New Zealand shooting: man shot dead by police after ‘terrorist attack’ in Auckland that injured six
An attack at a New Zealand supermarket was “a terrorist attack” by a “violent extremist” who follows Islamic State ideology and who had been under heavy surveillance by police, prime minister Jacinda Ardern has said.
A man was shot dead on Friday afternoon by police after entering a West Auckland supermarket and stabbing at least six people, who are now in hospital.
The alleged terrorist was a Sri Lankan national who arrived in New Zealand in 2011 and became a person of national security interest from 2016, authorities said.
Ardern said his ideology was IS-inspired, but he was a “lone-wolf”.
“What happened today was despicable. It was hateful, it was wrong, it was carried out by an individual, not a faith, not a culture, not an ethnicity, but an individual person who was gripped by ideology that is not supported here by anyone or any community.
Ardern and police commissioner Andrew Coster said nothing gave the police any reason to believe there was any further threat or risk to the public.
“We have dealt with that person. We know from our extensive monitoring that he was acting alone,” Coster said.
[***]
Fatal police shootings are relatively rare in New Zealand – averaging at about 3.5 a year, according to a database of the decade from 2007 to 2017. Gun crime is uncommon in New Zealand, especially compared to other parts of the world. But it has been on the rise, despite the government’s clampdown on firearms in the wake of the 2019 Christchurch mosque attacks.
A man believed to have been inspired by the Islamic State's particular brand of fundamentalism went on a stabbing spree in an Auckland supermarket that injured six people before being shot dead by police. The man was previously known to law enforcement and was under surveillance, having been taken to court earlier. It seems possible that he may have been inspired by the recent return of the Islamic State to media prominence following their attacks in Afghanistan, with the international terrorist organisation seeking to take advantage of the chaos left behind by the hasty American withdrawal. If so, it is quite possible that we could see a resurgence in IS-inspired attacks around the world. While only the perpetrator is thus far the only fatality of this attack, it is quite possible that we won't be so lucky next time.
So NSG, what are your thoughts on this incident? Are we likely to see a resurgence in Islamic State inspired terror, or this just a one-off thing?








