NATION

PASSWORD

AUKUS: Is this the start of WWIII?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 am

Diahon wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Definitely reason to doubt Japan joining us - Trumps' international policy with Pacific Rim nations was just so ridiculously awful that he managed to do the unthinkable and drive China and Japan into pledging deeper ties and trade back in 2018. I don't know if Biden has done enough to change any Pacific Rim opinions. Best case scenario, countries like Japan and South Korea just assume we're unreliable in the long-term but hope it's going to average out better. Worst case, they pick the stability of a next-door neighbor in an increasingly divided marketplace.

yeah, they should have plenty of reason to doubt the longterm stability of american democracy, what with the republican minority killing off its own to grab power once more

it fucking sucks

I don't necessarily think American democracy is about to implode (although you're not wrong, there's some concerted self-sabotage going on right now) but the polar-swings-as-foreign-policy approach is not reassuring to allies.
I identify as
a problem

Antipatros
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:45 am

Trivalve wrote:As some people here may know, Australia, United States and the United Kingdom publicly announced that they have created a new military alliance in response to tensions with China. Do you think that by publicly announcing this military alliance, they have lit the spark that will start world war 3? In my opinion, I think that this going to create another cold war because I believe that Russia will decide to support China by creating a new alliance which will result in other communist countries showing their support to China.

AUKUS has effectively been a thing for a long time -- this just represents a strengthening of ties. All three countries already have interlocking defense and security agreements with one another. There are also other countries in the region that separately have defense agreements with these three countries (New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Thailand, and Malaysia)

What I'm waiting for is someone like India entering into a collective defense agreement with America and/or Britain. That would be a big regional change.
Last edited by Antipatros on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:48 am

a second trump admin, or really, any republican admin at this point in time, is in effect an implosion -- think de facto isolationism as foreign policy, as republicans solidify their renewed hold on power domestically through means reminiscent of the worst of the argentinian backslide

and that's the best-case scenario, with the worst-case scenario always at the ready, thanks to the united states' surfeit of military power, which will shortly be put in the wrong hands -- again -- unless democrats do something about it

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:51 am

If there is a third world war, the European Union must be neutral.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 am

Antipatros wrote:
Trivalve wrote:As some people here may know, Australia, United States and the United Kingdom publicly announced that they have created a new military alliance in response to tensions with China. Do you think that by publicly announcing this military alliance, they have lit the spark that will start world war 3? In my opinion, I think that this going to create another cold war because I believe that Russia will decide to support China by creating a new alliance which will result in other communist countries showing their support to China.

AUKUS has effectively been a thing for a long time -- this just represents a strengthening of ties. All three countries already have interlocking defense and security agreements with one another. There are also other countries in the region that separately have defense agreements with these three countries (New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Phillipines, Thailand, and Malaysia)

What I'm waiting for is someone like India entering into a collective defense agreement with America and/or Britain. That would be a big regional change.

discount the philippines from that list -- while our military has made token efforts to pump some life into the postwar alliance between manila and washington, the fact of the matter is that duts holds all the cards, and those cards have been sold to the ccp for some time

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:55 am

I want to address this concern that The United States cannot declare its complete support for India. Although, USA and India are very close partners it cannot reveal it completely. Because the USA can't afford to lose a nuclear-armed country (Pakistan) to Chinese influence completely. Pakistan's role in War on terror and Afghanistan are the reasons it cannot accelerate itself to India solely.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
It's your very own 'France'. Land of ♥, martyrs, and culture. France has the same history as IRL in this timeline except that instead of surrendering in 1940 to Nazis France continued to fight on till their last breath. France also won the Algerian War and retained Tunisia incorporating it into the Metropolitan area of France. A true 'Great Power' and backbone of the European Union and NATO, France is an economic, industrial, military beast on equal foot to the United States, Russia, and China.
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!
Proud member of The Iron Alliance
On the morning of 1792 NS Stats were brought out on the streets of Paris.
And were 'Guillotined' in front of a large crowd of 10,000 Parisians.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 am

Antipatros wrote:

AUKUS has effectively been a thing for a long time -- this just represents a strengthening of ties. All three countries already have interlocking defense and security agreements with one another. There are also other countries in the region that separately have defense agreements with these three countries (New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Phillipines, Thailand, and Malaysia)

There's no real incentive for India to enter that kind of agreement, especially with the US - given how America has treated India over the last 40 years. It's probably more likely that India would side with China if China would make some accommodations on disputed border territory - and it would be in China's interest to do just that, given the length of the border and the perceived need for containment of 'nationalist' Islam.
I identify as
a problem

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 am

China and India could've been allies if it weren't for the expansionist desires of China. China is cosier with Pakistan. Because both have one enemy: India. ''The enemy of my enemy is my friend.''
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
It's your very own 'France'. Land of ♥, martyrs, and culture. France has the same history as IRL in this timeline except that instead of surrendering in 1940 to Nazis France continued to fight on till their last breath. France also won the Algerian War and retained Tunisia incorporating it into the Metropolitan area of France. A true 'Great Power' and backbone of the European Union and NATO, France is an economic, industrial, military beast on equal foot to the United States, Russia, and China.
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 am

Diahon wrote:
Antipatros wrote:AUKUS has effectively been a thing for a long time -- this just represents a strengthening of ties. All three countries already have interlocking defense and security agreements with one another. There are also other countries in the region that separately have defense agreements with these three countries (New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Phillipines, Thailand, and Malaysia)

discount the philippines from that list -- while our military has made token efforts to pump some life into the postwar alliance between manila and washington, the fact of the matter is that duts holds all the cards, and those cards have been sold to the ccp for some time

I can only hope that Duterte is a temporary aberration, and that the Philippines rights itself over time.

Free Metropolitan France wrote:I want to address this concern that The United States cannot declare its complete support for India. Although, USA and India are very close partners it cannot reveal it completely. Because the USA can't afford to lose a nuclear-armed country (Pakistan) to Chinese influence completely. Pakistan's role in War on terror and Afghanistan are the reasons it cannot accelerate itself to India solely.

That is true. I've gotten the sense that the US has swung more towards India in recent years, as frustrations with Pakistan have mounted and the War in Afghanistan has wound down.

The other issue complicating things is India's worsening human rights record under Modi. The US is capable of looking the other way a lot of the time (see many of the Gulf States), but it is an issue.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 am

Free Metropolitan France wrote:I want to address this concern that The United States cannot declare its complete support for India. Although, USA and India are very close partners it cannot reveal it completely. Because the USA can't afford to lose a nuclear-armed country (Pakistan) to Chinese influence completely. Pakistan's role in War on terror and Afghanistan are the reasons it cannot accelerate itself to India solely.

The US and India are not close partners. The US has exerted force to control India over the last four decades because having a tame India was useful in late-Cold War politics in Afghanistan, and then the rise of 'nationalist' Islam in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc.

With US troops now out of Afghanistan, and Pakistan no longer necessary as a strategic foothold - the US can now afford to be a little more responsive to India, but that doesn't make the US and India close.
I identify as
a problem

Helliniki Katastasis
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Helliniki Katastasis » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:03 am

Diahon wrote:a second trump admin, or really, any republican admin at this point in time, is in effect an implosion -- think de facto isolationism as foreign policy, as republicans solidify their renewed hold on power domestically through means reminiscent of the worst of the argentinian backslide

and that's the best-case scenario, with the worst-case scenario always at the ready, thanks to the united states' surfeit of military power, which will shortly be put in the wrong hands -- again -- unless democrats do something about it

I guarantee you, as a Republican, none if my fellow Repubs would allow that, and neither would I. Everyone (minus wackos in the far left and the GQP folks) believes in democracy and would do anything to preserve it. Your fear mongering based on assumptions and lies doesn't help.
Center-Right New Yorker, Glenn Youngkin 2024
America the Beautiful Political RP Characters -
Governor Mick Doherty (D-NY)

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 am

That is true. I've gotten the sense that the US has swung more towards India in recent years, as frustrations with Pakistan have mounted and the War in Afghanistan has wound down.

The other issue complicating things is India's worsening human rights record under Modi. The US is capable of looking the other way a lot of the time (see many of the Gulf States), but it is an issue.

Yeah, this is true. Pakistan has proved to be a double-edged sword for the West and particularly for The United States. The United States has come to this conclusion: You cannot rely on someone who takes money from you one hand and deliver it to your enemy from the other.
Like we have seen in Afghanistan. And America is expert to look the other way while ignoring human rights when its self-interests are at risk. Saudi Arabia, Egypt you name it.
Last edited by Free Metropolitan France on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

The US and India are not close partners. The US has exerted force to control India over the last four decades because having a tame India was useful in late-Cold War politics in Afghanistan, and then the rise of 'nationalist' Islam in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc.

With US troops now out of Afghanistan, and Pakistan no longer necessary as a strategic foothold - the US can now afford to be a little more responsive to India, but that doesn't make the US and India close.

It's true. Pakistan was an ally of the US in the Cold War while India was close to USSR. So the relations weren't great between the two. But now both have common objective: ''Stop China''.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Yama to hitobito
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Yama to hitobito » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 am

"They're should help the people in their own countries, Covid-19, Economy, Jobs and Housing"

Not Wasted Trillions Dollars like USA ,

AUXUS Is "Axis Pact" against China , DPRK and Russia.

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 am

The other possible route is that the US expands ties with various Southeast Asian countries, like Vietnam or Indonesia.

Africa and the Mideast are also important to the discussion.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:09 am

Helliniki Katastasis wrote:
Diahon wrote:a second trump admin, or really, any republican admin at this point in time, is in effect an implosion -- think de facto isolationism as foreign policy, as republicans solidify their renewed hold on power domestically through means reminiscent of the worst of the argentinian backslide

I guarantee you, as a Republican, none if my fellow Repubs would allow that, and neither would I. Everyone (minus wackos in the far left and the GQP folks) believes in democracy and would do anything to preserve it. Your fear mongering based on assumptions and lies doesn't help.

i saw the last four years under that mass-murdering motherfucker you guys have the gall to call a leader

i saw last year

you tell me i lie? well, would to the myriad fucking gods do i wish i were

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:11 am

Antipatros wrote:The other possible route is that the US expands ties with various Southeast Asian countries, like Vietnam or Indonesia.

Africa and the Mideast are also important to the discussion.

Russian influence in Africa is on an upward trajectory. Russia is challenging France and America in Africa. Not to forget Russia has signed new military agreements with African nations in the last few days. Russia deployed its own election observers while the European union removed their own ones.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:14 am

Diahon wrote:
Helliniki Katastasis wrote:

i saw the last four years under that mass-murdering motherfucker you guys have the gall to call a leader

i saw last year

Most of the Republicans in DC are interventionists and China hawks. I would say that most Republican voters are China hawks too, despite many of them also believing in the whole "America First" narrative.

Being at the very least suspicious of China seems to be one of the few unifying narratives in US politics. China's image in America has really suffered over time.

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 am

Antipatros wrote:
Diahon wrote:i saw the last four years under that mass-murdering motherfucker you guys have the gall to call a leader

i saw last year

Most of the Republicans in DC are interventionists and China hawks. I would say that most Republican voters are China hawks too, despite many of them also believing in the whole "America First" narrative.

Being at the very least suspicious of China seems to be one of the few unifying narratives in US politics. China's image in America has really suffered over time.

Since the death Of Osama Bin laden Trump has given China the image of ''Public Enemy no.1'' Trump was a disaster for America as well as for the whole world. Well, that's what happens when you listen too much to FOX.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 am

Free Metropolitan France wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

It's true. Pakistan was an ally of the US in the Cold War while India was close to USSR. So the relations weren't great between the two. But now both have common objective: ''Stop China''.

They don't really have that common objective, though, do they.

I mean, the US has got a lot tied up in opposing China's political expansion, but India's conflict with China is almost all territorial.

Moreover, while the US has major ideological opposition to China, Marxism and Maoism are intrinsic in Indian society - indeed, the LEADERSHIP of Kerala is currently Marxist, and multiple state assemblies have Marxist membership.

All China really needs to do is show some serious flexibility on disputed territory.
I identify as
a problem

Free Metropolitan France
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Metropolitan France » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:20 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Free Metropolitan France wrote:It's true. Pakistan was an ally of the US in the Cold War while India was close to USSR. So the relations weren't great between the two. But now both have common objective: ''Stop China''.

They don't really have that common objective, though, do they.

I mean, the US has got a lot tied up in opposing China's political expansion, but India's conflict with China is almost all territorial.

Moreover, while the US has major ideological opposition to China, Marxism and Maoism are intrinsic in Indian society - indeed, the LEADERSHIP of Kerala is currently Marxist, and multiple state assemblies have Marxist membership.

All China really needs to do is show some serious flexibility on disputed territory.

I couldn't agree more. China-US rivalry is deep and complex while China-India rivalry is limited to the territorial dispute of Ladakh and others. You made a good point. There are many communist parties in China some of them even hold leadership positions in some states.
★★ Republiqué Francais❦❦
Viva La Liberte!
Ukraine pour toujours!

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:31 am

Gigalaxy wrote:Suggestion: it´s the military force behind the Five Eyes (close co-operation between their military and civilian secret services, a.k.a. alphabet agencies).

NZ dropped out, so now it’s four eyes. Which is funny.

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:32 am

If I had to guess, the most likely course for India will be to balance relations with the US, Europe, Russia, and China. If we're being objective, that is probably the best path for India in the long term.

The only real constant in Indian foreign relations has been frosty relations with Pakistan.

Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Torrocca » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:36 am

Anglo countries and acting like world police while they do raw, unfettered imperialism. Name a more iconic duo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They call me Torra, but you can call me... anytime (☞⌐■_■)☞
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE 1: Anything depicted IC on this nation does NOT reflect my IRL views or values, and is not endorsed by me.
NOTICE 2: Most RP and every OOC post by me prior to 2023 are no longer endorsed nor tolerated by me. I've since put on my adult pants!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 am

AUKUS: Is this the start of WWIII?

No.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General