NATION

PASSWORD

Failing at life

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

FNU
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby FNU » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm

I don't truthfully understand what defines it. Perhaps it's living long enough to plague yourself with guilt, perhaps it's not being able to financially support yourself. Honestly, I can't be sure. Metrics of failure aren't like the metrics of say, weighing a loaf of bread. One is absolute, the other completely subjective to the person it's being applied upon. Maybe with the passage of time I'll be able to form my concept of it far better, but for now, it's another one of the many questions that'll haunt me at two in the morning.
I write dumb things, ask and I'll vaguely explain them.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 pm

It is subjective to an extent, though cultural norms play a major role as well. Our inner ambitions and broader society shape for each individual what it means to succeed and to fail.

Although, I'd also argue that some more widely accepted standards, such as being a rapist, are so broadly accepted across all cultures that we may as well label it as an objective way to fail.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:This sounds terrible.

Add being stuck in a terrible marriage (honestly one of my greatest fears), throw in some heavy and very damaging substance abuse and it just about completes it. I'd say the three things would work together to create ultimate misery.

Its nearly impossible to get stuck in a bad marriage. You can always divorce or walk away from such a relationship usually, unless you're too afraid or unwilling to take the loss that you could get as a result or if you're economically dependent on the other person and you know you'll immediately be screwed without them.

Most of my relatives cling on to very clearly and objectively failed marriages. If there’s an economic incentive to stay married, then there’s still the bitterness that they were led by the other party to structure their life to create such dependency.

I wouldn’t touch the institution with a ten foot pole though of course out of politeness, I’ll still congratulate those who get newly married but only out of a sense of social convention. When I say Good Luck I mean it, in the sense of “yeah you’ve really got an uphill battle here. To the extent I can bless you with luck I offer it.”
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Imperium man
Secretary

Founded: Apr 18, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperium man » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am

Falling at life? Nobody cares about your statement , you fedora neckbeard

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 am

Major-Tom wrote:It is subjective to an extent, though cultural norms play a major role as well. Our inner ambitions and broader society shape for each individual what it means to succeed and to fail.

Although, I'd also argue that some more widely accepted standards, such as being a rapist, are so broadly accepted across all cultures that we may as well label it as an objective way to fail.

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums up my views that I probably couldn't. ;)
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Forget MeNot
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Forget MeNot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Totally subjective. I feel I could be doing better in many aspects of life at many times in my life. I also feel that "failing" isn't concrete. Life has seasons.. some are better than others and there is always an opportunity to start anew.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Major-Tom wrote:It is subjective to an extent, though cultural norms play a major role as well. Our inner ambitions and broader society shape for each individual what it means to succeed and to fail.

Being a piece of shit vs. a failure still differs somewhat.

Whether or not someone is a failure, I think, hinges largely on how they are impacted by society and their position therein. Someone like Harvey Weinstein can now be considered a failure, but before he got caught he was not. The thing that changed his status from success to failure was getting caught - not the act itself.

One also needs a society to be able to be a success or a failure. You need to be surrounded by a societal context...a point of reference of sorts, something for scale.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:This sounds terrible.

Add being stuck in a terrible marriage (honestly one of my greatest fears), throw in some heavy and very damaging substance abuse and it just about completes it. I'd say the three things would work together to create ultimate misery.

Its nearly impossible to get stuck in a bad marriage. You can always divorce or walk away from such a relationship usually, unless you're too afraid or unwilling to take the loss that you could get as a result or if you're economically dependent on the other person and you know you'll immediately be screwed without them.

When I took victimology as an undergrad, we actually discussed this topic in class. It's a lot harder for abuse victims to leave their abusers than what most people realize. It's not just economic dependency or "weak will." The abuser degrades the victim's self esteem so much that the victim starts to believe that they really don't have a choice but to stay with their abuser. They think that the abuser is the only one who will ever love them, or that they will never be able to survive on their own, or that they are worthless without the abuser. And without proper intervention, it can be a difficult cycle to break.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Elite leomonade
Secretary

Founded: May 31, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Personal explanation

Postby Elite leomonade » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:20 pm

" What exactly does "failing at life" mean, exactly?"

For me, it is the feeling of being a burden on the people around you and not wanting to talk about how things really are. I always *and still* felt/feel
like I am a puzzle piece that fits in the puzzle but doesn't contribute to the puzzle image, But that's just my version of it.

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 pm

You only fail at life if you feel like you have failed. No matter what your circumstance is, so long as you are satisfied or at the very least seeking improvement, you have not failed.
Last edited by Kanadorika on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General