NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:For the love of god ignore the very obvious bait lol

I got nothing better to do
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I think it’s pretty clear. I wouldn’t exist if I wasn’t for welfare. My great-grandparents where able to have kids and raise a family because of the welfare afforded to them by the New Deal. On top of that if it wasn’t for social security and other government benefits I’d be dead in a ditch because I’m unable to work

You should run for office tbh.

Id rather not
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:the 13th amendment abolished* Slavery and made it illegal. So your 'make the murderer a slave' idea will never happen.

Actually the 13th amendment left the caveat that UT could still be used as punishment.

Again, my mistake. And again, I don't think anyone with half a brain cell is going to make that an actual law for a number of reasons.
#FreeNSGRojava

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Proctopeo wrote:I don't know what powers Biden thinks he has, but I don't think he can get governors "out of the way".

Ah yeah. It's just as bad as Trump trying to do the same.

Society.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merrill wrote:

Please clarify, thank you.

I think it’s pretty clear. I wouldn’t exist if I wasn’t for welfare. My great-grandparents where able to have kids and raise a family because of the welfare afforded to them by the New Deal. On top of that if it wasn’t for social security and other government benefits I’d be dead in a ditch because I’m unable to work.

You have absolute proof that no one would help you voluntarily? The only way your existence can be maintained is by force? The government MUST take labor and profit from others and distribute it to you? There's no other way?

Also, sorry this is going to sound mean, but: You're able to post on a global website regularly. So, there should be some work you are capable of doing...
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Merrill wrote:
Postauthoritarian America wrote:
The US has spent about the same on its military since 1965 and lost every war it started. Please, tell us, how much more does it take?

I'm guessing that you missed that I'm a libertarian? The US hasn't properly declared War since 8 December 1941. Every action since then has been unconstitutional. Korea, Vietnam, and Kuwait were NOT our business. After 9/11, Congress should have declared War on Al-Qaeda, we should have killed them all, and that's it! No nation building. No conflict in Iraq. No air strikes in Libya, Syria, etc. The "War on Terror" is as absurd as "The War on Drugs". If fundamentalist Islamic groups attack, declare War on that group, commit genocide only on that group, and go home. The issue is that we haven't REALLY waged war properly in a long time. We should leave everyone alone until attacked, then our response should be so horrifying that the next group thinks three times before attacking. Sherman's March should be a minimum guideline.

The constitution says nothing about declaring war, only waging war
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:I don't know what powers Biden thinks he has, but I don't think he can get governors "out of the way".

Ah yeah. It's just as bad as Trump trying to do the same.

Society.

See, it's bad because Biden's a commie.

/s
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Merrill wrote:Also, sorry this is going to sound mean, but: You're able to post on a global website regularly. So, there should be some work you are capable of doing...

That's a valid rebuttal if everyone is meant to work every second of their waking time except to eat or to go to the bathroom.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm

The Temple of the Computer wrote:
Merrill wrote:
At the time of the ratification, whipping was not "Cruel and Unusual Punishment". I'm an Originalist when it comes to the Constitution, although I'm more of an Anti-Federalist. When it comes to moral questions, it's "What would Jesus do?" When it comes to questions of government, it's "What would Jefferson do".

I'd rather be whipped and fined than spend years in a cage getting beaten and raped.

the 13th amendment abolished* Slavery and made it illegal. So your 'make the murderer a slave' idea will never happen.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:the 13th amendment abolished* Slavery and made it illegal. So your 'make the murderer a slave' idea will never happen.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

See what I said about making it an actual law.
#FreeNSGRojava

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:53 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Merrill wrote:
At the time of the ratification, whipping was not "Cruel and Unusual Punishment". I'm an Originalist when it comes to the Constitution, although I'm more of an Anti-Federalist. When it comes to moral questions, it's "What would Jesus do?" When it comes to questions of government, it's "What would Jefferson do".

I'd rather be whipped and fined than spend years in a cage getting beaten and raped.

pretty sure jefferson would not agree with originalism my dude

Why? He certainly wouldn't approve of changing the Constitution without Amendment just because of language drift.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:54 pm

Merrill wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:

I think it’s pretty clear. I wouldn’t exist if I wasn’t for welfare. My great-grandparents where able to have kids and raise a family because of the welfare afforded to them by the New Deal. On top of that if it wasn’t for social security and other government benefits I’d be dead in a ditch because I’m unable to work.

You have absolute proof that no one would help you voluntarily? The only way your existence can be maintained is by force? The government MUST take labor and profit from others and distribute it to you? There's no other way?

Also, sorry this is going to sound mean, but: You're able to post on a global website regularly. So, there should be some work you are capable of doing...

A disabled military veteran is too lazy to work?

The mask slipped there bud. You don't think he is worthy of being helped.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Holocene Extinction

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:54 pm

Merrill wrote:
Then what's your issue?

He wants to destroy the current system.

So do I, just in the opposite direction. The government is too large and oppressive at all levels.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:55 pm

Merrill wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:pretty sure jefferson would not agree with originalism my dude

Why? He certainly wouldn't approve of changing the Constitution without Amendment just because of language drift.

Dude Tommy J wanted to change the entire constitution every 20 years. He wouldn’t care
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Merrill wrote:
You have absolute proof that no one would help you voluntarily?

Yes.
The only way your existence can be maintained is by force? The government MUST take labor and profit from others and distribute it to you? There's no other way?

Yup

Cool I’ll go tell my PTSD, depression, anxiety, and bad joints to stop so I can work
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:He wants to destroy the current system.

So do I, just in the opposite direction. The government is too large and oppressive at all levels.

You re going to make it worse. Therm should he guaranteed an existence for what he's done.

Holocene Extinction

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merrill wrote:
I'm guessing that you missed that I'm a libertarian? The US hasn't properly declared War since 8 December 1941. Every action since then has been unconstitutional. Korea, Vietnam, and Kuwait were NOT our business. After 9/11, Congress should have declared War on Al-Qaeda, we should have killed them all, and that's it! No nation building. No conflict in Iraq. No air strikes in Libya, Syria, etc. The "War on Terror" is as absurd as "The War on Drugs". If fundamentalist Islamic groups attack, declare War on that group, commit genocide only on that group, and go home. The issue is that we haven't REALLY waged war properly in a long time. We should leave everyone alone until attacked, then our response should be so horrifying that the next group thinks three times before attacking. Sherman's March should be a minimum guideline.

The constitution says nothing about declaring war, only waging war

U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 8, clause 1:
"To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
To provide and maintain a Navy."

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:01 pm

Merrill wrote:I think it’s pretty clear. I wouldn’t exist if I wasn’t for welfare. My great-grandparents where able to have kids and raise a family because of the welfare afforded to them by the New Deal. On top of that if it wasn’t for social security and other government benefits I’d be dead in a ditch because I’m unable to work.

A disabled military veteran is too lazy to work?

Didn't know that he is a veteran. Also, military disability payments are a form of pension for services rendered. That is EARNED! It is NOT public welfare!

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Merrill wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:That bit about people being willing to help each other out is my talking point, don't try to attach this bourgeois pseudo-"libertarian" nonsense to it.

Really? What are you, 4 years old? No one can use a phrase but you?!? Also, you should actually read posts before you comment, I have written about people voluntarily helping others many times on this thread...

I gotta say I am pretty fucking cool for a 4 year old. It's extremely rare for someone that young to be right about everything
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merrill wrote:
You have absolute proof that no one would help you voluntarily?

Yes.
The only way your existence can be maintained is by force? The government MUST take labor and profit from others and distribute it to you? There's no other way?

Yup

Cool I’ll go tell my PTSD, depression, anxiety, and bad joints to stop so I can work

As we all know, it's code for saying "I don't care about you, dont make me have to actually help you."

Holocene Extinction

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merrill wrote:

Dude Tommy J wanted to change the entire constitution every 20 years. He wouldn’t care

This. TJ was a believer in a living document, if nothing else.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merrill wrote:

He wasn't an anarchist. He wanted defined processes, not change just because 'society changed'. Read the Declaration of Independence. It is not chaotic, he was very organized.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:A disabled military veteran is too lazy to work?

Didn't know that he is a veteran. Also, military disability payments are a form of pension for services rendered. That is EARNED! It is NOT public welfare!

It's an object lesson to not assume that everyone in welfare is there because they want free stuff.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:A disabled military veteran is too lazy to work?

Everyone is entitled to a certain standard of life whether they sacrifice themselves for imperialists or not, but the government does owe far more than an apology to the people it used for its own shallow goals.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Merrill wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The constitution says nothing about declaring war, only waging war

U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 8, clause 1:
"To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
To provide and maintain a Navy."

Ok that says they can, not that they must
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General