NATION

PASSWORD

'Nother plane crash

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

JarVik
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: 'Nother plane crash

Postby JarVik » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:11 pm

Enphos wrote:It's a news cycle, this probably wouldn't have been major news if the Air France thing hadn't happened. Aeroplanes are one of the safest ways to travel, so no need to panic. :)

If I remember correctly, the author of Freakonomics found evidence that the death rate per driving and airtravel were the same on a km or hour basis I think.
I like pancakes!
In search of SpellCheck
Swims with Leaches!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Intangelon wrote:It does make me wonder about whether Airbus rushed some stuff in order to beat Boeing to order deadlines. It makes me feel better about the delay of the 787 ("Dreamliner"). If the delay means they're working out bugs, then delay that mother.

Well, one of the bugs in the 787 was that the onboard WiFi used the same networking components as the aircraft's avionics. The FAA said "Uh... doesn't that mean someone could hack the avionics?" and it got sent back to the drawing board.

Bad Boeing! Bad!

Holy crap! Like I said, delay that mother until all the dumb ideas are dead. Or sleeping. Or...on holiday.

Yeah, kinda sad though that it was the FAA to catch it and not a Boeing engineer. I mean... I don't care how fucking good your security is, the avionics has to be a completely separate system. There's no such thing as full proof security short of a network disconnect.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Enphos
Secretary

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enphos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:03 pm

JarVik wrote:
Enphos wrote:It's a news cycle, this probably wouldn't have been major news if the Air France thing hadn't happened. Aeroplanes are one of the safest ways to travel, so no need to panic. :)

If I remember correctly, the author of Freakonomics found evidence that the death rate per driving and airtravel were the same on a km or hour basis I think.

About 40,000 people die in car crashes in the US every year, as opposed to about 200 in a plane, you're about 1000 times more likely to have a car crash than a plane crash.

The Black Forrest wrote:

:eyebrow:

Me thinks you are part of the conspiracy!

Yes, the world is also flat and all world leaders are lizards. :p
Last edited by Enphos on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Enphos wrote:
JarVik wrote:

About 40,000 people die in car crashes in the US every year, as opposed to about 200 in a plane, you're about 1000 times more likely to have a car crash than a plane crash.

Doesn't really challenge his assertion about death rate per distance traveled or time spent in the mode of transportation.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Galloism wrote:Yeah, kinda sad though that it was the FAA to catch it and not a Boeing engineer. I mean... I don't care how fucking good your security is, the avionics has to be a completely separate system. There's no such thing as full proof security short of a network disconnect.

"Full proof"?

Foolproof, maybe?
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Previous

Return to General