NATION

PASSWORD

Blue Origin - would you go?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you go on a rocket for a sub-oribtal flight?

Yes - I was born ready!
40%
Maybe - I feel like I would need some testing/training to see if my body can cope with the G forces...
32%
No - Bad enough fear of flying as it is...
27%

Total votes : 62

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Not if it supports Bezos, Branson, or Musk, no.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Of course I'll go, when I can afford it.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Despite the huge environmental costs?

I'd rather we spent our time building the matrix, without blowing up the sky first so it can be fully solar powered.

Then we just travel in our minds man..

*tokes*

Ny to Tokyo on the back of the bus is no fun, no fun at all.

How about a bus that can fly? We can call it an air bus.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:38 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:If I am flying nyc to Tokyo, and a sub orbital flight could be done in 4 hours instead of the usual 12, yes I would take the sub orbital flight assuming costs are within 40% of each other.

But why do you feel the need to pay considering Amazon and SpaceX are already stealing your money to fund these projects? :)
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Despite the huge environmental costs?

I'd rather we spent our time building the matrix, without blowing up the sky first so it can be fully solar powered.

Then we just travel in our minds man..

*tokes*

Ny to Tokyo on the back of the bus is no fun, no fun at all.

You'd simply want to go to Tokyo and you'd be there, or you could fly if you want.. with your own wings..

Given the technologies we can focus on, I'd rather not focus on a massive fuel burning rocket that gets us from one place to another a few hours earlier.

I saw an automobile once when I was a kid. But, now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Heloin wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Ny to Tokyo on the back of the bus is no fun, no fun at all.

The one thing the British, French and German agree on these days, they are going to sue your ass if you try any funny stuff
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm

I have an interest in space flight, but Blue Origin is too new, too Bezos, and too low in altitude for my satisfaction. I would’ve added too expensive as well, but the scenario apparently waives that.

If extra-atmospheric suborbital flight was an established and affordable industry operated by a trusted source, I’d almost certainly give it a shot.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Ny to Tokyo on the back of the bus is no fun, no fun at all.

You'd simply want to go to Tokyo and you'd be there, or you could fly if you want.. with your own wings..

Given the technologies we can focus on, I'd rather not focus on a massive fuel burning rocket that gets us from one place to another a few hours earlier.

I saw an automobile once when I was a kid. But, now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I would go if there was ... It's like Gertrude Stein observed in an entirely different context, "There is no there there." For something like travelling into space, I would want a destination.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Bezos' model is not sustainable for transport. The fuel costs are absurd. Like musks Tesla in space this was a cheap publicity stunt.

There is a model for this, Concorde. It would have to work in a similar fashion to have a chance at turning a profit.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I would go if there was ... It's like Gertrude Stein observed in an entirely different context, "There is no there there." For something like travelling into space, I would want a destination.

You can go see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Personally I'd be very happy attacking the Death Star in my X-Wing..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Bezos' model is not sustainable for transport. The fuel costs are absurd. Like musks Tesla in space this was a cheap publicity stunt.

There is a model for this, Concorde. It would have to work in a similar fashion to have a chance at turning a profit.

These are stunts, true. Neil deGrasse Tyson made the point the other day that the early airplane industry started with stunts and carrying freight and not much else, and when passenger service came in, it was rich people who were the first customers. We'll need actually civilian destinations in space before that can happen, though.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:52 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

You can go see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Personally I'd be very happy attacking the Death Star in my X-Wing..

It's full of stars.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Bezos' model is not sustainable for transport. The fuel costs are absurd. Like musks Tesla in space this was a cheap publicity stunt.

These are stunts, true. Neil deGrasse Tyson made the point the other day that the early airplane industry started with stunts and carrying freight and not much else, and when passenger service came in, it was rich people who were the first customers. We'll need actually civilian destinations in space before that can happen, though.

However with cars and planes we weren't quite so aware of the huge environmental impact they'd go on to have, as others have noted part of this is billionaires giving up on the planet.. first it was going to be libertarian sea cities, now it's off to unregulated space.

“The only way that I can see to deploy this much financial resource is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel. That is basically it.” I admire the honesty of the sheer inhumanity this quote displays. What would you do with $200bn? Cure diseases? End hunger? Eradicate poverty in an entire nation? Nah. Build a bunch of space rockets! I simply can’t see any other way to get all of these cumbersome gold bars out of my personal vault.

It's unnecessary, or at least can wait for much cleaner propulsion technology.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:55 pm

New haven america wrote:Not if it supports Bezos, Branson, or Musk, no.

I'm holding out for Delos Harriman myself.

Just came in to make the nerdiest reference...I'll leave my lunch money at the door.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:These are stunts, true. Neil deGrasse Tyson made the point the other day that the early airplane industry started with stunts and carrying freight and not much else, and when passenger service came in, it was rich people who were the first customers. We'll need actually civilian destinations in space before that can happen, though.

However with cars and planes we weren't quite so aware of the huge environmental impact they'd go on to have, as others have noted part of this is billionaires giving up on the planet.. first it was going to be libertarian sea cities, now it's off to unregulated space.

It's unnecessary, or at least can wait for much cleaner propulsion technology.

As long as there's no impact on Amazon's Prime delivery speed, I could care less if Jeff Bezos shoots himself into space. I'm not sure what exactly Richard Branson does except put his name on things, so him, too. I think getting up and out there would bring benefits, just like the early space race did. A couple of billionaires squandering money makes me no never-mind. Wealthy countries ought to be able to do this and clean things up down here. I don't think we will, but we can and we should.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Heloin wrote:

There's a 50s sci fi radio show where in order to demonstrate they were in the future they had helibuses.

But since I'm from NorCal I kept hearing it as 'hella buses.'
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Bezos' model is not sustainable for transport. The fuel costs are absurd. Like musks Tesla in space this was a cheap publicity stunt.

The moons of emdor.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I don't know why this bothers me and I'm loath to come to the 'defense' of these cats, but the Roadster was because it was a test flight for a cargo ship, so he had to put cargo in it that wouldn't matter if it exploded and nothing matters less than Musk's personal Roadster. Yes, using the roadster brought attention to the test but the whole flight wasn't just him going 'you know what I'm gonna do today? Launch my car into space, that'll show people how stupid rich I am!" He was testing the cargo carrying and deployment of his capsule and used his roadster to accomplish that.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Heloin wrote:How about a bus that can fly? We can call it an air bus.

There's a 50s sci fi radio show where in order to demonstrate they were in the future they had helibuses.

But since I'm from NorCal I kept hearing it as 'hella buses.'

I've seen the Mi-26 before and if I had to describe that helicopter as anything bus would definitely be appropriate.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:16 pm

I don't know why this bothers me and I'm loath to come to the 'defense' of these cats, but the Roadster was because it was a test flight for a cargo ship, so he had to put cargo in it that wouldn't matter if it exploded and nothing matters less than Musk's personal Roadster. Yes, using the roadster brought attention to the test but the whole flight wasn't just him going 'you know what I'm gonna do today? Launch my car into space, that'll show people how stupid rich I am!" He was testing the cargo carrying and deployment of his capsule and used his roadster to accomplish that.

I am the capitalist pig here, I am fine with this. I think these billionaires are driving down the cost of space. Private enterprise simply Innovates faster the public. There is no incentive to innovate or bring the price down on a costs plus government contract. If anything when the government gives you billions and you fail, there is going to be a congressional investigation and you are lucky to stay out of jail. You blow up Branson's billion dollar flying penis, worst happens you get fired, and most likely these guys have a much higher tolerance for failure than the feds do.

If space becomes affordable, and that's a pretty big if, these clowns are the start of it.

I agree with you,, Bezos was proving a point he can deliver cargo and people into low space orbit by putting his butt in the seat, and the raft of free publicity is worth millions of dollars.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know why this bothers me and I'm loath to come to the 'defense' of these cats, but the Roadster was because it was a test flight for a cargo ship, so he had to put cargo in it that wouldn't matter if it exploded and nothing matters less than Musk's personal Roadster. Yes, using the roadster brought attention to the test but the whole flight wasn't just him going 'you know what I'm gonna do today? Launch my car into space, that'll show people how stupid rich I am!" He was testing the cargo carrying and deployment of his capsule and used his roadster to accomplish that.

I am the capitalist pig here, I am fine with this. I think these billionaires are driving down the cost of space. Private enterprise simply Innovates faster the public. There is no incentive to innovate or bring the price down on a costs plus government contract. If anything when the government gives you billions and you fail, there is going to be a congressional investigation and you are lucky to stay out of jail. You blow up Branson's billion dollar flying penis, worst happens you get fired, and most likely these guys have a much higher tolerance for failure than the feds do.

If space becomes affordable, and that's a pretty big if, these clowns are the start of it.

I agree with you,, Bezos was proving a point he can deliver cargo and people into low space orbit by putting his butt in the seat, and the raft of free publicity is worth millions of dollars.

Except for the fact that the government is giving these projects billions of dollars.

Multi-millionaires and billionaires are the largest recipients of government aid, as well as the fact that these projects are receiving subsidies.

And guess where the money for both of those comes from?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 pm

if the spacecraft was like a modern plane with seats and toilets and food, I would go. But if it was some rocket and I have to be strapped in and wear a jumpsuit, no. Also, how would this work with airports? I wouldn't want to live near an airport with planes hurtling through the atmosphere and hearing a sonic boom every few minutes.
News:
Nationwide cyberattack devastates core government infrastructure, but we will prevail.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:38 pm

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:if the spacecraft was like a modern plane with seats and toilets and food, I would go. But if it was some rocket and I have to be strapped in and wear a jumpsuit, no.

I mean, Bezos flight was ten minutes.

Also, how would this work with airports? I wouldn't want to live near an airport with planes hurtling through the atmosphere and hearing a sonic boom every few minutes.

Ask anyone who lives near a airforce or navy base.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:41 pm

The roadster was to launch David Bowie into space to go negotiate peace treaties with aliens, that's the real truth.

十年

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know why this bothers me and I'm loath to come to the 'defense' of these cats, but the Roadster was because it was a test flight for a cargo ship, so he had to put cargo in it that wouldn't matter if it exploded and nothing matters less than Musk's personal Roadster. Yes, using the roadster brought attention to the test but the whole flight wasn't just him going 'you know what I'm gonna do today? Launch my car into space, that'll show people how stupid rich I am!" He was testing the cargo carrying and deployment of his capsule and used his roadster to accomplish that.

The roadster was to launch David Bowie into space to go negotiate peace treaties with aliens, that's the real truth.

They haven't invaded yet so one can only assume that negotiations are going well.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General