NATION

PASSWORD

Atheism and Agnosticism discrimination thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ispravlennaja Tsekovija
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Ispravlennaja Tsekovija » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:47 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ispravlennaja Tsekovija wrote:wow. wow. i am beyond words. there is no point in talking to you. in one ear and out the other. i'm done with this.

you also did argumentum ad dumbass which is latin. the point is the same regardless of the accuracy of your pedantry though

No, that's not real Latin. That's a joke. And pointing to it is far more pedantic then whatever I did.

what do you get out of acting like this? there are way more interesting and efficient ways to make yourself feel superior to others, so i can't imagine that's it.
But this is boring. How about instead of just endlessly complaining that I'm not using words you like, you try actually dealing with an argument.

what argument? you've screeched about how i am committing Logical Fallacy. that's not an argument, that's one of the laziest things you can possibly do
""nsg is dumb" —barack obama" —plato

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Would you agree that science and religion are fundamentally in opposition to each other? Not their conclusions, but the basis upon which they rest?

Yes.

That's not to say that they can't coexist within the same person. But they're fundamentally doing different things.

Oh they definitely can exist in the same person, all we need to do is look back at those like Newton and the like. It is just that in order to do "good" science one must not include faith.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Yes.

That's not to say that they can't coexist within the same person. But they're fundamentally doing different things.

Oh they definitely can exist in the same person, all we need to do is look back at those like Newton and the like. It is just that in order to do "good" science one must not include faith.

You could take a Spinoza like attitude. Believe in a prime mover, but the universe is runs on the laws its founded on and science is discovering those laws
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

You could take a Spinoza like attitude. Believe in a prime mover, but the universe is runs on the laws its founded on and science is discovering those laws

What is meant by a prime mover? The belief in a prime-mover that is somehow personal is still a faith-based belief.
Just A Little though

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:58 pm

Ispravlennaja Tsekovija wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:No, that's not real Latin. That's a joke. And pointing to it is far more pedantic then whatever I did.

what do you get out of acting like this? there are way more interesting and efficient ways to make yourself feel superior to others, so i can't imagine that's it.

Is this projecting?

But this is boring. How about instead of just endlessly complaining that I'm not using words you like, you try actually dealing with an argument.

what argument? you've screeched about how i am committing Logical Fallacy. that's not an argument, that's one of the laziest things you can possibly do

If you just throw out the name of a logical fallacy, sure. But that's not what I did. I said that religious arguments concerning the origin of the universe are absurd, explained why, and only later pointed out that this happens to take the form of a fallacy.

What you're doing where you say, "OH NO! YOU SAY BAD WORD! THAT MEAN YOU LOSE ARGUMENT!" is actually laziest thing you can possibly do.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ispravlennaja Tsekovija wrote:what do you get out of acting like this? there are way more interesting and efficient ways to make yourself feel superior to others, so i can't imagine that's it.

Is this projecting?

If you just throw out the name of a logical fallacy, sure. But that's not what I did. I said that religious arguments concerning the origin of the universe are absurd, explained why, and only later pointed out that this happens to take the form of a fallacy.

What you're doing where you say, "OH NO! YOU SAY BAD WORD! THAT MEAN YOU LOSE ARGUMENT!" is actually laziest thing you can possibly do.

More than that your point supports what I am saying, which is that science and religion are at their fundamentals in opposition.
Just A Little though

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:04 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I think Deism held more of an appeal before Darwin showed that, actually, blind watchmakers are kind of a thing.

But I like Spinoza, and I don't really object to his way of viewing things.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:You could take a Spinoza like attitude. Believe in a prime mover, but the universe is runs on the laws its founded on and science is discovering those laws

What is meant by a prime mover? The belief in a prime-mover that is somehow personal is still a faith-based belief.

That you have the faith in a God, that the universe that was created works in a rational basis, and those rules are understandable and discoverable.

Neanderthaland alluded to the watchmaker analogy which if I remember right was Spinoza 's. ( its been an awfully long time since I read him).

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:05 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:What is meant by a prime mover? The belief in a prime-mover that is somehow personal is still a faith-based belief.

That you have the faith in a God, that the universe that was created works in a rational basis, and those rules are understandable and discoverable.

Neanderthaland alluded to the watchmaker analogy which if I remember right was Spinoza 's. ( its been an awfully long time since I read him).

Ah. I don't agree with the idea but I understand it. Pretty sure most of the older scientists (newton and the like) were thinking along the lines similar to that. Basically, that God created the rules by which the universe ran and they were just discovering them.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Which is fair enough.

And it makes me wonder if there's a God out there that created a universe where pi equals 3. Since she wanted to keep things simple.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:What is meant by a prime mover? The belief in a prime-mover that is somehow personal is still a faith-based belief.

I should clarify: the watchmaker analogy doesn't have much to do with anything. Except that, it used to be thought that the order we see in nature could only have arisen from intent. Spinoza focuses mainly on the concept of a prime-mover, which is essentially unrelated.

I think Darwin and watchmaker arguments are relevant, not because they directly relate to Spinoza. But because - when Darwin demolished the watchmaker argument - scientists began realizing that nature wouldn't conform to human notions of philosophy, theology, or pure reason. That reality was going to speak for itself, and it didn't care at all about what your reasoning says it "must" be like.

And that, in turn, started eroding the idea of the prime-mover. So that now days the people who probably would have been deists in the past tend to be agnostic or atheist.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:That you have the faith in a God, that the universe that was created works in a rational basis, and those rules are understandable and discoverable.

I should clarify: the watchmaker analogy doesn't have much to do with anything. Except that, it used to be thought that the order we see in nature could only have arisen from intent. Spinoza focuses mainly on the concept of a prime-mover, which is essentially unrelated.

I think Darwin and watchmaker arguments are relevant, not because they directly relate to Spinoza. But because - when Darwin demolished the watchmaker argument - scientists began realizing that nature wouldn't conform to human notions of philosophy, theology, or pure reason. That reality was going to speak for itself, and it didn't care at all about what your reasoning says it "must" be like.

And that, in turn, started eroding the idea of the prime-mover. So that now days the people who probably would have been deists in the past tend to be agnostic or atheist.

What can I say, I am a fan of the rationalists.

You are right in the sense that they thought the laws of nature are simple, fixed and majestic. That the laws are chaotic, and counterintuitive never would have occurred to them. I like to think if the evidence we have today were presented to them, they would have adjusted their views of the science without a corresponding loss of faith

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:51 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Well-Armed Philosophers wrote:
I would make a semantic distinction between a "religion", and a "religious belief", and I would posit that belief in no God requires the same fundamental leap of faith as belief in God. I just find it annoying when atheists turn to "science" or "reason", especially considering that many great advancements in both science and reason were made by people with deep religious convictions. There is nothing inherently unreasonable or unscientific about beliefs in a higher power, the whole church vs science thing has always been political.

Except that many atheists do not define themselves as believing in no gods. And I disagree, the very core of science and religion are in direct opposition to each other.

I have to say that this is somewhat ignorant of the historical process of the development of ideas; religion itself did not emerge, as is, from a metaphysical cocoon as an antithesis to some abstract understanding of "science". Scientific development is entirely congruent with the continued expansion and progression of institutions which can themselves be of a religious nature: man merely made explanations, with what information was available to him, for what he saw before him. This is how reason, logic, and science generally progressed. And as ideology sprung from how we analysed and interpreted the world, ideology codified itself in increasingly complex institutions, which led to things such as the Church, the Caliphate, and in modern times various rather influential scientific institutions. We developed social ritual to go along with these institutions and reinforce our ideological commitment to them. This is what "religion" is on a material basis -- there is no incompatibility between such religiosity and science. And even now, as our scientific understanding breaks down so incomprehensibly when we look beyond the origins of the universe, it is incredibly arrogant to suggest that we can deduce any religious conclusion regarding whether something akin to a "God" does or does not exist: all we know is that we can derive an objective conclusion that if this "God" exists, he sure as hell doesn't want to make himself apparent.
Last edited by Hukhalia on Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 am

Hukhalia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Except that many atheists do not define themselves as believing in no gods. And I disagree, the very core of science and religion are in direct opposition to each other.

I have to say that this is somewhat ignorant of the historical process of the development of ideas; religion itself did not emerge, as is, from a metaphysical cocoon as an antithesis to some abstract understanding of "science". Scientific development is entirely congruent with the continued expansion and progression of institutions which can themselves be of a religious nature: man merely made explanations, with what information was available to him, for what he saw before him. This is how reason, logic, and science generally progressed. And as ideology sprung from how we analysed and interpreted the world, ideology codified itself in increasingly complex institutions, which led to things such as the Church, the Caliphate, and in modern times various rather influential scientific institutions. We developed social ritual to go along with these institutions and reinforce our ideological commitment to them. This is what "religion" is on a material basis -- there is no incompatibility between such religiosity and science. And even now, as our scientific understanding breaks down so incomprehensibly when we look beyond the origins of the universe, it is incredibly arrogant to suggest that we can deduce any religious conclusion regarding whether something akin to a "God" does or does not exist: all we know is that we can derive an objective conclusion that if this "God" exists, he sure as hell doesn't want to make himself apparent.

This is a lot of words to simply say that religion and science come about in a similar manner.
Just A Little though

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:I should clarify: the watchmaker analogy doesn't have much to do with anything. Except that, it used to be thought that the order we see in nature could only have arisen from intent. Spinoza focuses mainly on the concept of a prime-mover, which is essentially unrelated.

What can I say, I am a fan of the rationalists.

You are right in the sense that they thought the laws of nature are simple, fixed and majestic. That the laws are chaotic, and counterintuitive never would have occurred to them. I like to think if the evidence we have today were presented to them, they would have adjusted their views of the science without a corresponding loss of faith

Except that Deism isn't really about faith. Deism is essentially a claim to best explanation. People have, in various ways, tried to bridge Deism with religion. But that chasm can never really be crossed. No one has successfully gotten from a Prime-mover to the Southern Methodist Episcopalian Wesleyan Church.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:38 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:What can I say, I am a fan of the rationalists.

Except that Deism isn't really about faith. Deism is essentially a claim to best explanation. People have, in various ways, tried to bridge Deism with religion. But that chasm can never really be crossed. No one has successfully gotten from a Prime-mover to the Southern Methodist Episcopalian Wesleyan Church.

And thank God for that.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ilessia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilessia » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Wherever the irreligious aren't the majority, it's liable to happen and is not limited to the Abrahamic religions either. Islamic discrimination of atheists tends to overshadow the rest due to most brutal examples brought up in our media in the West where Christianity tends to dominate, but good examples were brought up earlier on in the thread.

By the way, I live in a country with a state church next to two others with state churches and my religious education was dominated by Christianity throughout primary and secondary school as well as high school. My parents were at best liberal Christians. I haven't faced discrimination in my entire life. Bullying, yes, but not for my irreligion.

I still think any sort of religion won't be good in the long run regardless of what it is. There are molesters in our churches and sects as well and we are a protestant nation. There are two parliamentary parties which are openly Christian and seeking to instill Christian values into our country. They're more of a problem to migrants, women seeking abortions, gay and trans people. I suppose that would include me then for the gay part, but I'm not seeking a gay marriage for the time being anyway. Did campaign for it though.

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are straight up cults on top of just believing in stupid and insane things. There is nothing good which is exclusive to religion. Charity? Ever heard of welfare and foreign aid? The money given by churchgoers goes to 'aid' with proselytism in return and the priest's new car. They're socially accepted snake oil salesmen standing next to the essential oil salesmen. Religion bad. Except for my religion. It's the best religion there is.
My God is none other than Demos, the people. Only the popular masses are all-knowing, almighty and ever-present on earth. Therefore my lifetime motto is: The people are my God. Only the people can defeat the forces of Mammon and seize the throne of civilization in order to demolish it forever and build a temple in its place for the praise of its everlasting, shining glory. May a New Jerusalem rise from the ashes of Mammon and the rest of the false idols given to us from above. Join Ordo Templi Populares, the army of God the People!

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm

My area is pretty rural and generally Christian. I've never faced discrimination for being agnostic/irreligious. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but this R/Atheism hive mind that supposes "discrimination against the irreligious" overblown the problem. This isn't the 2000s Bush era anymore.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:00 am

Major-Tom wrote:My area is pretty rural and generally Christian. I've never faced discrimination for being agnostic/irreligious. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but this R/Atheism hive mind that supposes "discrimination against the irreligious" overblown the problem. This isn't the 2000s Bush era anymore.

If say it depends a lot on where you live. For some reason I’ve gotten more hate for not being Christian or religious on the east coast than on the west coast.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General