NATION

PASSWORD

Breaking News Protests across Cuba against the Cuban Regime

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Breaking News Protests Across Cuba Against the Cuban Government Vote and Discuss Statements

01 - As long as the Committees for the Defense of the Revolution of Cuba, The CDRs exist in Cuba, there will not be any western style democratic change, with all its faults and merits.
11%
02 - The USA should create a Naval Blockade of Cuba, nothing goes in, nothing goes out, until Cuban regime falls from within and without?
7%
03 - The Cuban government Leaders Need to Resign Power and Leave Cuba for España La Madre Patria, or any Nations, this is the only Peaceful Solution for the Cuban People Possible in Cuba.
9%
04 - If Nations Help Cuba economically, you are not helping the Cuban People Democratically, You are Helping the Cuban government leaders stay in Power.
10%
05 - The Cuban government leaders will Make Economic Reforms with the help of friendly nations, thereby helping the Cuban People.
7%
06 - The Cuban government leaders will Make western style political reforms with all its faults and merits, with the help of friendly nations, there by helping the Cuban People.
3%
07 - If the Cuban government uses considerable force against Cuban Protestors, the EU and EU Nations, Should Enforce and International Embargo on Cuba, similar to the International Embargo on South Africa, Perhaps other nations to Discuss?
9%
08 - The USA should create a strong Embargo against the Cuban government regime?
7%
09 - The Cuban government leaders will never give UP Power Peacefully.
13%
10- The USA should respect the Cuban government and do nothing?
24%

Total votes : 474

A priori
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby A priori » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I said that we have problems with excessive force. That does not disprove anything I said.

Yeah, but I'm not even sure it's accurate to say that the crackdowns last year in the US are less than what is happening in Cuba, Russia, Hong Kong, or other countries which have to worry about public opinion. While you occasionally get things as violent as the Tiananmen Square incident in some dictatorships, this represents more a state of exception in national security than ordinary operating procedure towards protests or even riots, and we see similar things take place even in Western democracies like France (e.g. the Paris Commune) historically when protest movements have threatened the sovereignty of the state.

The Cuban dictatorship is pretty mild compared to a lot of them and tbh I haven't seen that much evidence of violence that is out of the ordinary there.

Another not insignificant difference is that the people involved in the protests don't get thrown in jail and harrassed afterwards.
Defender of Turks; Yasha Kemal Pasha

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I said that we have problems with excessive force. That does not disprove anything I said.

Yeah, but I'm not even sure it's accurate to say that the crackdowns last year in the US are less than what is happening in Cuba, Russia, Hong Kong, or other countries which have to worry about public opinion. While you occasionally get things as violent as the Tiananmen Square incident in some dictatorships, this represents more a state of exception in national security than ordinary operating procedure towards protests or even riots, and we see similar things take place even in Western democracies like France (e.g. the Paris Commune) historically when protest movements have threatened the sovereignty of the state.

The Cuban dictatorship is pretty mild compared to a lot of them and tbh I haven't seen that much evidence of violence that is out of the ordinary there.

Yes liberal democracies are more than willing to bloody their hands on their own people when the status quo is threatened, the state violence on the American people in the last few years should be eye-opening.

A priori
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby A priori » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yeah, but I'm not even sure it's accurate to say that the crackdowns last year in the US are less than what is happening in Cuba, Russia, Hong Kong, or other countries which have to worry about public opinion. While you occasionally get things as violent as the Tiananmen Square incident in some dictatorships, this represents more a state of exception in national security than ordinary operating procedure towards protests or even riots, and we see similar things take place even in Western democracies like France (e.g. the Paris Commune) historically when protest movements have threatened the sovereignty of the state.

Yes liberal democracies are more than willing to bloody their hands on their own people when the status quo is threatened, the state violence on the American people in the last few years should be eye-opening.

:eyebrow: Really now?
Defender of Turks; Yasha Kemal Pasha

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:57 pm

A priori wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes liberal democracies are more than willing to bloody their hands on their own people when the status quo is threatened, the state violence on the American people in the last few years should be eye-opening.

It was state violence. That being said, I disagree with their claim that we're on par with Cuba.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:57 pm

A priori wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes liberal democracies are more than willing to bloody their hands on their own people when the status quo is threatened, the state violence on the American people in the last few years should be eye-opening.

Are you not an American? Serious question because the wave of reporting on police violence over the last 2 years is hard to miss.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:01 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
A priori wrote: :eyebrow: Really now?

It was state violence. That being said, I disagree with their claim that we're on par with Cuba.

So how much violence does the Cuban government actually engage in against its citizens? I'm not really able to find that much evidence of mass political violence there.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:It was state violence. That being said, I disagree with their claim that we're on par with Cuba.

So how much violence does the Cuban government actually engage in against its citizens? I'm not really able to find that much evidence of mass political violence there.

In fairness the lack of press freedom may have something to do with that.
The ability of people to record police goes a long way to reporting in the US, despite politicians trying to criminalize it.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:So how much violence does the Cuban government actually engage in against its citizens? I'm not really able to find that much evidence of mass political violence there.

The ability of people to record police goes a long way to reporting in the US, despite politicians trying to criminalize it.

Naturally, but if it were really so pervasive, we'd have some evidence of it. We know about Uyghur concentration camps after all.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:It was state violence. That being said, I disagree with their claim that we're on par with Cuba.

I don't think their media can as easily report on it. You won't have a mainstream network like CNN as openly covering the violence there as we do here.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Holocene Extinction

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:So how much violence does the Cuban government actually engage in against its citizens? I'm not really able to find that much evidence of mass political violence there.

We have flaws here, but the first amendment does have some teeth, as opposed to having no teeth like the constitutions of ML states.

Holocene Extinction

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm

I don't think their media can as easily report on it. You won't have a mainstream network like CNN as openly covering the violence there as we do here.

I mean yes, but I can't find evidence of really any sort. We have evidence of North Korean atrocities, even though they're actually a much more closed off country than Cuba, so why not for Cuba?

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I don't think their media can as easily report on it. You won't have a mainstream network like CNN as openly covering the violence there as we do here.

I mean yes, but I can't find evidence of really any sort. We have evidence of North Korean atrocities, even though they're actually a much more closed off country than Cuba, so why not for Cuba?

North Korea is much worse than Cuba and always makes noise. They earn more attention.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holocene Extinction

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Genivaria wrote:In fairness the lack of press freedom may have something to do with that.

Naturally, but if it were really so pervasive, we'd have some evidence of it. We know about Uyghur concentration camps after all.

Fair. Even authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia still have video evidence from people's mobile devices about violence there.
Unless all of Cuba lacks any network coverage which I doubt.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:17 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Naturally, but if it were really so pervasive, we'd have some evidence of it. We know about Uyghur concentration camps after all.

Fair. Even authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia still have video evidence from people's mobile devices about violence there.

It has networks, though I think they're expensive. Look, there are accounts of repression and all the NGOs condemn Cuba for dissent repression, and I don't think that's just propaganda, especially when they can and do condemn the U.S..

They also cut their internet in time for these protests: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 81053.html

Also, NK's violations are much worse, and probably are more likely to be covered and stick in one's head. Saudi Arabia also is importiant because our relationship with them shows our hypocrisy. Dissent and violence in Cuba however isn't as politically important.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holocene Extinction

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:"Cuba's dictatorship is one thing but what about Orange Man????"

It's all so tiresome. What do you have to say about the violence against anti-government protesters in Cuba?

Sorry if it triggers you that America does more crackdowns on anti-government protestors than the evil dictatorship.

I doubt that's true. But more to the point, you need to stop letting Trump live rent-free in your head. Dude's rich, at least make him pay rent. And get new material; you've been saying "triggered" in an attempt to mock(?) people who themselves were mocking other people for years, and in that time, both groups moved on to new terminology.

Genivaria wrote:Fair. Even authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia still have video evidence from people's mobile devices about violence there.

It has networks, though I think they're expensive. Look, there are accounts of repression and all the NGOs condemn Cuba for dissent repression, and I don't think that's just propaganda, especially when they can and do condemn the U.S..

They also cut their internet in time for these protests: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 81053.html

Also, NK's violations are much worse, and probably are more likely to be covered and stick in one's head. Saudi Arabia also is importiant because our relationship with them shows our hypocrisy. Dissent and violence in Cuba however isn't as politically important.

Yeah. Cuba's rather poor and hardly relevant, and they shut down their internet and phone lines during the protests. Figuring out the true scope of anything that happened is going to be mostly guesswork.

Genivaria wrote:In fairness the lack of press freedom may have something to do with that.

We have flaws here, but the first amendment does have some teeth, as opposed to having no teeth like the constitutions of ML states.

or Europeans
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:27 pm

Genivaria wrote:Fair. Even authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia still have video evidence from people's mobile devices about violence there.

Even NGO estimates for political violence from the government aren't particularly extraordinary, and that aside, the argument here is that, because we aren't able to collect evidence of pervasive political violence, that must mean that it's there, so it's an assertion, without data or even circumstantial evidence, of mass violence against protestors by the Cuban government in excess of what is normal in other states.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:29 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Sorry if it triggers you that America does more crackdowns on anti-government protestors than the evil dictatorship.

I doubt that's true. But more to the point, you need to stop letting Trump live rent-free in your head. Dude's rich, at least make him pay rent. And get new material; you've been saying "triggered" in an attempt to mock(?) people who themselves were mocking other people for years, and in that time, both groups moved on to new terminology.

The Reformed American Republic wrote:It has networks, though I think they're expensive. Look, there are accounts of repression and all the NGOs condemn Cuba for dissent repression, and I don't think that's just propaganda, especially when they can and do condemn the U.S..

Yeah. Cuba's rather poor and hardly relevant, and they shut down their internet and phone lines during the protests. Figuring out the true scope of anything that happened is going to be mostly guesswork.

Cuba has millions of tourists visit annually, the idea that they could hide pervasive political violence by turning off their internet when Ethiopia can't hide it in a region that they have totally cut off from the outside world via military blockade, destruction of infrastructure, etc. (Tigray) makes no sense.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:It has networks, though I think they're expensive. Look, there are accounts of repression and all the NGOs condemn Cuba for dissent repression, and I don't think that's just propaganda, especially when they can and do condemn the U.S..

Even NGO estimates for political violence from the government aren't particularly extraordinary, and that aside, the argument here is that, because we aren't able to collect evidence of pervasive political violence, that must mean that it's there, so it's an assertion, without data or even circumstantial evidence, of mass violence against protestors by the Cuban government in excess of what is normal in other states.

Normal in "other states." is not a clear standard. There are other states on par with NK when it comes to human rights violations. You compared it to the U.S. which is a country that does not need to take down the entire internet when there are protests or even riots, even when the internet can put our police in a bad light. That seems to suggest we're not as bad as them, which was the original claim. Are BLM websites taken offline or blocked en masse? No, they're not.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holocene Extinction

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:22 pm

Punished UMN wrote:Even NGO estimates for political violence from the government aren't particularly extraordinary, and that aside, the argument here is that, because we aren't able to collect evidence of pervasive political violence, that must mean that it's there, so it's an assertion, without data or even circumstantial evidence, of mass violence against protestors by the Cuban government in excess of what is normal in other states.

Normal in "other states." is not a clear standard. There are other states on par with NK when it comes to human rights violations. You compared it to the U.S. which is a country that does not need to take down the entire internet when there are protests or even riots, even when the internet can put our police in a bad light. That seems to suggest we're not as bad as them, which was the original claim. Are BLM websites taken offline or blocked en masse? No, they're not.

I mean even in comparison with Western democracies. The fact of the matter is just that there is not sufficient evidence to determine how violent the Cuban government is against political dissidents, but frankly prior existing data actually indicates that it's not a particularly violent dictatorship, probably more similar (though more lenient in terms of the death penalty, which is not used in Cuba) to the USSR during the Khrushchev Thaw than something like China during the Tiananmen crisis. One thing that has to be realized is that most dictatorships actually only use extreme violence as a last resort, for the same reason democracies do the same, it can increase tensions and make the overall protests worse (as happened in the fall of the USSR). The violence in the US during the protests last year would have been worse if the US hadn't spent hundreds of millions of dollars equipping police forces with weaponry specifically for the purpose of inflicting pain and injuries on protestors without killing them for the reason that shooting protesters is a lot worse publicity than cracking their skills with rubber bullets, which is another factor. Violence may not be more pervasive in dictatorships, but it may be more awe-inspiring in terms of the way that violence is applied. Is shooting a protestor and killing them more violent than cracking their skull with a club? Not really, but the "Protestor shot and killed" headline will produce a lot more shock than "1 injured in protest."
Last edited by Punished UMN on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Miami Shores
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Greater Miami Shores » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:08 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Normal in "other states." is not a clear standard. There are other states on par with NK when it comes to human rights violations. You compared it to the U.S. which is a country that does not need to take down the entire internet when there are protests or even riots, even when the internet can put our police in a bad light. That seems to suggest we're not as bad as them, which was the original claim. Are BLM websites taken offline or blocked en masse? No, they're not.

I mean even in comparison with Western democracies. The fact of the matter is just that there is not sufficient evidence to determine how violent the Cuban government is against political dissidents, but frankly prior existing data actually indicates that it's not a particularly violent dictatorship, probably more similar (though more lenient in terms of the death penalty, which is not used in Cuba) to the USSR during the Khrushchev Thaw than something like China during the Tiananmen crisis. One thing that has to be realized is that most dictatorships actually only use extreme violence as a last resort, for the same reason democracies do the same, it can increase tensions and make the overall protests worse (as happened in the fall of the USSR). The violence in the US during the protests last year would have been worse if the US hadn't spent hundreds of millions of dollars equipping police forces with weaponry specifically for the purpose of inflicting pain and injuries on protestors without killing them for the reason that shooting protesters is a lot worse publicity than cracking their skills with rubber bullets, which is another factor. Violence may not be more pervasive in dictatorships, but it may be more awe-inspiring in terms of the way that violence is applied. Is shooting a protestor and killing them more violent than cracking their skull with a club? Not really, but the "Protestor shot and killed" headline will produce a lot more shock than "1 injured in protest."

My Little Girl was beaten up by the eternal Revolution. Libertad Libertad Libertad Cubans shout to the world. Cubans are unarmed by the oppressive eternal revolution of over 61 Years and counting. How nice they are not oppressive enough, for leaders of the Democratic nations of the world and people of the world to care.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vi ... ORM=VDRVSR
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I once tried to K Me. Posted It and Reported. Locked by Mods. I am Autistic accounts for Repetitive Nature. I am Very Civil and Respectful to all on NS and off NS. My Opinions Are Not Bad Opinions No Ones Opinions Are Bad Opinons. We are on NS, to share, discuss, argue, disagree, on Trump, elections, Republicans, Democrats, Socialists, Libertarians and whatevers, with respect. This Respect Is Given It Is Not Earned, This Respect Is Called Freedom of Expression and Democracy. This Man Always Says What He Means, I Am The Real Thing. I Make Ted Cruz look like a Leftist. I have been on NS For over 10 Years with a Perfect Record of No Baiting, Trolling, Flaming, or Using Foul Language. I Am Very Proud of It and Wish To Keep My Record Clean. But I Am Not The Only One On NS. GMS. I'm Based.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Greater Miami Shores wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I mean even in comparison with Western democracies. The fact of the matter is just that there is not sufficient evidence to determine how violent the Cuban government is against political dissidents, but frankly prior existing data actually indicates that it's not a particularly violent dictatorship, probably more similar (though more lenient in terms of the death penalty, which is not used in Cuba) to the USSR during the Khrushchev Thaw than something like China during the Tiananmen crisis. One thing that has to be realized is that most dictatorships actually only use extreme violence as a last resort, for the same reason democracies do the same, it can increase tensions and make the overall protests worse (as happened in the fall of the USSR). The violence in the US during the protests last year would have been worse if the US hadn't spent hundreds of millions of dollars equipping police forces with weaponry specifically for the purpose of inflicting pain and injuries on protestors without killing them for the reason that shooting protesters is a lot worse publicity than cracking their skills with rubber bullets, which is another factor. Violence may not be more pervasive in dictatorships, but it may be more awe-inspiring in terms of the way that violence is applied. Is shooting a protestor and killing them more violent than cracking their skull with a club? Not really, but the "Protestor shot and killed" headline will produce a lot more shock than "1 injured in protest."

My Little Girl was beaten up by the eternal Revolution. Libertad Libertad Libertad Cubans shout to the world. Cubans are unarmed by the oppressive eternal revolution of over 61 Years and counting. How nice they are not oppressive enough, for leaders of the Democratic nations of the world and people of the world to care.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vi ... ORM=VDRVSR

Are you sure you don't mean My Little Pony? I mean while we're in fantasy land.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 pm

American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:41 pm

Punished UMN wrote:I mean yes, but I can't find evidence of really any sort. We have evidence of North Korean atrocities, even though they're actually a much more closed off country than Cuba, so why not for Cuba?

There are wide-ranging accounts of ongoing police brutality in Cuba. People have allegedly been shot by police. We lack reliable statistics, but, judging by the scale of the demonstrations and the fact that we're dealing with what is effectively a dictatorship, it's no bueno. The government has instigated a crackdown on internet access and dissident journalists, which has done quite a lot to repress opposition and muddle access to statistical information. I think it's a fair assumption to suppose that the Cuban police, acting with even less accountability and less negative press coverage than American police, are likely a lot more gung-ho about the suppression of dissent and brutality in response to criminality - such as opposing the Communist Party.

As for my opinion on Cuba generally, the Party's mismanagement of the country has brought it to this point. Cuba isn't exactly a pleasant place to live at the best of times, much less amid a pandemic and an economic crisis. A collapse would be a humanitarian disaster, but will eventually become inevitable without substantive liberalizing and anti-corruption reforms. The US shouldn't intervene militarily, needless to say. Let things play out. It's not our business, and our involvement would probably make things worse since the American public hasn't been willing to commit to a long-term foreign policy decision since Korea.
Last edited by Fahran on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:52 pm

Fahran wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I mean yes, but I can't find evidence of really any sort. We have evidence of North Korean atrocities, even though they're actually a much more closed off country than Cuba, so why not for Cuba?

There are wide-ranging accounts of ongoing police brutality in Cuba. People have allegedly been shot by police. We lack reliable statistics, but, judging by the scale of the demonstrations and the fact that we're dealing with what is effectively a dictatorship, it's no bueno. The government has instigated a crackdown on internet access and dissident journalists, which has done quite a lot to repress opposition and muddle access to statistical information. I think it's a fair assumption to suppose that the Cuban police, acting with even less accountability and less negative press coverage than American police, are likely a lot more gung-ho about the suppression of dissent and brutality in response to criminality - such as opposing the Communist Party.

As for my opinion on Cuba generally, the Party's mismanagement of the country has brought it to this point. Cuba isn't exactly a pleasant place to live at the best of times, much less amid a pandemic and an economic crisis. A collapse would be a humanitarian disaster, but will eventually become inevitable without substantive liberalizing and anti-corruption reforms. The US shouldn't intervene militarily, needless to say. Let things play out. It's not our business, and our involvement would probably make things worse since the American public hasn't been willing to commit to a long-term foreign policy decision since Korea.

Part of the issue is that thus far, there has not been any incentive to liberalize. The Party has been considering liberalizing, but they know that liberalizing without assurances from the United States that they won't be taken advantage of economically and politically would be disastrous, as it was for the Soviet Union. Even Trump knew that was the case, he said as much (in reference to China and the Soviet Union) in an interview decades ago and it remains probably the most intelligent thing he has said. The moves the party has made imply they would like to liberalize, but when they have tried, they haven't had anything to show for it politically or diplomatically.

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Punished UMN wrote:Part of the issue is that thus far, there has not been any incentive to liberalize. The Party has been considering liberalizing, but they know that liberalizing without assurances from the United States that they won't be taken advantage of economically and politically would be disastrous, as it was for the Soviet Union.

Perhaps, but Cuba's presently running the risk of tumbling into liberalization in a manner that more closely resembles the USSR than China or Vietnam. They're going to have to adopt one or the other approach eventually. Gorbachev, to a significant extent, found himself playing with fire by no serious fault of his own, having to grapple with the systemic corruption and mismanagement of the USSR that predated him by decades. Cuba's situation might prove even less fortuitous given it's not a super power and doesn't have access to the same resources that Russia had access to even in the middle of the Soviet collapse.

Punished UMN wrote:Even Trump knew that was the case, he said as much (in reference to China and the Soviet Union) in an interview decades ago and it remains probably the most intelligent thing he has said. The moves the party has made imply they would like to liberalize, but when they have tried, they haven't had anything to show for it politically or diplomatically.

I doubt they can expect to get out of this brouhaha without suffering some blowback and damage. It's more a matter of ripping off the band-aid in the least damaging way possible at this point given Cuba doesn't have the enviable situation of China or Vietnam to emulate. Really, a liberal Cuban economy is going to look a lot like Costa Rica, Panama, or the Bahamas if I had to guess. But a functioning tourist trap is probably preferable to a failed state. Best case scenario, we get a quasi-banana republic that miraculously conserves that healthcare.
Last edited by Fahran on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General