NATION

PASSWORD

Hot Takes Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:21 am

Kowani wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:We have a subsurface exploration authority?

Not in the sense that it is a distinct entity, no

I feel better, thanks.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Perikuresu
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Perikuresu » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:31 am

Nova Catania wrote:2. Sex ed. I don’t give a crap about it. Adults argue over it, we snicker over it. As long as it doesn’t get too preachy in either direction, I’m fine.

Sarah: Mummy, how old were u when I was born?

Mum: 15

(yes, yes, abortions exist)
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities
NS Stats non canon, NS Policies canon tho
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:23 am

Kowani wrote:
Eahland wrote:And you've completely failed to provide any justification for that assertion. You're telling me that my town selectboard should be either partisan (why?)
firstly because non-partisan offices are simply a nice lie we tell ourselves to pretend that political activity can exist outside of partisan politics (there are, of course, one-off examples, the Alaska legislature is illustrative, but they are exceptions) and we should be honest about that, but more importantly because this dynamic only obscures the politics of reaction to modern curriculum. And for the kids, it also promotes stability and continuity of school administration and curriculum.
or appointed (by whom?)?
I don’t know the makeup of your local government
preferably the slots would be open only to the civil service and the mayor/manager/council would pick from there but if your town’s small enough that might not be an option

Kerwa wrote:
I approve of high handedly appointing nutters to oversee schools without any parental input. Also parents should be removed in having any say at all about the running of the schools.
as much as is feasible, yes. parents are in fact given far too much power over schools (the US is is a global outlier here for a reason!) and their kids’ lives in general
Schools should all be controlled by a faceless, unreachable, unimpeachable bureaucrat - with a lifetime appointment - in DC.
lmao no this is a horrible idea
Completely removing parents from the “school” process will increase disillusionment with the system encouraging withdrawal. Once only the most feckless and lazy are sending their kids to government schools they will lose popular support and collapse - much like the NYC bureau of subsurface exploration - helping solve your imagined real estate crisis.iw

So good idea.

…NYC’s subsurface exploration authority belongs to the DOT, you did not think this example through at all

I can live with shitty "indoctrination". Only dumbasses actually believe teachers on anything that is remotely political. Historical you can easily find out later if they were lying or simply politicizing. My two cents is, people want to blame the education system for "X" and "Y" since it doesn't completely fit their ideal for an education. However, there is a completely acceptable alternative for that: private education or homeschooling (if your really that invested).
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Nova Catania wrote:Now that it’s on topic here’s my rant against the school system. Just so you know, I live in North Carolina.

1. Cut unnecessary classes. Pre-calculus does squat in the real world. Instead, add useful classes, like personal finance, job skills, maybe even first aid.

2. Sex ed. I don’t give a crap about it. Adults argue over it, we snicker over it. As long as it doesn’t get too preachy in either direction, I’m fine.

3. History. Dead people and their mistakes. In my mind, history should be balanced. I was lucky enough to have a US history teacher who was. So teach kids about the mistakes that were made, don’t sweep them under the rug. As for CRT (I had to look up what it was, other than just a political thing that riled people up) I don’t understand it well enough to have an opinion.

4. GIVE STUDENTS A DAMN SAY IN THINGS. The school board has become too politicized. Instead, it should be handled by a group of teachers from each school, and a STUDENT ELECTED representative from each. School elections are hilariously low-stakes, but if the student council actually gets to make legit policies, and decide how to use funds, or at least has a vote in said decisions, students will be more involved, and learn to view the political system as a way to positively change their community. This is essential because while the grow-ups are too far gone in their attachment to parties, the younger populace still has a chance to break free from this as we grow older.

5. Teachers always get away with public sympathy with the “We don’t get paid enough to do glorified babysitting” schtick. No offense to any teachers, but think of the students people! We’re the ones who get paid nothing to sit and listen to teachers squawk. If life is made easier for the students, we’ll be happier, give the teachers less bad headaches, they’ll give the overly-politicized school board a less bad head ache, they’ll give the parents a less bad headache, and our parents will give us les bad head aches. It’s a cycle of headache lessening.

If I ran just my local school system, these changes would be implemented.

Fucking based out the wazoo

Nova Catania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Catania » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:55 pm

Deblar wrote:
Nova Catania wrote:Now that it’s on topic here’s my rant against the school system. Just so you know, I live in North Carolina.

1. Cut unnecessary classes. Pre-calculus does squat in the real world. Instead, add useful classes, like personal finance, job skills, maybe even first aid.

2. Sex ed. I don’t give a crap about it. Adults argue over it, we snicker over it. As long as it doesn’t get too preachy in either direction, I’m fine.

3. History. Dead people and their mistakes. In my mind, history should be balanced. I was lucky enough to have a US history teacher who was. So teach kids about the mistakes that were made, don’t sweep them under the rug. As for CRT (I had to look up what it was, other than just a political thing that riled people up) I don’t understand it well enough to have an opinion.

4. GIVE STUDENTS A DAMN SAY IN THINGS. The school board has become too politicized. Instead, it should be handled by a group of teachers from each school, and a STUDENT ELECTED representative from each. School elections are hilariously low-stakes, but if the student council actually gets to make legit policies, and decide how to use funds, or at least has a vote in said decisions, students will be more involved, and learn to view the political system as a way to positively change their community. This is essential because while the grow-ups are too far gone in their attachment to parties, the younger populace still has a chance to break free from this as we grow older.

5. Teachers always get away with public sympathy with the “We don’t get paid enough to do glorified babysitting” schtick. No offense to any teachers, but think of the students people! We’re the ones who get paid nothing to sit and listen to teachers squawk. If life is made easier for the students, we’ll be happier, give the teachers less bad headaches, they’ll give the overly-politicized school board a less bad head ache, they’ll give the parents a less bad headache, and our parents will give us les bad head aches. It’s a cycle of headache lessening.

If I ran just my local school system, these changes would be implemented.

Fucking based out the wazoo

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I don’t know.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012

Postby Uiiop » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 pm

Every political group that's significant believes in the value judgements of the "Power+prejudice" of racism. Some just think just saying it out means you're trying to hide Racism.

In the end however, Serial killing by the state or any institution is treated differently than an sole murder. Just not necessarily with the urgency & militant-focus opposition the proponents of this meaning want.
#NSTransparency

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:We have a subsurface exploration authority?

Bureau, not authority. It’s in the Municipal Building on Center as it’s under the control of the DEP. It’s not as glamorous as it sounds, it’s just an office where all the soil investigation records submitted to NYC are supposed to be archived - mostly soil boring logs (split spoon). In practice it really doesn’t do that. It obviously has some records, but by no means everything submitted.

You can ask either the DEP or the DDC for the records, but good luck. You actually have to go in person if you really want something. I haven’t been for 20+ years, so I’ve no idea what it is like now, but there used to be people playing computer games a lot. I imagine smartphones have changed that somewhat.

It’s a separate entity. I think Kowani is confusing it with state stuff.

Malaiya Union
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Malaiya Union » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:30 am

Local politics structurally and significantly favors NIMBYs and the well-connected and has produced many catastrophic damages throughout society.
前進馬來亞 | Imagine a Singapore, but the scale of Indonesia

Chinese people took over Malaya; its native Malay and tribal people bulldozed by overpopulated megacities sprawl, destructive palm plantations, and hyper-competitive "kiasu" corporate culture. Under the authoritarian technocracy of Lee Kuan Yew and his "Kongsi government", the quasi-apartheid state grew into a cyberpunk techno-industrial behemoth equal to Japan. Yet the specter of Maoism and Islamism among the second-class is ever-present...

This nation is dedicated to the Islamist cleric near my friend's house, who preached during Friday sermon that the Chinese will buy up all the land and expell all the Muslims and the Muslims will be forced to live on top of the mountains. (It was election season).

Malaiya Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Malaiya Union » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:35 am

Another hot take: objectively, Communism has become irrelevant and can be ignored.

Chinese people took over Malaya; its native Malay and tribal people bulldozed by overpopulated megacities sprawl, destructive palm plantations, and hyper-competitive "kiasu" corporate culture. Under the authoritarian technocracy of Lee Kuan Yew and his "Kongsi government", the quasi-apartheid state grew into a cyberpunk techno-industrial behemoth equal to Japan. Yet the specter of Maoism and Islamism among the second-class is ever-present...

This nation is dedicated to the Islamist cleric near my friend's house, who preached during Friday sermon that the Chinese will buy up all the land and expell all the Muslims and the Muslims will be forced to live on top of the mountains. (It was election season).

Malphe II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Malphe II » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:04 am

Malaiya Union wrote:Another hot take: objectively, Communism has become irrelevant and can be ignored.

Why? Do you think something has fundamentally changed with class interactions?
malphe vytherov
i'm always ooc unless it's a formal statement

Malaiya Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Malaiya Union » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:24 am

Malphe II wrote:
Malaiya Union wrote:Another hot take: objectively, Communism has become irrelevant and can be ignored.

Why? Do you think something has fundamentally changed with class interactions?

I don't mean in principle, I mean in practice. There is no more significant communist movements, communist parties, communist internationales, communist conspiracies, communist uprisings, communist civil wars in the world that actually give a sizeable impact to the world. And it won't ever resurge from this current state, simply because it's irrelevant and has been replaced by newer phenomenons.
Last edited by Malaiya Union on Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perikuresu
Minister

Postby Perikuresu » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:26 am

Malaiya Union wrote:
Malphe II wrote:Why? Do you think something has fundamentally changed with class interactions?

I don't mean in principle, I mean in practice. There is no more significant communist movements, communist parties, communist internationales, communist conspiracies, communist uprisings, communist civil wars in the world that actually give an impact to the world. And it won't ever resurge.

And most of the communist nations in the world use capitalism to some degree? (I mean, could also be explained by it's necessity because the rest of the word uses it)
Last edited by Perikuresu on Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities

Malaiya Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Malaiya Union » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:28 am

Perikuresu wrote:
Malaiya Union wrote:I don't mean in principle, I mean in practice. There is no more significant communist movements, communist parties, communist internationales, communist conspiracies, communist uprisings, communist civil wars in the world that actually give an impact to the world. And it won't ever resurge.

And most of the communist nations in the world use capitalism to some degree? (I mean, could also be explained by it's necessity because the rest of the word uses it)

Vietnam, said to be a communist nation, has a better Ease of Doing Business rating that my supposed crony capitalist hellhole of Indonesia. My political leaders look to Vietnam on how to better implement a more effective capitalism. Recent concrete examples include the Omnibus Law, which slashes worker's benefits and weaken unions as to promote economic growth.
Last edited by Malaiya Union on Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perikuresu
Minister

Postby Perikuresu » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:30 am

Malaiya Union wrote:
Perikuresu wrote:And most of the communist nations in the world use capitalism to some degree? (I mean, could also be explained by it's necessity because the rest of the word uses it)

Vietnam, said to be a communist nation, has a better Ease of Doing Business rating that my supposed crony capitalist hellhole of Indonesia.

And is it because of government interference not allowing companies to do anything scummy or something else? (Doubt it, large organisations will inevitably be as corrupt as a motherfucker, government or corporation)

Malaiya Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Malaiya Union » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:32 am

Perikuresu wrote:
Malaiya Union wrote:Vietnam, said to be a communist nation, has a better Ease of Doing Business rating that my supposed crony capitalist hellhole of Indonesia.

And is it because of government interference not allowing companies to do anything scummy or something else? (Doubt it, large organisations will inevitably be as corrupt as a motherfucker, government or corporation)

Eh, Indonesia IS corrupt, there is no question there. Bureaucracy, especially in local government, exists to stifle and loot businesses. Large businesses buys politician to protect themselves from state looting and to promote state looting on their competitors. The people, oppressed under corruption, self-organize into mafia mass organizations (usually religious) able to extort and loot businesses themselves. Intelligent people leave the country and never return.
Last edited by Malaiya Union on Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

New Tryphalia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby New Tryphalia » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:51 am

Child support should only be assigned to biological parents and only after said affinity of blood is proven by DNA.
Hellenistic pagan military monarchy with strong patriarchal tendencies, a generous welfare state, powerful trade unions, and a mixed-market economy.
“The 1980s are calling. They want their foreign policy back.” - President Barack Obama to Mitt Romney, 2012
“But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say that there are twenty Gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” - Thomas Jefferson

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:57 am

Malaiya Union wrote:Local politics structurally and significantly favors NIMBYs and the well-connected and has produced many catastrophic damages throughout society.

True

The smaller the government, the easier the capture
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Keemstar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Keemstar » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:49 am

There is a Christian thread and an Islamic, I wonder why there is no pagan. (I'm not a pagan) But I guess someone could make one
As the Greeks taught us it always begins with a woman.
-Mister Metokur
Ezekiel 25:17
And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

The dragonian knigths
Secretary

Founded: Mar 14, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The dragonian knigths » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:01 am

If you want a real hot take then here:
Catherine of Medicii was justified to help the catholics into starting the events that led to the St Bartolomy night

Keemstar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Keemstar » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:51 am

Hot take

Best novel in history change my mind.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... sual-novel
-Mister Metokur
And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

Greene County Association
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Greene County Association » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:53 am

Men should refuse to breed at all and watch as women's biological clocks make them completely desperate. Get a vasectomy for the brotherhood, blokes!

The dragonian knigths
Secretary

Founded: Mar 14, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The dragonian knigths » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:57 am

Greene County Association wrote:Men should refuse to breed at all and watch as women's biological clocks make them completely desperate. Get a vasectomy for the brotherhood, blokes!

Lol no, we already have ways to get past that little inconvenience still total sterilization of all newborns...

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:12 am

Keemstar wrote:Hot take

N o .
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times
INT:| Canada "Gives Up" on Hiding Aliens and UFOs/ NAT:| Ravenian Astronauts That Went on the EELOO Mission Report Seeing a Mass of "Squidlike Handlike Starships"
Borb with an NS account and a crippling addiction passion to JoJo that Lives in the F7 Servers | TG’s are not for JoJo Stuff | Current Global Mood: I-is that a… | NSStats Accused of Treason to the Republic | Copper Plasma > Lasers

Perikuresu
Minister

Postby Perikuresu » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:20 am

If Turkey doesn't get in the EU, then having Georgia in the EU will be unviable

Keemstar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Keemstar » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:30 am

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Keemstar wrote:Hot take

N o .

Y E S.
-Mister Metokur

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General