NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:Wikipedia tells me that he is an Unspecified Protestant, but ok I guess that works too.

Every belief he has is unspecified.

Other then owning the libs, that for a fact I know is true.
#FreeNSGRojava

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 pm

Catarapania wrote:
North Washington Republic wrote:
Right-wing Christians are panicking because they’re such a shrinking part of the population.

If we were shrinking, but our beliefs were still seen as valid, it wouldn't be a problem.

I really fail to see how the legalization of abortion is an attack against your belief. No one is going to force you to get an abortion and no one is going to come for your gun.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Catarapania wrote:
I’m not attempting anything. Just because the majority of people disagree with your theology doesn’t mean there isn’t religious freedom. You’re upset because not everyone agrees with you. Religious liberty also means that people have a right not to be religious.

You completely ignored my central point. Even if you yourself are not part of the problem, there's a very active section of the populace that is trying to make a commitment to traditional sexual morality

Not everyone's tradition, mind.
out to be "homophobic," and that smears pro-lifers as "misogynists."

If the shoe fits.
No one outside of my ingroup will even attempt to understand why my position is the way it is,

You're not making much effort to explain it, from what I can tell.
and if I publically express my views, there go my employment opportunities. I put it to you that, if someone can't publically state the moral teachings of their religion without being blacklisted, then religious liberty is decidedly lacking.

Religious discrimination is a thing you can sue for, if that's truly the thing being persecuted here.
I do find myself skeptical that that's the case, however.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Punished UMN wrote:The reason that's not comforting for those of us who are religious is that it's not persecution we're afraid of, it's ceasing to exist as viable communities. A lot of religious communities already have pretty crippling demographic decline just from people leaving, and the worry for a lot of us is that as the more atheist mindset becomes the cultural default that practicing our religions will just stop being physically and culturally viable. You don't have to be persecuted to cease to exist.

That sounds like work that Conservative Christians need to work on. People are free to leave any religious communities anytime they wish in the United States. It’s not the job of the wider society to push people into religion, that is the job of believers.

Again, we're not worried about people being free or unfree to leave communities, but the wider culture is actually kind of actively hostile to our social mores and it's extremely difficult to have retention in your community under those circumstances, and very few people are converting in because it's actually pretty unpopular to be a traditionalist Christian. This also actually makes it very difficult because there is a chronic lack of options for even basic social functions like friendship, marriage, etc.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:Donald Trump was a Presbyterian?

So he said, iirc.

I’m pretty sure Trump was the first atheist president. Though not officially
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
You can sue against discrimination.

Yeah, you think I can afford lawyers? You've got another thing coming.

And even if I could, the judge would just say that I got what was coming to me. That's the way the tide is turning. There's no room for us in society any more. Are you surprised that we fight tooth and nail to the last breath, applying every means at our disposal?

And what are you actually fighting for? Before you say "traditional values," I am also asking what do they stand for?

North Washington Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
So he said, iirc.

Agreed. I think he was not only atheist, but hostile to religion. Had opinions about religion similar to Ayn Rand, but he kept his opinions to himself because there are enough marks to buy into his bullshit.
Last edited by North Washington Republic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
My 8values results

GET VACCINATED ASAP AND WEAR A MASK!!!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
So he said, iirc.

I am sure he believes in some kind of god, but it's not a very nice one, probably a lot like him actually.
#FreeNSGRojava

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Catarapania wrote:I put it to you that, if someone can't publically state the moral teachings of their religion without being blacklisted, then religious liberty is decidedly lacking.

Or it could be that the moral teachings of that religion are simply so strange as to alienate most of society, but I’m sure you’ve already drawn a more self-serving conclusion
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:
You completely ignored my central point. Even if you yourself are not part of the problem, there's a very active section of the populace that is trying to make a commitment to traditional sexual morality

Not everyone's tradition, mind.

Only because increasing numbers of people are disowning their patrimony.

out to be "homophobic," and that smears pro-lifers as "misogynists."

If the shoe fits.

It doesn't, but that won't stop you from saying that it does.

No one outside of my ingroup will even attempt to understand why my position is the way it is,

Because it's not worth the effort. I'm not going to change your mind. You're always going to think that I'm a moral monster, and will never give the Christian perspective a fair hearing as a result.

and if I publically express my views, there go my employment opportunities. I put it to you that, if someone can't publically state the moral teachings of their religion without being blacklisted, then religious liberty is decidedly lacking.

Religious discrimination is a thing you can sue for, if that's truly the thing being persecuted here.

That's the Leftist trick. Don't restrict the religion as a whole, go after individual moral teachings and pretend that they can be separated from the religion.
Last edited by Catarapania on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Thermodolia wrote:I’m pretty sure Trump was the first atheist president. Though not officially

Agreed. I think he was not only atheist, but hostile to religion. Had similar opinions like Ayn Rand, but he kept his opinions to himself because there are enough marks to buy into his bullshit.

He wasn’t hostile to religion but he definitely didn’t think highly of people who where devout followers of it
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 pm

The Temple of the Computer wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I’m pretty sure Trump was the first atheist president. Though not officially

I am sure he believes in some kind of god, but it's not a very nice one, probably a lot like him actually.

Ya, he’s the god. Or at least he thinks he’s one
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
So he said, iirc.

Religious hypocrisy is not so specials it means kicking them out of having faith at least.

Though I'm still giggling at one of his towers possibly being 666ft tall or something like that.
#NSTransparency

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Punished UMN wrote:The reason that's not comforting for those of us who are religious is that it's not persecution we're afraid of, it's ceasing to exist as viable communities. A lot of religious communities already have pretty crippling demographic decline just from people leaving, and the worry for a lot of us is that as the more atheist mindset becomes the cultural default that practicing our religions will just stop being physically and culturally viable. You don't have to be persecuted to cease to exist.

That sounds like work that Conservative Christians need to work on. People are free to leave any religious communities anytime they wish in the United States. It’s not the job of the wider society to push people into religion, that is the job of believers.

But it can be encouraged by the state. That's what Saint Constantine did. While pagans were still allowed to go about their ways and many traditional pagan mores were allowed to be expressed, if not practiced, he created an environment that made becoming Christian advantageous to oneself socially and culturally. I mean, this is also what hyper-secularists are doing at the social level and leveraging elite institutions for their own side.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.
Pro: Warlordism, harems, Amazonian horse archers, steppebooism
Anti: You

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Agreed. I think he was not only atheist, but hostile to religion. Had similar opinions like Ayn Rand, but he kept his opinions to himself because there are enough marks to buy into his bullshit.

He wasn’t hostile to religion but he definitely didn’t think highly of people who where devout followers of it

Yes. A lot of his followers were of the charismatic or Pentecostal orientation. So, someone like him would mock the shit out of them.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
My 8values results

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:Yeah, you think I can afford lawyers? You've got another thing coming.

And even if I could, the judge would just say that I got what was coming to me. That's the way the tide is turning. There's no room for us in society any more. Are you surprised that we fight tooth and nail to the last breath, applying every means at our disposal?

And what are you actually fighting for? Before you say "traditional values," I am also asking what do they stand for?

You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Sincluda wrote:Biden doesn't get his religion involved in his politics. He doesn't want to force his views on others, which is why he's personally pro-life but want pro-choice policies. That's an admirable quality, and my favorite thing about him, even if I'm not raving in support of him.

That's one way you could see it. Another way you can see it is as a man who can easily bend his own apparent principles when it benefits him.

Regardless, there's no such thing as "personally" pro life people. You either are or you're not.

Sure, that's another view, and a fair one.

I mean he is opposed to abortion but not in his political policies.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:And what are you actually fighting for? Before you say "traditional values," I am also asking what do they stand for?

You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

So if a wife/husband gets domestically abused by their partner, they are not allowed to get a divorce? Or when they simply don't love one a other anymore?
#FreeNSGRojava

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:

But it can be encouraged by the state. That's what Saint Constantine did. While pagans were still allowed to go about their ways and many traditional pagan mores were allowed to be expressed, if not practiced, he created an environment that made becoming Christian advantageous to oneself socially and culturally. I mean, this is also what hyper-secularists are doing at the social level and leveraging elite institutions for their own side.

I go by the United States Constitution. I don’t really give two shits what Saint Constantine did. We live in a government and society with no official or theology. Religious liberty includes the right of “hyper-secularists” to advocate for their causes.
Last edited by North Washington Republic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My 8values results

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Catarapania wrote:You know damn well what, but if necessary, I'll spell it out for you. The rights of the unborn. The nuclear family as the bedrock social unit. Every child having one parent of each biological sex. No single mothers trapped in poverty by irresponsible fathers. The de-commodification of sex. The permanence of marriage. Among other things.

So if a wife/husband gets domestically abused by their partner, they are not allowed to get a divorce? Or when they simply don't love one a other anymore?

I am willing to make exceptions in the case of abuse, abandonment, and adultery - but only in those cases.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Not everyone's tradition, mind.

Not every culture is christian, let alone your particular brand of tradition.
If the shoe fits.

Because it's not worth the effort. I'm not going to change your mind. You're always going to think that I'm a moral monster, and will never give the Christian perspective a fair hearing as a result.

So much for fighting tooth and nail, hm? You can't possibly care too terribly much about the whole thing if you can't come up with a justification you are willing to put forward to those you judge as enemies.

That's the Leftist trick. Don't restrict the religion as a whole, go after individual moral teachings and pretend that they can be separated from the religion.

You are aware there are plenty of pro-choice and LGBTQ-friendly Christians and churches, yes?
Last edited by Necroghastia on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:But it can be encouraged by the state. That's what Saint Constantine did. While pagans were still allowed to go about their ways and many traditional pagan mores were allowed to be expressed, if not practiced, he created an environment that made becoming Christian advantageous to oneself socially and culturally. I mean, this is also what hyper-secularists are doing at the social level and leveraging elite institutions for their own side.

I go by the United States Constitution. I don’t really give two shits what Saint Constantine did. We live in a government and society with no official or theology. Religious liberty includes the right of “hyper-secularists” to advocate for their causes.

You edited this so that it wouldn't say "we live in a society" didn't you?
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Punished UMN wrote:

You edited this so that it wouldn't say "we live in a society" didn't you?

It's true, we do truly live in a capitalist society.
#FreeNSGRojava

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:51 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Not everyone's tradition, mind.

Not our problem mate. Maybe if religious institutions where idk less corrupt and at times down right evil and didn’t have messed up priorities, like going after two consenting adults but kiddie fuckers are left alone, maybe if they wherent like that then they wouldn’t be loosing so many people.

But either way that’s not the governments nor societies problem. It’s the religions problems
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Punished UMN wrote:You edited this so that it wouldn't say "we live in a society" didn't you?

It's true, we do truly live in a capitalist society.

Fucking sucks ass
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General