And this is just the Soviets. Throw in the other 11 nations and Greece is fucked, hope you like genocide

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:19 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Bullets from 1939 are still bullets.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

That matters not to the human waves of the mighty red army.

But in all honesty you’ve created a scenario where 12 nations, 11 of which are in the immediate area, against one. What exactly did you think was going to happen?
Last edited by Thermodolia on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:27 pm

Heloin wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You should join me in running to the US, or Turkey or anywhere other than Greece

I think we're being forced to fight against our will for the Greeks. And if that is the case then I want to be as far from the front as possible.

If I don't have to live in Greece then I'll run off to the Zambezi valley and start a anti-colonial revolt against Great Granddad.

If we are forced to join the Greeks then I’m a Greek military attaché to the USA
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

New Baltenstein
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby New Baltenstein » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:45 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

10,000 Zulus with prehistoric equipment have beaten 1000 British armed with state of the art Rifles and artillery.
And in your scenario, the odds would be even more colossaly mismatched. Even if every single, and I do mean every single, anti tank grenade/missile currently in the possession of the Greek armed forces produced a direct hit the warring nations would still have hundreds of thousands of armored vehicles to drown the country.
Last edited by New Baltenstein on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old nation has been lost in the void

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:10 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Some? A lot of the Hellenic armed forces uses antiquated technology. Their air force is still using F-4 Phantom IIs, for instance. Although apparently they're planning on purchasing some F-35As to replace them. A list of their ground vehicles shows mostly outdated German and American 20th century designs.

It doesn't really matter though. What are they going to do to stop 10 million enemy soldiers from just walking into the country? They don't have enough ordinance to kill that many people. Even if the soldiers were nice enough to from big mass-infantry formations like a Napoleonic army, and march stoically towards enemy fire, the Greeks would still run out of ammo.

Which they can't really make more of, because they import almost all of their supplies and equipment from other NATO countries.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 am

Thank you for your inputs.

So I’m getting the sense that it’s not very balanced.

How would I create a more balanced scenario that pits a 2020 country/alliance of countries against the world of 1939?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:30 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Thank you for your inputs.

How would I create a more balanced scenario that pits a 2020 country/alliance of countries against the world of 1939?

You don't. One nation against the world is already an insurmountable war.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:40 am

Why would Greece fight ? It can just get a monopoly on gentech, computers, television, fast food restaurants, polio vaccines etc. and become the worlds leading economy by far.

In your victory conditions all nations on the planet do not act human...
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:02 am

This is your brain. This is your brain on Hearts of Iron. Any questions.
Last edited by Heloin on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 am

it’s not very balanced

To put it lightly.

A common hypothetical along these lines is something like modern Poland vs 1939 Germany, although I'm pretty sure you or someone else did that here already.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Unified Communist Councils
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Unified Communist Councils » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:28 am

Make versus match-up hypotheticals that don't sound like weird stomp fiction.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀〖⠀E.A.U | 统一的人民公社⠀〗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀『All Proles, emancipated in harmony, in Yan Sooyoung.』⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀「1 PAE, first year of the Yan Calender, when our dearest Archon rescued a dying world.」⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
OVERVIEW | MILITARY | ANTHEM OF THE ALL-UNION | EMBASSY
【Seonjeon TV:】『Erudia Achieves New Space Milestone with Successful Launch of 'Unity Star' Satellite!』| 『Renowned Artist Kim Minji Unveils Stunning Exhibition at Erudian National Gallery!』|『Unity and Solidarity Prevail: Erudia Celebrates 57th Anniversary of All-Union Formation』|『Cybersecurity Breach Exposes Sensitive State Secrets: General Secretary Yevgeny Novikov Blames Foreign Hackers!』

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:01 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:

it’s not very balanced

To put it lightly.

A common hypothetical along these lines is something like modern Poland vs 1939 Germany, although I'm pretty sure you or someone else did that here already.

That was me.

Now how about modern Russia vs 1930s USA, British Empire, Japan, Germany, Italy?

Is that fair?

Russia is a modern-day great power and a huge arms manufacturer, it’s sitting on tons of natural resources and it has a bit population; I could set a win condition that gives Russia a fair shot?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:05 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Some? A lot of the Hellenic armed forces uses antiquated technology. Their air force is still using F-4 Phantom IIs, for instance. Although apparently they're planning on purchasing some F-35As to replace them. A list of their ground vehicles shows mostly outdated German and American 20th century designs.

It doesn't really matter though. What are they going to do to stop 10 million enemy soldiers from just walking into the country? They don't have enough ordinance to kill that many people. Even if the soldiers were nice enough to from big mass-infantry formations like a Napoleonic army, and march stoically towards enemy fire, the Greeks would still run out of ammo.

Which they can't really make more of, because they import almost all of their supplies and equipment from other NATO countries.

Then again, I assume that in this scenario the Greeks also have retained all their knowledge about the previous decades. Meaning that they know exactly where all the secret command centers of their enemies are.

Now that I think about it - they also have the knowledge to blackmail influential persons in the other nations.
And the technology to *fabricate* stuff to blackmail with. Pictures of Himmler having sexual relations with a goat ? Easypeasy.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:19 am

well modern greece is a small country in terms of population (10 million) and there were way more soldiers in WW2 so Greece might have a few major victories but they would be outnumbered by all the combined forces.
WA delegate of The European Commonwealth of Nations
committed a crime in Europe, sorry Yahlia
pls join my region we are dying
“Beware the barrenness of a busy life”

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:25 am

Greece loses. Even with modern military hardware it is soo hilariously outnumbered, outgunned and outproduced that it would lose.
Heloin wrote:This is your brain. This is your brain on Hearts of Iron. Any questions.

Guys he just needs to build 40 width mediums
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:
it’s not very balanced

To put it lightly.

That was me.

Now how about modern Russia vs 1930s USA, British Empire, Japan, Germany, Italy?

Is that fair?

Russia is a modern-day great power and a huge arms manufacturer, it’s sitting on tons of natural resources and it has a bit population; I could set a win condition that gives Russia a fair shot?

Russia nukes Berlin, Washington, Toyko, London, and Rome.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Greece loses. Even with modern military hardware it is soo hilariously outnumbered, outgunned and outproduced that it would lose.
Heloin wrote:This is your brain. This is your brain on Hearts of Iron. Any questions.

Guys he just needs to build 40 width mediums

` annex GER
Last edited by Heloin on Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General