NATION

PASSWORD

The Invasion of Ukraine, Russia Threatens Finland/Sweden

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do?

NATO should decline these demands and begin preparing for WW3 to break out.
38%
NATO should decline these demands and hope it's fine and/or limited to the invasion of Ukraine.
20%
NATO should negotiate.
28%
NATO should accept these demands.
15%

Total votes : 1812

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:41 am

Vassenor wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:No, but the same people who agree with critical race theory also agree with the stuff I mentioned.

So what is Critical Race Theory and what makes it anti-western then given that you’re an expert on it?

It doesn't matter what it is. The people who teach it agree with things like that, and therefore don't deserve to be allowed to teach anything.
The Federative Republic of Russia

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:44 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what is Critical Race Theory and what makes it anti-western then given that you’re an expert on it?

It doesn't matter what it is. The people who teach it agree with things like that, and therefore don't deserve to be allowed to teach anything.

So you’re throwing around meaningless buzzwords to cover for the lack of substance in an argument that was little more than a whataboutism to begin with. Got it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:02 am

Isn’t this just Russia re-asserting itself in its historical sphere of influence?

I don’t take issue with it. Ukraine is more Russian than American/British.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:11 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Isn’t this just Russia re-asserting itself in its historical sphere of influence?

So Ukraine has no right to self determination?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:42 am

Vassenor wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Isn’t this just Russia re-asserting itself in its historical sphere of influence?

There is no right to self-determination, and as the absurdity that is '#KyivNotKiev' proves George Bush was right about Ukrainian independence.
Republic of Northumbria
Bede kinnie — Catgirl appreciator

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,
which comes across as House of Cards by the writers of Mr. Bean."

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:03 am

Vassenor wrote:

Do Crimea, Donetsk or Lugansk have the right to self-determination?

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:29 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Whataboutism is not a defense, it is an admission of guilt.
You did not even bother to answer the question!

It is interesting you are just openly flaunting the Russian hypocrisy on the matter though.

Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk are however different matters than Ukraine given Ukraine is an internationally recognized sovereign state, even officially recognized as such by Russia. Russia recognized Crimea as being part of Ukraine in the Budapest Memorandum and moreover STILL recognizes Luhansk and Donetsk as belonging to Ukraine.

State sovereignty and self determination are related but different and sometimes in conflict.

But the other three are not even recognized as having self determination rights by Russia! Russia has NOT recognized Donetsk or Luhansk and moreover has BANNED Crimea from now claiming self determination because even advocating self determination is illegal in Russia! (Under the anti secession laws).

So again Russia cannot claim any sort of moral high ground here whatsoever.

For the record I would actually be willing to recognize Russian rule over Crimea if Russia would hold a free and fair referendum, (the majority probably do support being part of Russia but it was not free or fair), stop criminalizing discussion of what it hypocritically claims as justification, respect Ukraine’s sovereignty (including the ability to join NATO if NATO accepts them just the same as Belarus can be part of CSTO), respect Ukraine’s transit rights in the Kerch Strait etc.

Luhansk and Donetsk are more complex as the 2/3rds of those under Ukrainian control show little to no interest in the “rebellion” which has been more an outside invasion and would have completely collapsed without Russian military forces. But I do not automatically deny them it, you have to look at each case on and individual basis as each case of claimed self determination is different.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Way to dodge the question. Or are you trying to say it’s only self determination if they self determine the way Russia wants?
Last edited by Vassenor on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:43 am

Vassenor wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:Do Crimea, Donetsk or Lugansk have the right to self-determination?

Way to dodge the question. Or are you trying to say it’s only self determination if they self determine the way Russia wants?

Ukraine has a right to self-determination, but they can expect a response from Russia, if they continue their abrasive language and posturing.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:10 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Ukraine has a right to self-determination, but they can expect a response from Russia, if they continue their abrasive language and posturing.

The vast majority of abrasive language is coming from Moscow, Ukraine is not claiming special privileges and rights which allow it to override Russia’s sovereignty within Russia’s recognized borders.

But Russia can sanction Ukraine if it likes, (as it has) and can criticize Ukraine based on disagreements over its foreign policy stances. But finding another country’s language abrasive is NOT adequate justification for launching a military attack.

Russia can respond, that is not the issue. The issue is the HOW. Being able to respond is different than have the ability to respond in any and all ways with no constraints.

If someone insults me I have a right to not do business with them, to insult them back. But not shoot them.

If Russia said “Ukraine can join NATO, but Russia will respond with economic sanctions” that is fine. Russia has the right to determine who it wants to trade with and for any reasons. What products leave and enter Russian territory and what businesses are conducted on its territory are Russia’s right to determine.

But Russia does not have a right to say “Ukraine cannot join NATO or we attack it”. There is an obvious difference.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:10 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Whose abraisive language and posturing? :lol:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:34 am

The North Polish Union wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:Ukraine has a right to self-determination, but they can expect a response from Russia, if they continue their abrasive language and posturing.

Failing to dance to Russia’s tune when required to by Russia.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:42 am

The North Polish Union wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:Ukraine has a right to self-determination, but they can expect a response from Russia, if they continue their abrasive language and posturing.

The Ukrainians.

Vassenor wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Whose abraisive language and posturing? :lol:

No, they are just failing to respect Russia's protective zone.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:54 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:

The Ukrainians.

Vassenor wrote:

First of all moving the goal posts. Disagreeing with Russia’s extraordinary and legally baseless claims to control Ukraine’s foreign policy is not “using abrasive language”.

And why does only Russia get such a zone? On what basis in international law is said “zone” based? Ukraine borders Poland, why is it not just as much in Poland’s “zone”?
How does the declaration of such a zone (apparently covering all or at least most of Ukraine (it is not in any way legally defined) not blatantly violate Ukraine’s sovereignty?
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:56 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:

The Ukrainians.

Vassenor wrote:

Yeah, how dare they not respect Russia's stupid pointless thing that other countries don't have or need.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am

Vassenor wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:Do Crimea, Donetsk or Lugansk have the right to self-determination?

Self-determination isn't really a right in international law, only sovereignty.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:41 am

Novus America wrote:

It is interesting you are just openly flaunting the Russian hypocrisy on the matter though.

Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk are however different matters than Ukraine given Ukraine is an internationally recognized sovereign state, even officially recognized as such by Russia. Russia recognized Crimea as being part of Ukraine in the Budapest Memorandum and moreover STILL recognizes Luhansk and Donetsk as belonging to Ukraine.

State sovereignty and self determination are related but different and sometimes in conflict.

But the other three are not even recognized as having self determination rights by Russia! Russia has NOT recognized Donetsk or Luhansk and moreover has BANNED Crimea from now claiming self determination because even advocating self determination is illegal in Russia! (Under the anti secession laws).

For the record I would actually be willing to recognize Russian rule over Crimea if Russia would hold a free and fair referendum, (the majority probably do support being part of Russia but it was not free or fair), stop criminalizing discussion of what it hypocritically claims as justification, respect Ukraine’s sovereignty (including the ability to join NATO if NATO accepts them just the same as Belarus can be part of CSTO), respect Ukraine’s transit rights in the Kerch Strait etc.

Luhansk and Donetsk are more complex as the 2/3rds of those under Ukrainian control show little to no interest in the “rebellion” which has been more an outside invasion and would have completely collapsed without Russian military forces. But I do not automatically deny them it, you have to look at each case on and individual basis as each case of claimed self determination is different.

Whataboutism isn't intended as a defense, this is a bad misunderstanding of it, the point of whataboutism is to make the case that criticism is being made in bad-faith. e.g. in the classic case, when Russia points out the US does the same thing it's criticizing Russia for, it is not a defense of Russia but it certainly cast doubts on American motive for making those criticisms.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:49 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:

The Ukrainians.

Vassenor wrote:

I've declared your house to be inside my 'protective zone', vacate the premises and respect my sovereignty. :lol:

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:04 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Whataboutism isn't intended as a defense, this is a bad misunderstanding of it, the point of whataboutism is to make the case that criticism is being made in bad-faith. e.g. in the classic case, when Russia points out the US does the same thing it's criticizing Russia for, it is not a defense of Russia but it certainly cast doubts on American motive for making those criticisms.

But that is the point. I said it was not a defense. But therefore he did nothing to defend his position. I was simply pointing that out.
I fully understand whataboutism is used to muddy the waters, distract and deflect rather than offer a real defense.

But that is the issue. In no way does it actually justify the Russian position at all. The fact Russia and its apologists resort to it so much says a lot. Someone with a strong argument for their side need not resort to it.

When someone only offers whataboutism without even answering the question it is usually because their position is indefensible…

He did not even answer the question there. It is a really bad “argument” that is pretty desperate. If I accuse someone of committing a murder, and they say “you committed crimes too” it does not mean my accusation was wrong.

Moreover if you say “but you are bad for doing X too” by extension you have just admitted to wrong doing.

The West is absolutely hypocritical at times, nobody is disputing that. But that does not make it in the wrong on this particular issue.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:07 am

Genivaria wrote:
Novo Rossiya wrote:The Ukrainians.

I've declared your house to be inside my 'protective zone', vacate the premises and respect my sovereignty. :lol:

You are an anarchist, you have no zone.

FNU
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby FNU » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:10 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

"Abrasive language" such as these?

I write dumb things, ask and I'll vaguely explain them.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:11 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I've declared your house to be inside my 'protective zone', vacate the premises and respect my sovereignty. :lol:

You are an anarchist, you have no zone.

You understand this doesn't refute the point?

Novo Rossiya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Novo Rossiya » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:15 am

FNU wrote:

"Abrasive language" such as these?

Hurling insults definitely doesn't help.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Self-determination isn't really a right in international law, only sovereignty.

That is not really true. There is basis for self determination in contemporary international law, which is continually evolving, absolute sovereignty is has been curtailed as international law has evolved, although certainly it is fair to say the exact status of self determination in international law and how it can be reconciled with sovereignty is a matter of intense dispute.

It is important to note international law is not codified and is full of points of dispute. Still nothing in it supports Russia’s sphere or zone claims which violate both the concepts of sovereignty and self determination.

That being said if you do take the position of sovereignty overriding self determination it makes the Russian claims here even more indefensible.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 am

Novo Rossiya wrote:

The Ukrainians.

"Plz no take Krym" isn't really abrasive language and posturing

Novo Rossiya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

What protective zone? When does Królewiec get to be part of Poland's protected zone?
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General