NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics IX: Winter is Coming

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

It has been one year since Joe Biden assumed the presidency. How would you rate his performance?

Excellent: he has positively exceeded expectations and I am thrilled with his service to the people
3%
Good: he has met expectations and I am generally satisfied with his service to the people
7%
Decent: he has met some expectations though I could be happier with his service to the people
30%
Bad: he has yet to meet expectations and I am generally unsatisfied with his service to the people
21%
Abysmal: he has negatively exceeded expectations and I believe he may be unfit to serve the people
38%

Total votes : 169

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 pm

My friend is renewing her green card, it's a goddamn mess of hoops and hurdles - it's not even getting a green card, it's renewing one so they clearly have all the information but she has to fill all this paperwork again, including the told 'Are you coming to the US to commit terrorist acts?' and 'Are you a communist?'. She has to go through an interview as well.

I mean..

When and where did you get married?
Were you previously married?
Besides your current marriage, how many other times have you been married?
What are the names of your previous spouses?
When did your marriage to each previous spouse end?

What the fuck does this have to do with anyone? Beyond that she has to return to the US to complete the application. Since HK banned flights to and from the US due to the pandemic it's caused no end of re-booking.

I can renew my passport with a single document and two photos, and I can do it through a consulate.

Maybe if US immigration wasn't so byzantine there'd be less illegal immigration.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Maricarland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:44 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Maricarland wrote:Making housing a human right, through universal public housing, where anyone who wants to is entitled to live in public housing regardless of income, wealth, work history, housing history, pet ownership, criminal history, household size, ability or willingness to work, or anything else. I would prefer this to be rent-free, but it is likely that politicians will demand a rent, which we can set as a percentage of taxable household income, say 20%, to ensure it is affordable (if you have a taxable income of $0, you pay $0; if you have a taxable income of $1,000, you pay $200; if you have a taxable income of $1 million, you pay $200,000). We use community development corporations to build up the public housing stock in localities where the supply is low.

Let's start with the problems this might cause.

Your zoning for your new government housing gets tied up in tons of legal Red Tape because no one wants Public Housing in their Backyard.
The middle class, the upper class, and even the lower middle class complain that if you're giving them free houses you should pay for their houses as well.
Oh and the announcement that the government is going to start building homes causes a second housing collapse to hit as the artificial scarcity of homes are threatened causing the billions of dollars invested in the housing market to go up in smoke causing another economic crash.

Just because we have some NIMBYs as an obstacle to implementing universal public housing, does not mean Universal Public Housing is not a good idea.

The "middle" class and "upper" class are free to also move into public housing if they want, it is universal. However, I would personally also add a vacant housing tax so high that people with excess housing that they are not using will be incentivized to either rent it out at whatever price the people can afford it or to sell it at whatever price people can afford it, even if it is a financial loss, just to avoid the vacant housing tax. Then of course if there is a rent on the universal public housing (I would prefer it be rent-free though), then the wealthy will be paying a higher rent because they have more money, even if the rent is a flat percentage.

Currently the price of housing is being pushed higher because there are desperate people who are suffering. An asset that derives its value from the suffering of others should be driven down until that suffering is alleviated. If we had a comprehensive social safety net to protect people during an economic crash, along with public banking and worker power and cooperatives to bounce back from an economic crash, I think that a short term economic crash is worth the end of involuntary homelessness in America especially since people won't be suffering that much during the economic crash because the social safety net is providing them homes and food and medicine and so on...

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Maricarland wrote:Then for poverty in general, we expand the social safety net and give much more power to workers and labor, and maybe do some redistribution.

I'd love this but let's face it, not happening in this current political climate.

I'm glad we are on the same page here. Though I still want to fight for the social safety net, labor, and redistribution, because if we just say it is not going to happen right now, and we keep saying that, then it will never happen ever.
Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!
- Miss Frizzle (The Magic School Bus)

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 28, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 pm

Maricarland wrote:
The Jamesian Republic wrote:I think now is a good time to talk about housing in America. Currently it is in crisis. So I have a few ideas on how to deal with it:
1. A trust fund to invest into communities.
2. Abolish red lines.
3. Expand affordable public housing
4. Protect tenants from being evicted.
5. Caps on raising rent.

I like all these ideas and much more.

Universal Public Housing though I think is the absolute foundation to ending homelessness and should be a part of our social safety net. I laid out 12 things I think the U.S. needs for our social safety net a few pages back.

I saw it. I was figuring these can set the stones for Universal Public Housing. However I do agree with this.
Become an Independent. You’ll see how liberating it is.
My Political Beliefs: The Jamesianist Manifesto
General Theme
Special Theme

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:55 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. There was actually.

1. There was no system for real Social Welfare in the US in the 1880s.

New haven america wrote:2. Actually, the US had the best social systems/welfare/safety nets in the world in the 1950's

2. 1950 is not 1880, and yes the US did have a great safety net system after the New Deal era programs put them in place.... then they started to slowly get gutted. But that happened quite some time after the 1880s and required the victories of the progressive era and of course the Great Depression.

New haven america wrote:3. Considering the fact that most people don't know about them and that the US still had open borders for the 30 years after their heyday, I can't see how you can look at those as a successful case.

3. Part of the reason immigration in the US is so hard is because of one of the most successful cases of anti-immigrant rhetoric during the Early United States, where the Federalists attempted to Weaken the Democratic Republican party with the Alien and Sedition acts.

New haven america wrote:4. Also, this goes to show how little you know about immigration in the US, most new immigrants aren't given the benefits of citizens. In a lot of cases immigrants aren't allowed to have federal benefits for at least 5 years after moving in.

4. I don't remember anywhere where I said that immigrants were freely handed citizenship right off the boat, in fact part of the issues in the US with immigrants in the early US was a side effect of the above acts was that the Federalists actually artificially raised the time to become a citizen because they didn't like the politics of who were immigrating to the US.

1. It's telling that you see "Social systems" and automatically jump to welfare.
2. Did you not say: "...heck there were no US systems even after 1880."?

Were the 50's after the 1880's? Yes! So the US had social systems even after 1880. :)

3. No, the reason why it's so hard is because the developed nations have decided to take a draconian view on immigration due to the founding idea of the nation state being "1 nation for 1 people". Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, Singapore, most of Europe, etc... are all just as bad if not worse than the US when it comes to immigration, including from other developed nations.

This is because of nationalism.

4. You missed the point.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Bombadil wrote:My friend is renewing her green card, it's a goddamn mess of hoops and hurdles - it's not even getting a green card, it's renewing one so they clearly have all the information but she has to fill all this paperwork again, including the told 'Are you coming to the US to commit terrorist acts?' and 'Are you a communist?'. She has to go through an interview as well.

I mean..

What the fuck does this have to do with anyone? Beyond that she has to return to the US to complete the application. Since HK banned flights to and from the US due to the pandemic it's caused no end of re-booking.

I can renew my passport with a single document and two photos, and I can do it through a consulate.

Maybe if US immigration wasn't so byzantine there'd be less illegal immigration.

Nah, the US is one of the easier developed countries to get into.

You should try looking up what it takes to get into Australia or Canada or The UK. Even if you're already from another developed nation.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Maricarland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 pm

New haven america wrote:
Bombadil wrote:My friend is renewing her green card, it's a goddamn mess of hoops and hurdles - it's not even getting a green card, it's renewing one so they clearly have all the information but she has to fill all this paperwork again, including the told 'Are you coming to the US to commit terrorist acts?' and 'Are you a communist?'. She has to go through an interview as well.

I mean..

Nah, the US is one of the easier developed countries to get into.

You should try looking up what it takes to get into Australia or Canada. Even if you're already from another developed nation.

I have, many times, especially when Trump got elected in 2016. I am convinced it would be virtually impossible for me to legally immigrate to most countries in the world if I wanted to escape the United States.
Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!
- Miss Frizzle (The Magic School Bus)

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Maricarland wrote:
New haven america wrote:Nah, the US is one of the easier developed countries to get into.

You should try looking up what it takes to get into Australia or Canada. Even if you're already from another developed nation.

I have, many times, especially when Trump got elected in 2016. I am convinced it would be virtually impossible for me to legally immigrate to most countries in the world if I wanted to escape the United States.

Yeah, out of the 330,000,000 Americans only ~3-5 million actually meet the base standards of all developed nations to actually immigrate to said developed nations.

That's not taking into account other standards that are added on, those are just the basics. Like Canada's point system, which tallies how useful you'd be to the country. You can meet all the requirements to move there but if you score even 1 point below the required points on their usefulness chart then you're out and they don't give a fuck.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Maricarland wrote:
New haven america wrote:Nah, the US is one of the easier developed countries to get into.

They'd probably also view you as a burden. Not saying it's right to view you that way, but unfortunately it's true. Hell, I would have a problem moving to Canada currently, as I am not currently a skilled worker, and I doubt other western countries would be any easier.

It's not like Americans can claim refugee status or anything like that.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

They'd probably also view you as a burden. Not saying it's right to view you that way, but unfortunately it's true. Hell, I would have a problem moving to Canada currently, as I am not currently a skilled worker, and I doubt other western countries would be any easier.

It's not like Americans can claim refugee status or anything like that.

Canada's actually dealing with a massive labor shortage. They have more jobs than they do people to work those jobs.

There are a lot of problems causing this. The 1st is the fact that Canadians aren't reproducing enough to fill those jobs, 2nd is the ludicrous cost of living, 3rd the aforementioned standards and point systems in place that restrict immigration as much as possible, and 4th, the left-wing nationalism Canada has going on where the absolute last group of people they want in the nation are Americans out of fear of American assimilation or bringing in right wing social and economic policies. (Even though most Americans who want to move to Canada are left-wing and the fact that Canada's basically owned by America already, but whatever)
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm

Maricarland wrote:
Just because we have some NIMBYs as an obstacle to implementing universal public housing, does not mean Universal Public Housing is not a good idea.

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea but there will be strong opposition every step of the way. Hence my point, to be honest though NIMBY is the least of the problems.

Maricarland wrote:The "middle" class and "upper" class are free to also move into public housing if they want, it is universal. However, I would personally also add a vacant housing tax so high that people with excess housing that they are not using will be incentivized to either rent it out at whatever price the people can afford it or to sell it at whatever price people can afford it, even if it is a financial loss, just to avoid the vacant housing tax. Then of course if there is a rent on the universal public housing (I would prefer it be rent-free though), then the wealthy will be paying a higher rent because they have more money, even if the rent is a flat percentage.

And Lobbying will act to prevent this from happening, you'll be fighting homeowners, banks, and countless other special interests, who'll use the issues brought about this to vote you out and destroy your policy. Not that the idea itself doesn't have some merit but politically it's still facing an uphill battle.

Maricarland wrote:Currently the price of housing is being pushed higher because there are desperate people who are suffering. An asset that derives its value from the suffering of others should be driven down until that suffering is alleviated. If we had a comprehensive social safety net to protect people during an economic crash, along with public banking and worker power and cooperatives to bounce back from an economic crash, I think that a short term economic crash is worth the end of involuntary homelessness in America especially since people won't be suffering that much during the economic crash because the social safety net is providing them homes and food and medicine and so on...

Well there are some elements of homelessness that can't be solved simply by job restructuring and more fair economic policies, such as the drug addicted or the severely mentally ill, a proper solution for them would be to have some sort of government assisted care home for those people, but that risks falling back into becoming possibly abusive Asylums, Still I don't think that's possibly outside the scope of fixing, maybe for the people who are too far gone to take care of themselves they would need something like an assisted group home, like a large scale public halfway house system for the mentally ill and the hopelessly drug addicted.

Might even be easier to sell to people as well, many cities with a homeless problem would likely welcome such a thing if it meant they could feel safer without feeling like they're being harmful. I would actually suggest doing this idea first before moving on to full scale public housing, then use the momentum of the possible success and getting homes for the literal worst off of of society as a means for pushing for upwards from there.

But again finding the political will will be hard.

Another possible angle that might work is that with the large number of homeless Veterans in the country a large public works project for Veterans might be an easier sell because ideology wise most people want to be seen "Supporting the Troops".

So I'd move from:
Public Housing for Homeless Veterans. (Easier win)
Public Housing for the Homeless Mentally Ill. (Harder win but use your above win as proof of concept)
Public Housing for the Poor in General (Ride your momentum of the first two to get the last delivered)

And if you do it this way you can keep it away from becoming about a racial thing.

Maricarland wrote:
I'm glad we are on the same page here. Though I still want to fight for the social safety net, labor, and redistribution, because if we just say it is not going to happen right now, and we keep saying that, then it will never happen ever.
Oh I agree your ideas are nice, I just don't see them as very realistic. I'm not a complete cynic who believes that it'll never happen but it's clear right now in current conditions it's not happening. The United States still has too many problems and divisions to do things that would actually help to that level, maybe soon.

And that's ultimately the same reason I'm against your immigration policy, my opposition to open borders is less on "Fuck you I got mine" and more "The House is reaching the point where it's going to get condemned, the tenants are screaming at each other every night, the bills are piling up, so inviting all the city's homeless might be a feel good action, but I can't see it ending well."

Maybe if you fixed the house up, calmed the Tenants down, resolved some issues, yeah that'd be a place where it'd be great to welcome people too. But not like this.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:14 pm

The Jamesian Republic wrote:I think now is a good time to talk about housing in America. Currently it is in crisis. So I have a few ideas on how to deal with it:
1. A trust fund to invest into communities.
2. Abolish red lines.
3. Expand affordable public housing
4. Protect tenants from being evicted.
5. Caps on raising rent.

Give interest-free mortgages to young families. Outlaw foreign ownership of residential property. Bring back the homestead acts and legalize squatting.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Jamesian Republic wrote:
Wait, what?

Original version here..

I have no words... To have thought nothing could ever have topped

NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:54 pm

Greater Miami Shores 3 wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Not everyone blindly worships political parties.

Democrats are not Political Saints. I have explained in details many times why I, me and us strongly support President Trump, Ron DeSantis and President Ronald Reagan. To me and us they are the Greatest American Presidents ever of the USA and the Greatest Governor ever of the USA. Because we strongly agree with most of their economic, political and social views on the Issues, with Pride and Honor. GMS with Pride and Honor.

Both parties are made up of warmongering corporate puppets, but no matter what you believe it's never a good thing to be in complete agreement with anyone. At least the people who stan celebrities and minecraft youtubers aren't invested in something that actually matters.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 am

Rusozak wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Original version here..

I'm still confused by what the heck he meant. :blink:
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Flanderstan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Flanderstan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 am

I think public housing should be available, but only for those who make under a certain amoint of money and don't have insurance or medicaid. They should also be alble to pass a drug test. Public housing should be state funded, not federally funded, and there will be no rent raises and evictions only in extreme situations. We should also expand Medicaid to everyone who does not have insurance.
New York Rangers fan

Caleonia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Caleonia » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:19 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:A question for the Democrats here: if FDR was such a great president, why did he win 98% of the vote in segregationist South Carolina?

Wait so if racists like a President that means he is bad?

My granddad will tell you simply because he was a leader. When you listened to him on the radio; you felt things would get better. The man spoke well.

Can you imagine Trump giving the Pearl Harbor speech?

I would go support Japan in that instance. I’d rather get persecuted and killed.
Just hearing that thought makes me queasy.
Caleon | Grünkohlland
The land of progress, the first society of speed.
MT/PMT (Cyberprep in 2035) | National Day: September 3 | Refer to this for policies | More than a “funny car nation”, and pays no attention to F1 | Hatsunia and I are NOT related, I just exist in his universe due to us sharing the same region.
Overview | Caleon Pro Baseball

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:30 am

Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Caleonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Caleonia » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:33 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

I'm still confused by what the heck he meant. :blink:

I think it means sex and violence aren’t portrayed correctly
Caleon | Grünkohlland
MT/PMT (Cyberprep in 2035) | National Day: September 3 | Refer to this for policies | More than a “funny car nation”, and pays no attention to F1 | Hatsunia and I are NOT related, I just exist in his universe due to us sharing the same region.

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:35 am

I have one better: Trump should be fired from a canon into the sun.
General Theme
Special Theme

Caleonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Caleonia » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:39 am

Which canon?
Caleon | Grünkohlland

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 am

Caleonia wrote:

Which canon?

The canon we use to throw people into the sun.

It’s supposed to be a joke from Futurama.
General Theme
Special Theme

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:18 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Eco-fascism is not the way.

It’s not eco-fascism, the USSR didn’t have the western style system of multi party democracy either. Are they fascist? It’s quite telling that you’d rather keep the failure that is democracy than to move forward and fix the climate mess while lifting the workers out of their prisons.

That’s not fascism

You're not lifting anyone out of prisons by taking away their control over the government they live under. You're just redecorating the prison. Dictators are enemies of the people, even if they style themselves in Soviet aesthetics and maintain a sham democracy.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Why do we have "campaign promises" anyway. Completely useless phenomenon.

What I want to know is why we have NSG posters making campaign promises to other NSG posters.

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Untecna wrote:Trumpism is proto-fascism. Ever heard of ICE?

You do know ICE existed before Trump and did a lot of bad things even before Trump was President right?

If ICE is Fascism, then Obama and Bush were also Proto-Fascist.

They contributed in paving the way for Trump, yes.

And not supporting illegal immigration isn't really an aspect of Fascism, specifically because under Fascism people try to leave the country to get away from the Fascism, they don't try to illegally sneak into the country.

Opposition to illegal immigration can be an element of fascism when that opposition is based in creating some "other", some untermensch, which is said to be destroying the nation by their presence. If Trump had built his wall and halted all immigration across America's southern border, what then? Rounding up all the "Mexicans"(of whom many are not from Mexico) already in America, of course. And don't forget that he also wanted to shut down all Muslim immigration into the United States. So they'd be on the chopping block as well. The nation would be purged according to ethnicity and religion.

Now if ICE starts turning their Refugee Overflow camps to "Work Camps" that'd be pretty Fascist.

America already uses prisoners as a labour force.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 am

Ifreann wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It’s not eco-fascism, the USSR didn’t have the western style system of multi party democracy either. Are they fascist? It’s quite telling that you’d rather keep the failure that is democracy than to move forward and fix the climate mess while lifting the workers out of their prisons.

That’s not fascism

You're not lifting anyone out of prisons by taking away their control over the government they live under. You're just redecorating the prison. Dictators are enemies of the people, even if they style themselves in Soviet aesthetics and maintain a sham democracy.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Why do we have "campaign promises" anyway. Completely useless phenomenon.

What I want to know is why we have NSG posters making campaign promises to other NSG posters.

The Lone Alliance wrote:You do know ICE existed before Trump and did a lot of bad things even before Trump was President right?

If ICE is Fascism, then Obama and Bush were also Proto-Fascist.

They contributed in paving the way for Trump, yes.

And not supporting illegal immigration isn't really an aspect of Fascism, specifically because under Fascism people try to leave the country to get away from the Fascism, they don't try to illegally sneak into the country.

Opposition to illegal immigration can be an element of fascism when that opposition is based in creating some "other", some untermensch, which is said to be destroying the nation by their presence. If Trump had built his wall and halted all immigration across America's southern border, what then? Rounding up all the "Mexicans"(of whom many are not from Mexico) already in America, of course. And don't forget that he also wanted to shut down all Muslim immigration into the United States. So they'd be on the chopping block as well. The nation would be purged according to ethnicity and religion.

Now if ICE starts turning their Refugee Overflow camps to "Work Camps" that'd be pretty Fascist.

America already uses prisoners as a labour force.

1. Exactly preach.
2. It’s fun to make campaign promises
General Theme
Special Theme

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:43 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Galloism wrote:More people being subject to the Byzantine US tax code is generally good for me, and adding capital controls means making it more Byzantine, which is also good for me.

Which is why we should simplify the tax code to make things worse for you

No.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Just-An-Illusion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Just-An-Illusion » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:50 am

Maricarland wrote:
Flanderstan wrote:

Ice is doing its job. These immigrants broke the law, what do they expect? Taxpayer money? Lol.... no.

ICE should be abolished. Borders should be opened.

Also we should abolish a bunch of other things while we are at it, just a short-list off the top of my head: FBI, DoHS, CIA, NSA, DEA, Police, Prison, Marriage, Billionaires, Landlords, and so on...

Abolish marriage? What about LGBT marriages? Aren't we literally fighting to protect that right?
Aeritai's new official NSG, Arts & Fiction, and F7 account.
You can just call me Illusion or Aeri either name works fine with me! I am a new person now and I look forward to experincing this new life.

If you're ever feeling down, just remember someone cares for you! ^_^

The Official Queen Of All Tomboys
She/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General