NATION

PASSWORD

Robert Durst Trial: Guilty or Not Guilty?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

The verdict will be

Guilty
77%
Not Guilty
23%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 13

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Robert Durst Trial: Guilty or Not Guilty?

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:47 pm

After months of following this trial and watching videos and streams of the two sides of lawyers engage in endless passive aggressive antics in court, it’s finally going to get decided.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnew ... ations.amp

The wife of Durst disappeared in 1982 (no body, no trial). Then in 2000, Durst travelled to Texas where he shot and dismembered his neighbor Morris Black. It went to trial but he claimed self defense and since the head wasn’t found, he was acquitted.

For this trial, the state is saying he shot his best friend Susan Berman because she threatened to go to the police about the wife’s murder.

There’s been a lack of evidence for years but then Durst decided to participate in a documentary about the murders whuch is what unearthed new evidence and got this second trial.

Has anyone been following this trial? Will the jury find him guilty or not guilty this time?

Trial has been messy, very intellectually hard to follow ("you can consider evidence from the Texas trial and the facts surrounding the unproven murder of the first wife but only as it relates to Motive and not in any other prejudicial way), prosecution tried to provoke Durst into making damning admissions for literally 9 straight days and because the case is somewhat circumstantial, its hypothetical after hypothetical question.

Things like: "Even if you didn't kill Berman, you would agree that she represented a threat correct?"

Both sides started to shout at each other at many segments of the trial. I mean just look at this level of acrimony at this time stamp (1:21:32), literal shoutings about accusations of lawyerly misconduct:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD7TBt4OdA

Anyways, what do you think?

Is the new case too circumstantial? Or will the jury convict? We may find out in a few days.

Not Guilty. On the whole, the case is too circumstantial. Also, the prosecution’s generally overly aggressive, overly smug, bullying behavior throughout the trial doesn’t engender goodwill from the jury.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 pm

The guy confessed over a live mic in the can. He's guilty as a suck-egg dawg. Any twelve random morons could see that if you hit them each over the head with a hammer first.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Rich property developer gets away with murder, colour me shocked.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:The guy confessed over a live mic in the can. He's guilty as a suck-egg dawg. Any twelve random morons could see that if you hit them each over the head with a hammer first.

I think the tape was subsequently found to have been edited by the documentary producers.

But the Cadaver Note is a bit of a big plus for the prosecution.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Postauthoritarian America wrote:The guy confessed over a live mic in the can. He's guilty as a suck-egg dawg. Any twelve random morons could see that if you hit them each over the head with a hammer first.

I think the tape was subsequently found to have been edited by the documentary producers.

And what was edited out pray tell, the part where he said he didn't do it?
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

And what was edited out pray tell, the part where he said he didn't do it?

I used google so you don't have to.
robert durst wrote: There it is, you’re caught.

You’re right of course. But you can’t imagine. They want to talk to him. That’s good. I find them very frightening, and I do not want to talk to them. I don’t know. The washer.

Well, I don’t know what you expected to get. But…the rest of [unintelligible] I don’t know what’s in the house. Oh, I want this.

Killed them all, of course.

I want to do something new. There’s nothing new about that.

What a disaster. He was right. I was wrong. And the burping. I’m having difficulty with the questions. What the hell did I do?

[toilet flushes]
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 pm

And the verdict is in. The wheels of justice ground slowly, slowly, but passing fine.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:And the verdict is in. The wheels of justice ground slowly, slowly, but passing fine.

The question at the start of this thread is dead in the water before the thread could even begin.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:00 pm

I think the big takeaway from this is that if you do get away with murder in court at least one time, it’s probably not the smartest idea to star in a documentary about it years down the road.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:18 pm

Durst fights back.

It’s not over.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Durst fights back.

It’s not over.

What else is he going to do?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 pm

It’s not over.

It'll be over once the court rules the first trial was completely fair. Until he files another appeal. Come to think of it him wasting his money on doomed legal appeals would be a form of justice. The cop union stopped paying for lawyers for George Floyd's murderer.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 pm

It’s not over.

It'll be over once the court rules the first trial was completely fair. Until he files another appeal. Come to think of it him wasting his money on doomed legal appeals would be a form of justice. The cop union stopped paying for lawyers for George Floyd's murderer.

Was it really though?

They allowed the DA to re-run portions of another murder trial he was already acquitted from, but had some heinous imagery like him chopping up a corpse. Now I know the judge said “it’s admitted jury but ONLY consider that in terms of the motive, don’t let anything else presented prejudice you,” but is that humanly possible? I think there’s room to argue what was admitted was so prejudicial that instructions like that really don’t guarantee a fair trial.

“Oh yeah. Let’s allow them to talk about the other trial too. If you hear anything guys, remember to turn on that switch in your brain where that only speaks to Motive and not anything to do with guilt as a whole.”

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Was it really though?

They allowed the DA to re-run portions of another murder trial he was already acquitted from, but had some heinous imagery like him chopping up a corpse. Now I know the judge said “it’s admitted jury but ONLY consider that in terms of the motive, don’t let anything else presented prejudice you,” but is that humanly possible? I think there’s room to argue what was admitted was so prejudicial that instructions like that really don’t guarantee a fair trial.

“Oh yeah. Let’s allow them to talk about the other trial too. If you hear anything guys, remember to turn on that switch in your brain where that only speaks to Motive and not anything to do with guilt as a whole.”

Whenever a criminal proceeding results in the conviction of someone with that much money = ability to hire top "legal" talent I'm incined to conclude, "yes. Yes, it was really, really, really completely and entirely fair."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Was it really though?

Whenever a criminal proceeding results in the conviction of someone with that much money = ability to hire top "legal" talent I'm incined to conclude, "yes. Yes, it was really, really, really completely and entirely fair."

The Cosby trial is an answer that disagrees with your point.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

The Cosby trial is an answer that disagrees with your point.

And how much money did Cosby spend on lawyers to argue that some agreement that never existed gave him a get out of jail free card? At least he had to spend a bunch of days hearing "hey Cos, gimme your pudding."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:The Cosby trial is an answer that disagrees with your point.

And how much money did Cosby spend on lawyers to argue that some agreement that never existed gave him a get out of jail free card? At least he had to spend a bunch of days hearing "hey Cos, gimme your pudding."

Your kidding right? Cosby never would have waived his 5th amendment rights in the civil suits without that agreement. It would have been malpractice by his lawyers to testify without it.

That evidence never should have been allowed in the criminal trial.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General