NATION

PASSWORD

Would Dinosaurs Got Smart?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:40 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Xerographica wrote:I don't think that you quite appreciate the context. We're not talking about a trip to the neighborhood park. We're talking about survival. Like you're going to spend a year on a deserted island.

Imagine 100 members of this forum each gonna spend one year on their own deserted island. Each island is exactly the same. Each participant can take whatever fits in typical pockets. Naturally we'd see a continuum of carrying decisions that range from dumbest to smartest. The participants who made the smarter carrying decisions would be better off than the participants who made the dumber carrying decisions.

Let's tweak the scenario so that each participant can also take whatever fits in a typical backpack. What difference is this tweak gonna make? Well, there's gonna be an even bigger disparity in the results. The smarter participants are going to be a lot better off than the dumber participants.

As our ancestors were able to carry more and more, an increasingly greater advantage was given to the smartest ones, and they were able to exert more and more influence on the gene pool.

Just for reference, what you take with you is a complete rounding error, here. The single most useful thing that you can take is what fits inside your brain. Some random fucking idiot with a perfectly-packed backpack will die a whole lot quicker than an expert with literally nothing.

And just to elaborate on that point: Homo Erectus basically dominated its environment. They spread all throughout the Old World, to many different climates and conditions, and flourished everywhere.

All of the elaborations on Humanity since Homo Erectus have not been about man overcoming nature, that was already done. It was about humanity competing against itself. And not in such a mundane way as "who can carry the most."

A well packed backpack doesn't get the girls, the guy who obsessed over that did not pass on his genes.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm

Heloin wrote:
Xerographica wrote:X = Bob has a pocket of real gold while Fred has a pocket of fool's gold.
Y = Bob has a cart of real gold while Fred has a cart of fool's gold.

With X, Bob is better off than Fred. With Y, Bob is way more better off than Fred.

With X, Bob is going to have one wife while Fred is going to have 0 wives. With Y, Bob is going to have 10 wives while Fred is still going to have 0 wives.

Increased carrying capacity means that Bob is going to have that much more influence on the gene pool than Fred.

What does this have to do with Dinosaurs?

Tyrannosaurus can carry both Bob and Fred, and all of their equipment, in its stomach. Showing its superiority in this contest.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:46 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:
Heloin wrote:What does this have to do with Dinosaurs?

Were you expecting this thread to go somewhere other than flawed economic theories?

No but I had some misplaced hope.

Galloism wrote:

I'll be the first to say that if there was a dinosaur named Bob 65 million years ago that was pulling around a cartful of gold, he was likely acting in a manner that was maladaptive to his environment.

Personally if Bob the Stegosaurus is pushing around a cartful of gold then several orders of magnitude in mental and societal change have occurred in dinosaurs that are far more interesting to look at.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Tyrannosaurus can carry both Bob and Fred, and all of their equipment, in its stomach. Showing its superiority in this contest.

I bow to the wisdom of those who rode on the backs of T-Rexs.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Heloin wrote:
Xerographica wrote:X = Bob has a pocket of real gold while Fred has a pocket of fool's gold.
Y = Bob has a cart of real gold while Fred has a cart of fool's gold.

With X, Bob is better off than Fred. With Y, Bob is way more better off than Fred.

With X, Bob is going to have one wife while Fred is going to have 0 wives. With Y, Bob is going to have 10 wives while Fred is still going to have 0 wives.

Increased carrying capacity means that Bob is going to have that much more influence on the gene pool than Fred.

What does this have to do with Dinosaurs?

I will vote 25 dollars for bigger brains for them
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 pm

A great deal of evolution is pure dumb luck, much as capitalism is, the odds of your success are way more down to luck than they are of smart decisions.

Maybe one person who goes to your hypothetical island takes a solar powered hairdryer cos they want their hair to be pretty, what a dumb decision, turns out blowing hot air is the most effective means of keeping the carnivorous beast that happens to be on the island away from you.

But the truth is the one most likely to survive is the one whose parents can afford to fly out supplies on request with their private plane.
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Bombadil wrote:A great deal of evolution is pure dumb luck, much as capitalism is, the odds of your success are way more down to luck than they are of smart decisions.

Maybe one person who goes to your hypothetical island takes a solar powered hairdryer cos they want their hair to be pretty, what a dumb decision, turns out blowing hot air is the most effective means of keeping the carnivorous beast that happens to be on the island away from you.

But the truth is the one most likely to survive is the one whose parents can afford to fly out supplies on request with their private plane.

Just because I think it is an interesting fact: there is a point in the Eocene where, almost out of the blue, we see an increase in average brain size across multiple taxa of land vertebrates. Many of which are unrelated to each other. Such as rodents and birds. The vague consensus is that this has something to do with the emergence of the order carnivora. Which were smarter predators then the carnivorous ungulates that preceded them, and created a selective pressure for smarter prey.

If this is true (which I want to stress is not firmly established) then it's possible that higher primates owe their great intelligence to creatures like lions, and tigers, and bears.

Oh my.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Crows are quite smart.

"But crows are birds!"

Yeah, and birds are dinosaurs
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Ayytaly wrote:Crows are quite smart.

"But crows are birds!"

I mean, pretty distantly related from any recognizable dinosaurs.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:39 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

"But crows are birds!"

More closely related to Tyrannosaurus then Tyrannosaurus is to a Stegosaur.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:

Were you expecting this thread to go somewhere other than flawed economic theories?

I mean, Xero doesn't hide what he's talking about. Though, this thread wasn't as obvious as usual, his signature still says:

Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

which I'm pretty sure is a reference to

When all you and everyone we knew
Could believe, do, and share in what was true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TNLU-ydLA

Neanderthaland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:A great deal of evolution is pure dumb luck, much as capitalism is, the odds of your success are way more down to luck than they are of smart decisions.

Just because I think it is an interesting fact: there is a point in the Eocene where, almost out of the blue, we see an increase in average brain size across multiple taxa of land vertebrates. Many of which are unrelated to each other. Such as rodents and birds. The vague consensus is that this has something to do with the emergence of the order carnivora. Which were smarter predators then the carnivorous ungulates that preceded them, and created a selective pressure for smarter prey.

If this is true (which I want to stress is not firmly established) then it's possible that higher primates owe their great intelligence to creatures like lions, and tigers, and bears.

Oh my.

But why were carnivora smarter?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

"But crows are birds!"

No, I am not saying the T-Rex had wings. That would be nightmarish :P
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02 am

Forsher wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:Were you expecting this thread to go somewhere other than flawed economic theories?

I mean, Xero doesn't hide what he's talking about. Though, this thread wasn't as obvious as usual, his signature still says:

Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

which I'm pretty sure is a reference to

When all you and everyone we knew
Could believe, do, and share in what was true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TNLU-ydLA

Neanderthaland wrote:Just because I think it is an interesting fact: there is a point in the Eocene where, almost out of the blue, we see an increase in average brain size across multiple taxa of land vertebrates. Many of which are unrelated to each other. Such as rodents and birds. The vague consensus is that this has something to do with the emergence of the order carnivora. Which were smarter predators then the carnivorous ungulates that preceded them, and created a selective pressure for smarter prey.

Oh my.

But why were carnivora smarter?

They didn’t necessarily have to be smarter, just faster and more tooth and claw-y so, unable to compete on that front, those prey that were smarter survived.

Or they could carry more bags, the science isn’t out on this.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Eighth Eurasia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Eighth Eurasia » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 am

My nation does not represent my real life views.

82nd Century Authoritarian Supernation spanning all of Eurasia. Population of 30 Billion Inhabitants.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:50 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Pfft, you are still mad about Thag.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Tremulo
Attaché

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Tremulo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:58 pm

Ayyy! Another CM Kosemen fan! Have you seen his YouTube channel?
Here's the link for it: https://www.youtube.com/user/cmkosemen
Indiana 2, Island Boogaloo
Firefly News: Otter population in New Patoka Lake up 25% from last year according to census, President Johnson to judge venison cooking festival, Progressive Party conflicted about Green Party in latest meeting, Collectivist Action Party's leader to face life in prison for orchestration of riots in Wabash

Usually vibing on F7. Literally just an average dude, nothing special.
Mainly focusing on expanding trivia and culture factbooks, attempting an emphasis on humor.
This nation represents my views for the most part, with a few differences. I don't think there's any unironic anti-centrists, lol.
NS stats and policies have been shot out of the canonicity cannon.
Also, Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes is very pogchamp.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:15 pm

Forsher wrote:But why were carnivora smarter?

There are a few different ideas.

Some people think it's because they weren't very good predators, and so had to rely on smarts to actually bring down game. While I'm not entirely sold on this, I think there may be something to it. Modern mammals tend to hunt smart, and you'll see lions do things like hold the nostrils of a cape buffalo shut to suffocate it when they realize that it's neck is too thick to throttle. which is pretty clever really.

Other people think it might have to do with their ancestors hunting venomous snakes, which requires brainpower. Or it might be an artifact of they way their bodies develop: As they grew larger, there was no way biologically for them to reduce the size of the brain cavity relative to body size, so their brains got bigger. I don't like these as much. Especially the second one, because -while it's a good idea- there's no evidence for it.

The one that I'm most sold on is that... well you'll notice carnivora tend to be highly social animals? And they also tend to hunt cooperatively. It's important to keep track of what the guy next to you is doing. That requires brainpower. They got smart because they started playing team sports.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:27 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Oh my.

I personally like the version of the theory that suggests it was driven by ecological release from the extinction of the dinosaurs. The theory is based on the observation that there were comparatively few mesopredators observed during the Mesozoic, of the size of most of the large predator mammals today. The record suggests that unlike in modern ecological communities the mesopredator role was instead taken up by juvenile 'macropredators' - the large theropod dinosaurs of popular imagination - as a consequence of their developmental style, where very large predators start out life as tiny hatchlings and need to grow to massive adult size over the course of several years. These juveniles made up a large chunk of the population of those nominally 'macropredator' species, and prevented the expansion of other organisms into those mesopredator niches. Once the dinosaurs went extinct though those mesopredator niches became empty, and a wide variety of carnivorans stepped into the void, adapting to fill multiple roles in a quantitatively more complex and competitive set of predatory niches, allowing for the development of greater brain size and social complexity as a strategy among certain of them.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:40 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Just because I think it is an interesting fact: there is a point in the Eocene where, almost out of the blue, we see an increase in average brain size across multiple taxa of land vertebrates. Many of which are unrelated to each other. Such as rodents and birds. The vague consensus is that this has something to do with the emergence of the order carnivora. Which were smarter predators then the carnivorous ungulates that preceded them, and created a selective pressure for smarter prey.

Oh my.

I personally like the version of the theory that suggests it was driven by ecological release from the extinction of the dinosaurs. The theory is based on the observation that there were comparatively few mesopredators observed during the Mesozoic, of the size of most of the large predator mammals today. The record suggests that unlike in modern ecological communities the mesopredator role was instead taken up by juvenile 'macropredators' - the large theropod dinosaurs of popular imagination - as a consequence of their developmental style, where very large predators start out life as tiny hatchlings and need to grow to massive adult size over the course of several years. These juveniles made up a large chunk of the population of those nominally 'macropredator' species, and prevented the expansion of other organisms into those mesopredator niches. Once the dinosaurs went extinct though those mesopredator niches became empty, and a wide variety of carnivorans stepped into the void, adapting to fill multiple roles in a quantitatively more complex and competitive set of predatory niches, allowing for the development of greater brain size and social complexity as a strategy among certain of them.

To be clear: this increase in brain size did not happen after the dinosaurs went extinct.

For millions of years after the dinosaurs died out, the dominant predators were mammalian mesonychids and predatory birds. Neither of which were particularly intelligent.

EDIT: oh, and creodonts. Can't forget the creodonts.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:43 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Forsher wrote:But why were carnivora smarter?

There are a few different ideas.

Some people think it's because they weren't very good predators, and so had to rely on smarts to actually bring down game. While I'm not entirely sold on this, I think there may be something to it. Modern mammals tend to hunt smart, and you'll see lions do things like hold the nostrils of a cape buffalo shut to suffocate it when they realize that it's neck is too thick to throttle. which is pretty clever really.

Other people think it might have to do with their ancestors hunting venomous snakes, which requires brainpower. Or it might be an artifact of they way their bodies develop: As they grew larger, there was no way biologically for them to reduce the size of the brain cavity, so it got bigger. I don't like these as much. Especially the second one, because -while it's a good idea- there's no evidence for it.

The one that I'm most sold on is that... well you'll notice carnivora tend to be highly social animals? And they also tend to hunt cooperatively. It's important to keep track of what the guy next to you is doing. That requires brainpower. They got smart because they started playing team sports.

The evolutionary advantage of friendship.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:There are a few different ideas.

Other people think it might have to do with their ancestors hunting venomous snakes, which requires brainpower. Or it might be an artifact of they way their bodies develop: As they grew larger, there was no way biologically for them to reduce the size of the brain cavity, so it got bigger. I don't like these as much. Especially the second one, because -while it's a good idea- there's no evidence for it.

Maybe the real evolutionary breakthrough was the friends we made along the way?

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:50 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:

To be clear: this increase in brain size did not happen after the dinosaurs went extinct.

For millions of years after the dinosaurs died out, the dominant predators were mammalian mesonychids and predatory birds. Neither of which were particularly intelligent.

EDIT: oh, and creodonts. Can't forget the creodonts.

Which is still a depauperate predatory community compared to later periods and was likely inefficiently filled. Hence the suggestion that initial community composition after the extinction was unstable, and the initial guild of macropredators in the Paleocene declined due to niche expansion from 'below' - ie the smaller carnivorans, which were able to expand upwards in a way that they weren't able to in the Mesozoic with a mature macropredatory assemblage that occupied both the macro-and-mesopredator niches across life stages.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:04 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:There are a few different ideas.

Well lemme tell ya, what do you call a *real* survivalist? Someone with three friends and the address of a mormon.
Violence is an intimately social thing.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:43 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

That's still a pretty wide berth.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ifreann wrote:The evolutionary advantage of friendship.

Maybe the real evolutionary breakthrough was the friends we made along the way?

So, skip college, make friends = smart?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General