NATION

PASSWORD

Vatican says anti-hate bill infringes on treaty with Italy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Labbos wrote:
Exactly. So was comparing a desire to conquer the smallest state on Earth to the need for Lebensraum.

The purpose of your words seems to change constantly as the need arises.

How Humpty Dumptian.

Labbos
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Labbos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:53 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Labbos wrote:I didn't say that everything I don't like is Hitler though, did I?

You were talking about lebensraum. It's the same idea.

I'm not sure that's true. "Everything I don't like is Hitler" and "this thing is a bit like some terrible things from history" are not equivalent statements.

Neanderthaland wrote:You can really stop explaining what you said. We all understood it perfectly well. And we mostly seem to be in agreement that it was a dumb comparison. And now you've brought the crusades into it as well. Which, I mean... have you thought about that comparison at all? It's probably not the best thing to bring up in defense of the Papal State.

I mentioned the word "crusade" back in the first post that mentioned "Lebensraum". And yes, I'm aware of the historical context, as I said before:

Similarly, the word "crusade" drew a parallel to another fanatical group invading other lands. But once more it's chosen partly for the amusement factor, because the original crusades were called by the Pope against non-Catholic nations. I was arguing against something that was a reversal of that.

Neanderthaland wrote:Listen, while there is a serious discussion to be had over whether Italy has the right to annex a portion of their own capital: Keep in mind that you are responding, very seriously, to a joke. I mean, did you even watch the silly video?

I wasn't responding to the OP for the thread, but rather a comment that appeared to show no humour at all. If that comment was supposed to be humorous, then fine, I've missed that and made a tit of myself. I apologise.

Neanderthaland wrote:Germany did not invade Poland, or even the Soviet Union, primarily for ideological disagreements. They had ideological disagreements, especially with the latter, but they invaded because they wanted farmland.

I wasn't discussing ideology, but rather fanaticism leading to the invasion of other people's land. It's hard to imagine the Weimar Republic invading all of those lands just for the sake of farming.

Neanderthaland wrote:So is the lesson of history: "Don't invade other people's land for the purposes of resettling and farming them?" Because that worked out pretty well for the United States when they tried it.

Or is there some other lesson of history you think applies here? If so, it has nothing to do with the Nazis. Which is what we've all been telling you.

No, I have no doubt that the Italians would win a war against the Vatican very quickly (assuming half of their army didn't mutiny). And of the tiny bit of land they got, none would be farmland. The point wasn't that it couldn't be done, but rather that is shouldn't, and that the poster should compare themselves to historical groups who invaded and wiped out other countries because of their fanaticism. But as you said, it was just a joke, and so I've been making a tit of myself.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 pm

CoraSpia wrote:Not the biggest fan of the catholic church, but hate crime laws are bad laws, so I guess I have to agree with them here.

Oh shit, you're right. I was planning to go on an anti-papal rant here. Usually the Pope shits in the Woods, but today he shits all over equal rights. BUT hate speech laws are the exact opposite of equal rights. The Pope is correct, broken clock = twice a day. This time, the Pope is shitting in a toilet same as everybody else.

Previous

Return to General