NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:We live in a government and society with no official or theology. Religious liberty includes the right of “hyper-secularists” to advocate for their causes.

These can always change.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.
Pro: Warlordism, harems, Amazonian horse archers, steppebooism
Anti: You

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:And what are you actually fighting for? Before you say "traditional values," I am also asking what do they stand for?

You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

My, my, and here I was thinking you were talking of 2000 year old traditions. But here you are talking about the nuclear family and whatnot. Which is it?
Not to mention that this still doesn't answer my question. What good comes out most of this?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

North Washington Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:
North Washington Republic wrote:We live in a government and society with no official or theology. Religious liberty includes the right of “hyper-secularists” to advocate for their causes.

These can always change.

Good luck with that, :lol:
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
My 8values results

GET VACCINATED ASAP AND WEAR A MASK!!!

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:And what are you actually fighting for? Before you say "traditional values," I am also asking what do they stand for?

You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

Ignoring the abortion issue that just seems like enforcing arbitrary norms and solutions looking at the wrong problems.

Being a single parent while not definably a cake can in fact be manageable and a valid choice nor does one need a figure of both sexes or just one of each.

Why how are you planning to deal with amicable divorces? Or people with massive issues that a shrink can't solve?
#NSTransparency

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:Only because increasing numbers of people are disowning their patrimony.

Not every culture is christian, let alone your particular brand of tradition.

I'm sorry, I thought we were on the AMERICAN discussion thread. Most of us are ultimately of European descent, and therefore most heavily influenced by Christianity. Hence my statement.
You're not making much effort to explain it, from what I can tell.

Because it's not worth the effort. I'm not going to change your mind. You're always going to think that I'm a moral monster, and will never give the Christian perspective a fair hearing as a result.

So much for fighting tooth and nail, hm? You can't possibly care too terribly much about the whole thing if you can't come up with a justification you are willing to put forward to those you judge as enemies.[/quote]

If I had any evidence that the Left was open-minded enough to give me a fair hearing, I'd be happy to engage in argument and counter-argument. I have no such evidence.

That's the Leftist trick. Don't restrict the religion as a whole, go after individual moral teachings and pretend that they can be separated from the religion.

You are aware there are plenty of pro-choice and LGBTQ-friendly Christians and churches, yes?

I am aware of the depth of decay into which the church in America has fallen, yes.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that, even if there isn't persecution, it's completely understandable to have fears of your community's future in a society where you're increasingly a minority group and one that is pretty routinely derided in culture as uneducated, ignorant, and culturally backward. To say that it's complete paranoia to fear that your community might become totally irrelevant or even cease to exist is pretty strange when many internal projections already show a terminal decline in membership because many churches actually have reached a point of decline in generational membership that it is no longer viable for them to continue existing, because even socializing and reproduction within the community is no longer viable (there's a reason "flirt to convert" is a common joke in conservative Christian circles -- because the only option to meet a partner usually is to convince one to marry you and convert to your religion).
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

My, my, and here I was thinking you were talking of 2000 year old traditions. But here you are talking about the nuclear family and whatnot. Which is it?
Not to mention that this still doesn't answer my question. What good comes out most of this?

Conservative Christians typically believe that the nuclear family is the oldest example of what a typical family is. :roll:

The oldest example of typical families were polygamist.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
My 8values results

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Not every culture is christian, let alone your particular brand of tradition.

I'm sorry, I thought we were on the AMERICAN discussion thread. Most of us are ultimately of European descent, and therefore most heavily influenced by Christianity. Hence my statement.
Because it's not worth the effort. I'm not going to change your mind. You're always going to think that I'm a moral monster, and will never give the Christian perspective a fair hearing as a result.

So much for fighting tooth and nail, hm? You can't possibly care too terribly much about the whole thing if you can't come up with a justification you are willing to put forward to those you judge as enemies.

If I had any evidence that the Left was open-minded enough to give me a fair hearing, I'd be happy to engage in argument and counter-argument. I have no such evidence.

That's the Leftist trick. Don't restrict the religion as a whole, go after individual moral teachings and pretend that they can be separated from the religion.

You are aware there are plenty of pro-choice and LGBTQ-friendly Christians and churches, yes?

I am aware of the depth of decay into which the church in America has fallen, yes.[/quote]
If you're sticking to not changing any part of the bible, polygyny should be legal.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:
Immortan Khan wrote:These can always change.

Good luck with that, :lol:

Thanks!
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Punished UMN wrote:Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that, even if there isn't persecution, it's completely understandable to have fears of your community's future in a society where you're increasingly a minority group and one that is pretty routinely derided in culture as uneducated, ignorant, and culturally backward. To say that it's complete paranoia to fear that your community might become totally irrelevant or even cease to exist is pretty strange when many internal projections already show a terminal decline in membership because many churches actually have reached a point of decline in generational membership that it is no longer viable for them to continue existing, because even socializing and reproduction within the community is no longer viable (there's a reason "flirt to convert" is a common joke in conservative Christian circles -- because the only option to meet a partner usually is to convince one to marry you and convert to your religion).

Again, that seems like a issue that conservative Christians must work on and not ask help from us hell bound apostate and heathens. This would be similar to asking a Conservative Christian clergy member or pastor to officiate a same-sex wedding, and I am also against that too. However it’s not the job of non-conservative Christians to make sure that is enough conservative Christians. That is the job of the church.
Last edited by North Washington Republic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 8values results

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Punished UMN wrote:Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that, even if there isn't persecution, it's completely understandable to have fears of your community's future in a society where you're increasingly a minority group and one that is pretty routinely derided in culture as uneducated, ignorant, and culturally backward. To say that it's complete paranoia to fear that your community might become totally irrelevant or even cease to exist is pretty strange when many internal projections already show a terminal decline in membership because many churches actually have reached a point of decline in generational membership that it is no longer viable for them to continue existing, because even socializing and reproduction within the community is no longer viable (there's a reason "flirt to convert" is a common joke in conservative Christian circles -- because the only option to meet a partner usually is to convince one to marry you and convert to your religion).

The whole pedo problem and it’s cover up has definitely not helped at all. I read somewhere that it was the major cause of most people leaving religion
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Furthering this point: no one asks "What stake do conservative Christians have in our current society?" and the answer is pretty much zero. Why should we expect communities to be more civil and not be dragged towards more radical views and politics when they don't really have anything to really lose?
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 pm

Again, that seems like a issue that conservative Christians must work on and not ask help from us hell bound apostate and heathens.

It's not about asking for help, it's asking for a lack of condescension and triumphalism about it. Whether you'd admit it or not, the broad cultural zeitgeist is derisive towards us at best and actively hostile at worst. We're treated as though we're some large oppressive group controlling society through the GOP from the shadows when in reality we are struggling to eek out an existence.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:00 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Not every culture is christian, let alone your particular brand of tradition.

how about you show us how the left threaten your freedom of religion. because I asked for evidence, and you fail to produce any evidence that the left is threatening your freedom of religion.
the only I see, is that you dislike the fact that people are starting to accept vision/ policies that are in contradiction with your vision, but how does that threaten your freedom of religion.
If you say the left threaten your religious liberty, then provide evidence please.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Again, that seems like a issue that conservative Christians must work on and not ask help from us hell bound apostate and heathens.

It's not about asking for help, it's asking for a lack of condescension and triumphalism about it. Whether you'd admit it or not, the broad cultural zeitgeist is derisive towards us at best and actively hostile at worst. We're treated as though we're some large oppressive group controlling society through the GOP from the shadows when in reality we are struggling to eek out an existence.

It doesn’t help your case when you have religiously conservative politicians who want to reverse every socially liberal thing in the past 50 years. It also doesn’t help that many of those politicians where/are in positions of power
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

I'd favor the high degree of interconnection of an extended family, but we have to start improving things somewhere. Going back to the nuclear family is a good first step.

The way I see it, the things I listed are themselves proper ends, rather than means to separate ends. With the exception of the nuclear family, which is the first step towards returning to the natural order of society.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Catarapania wrote:

Last time I checked the US isn’t a theocracy.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Catarapania wrote:

Not everyone, though. Notably not, since you emphasized it, many AMERICANS.

So much for fighting tooth and nail, hm? You can't possibly care too terribly much about the whole thing if you can't come up with a justification you are willing to put forward to those you judge as enemies.

Hmph. Not my fault you're unwilling to fight as tooth and nail as you claimed.

I am aware of the depth of decay into which the church in America has fallen, yes.

So christians that interpret the religion differently than yourself are "decayed?" Is every denomination but one decayed, then?

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Also there is a pseudo-official form of state atheism that is both promoted and even enforced. Even politicians deriving their political stances and ethics from religion is derided and seen as something that should disqualify them from holding office and/or power. This gets further translated into the legal process. There is no "Live and let live" system because there is a universal legal system which means that eventually once side is going to have to dominate when it comes to cultural norms, beliefs, laws etc. The only thing that could come close to a live and let live system is if there was a millet type system for (ir)religious communities. Eg abortion could be legally punished and would be illegal for people belonging to religious communities that hold that position.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Punished UMN wrote:

I think it’s conservative Christians that have feelings of condescension and triumphalism compared to non-conservative Christians. People have have hostility towards conservative Christians is because they do have a feeling of superiority compared to the general populace. Are they’re hardcore anti-theists that feel condescension and triumphalism over the shrinking numbers of conservative Christians, I admit that. But the general populace doesn’t care.

The persecution complex among conservative Christians is nothing new. They have been saying that they are really the oppressed ones for decades. The the “secular elite” is against them and they are the arbiters of truth.
Last edited by North Washington Republic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 8values results

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:We live in a government and society with no official or theology.

Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Catarapania wrote:

Why is it that the political vision of transcendent religious faiths always boils down to reactionary brutality? Why bother with all the ritual for such a pathetic creed? Breeders killing each other for burning dinner is going to happen whether or not you make them sit through a bunch of Cold War-era theatrics every Sunday, you might as well save yourself the trouble.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:My, my, and here I was thinking you were talking of 2000 year old traditions. But here you are talking about the nuclear family and whatnot. Which is it?

I'd favor the high degree of interconnection of an extended family, but we have to start improving things somewhere. Going back to the nuclear family is a good first step.

The way I see it, the things I listed are themselves proper ends, rather than means to separate ends. With the exception of the nuclear family, which is the first step towards returning to the natural order of society.

The "natural order of society?" Please, do elaborate.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It's not about asking for help, it's asking for a lack of condescension and triumphalism about it. Whether you'd admit it or not, the broad cultural zeitgeist is derisive towards us at best and actively hostile at worst. We're treated as though we're some large oppressive group controlling society through the GOP from the shadows when in reality we are struggling to eek out an existence.

It doesn’t help your case when you have religiously conservative politicians who want to reverse every socially liberal thing in the past 50 years. It also doesn’t help that many of those politicians where/are in positions of power

The implication though is that there's some monolith there. Like I'm Orthodox, we have basically nothing in-common with Evangelicals socially or politically. The most important religious figure in my church is a 60+ year old man from Syria, we're not represented by those people. There are as many hate crimes against Orthodox Christians who are mistaken for Muslims by right wingers as there are against Muslims. We're still equally affected by those cultural attitudes simply because our church is typically seen as patriarchal and sex-negative (and oftentimes with a subtext, even from liberal commentators, of actual racial animus against our leadership).

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:07 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:The the “secular elite” is against them

Yeah and that's true. No other religion gets pilloried or is seen as fair game to the same extent that Christianity is.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General