NATION

PASSWORD

Hot Takes Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ispravlennaja Tsekovija
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Ispravlennaja Tsekovija » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:10 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:
New haven america wrote:Then be the change you want to see in the world.

I made my statement earlier in this thread. I've done my part.

my hot take is that your hot take was simple contrarianism and no more thoughtful than anything else in this thread

and so the dragon consumes its tail
""nsg is dumb" —barack obama" —plato

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:14 pm

Ispravlennaja Tsekovija wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

my hot take is that your hot take was simple contrarianism and no more thoughtful than anything else in this thread

and so the dragon consumes its tail

Still perfectly adheres to my original post. Again.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:18 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:
New haven america wrote:Then be the change you want to see in the world.

That's a pretty cold take if I ever saw one.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Nancivania
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:21 pm

Here's a few:

- Alfred Kinsey was a creep and his studies were full of problems. Using info from a man who shouldn't realistically be let within 200 meters of a school to decide how we teach children about sex is dangerous and stupid

- Morality without a higher power cannot logically exist. There is no way to logically justify "natural human rights" from an athiest perspective without contradictions or faulty arguments

- People unfairly criticize American foreign policy as evil and imperialistic. But fail to realize that the US is the most humane, least comparably destructive, and least genocidal superpower that has ever existed. While the US has commit atrocities, it has done so on a scale many times smaller then other world powers in the past and today did, or would have. And is the only one where people feel bad about it

- A fetus is a living human and should have the same rights as any other living human

- Saying "communism lost the cold war because of Western attacks" just shows how capitalism is superior to communism. If communism was superior it would've defeated capitalism

- Most progressives claim to love and want to celebrate other cultures but only have a skin-deep idea of what culture is. They consider only the material traditions of a culture such as clothes, music, celebrations ect. They don't consider the iceberg underneath of things like views on animals/women/marriage/warfare ect. If they did they'd find most cultures to be far more xenophobic and oppressive then those of Western nations.
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Population - 35,351,804 est
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
Beyond The Void (planned) - Escojian Empire
Persian Mortals (planned) - Gallic Kingdom
-
-

THE KINGDOM OF NANCIVANIA
COBALT NETWORK FOUNDING MEMBER
Est. 2024

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:22 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

That's a pretty cold take if I ever saw one.

The title of the thread was "Hot Takes Discussion", not "Thernsy Solves All Problems Discussion".

I made mine. I'm discussing the other ones.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Neuer California
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Neuer California » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:26 pm

Nancivania wrote:Here's a few:

- Morality without a higher power cannot logically exist. There is no way to logically justify "natural human rights" from an athiest perspective without contradictions or faulty arguments

I am seriously tempted.to.start a thread on the above and why I think it's wrong. Only reason I have for not is laziness and working out a.sufficient OP
Puppet of Neu California. I wanted a fresh start on my nation.
And yes, that is two girls kissing in my flag. I am strongly pro-LGBT and a big fan of yuri stuff, so...
Pro: gun control, LGBT rights, taxing the rich heavily, welfare, UBI, universal healthcare, corporate regulations
Anti: bullying, gun bans, unlimited gun rights, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, Trump, excessive corporate power
34 year old agnostic writer of smut free lesbian speculative fiction. Aspergers, social anxiety, and yet not a giant raging dick
Ifreann wrote:
Suriyanakhon wrote:
Does this mean wlw is most holy in God's eyes?

It turns out that lesbians are God's chosen people.

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:31 pm

Neuer California wrote:
Nancivania wrote:Here's a few:

I am seriously tempted.to.start a thread on the above and why I think it's wrong. Only reason I have for not is laziness and working out a.sufficient OP

You do you, my friend
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Nancivania wrote:- Morality without a higher power cannot logically exist. There is no way to logically justify "natural human rights" from an athiest perspective without contradictions or faulty arguments

Suffering by definition is bad.

Bad things by definition are undesirable.

Undesirable things by definition should be avoided.

Therefore, it makes sense to not deliberately inflict suffering.

Boom. A flawless atheist moral code.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Nancivania wrote:

- People unfairly criticize American foreign policy as evil and imperialistic. But fail to realize that the US is the most humane, least comparably destructive, and least genocidal superpower that has ever existed. While the US has commit atrocities, it has done so on a scale many times smaller then other world powers in the past and today did, or would have. And is the only one where people feel bad about it

Sure, if you discount the fact that the US successful carried out a General Plan Ost on its native population. I suppose that's not foreign policy though.
Last edited by Kanadorika on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Page wrote:
Nancivania wrote:- Morality without a higher power cannot logically exist. There is no way to logically justify "natural human rights" from an athiest perspective without contradictions or faulty arguments

Why is suffering by definition bad?

if there's no higher power then the only laws that are not artificially made by humans are the laws of nature. And the laws of nature is simply the survival of the fittest which mandates not caring about and usually being the cause of suffering in others
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Page wrote:

if there's no higher power then the only laws that are not artificially made by humans are the laws of nature. And the laws of nature is simply the survival of the fittest which mandates not caring about and usually being the cause of suffering in others

here's my fucking hot take
well second one but whatever
everyone who even thinks about uttering the words survival of the fittest should have to actually read darwin or fuck, even a basic explanation of evolution so they don't think it means the absolute horseshit you claim it does
caring about each other and building communities is part of why humanity is "the fittest" for fuck's sake
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:Cold Pizza > Microwaved Pizza

HERESY!
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Neuer California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neuer California » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:52 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Page wrote:

I would have gone with suffering, by definition, is undesirable.

Regardless, you second paragraph is the gist of reality only if you don't care about things like empathy, social cohesion, etc. None of which require religion
And yes, that is two girls kissing in my flag. I am strongly pro-LGBT and a big fan of yuri stuff, so...
Pro: gun control, LGBT rights, taxing the rich heavily, welfare, UBI, universal healthcare, corporate regulations
Anti: bullying, gun bans, unlimited gun rights, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, Trump, excessive corporate power
34 year old agnostic writer of smut free lesbian speculative fiction. Aspergers, social anxiety, and yet not a giant raging dick
Ifreann wrote:
Suriyanakhon wrote:

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:57 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Page wrote:

Not an atheist, but not only does most suffering from humans come from other humans, which is contrary to societal nature and ruins people's chance's of reproduction, in addition to suffering reducing lifespan and thus ruining chances of reproduction. All of this would also contribute to a reduced gene pool, once again ruining evolution.

However, I'm a newly made Hindu, so my explanation is to do good deeds to attain karma and eventually break the cycle in order to ascend. I might not stick around with Hinduism though, so don't be surprised if this changes.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:59 pm

Xmara wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:Cold Pizza > Microwaved Pizza

HERESY!

The sause is everywhere, and it looses the taste of pizza and tastes like tomatoes. Which are disgusting.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:03 pm

Kanadorika wrote:
Nancivania wrote:

Sure, if you discount the fact that the US successful carried out a General Plan Ost on its native population. I suppose that's not foreign policy though.

The US-Indian wars were not that devastating comparable to other conflicts in world history. Exact numbers are hard but the battles and population displacements couldn't have killed more then ~30,000 First Nations by the absolutely highest reputable estimates I've found. I'm not including the millions killed by disease due to European contact as you can't realistically say that was the USA nor really intentional.

That's a quite small number if we're being realistic. There's a huge number of Americans who deeply feel bad about it and the US has gone out of it's way to allow them to have their own reservations. The quality of these reservations is a problem of course but most people agree they should keep the rez's and have their quality improved.

Now ask yourself if any other superpower would've done this. Are there native reservations in Russia? Did the Romans give land to the Jews after removing them from Judea? Is China concerned with the cultural survival of the Manchu population?

The US' treatment of the natives was barbaric absolutely. But is almost negligible compared to atrocities commit by others. And while scale doesn't mean it was right, I think most Americans today (and even many back then) agree that it was wrong
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:06 pm

Neuer California wrote:
Nancivania wrote:Why is suffering by definition bad?

I would have gone with suffering, by definition, is undesirable.

Regardless, you second paragraph is the gist of reality only if you don't care about things like empathy, social cohesion, etc. None of which require religion

None of which require religion yes, but also none of which can be logically stated as moral from an athiest perspective either
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:12 pm

Exalted Inquellian State wrote:
Nancivania wrote:Why is suffering by definition bad?

Not an atheist, but not only does most suffering from humans come from other humans, which is contrary to societal nature and ruins people's chance's of reproduction, in addition to suffering reducing lifespan and thus ruining chances of reproduction. All of this would also contribute to a reduced gene pool, once again ruining evolution.

However, I'm a newly made Hindu, so my explanation is to do good deeds to attain karma and eventually break the cycle in order to ascend. I might not stick around with Hinduism though, so don't be surprised if this changes.

Causing suffering in rival can humans mean you could get to reproduce more. The laws of nature don't care about the size of the total genepool, only that your genes get passed on. Most of us would agree that a man killing all other men around and raping the women is completely immoral. But from nature's perspective, could be useful in some cases for his genes.
Last edited by Nancivania on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:17 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Exalted Inquellian State wrote:Not an atheist, but not only does most suffering from humans come from other humans, which is contrary to societal nature and ruins people's chance's of reproduction, in addition to suffering reducing lifespan and thus ruining chances of reproduction. All of this would also contribute to a reduced gene pool, once again ruining evolution.

Causing suffering in rival can humans mean you could get to reproduce more. The laws of nature don't care about the size of the total genepool, only that your genes get passed on. Most of us would agree that a man killing all other men around and raping the women is completely immoral. But from nature's perspective, could be useful in some cases for his genes.

building a safe community that provides and cares for each other and thus safeguards your children's development > fucc moar

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:19 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Nancivania wrote:Causing suffering in rival can humans mean you could get to reproduce more. The laws of nature don't care about the size of the total genepool, only that your genes get passed on. Most of us would agree that a man killing all other men around and raping the women is completely immoral. But from nature's perspective, could be useful in some cases for his genes.

building a safe community that provides and cares for each other and thus safeguards your children's development > fucc moar

Practically every major religion agrees, nature doesn't always. Athiests have no reason to care about the former
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:24 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:building a safe community that provides and cares for each other and thus safeguards your children's development > fucc moar

Practically every major religion agrees, nature doesn't always. Athiests have no reason to care about the former

that's pretty much how human development has went since prehistoric times
also, atheism does not preclude empathy

Nancivania
Minister

Postby Nancivania » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:26 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Nancivania wrote:Practically every major religion agrees, nature doesn't always. Athiests have no reason to care about the former

that's pretty much how human development has went since prehistoric times

Of course not, but it also doesn't rule out ignoring it whereas most religion does
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
-
-

Est. 2024

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:29 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:Still waiting for a hot take. Haven't seen one yet.

Vire hot. real ht ja

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:30 pm

Nancivania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:that's pretty much how human development has went since prehistoric times

Of course not, but it also doesn't rule out ignoring it whereas most religion does

okay? and most religions have some adherents that flagrantly disregard that
your original point was that morality from an atheist perspective is illogical/contradictory, but i think you've been given some good arguments as to why that's wrong

Neuer California
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neuer California » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm

To try to drag this back on topic -ish

Moving forward and turning with the left control stick and looking up and down and strafing with the right is the one true control scheme for first-person games played with controllers
Last edited by Neuer California on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifreann wrote:
Suriyanakhon wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General