NATION

PASSWORD

China bans gamers from making moral decisions, femboys, etc

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The ban on gamers and femboys

Cringe
55%
Based
19%
Cringe, based
15%
Based, cringed
8%
Other (explain)
2%

Total votes : 578

Goblinstad
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Goblinstad » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 pm

The Imperium man wrote:I don't mind China restricted sexual or romantic relationships if they are harmful. But restricted gaming? nooooo my precious tech stuff!

Gamers are under attack in the West and in the East
The only safe haven for our brethren is Japan apparently
Last edited by Goblinstad on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semi-RPing as a Goblin State

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:China is one of the inevitable results of a society that puts " the common good" above individual rights.

You mean "the common good" of a bunch of encrusted old capitalists calling themselves party bureaucrats?

Still thinking Xi tried to slap on some makeup like that gif guy and got called an uncle so he overreacted and banned femboys out of spite. If he can't be cute, no one can be cute. Seems like a very Xi thing to do. The guy basically invaded a city because he was worried about his daughter's Internet nudes making waves again after all. Banning gamers is probably because Mingze made an off hand comment about kids playing a Wintendo Suisse or whatever knockoff handhelds they sell in alley markets on the subway or something when they should be studying fashion.

Then again limiting video game time to the weekends is a genuinely good move though requires really complex age gating beyond "what year were you born".
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Gallia- wrote:Then again limiting video game time to the weekends is a genuinely good move though requires really complex age gating beyond "what year were you born".

I'll kill Nazis on MOWAS2 whenever I want thank you very much.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Gallia- wrote:Then again limiting video game time to the weekends is a genuinely good move though requires really complex age gating beyond "what year were you born".

I'll kill Nazis on MOWAS2 whenever I want thank you very much.

You're also not 15 years old and needing to do homework every weekend, so yeah.

The point of the law is to get children focused on actually important things like education and schooling, and interacting with the tangible, physical reality, instead of wasting time doing frivolous feel-good activities. It's akin to banning finance capitalism and focusing on getting people making houses or something instead, writ small. But the PRC is likely to do that in the future given that it wants to bring back Bretton-Woods and Keynesian economics.

The morality guidelines are just saying that players of games, and game designers, should be focused on killing Nazis, not asking whether or not the Nazis had a moral right to exist or being able to take the side of the Nazis.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I'll kill Nazis on MOWAS2 whenever I want thank you very much.

You're also not 15 years old and needing to do homework every weekend, so...

I'm not sure of the utility in planting your nose in algebra until your brain is a wasteland and it's 5 in the morning and you have "school" in 1 hours anyway.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I'll kill Nazis on MOWAS2 whenever I want thank you very much.

The point of the law is to get children focused on actually important things like education and schooling, and interacting with the tangible, physical reality, instead of wasting time doing frivolous feel-good activities. It's akin to banning finance capitalism and focusing on getting people making houses or something instead, writ small. But the PRC is likely to do that in the future given that it wants to bring back Bretton-Woods and Keynesian economics.

The morality guidelines are just saying that players of games, and game designers, should be focused on killing Nazis, not asking whether or not the Nazis had a moral right to exist or being able to take the side of the Nazis.

I mean its one thing when a parent tells you this. Its another when a government uses authoritarian surveillance to enforce their unquestioned will.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Gallia- wrote:
You're also not 15 years old and needing to do homework every weekend, so...

I'm not sure of the utility in planting your nose in algebra until your brain is a wasteland and it's 5 in the morning and you have "school" in 1 hours anyway.

IDK sounds like a structural issue.

Ideally you'd focus the majority of people on trades education like "fix computer", "build house", or "fix car", and maybe the upper 2 SDs and above on university prep. Most people can figure out how to use a hammer if shown how to do so and given ample time to practice making bird houses or chairs, which is really what schooling is about: teaching children to become adults. This would probably lead to conventional schooling being replaced with apprenticeships under guilds or something, but that's not a bad thing considering guilds are good for workers.

But that's neither here nor there.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Gallia- wrote:The morality guidelines are just saying that players of games, and game designers, should be focused on killing Nazis, not asking whether or not the Nazis had a moral right to exist or being able to take the side of the Nazis.

>Killing Nazis
>PRC
You mean killing Americans and Japanese and any other Untermensch right?
Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I'm not sure of the utility in planting your nose in algebra until your brain is a wasteland and it's 5 in the morning and you have "school" in 1 hours anyway.

IDK sounds like a structural issue.

Ideally you'd focus the majority of people on trades education like "fix computer", "build house", or "fix car", and maybe the upper 2 SDs and above on university prep. Most people can figure out how to use a hammer if shown how to do so and given ample time to practice making bird houses or chairs, which is really what schooling is about: teaching children to become adults. This would probably lead to conventional schooling being replaced with apprenticeships under guilds or something, but that's not a bad thing considering guilds are good for workers.

But that's neither here nor there.

Well good for you but the PRC model of "education" consists of planting your nose into Uni-grade algrebraic formulas from 5 am to 12 am or until your 12 year old brain is utterly mush.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

I mean its one thing when a parent tells you this. Its another when a government uses authoritarian surveillance to enforce their unquestioned will.

It's really not as schools takeover the majority of parenting in practice in all industrialized societies.

Gallia- wrote:The morality guidelines are just saying that players of games, and game designers, should be focused on killing Nazis, not asking whether or not the Nazis had a moral right to exist or being able to take the side of the Nazis.

>Killing Nazis
>PRC
You mean killing Americans and Japanese and any other Untermensch right?

I would expect nothing else from the PRC, considering it's the last Leninist state capitalist country in the world, but maybe include Uighyr terrorists who look like Chechens and fly Rafales.

Just like I would expect the USA to make video games about killing <brown Islamic people here>, Chinese, Japanese, Germans, the British, and Russians.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Well good for you but the PRC model of "education" consists of planting your nose into Uni-grade algrebraic formulas from 5 am to 12 am or until your 12 year old brain is utterly mush.

Yes there are obvious problems with the American-derived comprehensive education model.

Namely when done properly it's too hard for ordinary, above average, and dumb people and not hard enough for really really smart people. You need a three tier system like Germany where comprehensive/all-purpose education is used for the dumbest students, the very smartest get the best university prep, and the majority are trained to be mechanics or something. But more selective than Germany. Maybe you could further delineate from there like above average people being taught more complicated mechanical work and below average people being taught the most very basic tasks, but that probably gets too complicated for an already-complicated system focusing on cleaving out the upper and lower single digit percentiles into separate education tranches.

But that's neither here nor there. Getting kids focused on education and schooling is a real problem in all societies, irrespective of the actual form education takes, because it's very easy to be distracted by things.

Sure their eyes are glazing over at algebra because some people are just bad at math, but it's better to have your eyes glazing over and failing a test than to not try at all and still fail a test, because even learning you're bad at something is still learning something. Letting kids play video games all day and ignore their studying responsibilities just means that you can't tell if they're failing because they're getting distracted or if they're failing because they're actually not good at the subject.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:I mean its one thing when a parent tells you this. Its another when a government uses authoritarian surveillance to enforce their unquestioned will.

It's really not as schools takeover the majority of parenting in practice in all industrialized societies.

School atleast in the american sense. Doesn't teach you basic living or morals much at all. Parenting is still relevant, even if its taken a back seat. Usually to do well in education, you need a parent driving you through it. I just think its a bad take to want the government to interfere in the home environment, unless its absolutely necessary (i.e. abusive parents).
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

School atleast in the american sense. Doesn't teach you basic living or morals much at all.

My school required several finance courses through high school, taught me how to sew, and had plenty of moral education/indoctrination in the form of "social studies". What are you talking about? Schooling absolutely is a form of outsourced parenting, and since all industrialized societies copy this model it is probably due to how both parents are eventually forced to work in industrial societies because it becomes unsustainable for a family to live in anything approaching industrialized standards of living without that.

The alternative is raising children without schooling and putting them to work on a farm or something. That's still practiced, of course, but not in any society that produces things beyond cash crops like coffee or cocoa beans.

There's literally no difference between saying children can't drink alcohol and children can't play online video games except on the weekends. Obviously the CPC isn't sending cops to have tea with delinquents (whether it should is another question). The CPC also isn't stopping them from playing video games in general, as I'm sure they can still play Minesweeper or Solitaire on their computers. It's just online ones like Genshin Impact or World of Warcraft that are affected, because these require the player to enter identifying information that can be tied to their age.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Usually to do well in education, you need

A preexisting genetic disposition towards being intelligent, prudent, and thrifty?

If you come from a family that is wealthy, well-educated, and successful, odds are you will be this too. If you come from a family that is only one or two of these, you will likely be none of them. Americans hate hearing that being successful in education over a lifetime (i.e. secondary school and beyond) requires, to a very large extent, unchanging genetic factors and luck of the dice, because part of the American myth is that there is some sort of ability for people to change and alter their outcomes instead of being taken for a ride by their unspooling DNA strands.

The fact that primary school children can be educated broadly the same says more about mammalian sexual/neurological development and puberty than it does about the innate malleability of human beings or whatever. Wild how that sort of mindset sticks through to secondary education in America though. Tons of other places have figured out that secondary schooling needs to be adapted to post-puberty changes in neurological structure that produces gender/sex-related differences in very basic things like spatial-visual awareness, mathematics fluency, and language fluency that profoundly alter the "ideal" course of education for a post-pubescent young adult.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:I just think its a bad take to want the government to interfere in the home environment, unless its absolutely necessary (i.e. abusive parents).

What an American thing to say lol.

Meanwhile the government "interferes" with not only your daily life by telling you you can only deposit money with FDIC insured banks on the Federal level, requiring you to send your kids to school (instead of keeping them at home where they can do dishes or live in the basement), and (so I've heard, although my state does not do this cruel tyranny) even bans you from letting them drink alcohol when supervised in your own home!

Also state mandated child care that isn't just an orphanage is worse than an abusive biological parent. It's essentially shuffling kids between various forms of abusive parent. At least orphanages allow kids to stay around people their own age and are usually less manpower intensive in aggregate (although foster care is definitely cheaper since it puts all costs on the foster family, which is why it became so popular in America). It's also funny since American welfare/foster care is noticeably more puritanical/morally doctrinaire than other countries which generally only ask relatively simple questions like "can you pay for the child" and "are you a molester".

Then again the weird doublethink of "I hate the government but..." is pretty much part and parcel of American culture.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Imperium man
Secretary

Founded: Apr 18, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperium man » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:15 pm

Why communists still support PRC? They didn't realize they stuck in the contradictions? Principles are probably forgotten for god's sake. I guess they said " muh gaming ruining my children! " and their opinions should absolutely discarded when it comes to gaming.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:31 pm

The Imperium man wrote:Why communists still support PRC?

cos it does things like this

hanging corrupt officials who commit gross offences: kinda based ngl

in usa that guy would get a presidential medal and dinner at the white house or in europe he'd get 6 months in jail and run off to switzerland to manage 1000 billionaires' bank accounts

it's a small thing but in a cringe world you need to take the victories when you can

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Gallia- wrote:
The Imperium man wrote:Why communists still support PRC?

in usa that guy would get a presidential medal and dinner at the white house or in europe he'd get 6 months in jail and run off to switzerland to manage 1000 billionaires' bank accounts

it's a small thing but in a cringe world you need to take the victories when you can

Yeah, at least the government isn't committing genocide or anything.

Wait...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:School atleast in the american sense. Doesn't teach you basic living or morals much at all.

My school required several finance courses through high school, taught me how to sew, and had plenty of moral education/indoctrination in the form of "social studies". What are you talking about? Schooling absolutely is a form of outsourced parenting, and since all industrialized societies copy this model it is probably due to how both parents are eventually forced to work in industrial societies because it becomes unsustainable for a family to live in anything approaching industrialized standards of living without that.

I never found public education all that sufficient in the more living life aspect in the area I lived in, where I had found parenting all around better impact on my life. Note I do believe education to be important due to the more STEM related classes are necessary to get into more complicated jobs. Clearly you had a different experience.

The alternative is raising children without schooling and putting them to work on a farm or something. That's still practiced, of course, but not in any society that produces things beyond cash crops like coffee or cocoa beans.

Ok and? I never said education wasn't bad or their shouldn't be public education. You make it sound like you can't have both parenting and public education.

There's literally no difference between saying children can't drink alcohol and children can't play online video games except on the weekends. Obviously the CPC isn't sending cops to have tea with delinquents (whether it should is another question). The CPC also isn't stopping them from playing video games in general, as I'm sure they can still play Minesweeper or Solitaire on their computers. It's just online ones like Genshin Impact or World of Warcraft that are affected, because these require the player to enter identifying information that can be tied to their age.

At the moment yes, although the CCP noted that they acknowledge that kids can bypass it if they lie about their age or make a extra account and are looking to alternatives to get around it. One of these alternatives is using facial recognition to keep tabs on people who try and use multiple accounts. Something about that is inherently distasteful to me. As I don't like the idea of something watching me (which is why my pc doesn't have a camera).

Holy Tedalonia wrote:I just think its a bad take to want the government to interfere in the home environment, unless its absolutely necessary (i.e. abusive parents).

What an American thing to say lol.

Meanwhile the government "interferes" with not only your daily life by telling you you can only deposit money with FDIC insured banks on the Federal level, requiring you to send your kids to school (instead of keeping them at home where they can do dishes or live in the basement), and (so I've heard, although my state does not do this cruel tyranny) even bans you from letting them drink alcohol when supervised in your own home!

The first two hardly relate to the home environment. And the last one isn't really enforceable since the government doesn't have an easy means of finding out (thank goodness), unless someone who is paying a visit is being a snitch. I just don't get the idea that you want the government telling you what you can or cannot do in your home unless it endangers someone's life or prevents the government from being able to do its functions (i.e. taxes).

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 pm

New haven america wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Yeah, at least the government isn't committing genocide or anything.

Wait...

Yes, Xinjiang is the PRC's Confederacy or maybe Dagestan lol.

It would be as if the USA waged war on the KKK by locking them up in FEMA camps to be trained as less radical GOP or centrist partiers, because they blew up a bunch of gas stations and railroads with car bombs. And to expedite it it just took every trailer park south of Dixie. I don't think many on NSG would complain at that. Wild how it becomes a big deal when the WSJ rails about it though, considering the context of Xinjiang is not much different than Dagestan, except the terrorism came from within rather than a neighboring province invading with an army of separatist radicals led by a bigamous warlord strongman.

I guess when Xinjiang radicals blow up crowded streets of shoppers, stab dozens of police officers for opposing the oppression of women, and generally be a menace, it's okay though because they're bad Chinese people lmfao.

Either you're against people trying to militantly spread Islamism through terrorism or you're for it. I'm against it. The United States, ostensibly, is too. It fought the Taliban, ostensibly, for women's rights to not wear a burqa or be treated as property. The PRC is doing the same in Xinjiang, but for much longer, and has recently gotten fed up with a bunch of Taliban inspired bombing and knife attacks by the terrorists hiding in Xinjiang in their own family's homes. It's hard to do this a clean way like a mob bust when you're a 5' 7" Han Chinese cop trying to blend in with 6' 0" Turkish beard men of course, so they just rounded up tons of people and put them in camps where they work by making T-shirts or something, with the intent being that they catch a few potential suicide bombers or murderers in the big net. I'm not really complaining because a strike against militant sharia is a strike against it, and their families aren't exactly willing to give up the terrorists to the cops that they view as "foreign invaders" despite Xinjiang being Chinese soil for longer than the modern state of France has existed.

Of course Western aligned media would tell you the Uighurs are harmless little teddy bears, but in reality they're about as bad as the Taliban, the Kadyrovites, or <insert localist, anti-governmental, violent Salafist organization>.

The Hui people are basically Salafists, of course (I think most Muslims in China are Salafist/traditionalist who support burqas at the end of the day), but unlike the Uighurs, who view themselves as Turks, the Hui are Han Chinese, and don't really care who owns the province whether it's the Uighurs or the Beijing bureaucrats. The Uighurs want to be their own country (I think) like the Chechens, so they are mad that they aren't "free" from the PRC, despite the PRC allowing the Hui Salafists to practice their Islamic beliefs in much the same way that the Uighurs would ideally want to. Of course that's probably because the Hui aren't radical separatists who are car bombing shopping malls, killing schoolchildren, or stabbing cops and teachers and random subway goers. Lol.

So you can see that there is actually some nuance and the Xinjiang "concentration camps" and genocide are just ham-fisted police responses to an event about as violent and aggressive as the Northern Ireland Troubles. Of course unlike the Troubles the PRC isn't actively patrolling the Xinjiang province with paratroopers with machine guns ready to hose down crowds of angry protesters, they just shoot at random cars that are filled with ANFO or something. So they're still less bad than the British lol.

I'd say it's an overreaction but given the limitations of the Han police forces in Xinjiang there's little option besides casting an extremely wide net that gathers up everyone who looks vaguely Turkic and putting them in sweatshops. The money they bring in is essentially paying for their incarceration (partly) by production of shoes and T-shirts or whatever, they're not blowing up people, and even if it's a really low ratio like 1:10,000 or 1:100,000 of car bombers or something in the Xinjiang province then they probably got quite a few people.

If you're going to call Xinjiang a genocide you might as well call America's attempt at spreading Coca-Cola, homosexuality, and women's rights to Pashtuns in Helmand a genocide. They're quite literally the same exact thing, except the CPC is anti-homosexualism, but it's pro-women's rights and literacy. It's destroying a native culture and Islamist form of rule where women are considered second-class to men and replacing it with a sort of utilitarian egalitarianism where men are considered just as bad as women. Oh, and it doesn't kill as many people in pacifying Xinjiang as the United States carpet bombed in Afghanistan lol. Just like how America wiped out a slave owning culture, I'd think Westerners would be all over the PRC wiping out a burqa culture. Wild how the WSJ and greater American media outlets, a reputedly liberal institution, sides with Salafist car bombers in Xinjiang in one breath but then condemns the Taliban for forcing girls to not go to school and eliminating any chances at them having higher educations in the next. Compared to the alternative, concentration camps and reeducation centers, which are predominantly focused on implementing family planning (reducing birth rates, ostensibly a goal for Western countries), instilling secular values, and deconstructing Islamist-Salafist frameworks of anti-moderate thought are vastly preferable to the American solution of "carpet bombing" and "random machine gun killings" that occurred in Afghanistan, and in Saddam's Iraq.

Unless you do actually say that. Then carry on being consistent I suppose, and good job on practicing what you preach. That said, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter at the end of the day that it's actually a bad genocide, because some cultures and some beliefs are just not good, but are actively detrimental to human lives.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:At the moment yes, although the CCP noted that they acknowledge that kids can bypass it if they lie about their age or make a extra account and are looking to alternatives to get around it.

Then it's a non-issue and totally unenforceable.

The law reflects more an ideal than any reality that the CPC could hope to accomplish. It wants its people to be well educated, productive, and focused on particular aspects: namely improving their ability to produce things whether it's money, tangible goods (houses, boats, electronics), or new ideas for old things (new engines, stronger metal alloys, etc.). Why it isn't doping the water supply with Ritalin is beyond me but that seems like it would be more in line with what the ideal CPC worker would look like.

I guess banning video games is just something that's popular with old Chinese families of grandparents who complain about kids playing too many video games and back in my day etc...

But Xi is basically a grandpa or elderly uncle so this is totally consistent with that.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:One of these alternatives is using facial recognition to keep tabs on people who try and use multiple accounts.

Absolute pie-in-the-sky thinking for the NSA, let alone the PRC. There isn't enough data storage in the world to hold all that. Yet.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Something about that is inherently distasteful to me. As I don't like the idea of something watching me (which is why my pc doesn't have a camera).

Privacy doesn't exist in the Internet age. That's sort of a given.

You can't have people walking around with radios in their pockets that record their location, their name, and their image using cameras, and still expect to have privacy. Either find a way to hide yourself behind a pseudonym, like most people do, or just deal with it and stop caring. IDK what to say. Most people who can get a hold of your information will generally be able to do it without your knowledge anyway. It's how you get weird scam calls from Indian guys telling you to pay non-existent taxes with a bad script like pretty much every person has gotten at some point in their lives.

This is not an issue for people who grow up in such a system so that sort of mindset will at least down out. Future (and current!) generations, assuming the Internet doesn't just stop working in a few years, will likely be totally accustomed to having their faces plastered all over the Internet like old wallpaper.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Gallia- wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yeah, at least the government isn't committing genocide or anything.

Wait...

Yes, Xinjiang is the PRC's Confederacy or maybe Dagestan lol.

It would be as if the USA waged war on the KKK by locking them up in FEMA camps to be trained as less radical GOP or centrist partiers, because they blew up a bunch of gas stations and railroads with car bombs. And to expedite it it just took every trailer park south of Dixie. I don't think many on NSG would complain at that. Wild how it becomes a big deal when the WSJ rails about it though, considering the context of Xinjiang is not much different than Dagestan, except the terrorism came from within rather than a neighboring province invading with an army of separatist radicals led by a bigamous warlord strongman.

I guess when Xinjiang radicals blow up crowded streets of shoppers, stab dozens of police officers for opposing the oppression of women, and generally be a menace, it's okay though because they're bad Chinese people lmfao.

Either you're against people trying to militantly spread Islamism through terrorism or you're for it. I'm against it. The United States, ostensibly, is too. It fought the Taliban, ostensibly, for women's rights to not wear a burqa or be treated as property. The PRC is doing the same in Xinjiang, but for much longer, and has recently gotten fed up with a bunch of Taliban inspired bombing and knife attacks by the terrorists hiding in Xinjiang in their own family's homes. It's hard to do this a clean way like a mob bust when you're a 5' 7" Han Chinese cop trying to blend in with 6' 0" Turkish beard men of course, so they just rounded up tons of people and put them in camps where they work by making T-shirts or something, with the intent being that they catch a few potential suicide bombers or murderers in the big net. I'm not really complaining because a strike against militant sharia is a strike against it, and their families aren't exactly willing to give up the terrorists to the cops that they view as "foreign invaders" despite Xinjiang being Chinese soil for longer than the modern state of France has existed.

Of course Western aligned media would tell you the Uighurs are harmless little teddy bears, but in reality they're about as bad as the Taliban, the Kadyrovites, or <insert localist, anti-governmental, violent Salafist organization>.

The Hui people are basically Salafists, of course (I think most Muslims in China are Salafist/traditionalist who support burqas at the end of the day), but unlike the Uighurs, who view themselves as Turks, the Hui are Han Chinese, and don't really care who owns the province whether it's the Uighurs or the Beijing bureaucrats. The Uighurs want to be their own country (I think) like the Chechens, so they are mad that they aren't "free" from the PRC, despite the PRC allowing the Hui Salafists to practice their Islamic beliefs in much the same way that the Uighurs would ideally want to. Of course that's probably because the Hui aren't radical separatists who are car bombing shopping malls, killing schoolchildren, or stabbing cops and teachers and random subway goers. Lol.

So you can see that there is actually some nuance and the Xinjiang "concentration camps" and genocide are just ham-fisted police responses to an event about as violent and aggressive as the Northern Ireland Troubles. Of course unlike the Troubles the PRC isn't actively patrolling the Xinjiang province with paratroopers with machine guns ready to hose down crowds of angry protesters, they just shoot at random cars that are filled with ANFO or something. So they're still less bad than the British lol.

I'd say it's an overreaction but given the limitations of the Han police forces in Xinjiang there's little option besides casting an extremely wide net that gathers up everyone who looks vaguely Turkic and putting them in sweatshops. The money they bring in is essentially paying for their incarceration (partly) by production of shoes and T-shirts or whatever, they're not blowing up people, and even if it's a really low ratio like 1:10,000 or 1:100,000 of car bombers or something in the Xinjiang province then they probably got quite a few people.

If you're going to call Xinjiang a genocide you might as well call America's attempt at spreading Coca-Cola, homosexuality, and women's rights to Pashtuns in Helmand a genocide. They're quite literally the same exact thing, except the CPC is anti-homosexualism, but it's pro-women's rights and literacy. It's destroying a native culture and Islamist form of rule where women are considered second-class to men and replacing it with a sort of utilitarian egalitarianism where men are considered just as bad as women. Oh, and it doesn't kill as many people in pacifying Xinjiang as the United States carpet bombed in Afghanistan lol. Just like how America wiped out a slave owning culture, I'd think Westerners would be all over the PRC wiping out a burqa culture. Wild how the WSJ and greater American media outlets, a reputedly liberal institution, sides with Salafist car bombers in Xinjiang in one breath but then condemns the Taliban for forcing girls to not go to school and eliminating any chances at them having higher educations in the next. Compared to the alternative, concentration camps and reeducation centers, which are predominantly focused on implementing family planning (reducing birth rates, ostensibly a goal for Western countries), instilling secular values, and deconstructing Islamist-Salafist frameworks of anti-moderate thought are vastly preferable to the American solution of "carpet bombing" and "random machine gun killings" that occurred in Afghanistan, and in Saddam's Iraq.

Unless you do actually say that. Then carry on being consistent I suppose, and good job on practicing what you preach. That said, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter at the end of the day that it's actually a bad genocide, because some cultures and some beliefs are just not good, but are actively detrimental to human lives.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:At the moment yes, although the CCP noted that they acknowledge that kids can bypass it if they lie about their age or make a extra account and are looking to alternatives to get around it.

Then it's a non-issue and totally unenforceable.

The law reflects more an ideal than any reality that the CPC could hope to accomplish. It wants its people to be well educated, productive, and focused on particular aspects: namely improving their ability to produce things whether it's money, tangible goods (houses, boats, electronics), or new ideas for old things (new engines, stronger metal alloys, etc.). Why it isn't doping the water supply with Ritalin is beyond me but that seems like it would be more in line with what the ideal CPC worker would look like.

I guess banning video games is just something that's popular with old Chinese families of grandparents who complain about kids playing too many video games and back in my day etc...

But Xi is basically a grandpa or elderly uncle so this is totally consistent with that.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:One of these alternatives is using facial recognition to keep tabs on people who try and use multiple accounts.

Absolute pie-in-the-sky thinking for the NSA, let alone the PRC. There isn't enough data storage in the world to hold all that. Yet.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Something about that is inherently distasteful to me. As I don't like the idea of something watching me (which is why my pc doesn't have a camera).

Privacy doesn't exist in the Internet age. That's sort of a given.

You can't have people walking around with radios in their pockets that record their location, their name, and their image using cameras, and still expect to have privacy. Either find a way to hide yourself behind a pseudonym, like most people do, or just deal with it and stop caring. IDK what to say. Most people who can get a hold of your information will generally be able to do it without your knowledge anyway. It's how you get weird scam calls from Indian guys telling you to pay non-existent taxes with a bad script like pretty much every person has gotten at some point in their lives.

This is not an issue for people who grow up in such a system so that sort of mindset will at least down out. Future (and current!) generations, assuming the Internet doesn't just stop working in a few years, will likely be totally accustomed to having their faces plastered all over the Internet like old wallpaper.

Genocide denial's never a good look.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Where did I deny it? I distinct recall writing, more or less, "cultural genocide is the only option available to stop Uighurs short of killing them all with carpet bombing," "the USA tried the 'kill 'em all' strategy in Afghanistan in its genocide campaign and failed," and "the PRC would prefer to preserve the people and population but lose the radical Islamic cultural attachments associated with them".

It's genocide of a radical Salafist separatist movement that has more in common with the Taliban than Kuwait. The people themselves are essentially being taught three things in the Xinjiang camps:

1) How to make T-shirts in sweatshops.
2) Car bombing bad.
3) Women reading good.

By suggesting that the Uighurs somehow deserve to be a nation, you are implicitly stating one, possibly both, of the following:

1) I have no idea about the subject and like what people who write articles tell me are bad.
2) I support the Taliban and their policies towards women over egalitarian literacy.

It's an either-or situation. Either you are supportive of the Uighur's attempts to make a country that will, in all likelihood, resemble the Taliban's Afghanistan, or you are supportive of the PRC's efforts to educate women in writing so they can be put to work as much as the men are. The alternative is blind ignorance of the situation lmao, and either you're flaunting that you are so unabashedly ignorant of Xinjiang that you simultaneously hold the conflicting viewpoints of "Taliban bad" and "Uighurs good" in your head, or you are so lacking in curiosity and critical thinking that you don't even bother reading the most basic history of the situation before latching onto a viewpoint.

Or you're not any of that, and you support the PRC's efforts to break up Salafist terrorist communities like ETIM.

Naturally I think there are problems with Xinjiang's governance, namely the PRC is ignoring the Hui community's outright rejection of women as autonomous agents (it allows them to operate as segregated communities), but the entire point of the Xinjiang camps is it's a rough police action to stop massive suicide attacks and car bombings that killed hundreds of people in the 2010's. It's a reaction to a very recent turn of history (since the '80's, with the founding of groups like ETIM, the resurgence of the Muslim Brotherhood, founding of Al-Qaeda, etc. and the rise of nationalist and international Islamic jihadism) that will likely escalate further if it stops, but if it's successful it will stop the terror attacks. If it's not then it's less harm than shooting them all and the cops can go back to shooting at random cars that don't stop at traffic checkpoints or something. It works in Los Angeles after all.

But I guess car bombings are okay when it's Chinese people being bombed? Or are Uighurs okay because they're fighting the Chinese? Does that mean the Taliban will be okay if they fight the Chinese? Or how about when Xinjiang Uighurs commit genocide and forced ethnic cleansing of the Han people from their now-freed and independent Islamic Republic of Lesser Xinjiang? They are a separatist group after all, they want their own country. They can't have their own country if there are non-Muslim Han in their country, so they will need to remove them. Since the Uighurs, like the Hui, are Salafist, they will absolutely reject all calls by women to be educated or incorporated into the political sphere. In this way, they are not much different from the Taliban, except the Taliban are probably more liberal and accepting of women's rights than the Uighurs would be. They got bombed for 20 years by the United States so they learned a bit.

Of course a conversation with a Dongxiang Muslim women of the Hui sounds very similar to a conversation with an elderly grandmother of the Helmand Pashtuns, and the same mindset of Salafism i.e. highly traditionalist Islamism, is present in Uighur as in Hui communities. Hui take it farther but the Uighurs might as well be the Taliban in 1998, or slightly worse, if you are supportive of women's rights and such. You might think of it as a spectrum, at least in terms of all those Central Asian Muslims in that small region of space which marks the Turkic Muslim areas of Afghanistan/Xinjiang/parts of Gansu, with the Uighurs being the most strict of them all amongst the Taliban, Hui, and Uighur groups. The Hui allow women to be educated and while they operate as a segregated society, they really just mean that education and prayer is single-gender rather than co-educational. The Taliban allow women into collective prayer, and the Uighurs just don't, because lol women I guess.

So what's the thought process there? Or am I assuming too much that you have a nuanced viewpoint that you can back up with multiple lines of text? I suspect I am.

The tl;dr for you is Xinjiang is a genocide in the same style as the American invasion of Afghanistan, and Russian police actions in Chechnya and Dagestan, or perhaps more distantly, the greater genocide of Christendom in Europe which occurred in the 19th and 20th centuries and its subsequent replacement by secular humanism. It's a genocide in the cultural-religious aspect, rather than the physical human aspect, which is a somewhat pedantic, but important, difference. After all, Uighurs are not being thrown into gas chambers or shot en masse by the millions. Not because the CPC is nice but because they can make more money off the living Uighurs. So they're being put into Victorian Poor Houses and working away the costs of their state training in "operating a sewing machine" by making shoes for Nike.

Whether it will succeed in turning the Uighurs from a group of radical, separatist Salafists on par with the Taliban or Kadyrovites, into relatively more law-abiding, moderate Muslims like Malaysians, or even secular, atheist Turks, is yet to be seen. Whether it's a bad thing depends on whether you support radical Salafism or secular humanism. The former see it as bad because it means they might lose after winning in Afghanistan. The latter see it as good because it's a nice consolation prize for losing in Afghanistan. Know-nothings see it as bad because a media complex which prefers to rail against China as a Big Enemy, and blithely seeks to equate Rwanda with Xinjiang in a rather disingenuous comparison when it's far more like the United States in Helmand, and fail to grasp that the PRC is fighting an enemy just as bad as the Taliban but it's actually winning.

It says more about Americans than the Chinese when the USA can't understand how the Chinese are beating Islamists without killing enough of them that they can use their bodies as sandbags. Clearly they must be hiding the killings and not simply have found an actually effective way to deprogram people from radical terrorism (the answer is called "prison") or whatever. America, so morally upstanding, can't help but carpet bomb entire villages over a disagreement of how much money a railroad should be paid (and whether that money should come from the railroad operators or the public levy/taxation), but the PRC, so evil and pernicious, can figure out that by arresting people who abet terrorists can stop terrorism without needing to shoot whole families or annihilate an entire group of people.

I guess explaining what Xinjiang really is (i.e. the PAP squashing a dug-in Islamist/Salafist separatist terror group) equates to "genocidal denial", in the same sense that lies are "alternative facts".
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:34 pm

This stuff worries me from time to time because I really want to be on the right side of all these laws when they get applied to the SAR. Do you think I’ll be okay?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 pm

People on NSG actually engage substantially in cryptocurrency exchanges, game development, and/or are highly wealthied femboy streamers? Powerful, I assumed everyone who posted on it was a NEET.

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:This stuff worries me from time to time because I really want to be on the right side of all these laws when they get applied to the SAR. Do you think I’ll be okay?

You worry far too much about ingratiating yourself to a government that doesn't like you and wants you gone.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:This stuff worries me from time to time because I really want to be on the right side of all these laws when they get applied to the SAR. Do you think I’ll be okay?

Your worries are unfounded because unless you commit a felony level offense they'll just deport you, seeing as how you don't and can't hold Chinese citizenship.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Kiwi Farms
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiwi Farms » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 pm

Gallia- wrote:Then again limiting video game time to the weekends is a genuinely good move

No.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:27 pm

New haven america wrote:

Your worries are unfounded because unless you commit a felony level offense they'll just deport you, seeing as how you don't and can't hold Chinese citizenship.

Thanks for the heads up.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:

You worry far too much about ingratiating yourself to a government that doesn't like you and wants you gone.

I just want to be on the right side of the law. Some of these laws aren’t exactly very clear.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General