NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics VII: Virginia Reel

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you think will win the Virginia Gubernatorial Race?

Terry McAuliffe(D)
57%
Glenn Youngkin(R)
43%

Total votes : 100

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Senkaku wrote:something something barbarous orientals amirite, it’s okay to default to wars of extermination bc they don’t rlly count as ppl

Nope! Excellent stretch, though, you really reached fucking hard to find racism here lmfao. It's mostly that the PRC - that is to say, the government, since I apparently need to spell this shit out - are definitely not the understanding type. Most countries wouldn't be pleased if an Old Person Moment lead to some of their cities getting glassed. The PRC would prefer a global nuclear holocaust to another fifteen minutes of humiliation

Not sure what you mean here, if any nuclear power nuked another, the result would be a full scale exchange, that's the whole point of second strike capability as a deterrence.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Antipatros
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 pm

I was half expecting a "frankly, we did win this election" sort of speech from Elder. Thankfully he didn't do that. Maybe he's not as big of a piece of shit as Trump is.

We'll have to see what he does in the coming days.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Antipatros wrote:I was half expecting a "frankly, we did win this election" sort of speech from Elder. Thankfully he didn't do that. Maybe he's not as big of a piece of shit as Trump is.

We'll have to see what he does in the coming days.

The Republicans likely realized that winning in California would hurt them hard in the midterms because the sheer terror of California going Red even temporarily would be enough to let the Democrats sweep the Midterms, so they're they're telling Elder to sit down and shut up and accept the L.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 pm

Hope my boy MeetKevin doesn't give up and tries for some other office at some point.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.
Pro: Warlordism, harems, Amazonian horse archers, steppebooism
Anti: You

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:It’s rather fascinating how you guys are “OMG we had a coup!” rather then seeing why the General felt he needed to do it?
I actually don't care in the long run. I'm just running on the assumption that most people ITT prefer America to be a democratically elected republic with civilian control over the military.
Could it be the CandC is not really stable?
There are legal ways to remove an unfit POTUS.

Like it or not the General acted in what he thought was the best interests of the Nation.
So do a lot of coup leaders.
Ask yourself his; has he cut off Biden or is the same thing in place? If it’s no? Sorry; not a coup.
That's not what determines a coup lmfao. Do you even know the bar for when a coup is considered successful? It's about a week being in control.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 pm

Corrian wrote:Most of the vote left is in Newsom-friendly area...Not only is he going to not be recalled, he's going to not be recalled by a HUGE margin.

I know it’s California but will this make Republicans realise that Trumpist candidates are a sure fire means of losing elections because people are more motivated to vote against that shit rather than a minority who will, except that minority is a majority of Republican supporters.

As I understand it Newsom turned this around by going ‘this guy’s just like Trump’.

.. they sure are in a pickle.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:It’s rather fascinating how you guys are “OMG we had a coup!” rather then seeing why the General felt he needed to do it?
I actually don't care in the long run. I'm just running on the assumption that most people ITT prefer America to be a democratically elected republic with civilian control over the military.
Could it be the CandC is not really stable?
There are legal ways to remove an unfit POTUS.

Like it or not the General acted in what he thought was the best interests of the Nation.
Ask yourself his; has he cut off Biden or is the same thing in place? If it’s no? Sorry; not a coup.
That's not what determines a coup lmfao. Do you even know the bar for when a coup is considered successful? It's about a week being in control.

*shrugs* don’t know what to tell you dude. Not a coup. But hey if it makes you happy to be outraged? Go for it.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Immortan Khan wrote:I actually don't care in the long run. I'm just running on the assumption that most people ITT prefer America to be a democratically elected republic with civilian control over the military. There are legal ways to remove an unfit POTUS.

*shrugs* don’t know what to tell you dude. Not a coup. But hey if it makes you happy to be outraged? Go for it.

Should the military be able to unilaterally decide defense policy without the consent of the civilian government, and should the military not be subject to civilian control by the elected government, Y/N?
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Immortan Khan wrote:I actually don't care in the long run. I'm just running on the assumption that most people ITT prefer America to be a democratically elected republic with civilian control over the military. There are legal ways to remove an unfit POTUS.

If this happened in any other Western country, you'd be calling it a soft semi-coup. I get it, Americans still want to hold onto the belief that It Can't Happen Here but denial doesn't erase what is obvious to a lot of people, especially to non-Americans (like yours truly).
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:04 am

It's also worth noting that Milley didn't simply strengthen procedure, he flat out told the other officers to ignore any orders from above unless he signed off on them.
Speaking to senior military officials in charge of the National Military Command Center, the Pentagon's war room, Milley instructed them not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/politics/woodward-book-trump-nuclear/index.html
Last edited by Immortan Khan on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 am

Bombadil wrote:
Corrian wrote:Most of the vote left is in Newsom-friendly area...Not only is he going to not be recalled, he's going to not be recalled by a HUGE margin.

I know it’s California but will this make Republicans realise that Trumpist candidates are a sure fire means of losing elections because people are more motivated to vote against that shit rather than a minority who will, except that minority is a majority of Republican supporters.

As I understand it Newsom turned this around by going ‘this guy’s just like Trump’.

I don't think that the GOP possess that degree of self awareness. They will continue to double and triple down on Trumpism. If this causes them to lose elections, they will become enraged and slide into increasingly authoritarian patterns of thinking.
Last edited by Antipatros on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:07 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Should the military be able to unilaterally decide defense policy without the consent of the civilian government, and should the military not be subject to civilian control by the elected government, Y/N?

While an unhinged President is frantically trying to overturn an election, spreading baseless lies and whipping up support to incite an attack on the very Capitol itself, I think it’s ok for a military leader to ring his counterpart and say ‘chill, it looks bad but we’re not going to be launching nuclear attacks or anything’

That’s all he did, he didn’t disobey, he didn’t overthrow the president, he called someone and calmed a situation.

He said ‘democracy can be sloppy sometimes but it’s not going to turn into some flash war’.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 am

Bombadil wrote:

Like...At the moment the gap between the candidates is even LARGER than Newsom's election to governor in 2018? A Democratic midterm? How do you fuck it up THAT bad?
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 am

Immortan Khan wrote:It's also worth noting that Milley didn't simply strengthen procedure, he flat out told the other officers to ignore any orders from above unless he signed off on them.
Speaking to senior military officials in charge of the National Military Command Center, the Pentagon's war room, Milley instructed them not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.

Or.. or.. he meant ‘don’t do shit without giving us the opportunity to convince the president this is a monumental fucking mistake and he really really shouldn’t do it’.

十年

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:12 am

Bombadil wrote:he didn’t overthrow the president

If he no longer has de facto control over the military, especially its most destructive assets, and further has officials conducting private foreign relations that could undermine his own stance, then yes he was effectively overthrown even if the pageantry wasn't there. Which is the point of a soft coup, to quietly neutralize political power extrajudicially without the fanfare that comes with a standard coup.
Last edited by Immortan Khan on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

In my view, the President should not have the ability to unilaterally authorize a nuclear first strike.

Congress has gradually allowed the executive to claim more and more authority in the area of foreign policy and national security. They should reclaim some of that authority, because Presidents can evidently be quite emotionally/mentally unstable.
Last edited by Antipatros on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 am

Immortan Khan wrote:It's also worth noting that Milley didn't simply strengthen procedure, he flat out told the other officers to ignore any orders from above unless he signed off on them.

Merely "following orders" didn't fly in 1945, and it wouldn't fly in 2021. The military still has a responsibility to behave ethically, even if it means disobeying orders sent from above to attack. Milley is in the right. A man of his rank is not just a robot following every order barked by the president. He still has a moral duty to ensure those orders are just, and if necessary, disobey.
Last edited by Kanadorika on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:20 am

Kanadorika wrote:

Merely "following orders" didn't fly in 1945, and it wouldn't fly in 2021. The military still has a responsibility to behave ethically, even if it means disobeying orders sent from above to attack. Milley is in the right. A man of his rank is not just a robot following every order barked by the president. He still has a moral duty to ensure those orders are just, and if necessary, disobey.

Military officers are routinely punished for disobeying orders they believed to be unethical. The point of the military is for those above to command and those below to obey. The Nuremberg defense is indeed not a legal defense for war crimes, that doesn't change that disobeying orders is a felony.

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 am

Antipatros wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Should the military be able to unilaterally decide defense policy without the consent of the civilian government, and should the military not be subject to civilian control by the elected government, Y/N?

In my view, the President should not have the ability to unilaterally authorize a nuclear first strike.

Congress has gradually allowed the executive to claim more and more authority in the area of foreign policy and national security. They should reclaim some of that authority, because Presidents can evidently be quite emotionally/mentally unstable.

And I'll follow up by saying that the benefits of allowing the President to authorize nuclear first strikes are far outweighed by the risks.

Now, if someone else has launched a strike against us, that is a little different. The procedures in that case should be a little more permissive.

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:26 am

That's how it works tho. Orders to launch nukes pass from the President down through the Chief of Staff of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. That's just him reinforcing how it legally works, not usurping power.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:26 am

Of course a majority of people outraged by this manufactured issue were perfectly fine with violently overthrowing democratic elections a few months ago..

..he didn’t actually disobey orders anyway, it could be interpreted that he potentially might although one could just as easily interpret it as calming a situation and asking reports to keep him informed of a situation.

Amazing how quick the right leap on a military they profess to adore

十年

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:26 am

The copium from some in this thread is unreal. I know it's hard to accept that you're living in a borderline failed state at this point but that's just the reality of things nowadays. We're not the shining city on the hill that leads the world in almost every field anymore, we're the collapsing downtrodden slum where the masses are continuing to get poorer while our political institutions implode and collapse to the point of uselessness.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 am

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:

That's how it works tho. Orders to launch nukes pass from the President down through the Chief of Staff of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. That's just him reinforcing how it legally works, not usurping power.

Except they can't stop the order, only confirm that it came from the President.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Antipatros
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antipatros » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:The copium from some in this thread is unreal. I know it's hard to accept that you're living in a borderline failed state at this point but that's just the reality of things nowadays. We're not the shining city on the hill that leads the world in almost every field anymore, we're the collapsing downtrodden slum where the masses are continuing to get poorer while our political institutions implode and collapse to the point of uselessness.

I think about this a lot, and it makes me pretty sad. I don't see any good solutions, either.

Call me an irrational doomer if you wish.

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:34 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Kanadorika wrote:Merely "following orders" didn't fly in 1945, and it wouldn't fly in 2021. The military still has a responsibility to behave ethically, even if it means disobeying orders sent from above to attack. Milley is in the right. A man of his rank is not just a robot following every order barked by the president. He still has a moral duty to ensure those orders are just, and if necessary, disobey.

Military officers are routinely punished for disobeying orders they believed to be unethical. The point of the military is for those above to command and those below to obey. The Nuremberg defense is indeed not a legal defense for war crimes, that doesn't change that disobeying orders is a felony.

The point of the military isn't to mindlessly obey orders. It's to protect the constitution and people of the United States. There is a duty to follow through with this, even if it means disobeying an order from the president.

Otherwise the president could simply have the army march through congress and seize power and nobody from within could dare question it.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General