NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
232
36%
It is possible.
166
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
47
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
106
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
102
16%
 
Total votes : 653

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7370
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Narland wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Please direct me to where the government has indicated death is the punishment for not complying with mask or vaccine mandates.

This is slightly off topic, but India has threatened a doctor with prosecution of a charge that has life imprisonment or the death penalty. While India isn't America

It is not
it is still one that prides itself on upholding human rights.

Prides itself, follows through rather less…

User avatar
Narland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1372
Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Narland wrote:This is slightly off topic, but India has threatened a doctor with prosecution of a charge that has life imprisonment or the death penalty. While India isn't America

It is not
it is still one that prides itself on upholding human rights.

Prides itself, follows through rather less…

I'm not arguing against your point. I though you might find the article interesting. We aren't to the point of incarceration or death penalty one way or the other, but India is.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 70298
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Forsher wrote:If droplets are the problem... and people thought they were... then surfaces are the problem.

Masks are a surface.

Now, if aerosols are the problem... and it turns out they are... then breathing is the problem.

Masks are good at minimising the risk of breathing.

And it further turns out the droplet thing is faaaaaaaaaaaaar less significant, than breathing aerosols.

That's what's going on here.

That's... not what was bandied about. The cloth mask solution (made out of whatever fabric you had handy) that came about a few months later was based on the idea that the disease was largely spread via droplets. Cloth masks were supposed to largely capture those and prevent you from inhaling them.

If aerosols are the problem, cloth masks are not very effective - you need surgical or N95 masks.

But whether it's droplets or aerosols, the proper response is some kind of mask.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63690
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm

https://www.kwtx.com/2021/09/10/affidav ... ted-biden/

Affidavit: Texas man murdered woman, shot her husband, because they voted for Biden
Suspect claimed pro-choice advocates are members of ‘Jewish Satanist Party’ who sacrifice children

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 70298
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:39 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://www.kwtx.com/2021/09/10/affidavit-texas-man-murdered-woman-shot-her-husband-because-they-voted-biden/

Affidavit: Texas man murdered woman, shot her husband, because they voted for Biden
Suspect claimed pro-choice advocates are members of ‘Jewish Satanist Party’ who sacrifice children

This place has gone insane.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47048
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Narland wrote:
Galloism wrote:This is actually part of a much longer pattern (Pre covid and honestly pre trump even, although holy fuck did he set a new bar on it) of the government telling people whatever it wants to drive some kind of result that it wants, regardless of the truth. When was the last time they just leveled with the American people and told them the truth?

There's a reason Americans are so distrustful of their government and will do anything but listen to it - it routinely earns its reputation of being untrustworthy.

Some time around 2012 (either through legislation or a Supreme Court decision), the Federal Govt was given blanket permission to lie domestically to the American people. I am looking for the NPR article.. Until it once again becomes a crime, not only should government agencies not be trusted, we should expect them to gaslight us like any other corrupt government would.


Are you referring to the stolen valor case?

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/22/14725771 ... it-a-crime

I am not a fan of Alito. He was spot on when he said:

“Do you really think that there is a ... First Amendment value in a bald-faced lie about a purely factual statement that a person makes about himself?"
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16666
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Galloism wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://www.kwtx.com/2021/09/10/affidavit-texas-man-murdered-woman-shot-her-husband-because-they-voted-biden/

Affidavit: Texas man murdered woman, shot her husband, because they voted for Biden
Suspect claimed pro-choice advocates are members of ‘Jewish Satanist Party’ who sacrifice children

This place has gone insane.


Didn't some guy recently take his kids to Mexico and murder them because he was convinced by Qanon theories that they were satan's kids. On the one hand this pandemic, as it were, of conspiracy theories is horrific, but it's also fascinating in terms of how people get sucked into them.
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 72062
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Galloism wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://www.kwtx.com/2021/09/10/affidavit-texas-man-murdered-woman-shot-her-husband-because-they-voted-biden/

Affidavit: Texas man murdered woman, shot her husband, because they voted for Biden
Suspect claimed pro-choice advocates are members of ‘Jewish Satanist Party’ who sacrifice children

This place has gone insane.

Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16666
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Corrian wrote:
Galloism wrote:This place has gone insane.

Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.


That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47048
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://www.kwtx.com/2021/09/10/affidavit-texas-man-murdered-woman-shot-her-husband-because-they-voted-biden/

Affidavit: Texas man murdered woman, shot her husband, because they voted for Biden
Suspect claimed pro-choice advocates are members of ‘Jewish Satanist Party’ who sacrifice children


Hmmm. I am pro-choice. I didn’t know I was a Jewish Satanist who sacrificed children. Maybe I have black out events?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 72062
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Corrian wrote:Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.


That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.

Humans are unfortunately super gullible and easily brainwashed, as has been shown with how many people are becoming complete nut jobs as of late. We're all adults, we shouldn't be falling for easily debunked shit at this point, but here we are. Its unfortunate.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63690
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm

Corrian wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.

Humans are unfortunately super gullible and easily brainwashed, as has been shown with how many people are becoming complete nut jobs as of late. We're all adults, we shouldn't be falling for easily debunked shit at this point, but here we are. Its unfortunate.


Every time I think i've seen and heard it all it gets topped by something new.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22932
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:53 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Corrian wrote:Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.


That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.


They are not actually conspiracy theories as such... it is more the case that people no longer trust "the mainstream media", picked another source and parrot that without ever checking it.
That they found this other source "through their own research" does of course not help - that makes it vastly more trustworthy in their minds.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63690
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:53 pm

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/loca ... 0048ed951c

Lamont urges business owners in anti-abortion states to move to Connecticut

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16666
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Corrian wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.

Humans are unfortunately super gullible and easily brainwashed, as has been shown with how many people are becoming complete nut jobs as of late. We're all adults, we shouldn't be falling for easily debunked shit at this point, but here we are. Its unfortunate.


Over here there was this whole thing among a certain group of people about Sinovac being better for Asians because it's only 60% efficacy, and Asians aren't as constitutionally strong as Caucasians so Pfizer was too strong.. it was just.. 'fuck, that's not how this all works you morons', but you just can't convince some people.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 70298
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Corrian wrote:Humans are unfortunately super gullible and easily brainwashed, as has been shown with how many people are becoming complete nut jobs as of late. We're all adults, we shouldn't be falling for easily debunked shit at this point, but here we are. Its unfortunate.


Every time I think i've seen and heard it all it gets topped by something new.

I saw this meme today and felt it on the inside.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47048
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Corrian wrote:
Galloism wrote:This place has gone insane.

Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.


Maybe….welll…..ahh…..Nope. Even my startup was in 18 countries.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 72062
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Also, another thing, the sign in my town along the highway (On a RV trailer of all things) that says "Trump won, save America" has been upgraded with a "Fuck Biden" sign today.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63690
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Galloism wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Every time I think i've seen and heard it all it gets topped by something new.

I saw this meme today and felt it on the inside.


Oh wow. I totally agree.

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16666
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
That's been the change, conspiracy theories were the domain of whacks, now it's people I actually know.


They are not actually conspiracy theories as such... it is more the case that people no longer trust "the mainstream media", picked another source and parrot that without ever checking it.
That they found this other source "through their own research" does of course not help - that makes it vastly more trustworthy in their minds.


Jordan Klepper did a thing on the Ukraine issue and people were like 'don't be a sheeple, read the transcript!', and he replied
'have you read the transcript?'
'no..'
'you just followed what other people have said right?'
'right'
'don't be a sheeple right?'
' right..'


Not quite as bad as..
Trump is great for the economy, my business has grown 4 times!
What do you do?
I'm a debt collector..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister
 
Posts: 2567
Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I am very, very pro-federation, and very, very pro-state rights. However, I find it so stupid how state law can override federal law
If you try bring marijuana in from overseas into a state where it's legal, you can be protected for that, even though it's legal to have it in that state. That is so stupid. As much as I am pro-federation and pro-state rights, federal law should override state law

Federal law does override state law. If the federal government wanted, it could arrest marijuana users with federal agents or something in legal weed states. But it doesn't because that would be a waste of resources for political posturing, especially since weed has gained wider acceptance and most people in the country are now cool with it. But still, you see that marijuana companies have trouble banking because that falls under the domain of federal authorities. Now, if a state were to abolish its murder statutes or something, I think you would find the federal government intervening pretty readily.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7370
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Corrian wrote:Also, another thing, the sign in my town along the highway (On a RV trailer of all things) that says "Trump won, save America" has been upgraded with a "Fuck Biden" sign today.

There’s a house near me with like a half dozen signs like that

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47048
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:This place has gone insane.


Didn't some guy recently take his kids to Mexico and murder them because he was convinced by Qanon theories that they were satan's kids. On the one hand this pandemic, as it were, of conspiracy theories is horrific, but it's also fascinating in terms of how people get sucked into them.


Wait he was pro-choice?

Thanks for making me look that one up. Another reason to let the missiles fly.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/10271338 ... im-to-kill
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 72062
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:00 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Corrian wrote:Understatement. While I was enjoying all the salty coworkers today, one was talking about how Lowe's is a "Globalist company" so of course they'll go along with Biden's mandate.

Lowe's only has stores in America and like a smaller division in Canada. That's it.


Maybe….welll…..ahh…..Nope. Even my startup was in 18 countries.

"According to its website, Lowe's has operated/serviced more than 2,355 locations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico alone, although the Mexican stores were closed in the late 2010s."

Pretty globalist there huh.

Lord Dominator wrote:
Corrian wrote:Also, another thing, the sign in my town along the highway (On a RV trailer of all things) that says "Trump won, save America" has been upgraded with a "Fuck Biden" sign today.

There’s a house near me with like a half dozen signs like that

My dad learned today that 7 days after an election, political signs are technically not allowed in my town. So we might report it, especially since its provocative right next to the highway. Not that I personally care if its provocative.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 72062
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:02 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Corrian wrote:Also, another thing, the sign in my town along the highway (On a RV trailer of all things) that says "Trump won, save America" has been upgraded with a "Fuck Biden" sign today.

There’s a house near me with like a half dozen signs like that

You should see some of the vehicles I've seen in the parking lot (I'm a loader/lot attendant at a Lowe's). Some people are whacko and love displaying it with 15 stickers on their back window.

Edit: Or all the idiots with their flags from their vehicles
Last edited by Corrian on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dakini, Deblar, Diahon, Ifreann, New haven america, Nora Xent, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads