NATION

PASSWORD

Blue Origin - would you go?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you go on a rocket for a sub-oribtal flight?

Yes - I was born ready!
40%
Maybe - I feel like I would need some testing/training to see if my body can cope with the G forces...
32%
No - Bad enough fear of flying as it is...
27%

Total votes : 62

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Heloin wrote:
The Hazar Amisnery wrote:if the spacecraft was like a modern plane with seats and toilets and food, I would go. But if it was some rocket and I have to be strapped in and wear a jumpsuit, no.

I mean, Bezos flight was ten minutes.

Also, how would this work with airports? I wouldn't want to live near an airport with planes hurtling through the atmosphere and hearing a sonic boom every few minutes.

Ask anyone who lives near a airforce or navy base.

Bezos went up and down. I'm talking about like Sydney to London.
The current space shuttle uses some airforce base in the desert. A spacecraft is different to a fighter jet.
News:
Nationwide cyberattack devastates core government infrastructure, but we will prevail.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 pm

Heloin wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
The roadster was to launch David Bowie into space to go negotiate peace treaties with aliens, that's the real truth.

They haven't invaded yet so one can only assume that negotiations are going well.

The original plan was two random dudes from California forming a band called Wyld Stallyns to create music that would bring peace but they turned out to be fucking morons so we had to turn to David Bowie instead.

And of course it's working, the Guardians of the Galaxy play Moonage Spacedream all the time..
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:51 pm

Heloin wrote:
The Hazar Amisnery wrote:if the spacecraft was like a modern plane with seats and toilets and food, I would go. But if it was some rocket and I have to be strapped in and wear a jumpsuit, no.

I mean, Bezos flight was ten minutes.

Also, how would this work with airports? I wouldn't want to live near an airport with planes hurtling through the atmosphere and hearing a sonic boom every few minutes.

I lived near three including a Strategic Air Command base (whatever that meant, but it was everywhere) as well as an Aerojet test facility.

Couldn't tell you, though, because it didn't really happen that much. I can't really remember it ever happening, though I did see an SR-71 go from mossy to get the fuck out really quick once. I'm not sure they can mossy, but it looked like it was mossying. Mostly it was B-52s and the AWACS jets.

Spent a week in China Basin and saw a lot of fighter jets, including one that kept doing passes over my Bus. I thought they were trying to get a look but they were probably using the road to practice something, I don't know that they get to alter their flight pattern to check out a VW on the ground. Even there I didn't hear any booms that I can remember.

Probably because it's illegal to break the sound barrier over the land in the US, has been since 1973. Though a craft broke the sound barrier over LA last week. It made the news, though. Probably doesn't apply to military, but as someone who grew up near three air force bases and now isn't that far as far as jets are concerned from Edwards Air Force Base I couldn't tell you what it's like to have a lot of sonic booms, but apparently one makes us all think that there's been an earthquake.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:
Heloin wrote:I mean, Bezos flight was ten minutes.

Bezos went up and down. I'm talking about like Sydney to London.

Don't worry about that part of the scenario, it's not feasible, optimal, or even vaguely a sensible idea.

The current space shuttle uses some airforce base in the desert.

Well there is no current space shuttle so none of them land in any desert. I guess you're referring to the X-37 which couldn't carry people if you wanted it to.

A spacecraft is different to a fighter jet.

I'm unsure you understand the physics of breaking the sound barrier.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Depends on the cost / how novel it still is / how many people I can expect to fly with. If it's like a plane that goes to space for Southwest Airlines style fares, sure, I'd try it just once to check it out. But that seems far-fetched for my lifetime. For now private space travel will long be a niche for the ultra-wealthy.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know why this bothers me and I'm loath to come to the 'defense' of these cats, but the Roadster was because it was a test flight for a cargo ship, so he had to put cargo in it that wouldn't matter if it exploded and nothing matters less than Musk's personal Roadster. Yes, using the roadster brought attention to the test but the whole flight wasn't just him going 'you know what I'm gonna do today? Launch my car into space, that'll show people how stupid rich I am!" He was testing the cargo carrying and deployment of his capsule and used his roadster to accomplish that.

The roadster was to launch David Bowie into space to go negotiate peace treaties with aliens, that's the real truth.

This is eerily close to a short story a friend of mine wrote...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I just wish rich people would stop ruining space tbh.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Heloin wrote:I mean, Bezos flight was ten minutes.

I lived near three including a Strategic Air Command base (whatever that meant, but it was everywhere) as well as an Aerojet test facility.

You lived near a bunch of B-52's stocked and ready to commence the nuclear holocaust.

Couldn't tell you, though, because it didn't really happen that much. I can't really remember it ever happening, though I did see an SR-71 go from mossy to get the fuck out really quick once. I'm not sure they can mossy, but it looked like it was mossying. Mostly it was B-52s and the AWACS jets.

Spent a week in China Basin and saw a lot of fighter jets, including one that kept doing passes over my Bus. I thought they were trying to get a look but they were probably using the road to practice something, I don't know that they get to alter their flight pattern to check out a VW on the ground. Even there I didn't hear any booms that I can remember.

I live between Mayport Naval Station and NAS Jax. It's not that common of an occurrence but I've heard a few over the last few years. They can do that over the sea though. But yeah not a common occurrence, though that doesn't really concerne spaceflight as much as one would think since they generally break the sound barrier quiet high up in both the case of launching and reentry.

Probably because it's illegal to break the sound barrier over the land in the US, has been since 1973. Though a craft broke the sound barrier over LA last week. It made the news, though. Probably doesn't apply to military, but as someone who grew up near three air force bases and now isn't that far as far as jets are concerned from Edwards Air Force Base I couldn't tell you what it's like to have a lot of sonic booms, but apparently one makes us all think that there's been an earthquake.

2nd Battle of Los Angeles.
Last edited by Heloin on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Heloin wrote:I'm unsure you understand the physics of breaking the sound barrier.

Unrelated but related, apparently working on a design that gets rid of the boom.

Tigra and Bunny won't be happy. They like the boom.

Is that reference more or less obscure than my Harriman reference? Only time will tell.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Heloin wrote:I'm unsure you understand the physics of breaking the sound barrier.

Unrelated but related, apparently working on a design that gets rid of the boom.

Is that reference more or less obscure than my Harriman reference? Only time will tell.

Huh, cool. I didn't know this.

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Heloin wrote:
The Hazar Amisnery wrote:Bezos went up and down. I'm talking about like Sydney to London.

Don't worry about that part of the scenario, it's not feasible, optimal, or even vaguely a sensible idea.

The current space shuttle uses some airforce base in the desert.

Well there is no current space shuttle so none of them land in any desert. I guess you're referring to the X-37 which couldn't carry people if you wanted it to.

A spacecraft is different to a fighter jet.

How do the astronauts get to ISS?
I don't know the physics of breaking the sound barrier. I meant landing and stuff like that. The shuttle needs a long runway to land and that's why it lands at those big runways in the desert.
News:
Nationwide cyberattack devastates core government infrastructure, but we will prevail.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Heloin wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I lived near three including a Strategic Air Command base (whatever that meant, but it was everywhere) as well as an Aerojet test facility.

You lived near a bunch of B-52's stocked and ready to commence the nuclear holocaust.

Well, there were a lot of B-52s, so that checks out.
Heloin wrote:2nd Battle of Los Angeles.

I've wondered how long it would take an invasion before the people in LA realized it was a real invasion and not just something being filmed. Helicopters and fighter jets have flown low in formation now and then and like a month or two ago three helicopters flew by my place at rooftop level and were descending in the middle of the night. No one seems bothered by the notion that three helicopters landed downtown somewhere in the middle of the night.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Aside from sonic booms, can you imagine the check-in times..?

Currently it's actually quicker to take a train from Beijing to Shanghai if you factor in travel to airport and check-in times etc., I can't imagine how much preparation time you're taking for a space flight beyond health checks and etc.,
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Heloin wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Unrelated but related, apparently working on a design that gets rid of the boom.

Huh, cool. I didn't know this.

I learned a whole lot about sonic booms finding out about this thing.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 pm

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:How do the astronauts get to ISS?

Practice practice practice.

I'll show myself out.

Lescaaris
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lescaaris » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 pm

If it is one of the only people that was offering these space plane services than sure. I don't think I would mind giving money to a person as long as they're like the only person offering the service.

The other question within these "would you go to space" questions is the capability of one being able to go to space, for me that is. Astronauts themselves gotta stay fit and there's the question of if it's worth it for all those health check-ups to blast-off and spend how long up there. But yeah, what else to do in space that would make it worth it to go on these rides?
Lescaaris, a progressive democratic-diarchic merchant republic in the near-future "post-post-apocalyptic" America, where society is rebuilt and new nation-states have been created while the United States government is nowhere to be found (I doubt the setting is really important and relevant though). Famous for European architecture, EDM, nightclubs, civil liberties, job opportunities, and trade fairs.

(To get a general theme-idea, Lescaarch culture is a combination of Dutch, Italian, Belgian, Monégasque, and French cultures.)

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm

Heloin wrote:Don't worry about that part of the scenario, it's not feasible, optimal, or even vaguely a sensible idea.

How do the astronauts get to ISS?

Currently a rocket in Kazakhstan more often than not. Soon the KSC in Florida again like the Space Shuttle.

I don't know the physics of breaking the sound barrier. I meant landing and stuff like that. The shuttle needs a long runway to land and that's why it lands at those big runways in the desert.

The Space Shuttle and the X-37 landed in Florida.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Personally I'd be willing to spend large amounts of money sending Jeff Bezos to space as long as he promises not to return to earth.
Last edited by Radiatia on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Heloin wrote:

Currently a rocket in Kazakhstan more often than not. Soon the KSC in Florida again like the Space Shuttle.

And Edwards and White Sands. Mostly Edwards, which is in the desert.

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Heloin wrote:

But that's a space center/base. I cant imagine everyone refitting modern airports for spacecraft.
News:

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Heloin wrote:Currently a rocket in Kazakhstan more often than not. Soon the KSC in Florida again like the Space Shuttle.

But that's a space center/base. I cant imagine everyone refitting modern airports for spacecraft.

They refit them for jets. I use to live on a man made island that was going to be an airport because they thought that the only way to do heavy aircraft was to land them on water.

If there's a demand for sub orbital flight then they'll build that shit. They're already building a flight hub for air taxis in a few places and they still haven't figured out how air taxis will even work.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Heloin wrote:Currently a rocket in Kazakhstan more often than not. Soon the KSC in Florida again like the Space Shuttle.

And Edwards and White Sands. Mostly Edwards, which is in the desert.

I'm fine with the fact I forgot White Sands but I'm also deeply ashamed that I forgot Edwards.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Heloin wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

They haven't invaded yet so one can only assume that negotiations are going well.

Its Bowie, of course they are going well.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Novaya Equestria
Senator

Founded: May 01, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Novaya Equestria » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Yes but if I have the money.
Last edited by Novaya Equestria on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
READ BELOW!

I RP as Novaya, a Human militaristic nation (cuz anime) and an archipelagic country. I also RP as the Novayan Stellar Commonwealth, a FanFT/FanFFT nation.
Please refer to me/my nation as Novaya in both IC and OOC, NOT Novaya Equestria.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Novaya Equestria wrote:Yes but if I have the money.

Isn't that just the nub of the problem, given the money we'd do more and more wasteful and pointless things, we buy more, we waste more.. one of the benefits of working from home is that I'm not walking around the city and so I'm not tempted to buy a new TV, buy some new clothes, buy an overpriced coffee..

..given speed limits, a Ferrari gets you somewhere in the same time as a far more ecologically sound vehicle, and often in less time than mass transport given traffic..

..but if I have the money..

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General