NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:34 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Absolutely not. But it is an absolute fallacy that policy that is crafted with the intent of making elections more secure and applies to everyone equally is racist and an attack on Democracy.

The problem is, just because a policy might be targeted equally does not mean that it will have equal results for everyone.

So? No policy ever has or ever will end up with equal results, equal results is a foolish standard that just promotes discrimination in one way or another. As long as policies are implemented equally, there should be no problem with them on the kind of level these Democrats are taking it. They might disagree with that policy, and that's perfectly ok, but to pretend that unequal results are racist and continue to abuse the House rules in Texas to prevent a vote is just stupid.

Now I'm sorry I won't be here to answer you guys any longer but I have to go to work, cheers! :)
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Absolutely not. But it is an absolute fallacy that policy that is crafted with the intent of making elections more secure and applies to everyone equally is racist and an attack on Democracy.

It doesn’t affect everyone equally any more than banning disabled access ramps for buildings affects everyone equally. Sure, it applies to everyone, but that doesn’t make its effects fair or equitable for the people who actually live under the system.

Besides, the idea that these measures are actually in the name of security, when actual cases of voter fraud do and always have measured in the dozens per election, is pretty funny.

Nobody should react negatively to wanting to make elections safer, why wouldn't you want them to be safer regardless of previous cases? You wouldn't. I find your last point to be completely irrelevant.
As for your first point, being disabled is often an immutable physical characteristic that cannot be changed, therefore should not be discriminated against. It would be morally right to make their lives a bit easier and install access ramps. If you're somehow suggesting that, say, black people are incapable of providing voter ID or finding the right voting station is inherently stupid and, frankly, racist.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:
The problem is, just because a policy might be targeted equally does not mean that it will have equal results for everyone.

So? No policy ever has or ever will end up with equal results, equal results is a foolish standard that just promotes discrimination in one way or another. As long as policies are implemented equally, there should be no problem with them on the kind of level these Democrats are taking it. They might disagree with that policy, and that's perfectly ok, but to pretend that unequal results are racist and continue to abuse the House rules in Texas to prevent a vote is just stupid.

Now I'm sorry I won't be here to answer you guys any longer but I have to go to work, cheers! :)

'Well, I guess those fuckers in wheelchairs should have thought better of their actions before they got themselves bound to a wheelchair. They can just walk up those fucking steps like everyone else. And them blind folk can just read the signs like everybody else. Those stairs and signs work fine for me, and it will damn well work fine for them too!'

This is functionally what I'm hearing from you.
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Your statement contradicts your previous statement.

As Gallo mentioned “disparate impact" is what is going on here. These measures have next to nothing to do with election security in the traditional sense.

Election security to the republicans means making voting hard for those that aren’t going to vote for them anyway. There is no wide scale election fraud. There are fraud cases sure. The problem is they fall well within the margins of error.

Even the ex-president bemoaned mail in balloting as ripe with fraud. Oregon and Colorado has used it for a couple decades. About 36 million or so votes. The amount of wide scale fraud in that peiod of time? A grand total of 22 votes,
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:It doesn’t affect everyone equally any more than banning disabled access ramps for buildings affects everyone equally. Sure, it applies to everyone, but that doesn’t make its effects fair or equitable for the people who actually live under the system.

Besides, the idea that these measures are actually in the name of security, when actual cases of voter fraud do and always have measured in the dozens per election, is pretty funny.

Nobody should react negatively to wanting to make elections safer, why wouldn't you want them to be safer regardless of previous cases? You wouldn't. I find your last point to be completely irrelevant.
As for your first point, being disabled is often an immutable physical characteristic that cannot be changed, therefore should not be discriminated against. It would be morally right to make their lives a bit easier and install access ramps. If you're somehow suggesting that, say, black people are incapable of providing voter ID or finding the right voting station is inherently stupid and, frankly, racist.

There is a test you can do when you hear a republican jabbering on about voter id. Tell them the government should pay for these ids and see what the response will be.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:46 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:So? No policy ever has or ever will end up with equal results, equal results is a foolish standard that just promotes discrimination in one way or another. As long as policies are implemented equally, there should be no problem with them on the kind of level these Democrats are taking it. They might disagree with that policy, and that's perfectly ok, but to pretend that unequal results are racist and continue to abuse the House rules in Texas to prevent a vote is just stupid.

Your statement contradicts your previous statement.

As Gallo mentioned “disparate impact" is what is going on here. These measures have next to nothing to do with election security in the traditional sense.

Election security to the republicans means making voting hard for those that aren’t going to vote for them anyway. There is no wide scale election fraud. There are fraud cases sure. The problem is they fall well within the margins of error.

Even the ex-president bemoaned mail in balloting as ripe with fraud. Oregon and Colorado has used it for a couple decades. About 36 million or so votes. The amount of wide scale fraud in that peiod of time? A grand total of 22 votes,

I'd also like to point out that the hypothetical benefit of fraudulently voting is next to nothing unless you do it in some kind of grand massive scale (which you almost have to be a poll worker or supervisor to do and act in a conspiracy with others - which these "voting security" measures don't actually address in any way).

Add to that, the penalty for getting caught is extremely high.

Put it to you this way: would you steal a jelly doughnut if the penalty for getting caught was 10 years in prison? Presume you like jelly doughnuts.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Nobody should react negatively to wanting to make elections safer, why wouldn't you want them to be safer regardless of previous cases? You wouldn't. I find your last point to be completely irrelevant.

There is a test you can do when you hear a republican jabbering on about voter id. Tell them the government should pay for these ids and see what the response will be.

Actually, that brings up a question:

If the Democrats added a component to the For the People Act that started requiring voter ID, but also included funds to pay for some means to ensure that those IDs were free of charge and provide some means of getting such IDs out to people with some degree of expediency, would the Dems be able to punch it through the Senate with Reconciliation, since it would affect the budget?
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

If the Democrats added a component to the For the People Act that started requiring voter ID, but also included funds to pay for some means to ensure that those IDs were free of charge and provide some means of getting such IDs out to people with some degree of expediency, would the Dems be able to punch it through the Senate with Reconciliation, since it would affect the budget?

Watching McConnell through the years? Not really.

You see usually when there is an effort to fix something. A problem was identified. The republican voting security measures are a solution in search of a problem.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:57 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

You see usually when there is an effort to fix something. A problem was identified. The republican voting security measures are a solution in search of a problem.

What I mean is that if they kept all the stuff in the For the People Act, like all those mandates and such, and included the bit on the ID AND also stuck in government funding to facilitate getting those IDs to people, would they be able to use Reconciliation for it since it affects the budget? Would that not allow them to push it through whether Mitch likes it or not?

I'm guessing it's more complicated, because I'd think they'd have done something like that already, if it were so easy.
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:It doesn’t affect everyone equally any more than banning disabled access ramps for buildings affects everyone equally. Sure, it applies to everyone, but that doesn’t make its effects fair or equitable for the people who actually live under the system.

I mean, I’m sure it’s easy to tell all those people who work on Tuesdays to use up one of their precious few sick days to go vote. Or to tell all those people who can’t afford to take time out of their day to wait four hours in a DPS line to pay their own money for a voter ID to just find the time. Or to tell the millions of people who live in counties where there’s one polling place for tens of thousands of residents or for miles around to just move somewhere else. Or tell the people who are actually, literally disabled to hustle up and make it to the ballot box like everybody else.

You could certainly do all those things, and in doing so somehow convince yourself that erecting barriers to voting is somehow a good thing. I don’t understand why you’d do that, nor why you might assume the people I have in mind when I say I want easy access to voting are automatically black (in your, definitely random example choice of group, that is totally not at all projecting), but you do you.
Last edited by Omniabstracta on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Imagine if a law were passed that targeted people with the name "Jamal," or people who wear do-rags. Now, anyone of any race can be named Jamal in theory. Anyone of any race can wear do-rags. But the fact is, the policy disproportionately targets certain races because certain races have higher proportions of people with that name or article of clothing. Is that racist, even if somehow the intent is not?
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsole ... -election/

Trump is claiming that the election in Virginia will have been rigged if Republicans lose.

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:30 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/07/12/trump-sows-doubts-about-upcoming-virginia-governors-election/

Trump is claiming that the election in Virginia will have been rigged if Republicans lose.

In other more important news, the sky is still blue.
Last edited by The Temple of the Computer on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:33 pm

https://www.virginiamercury.com/blog-va ... o-skip-it/

Virginia Bar Association cancels debate after Youngkin chooses to skip it. Refusing to debate your opponent is never a winning strategy.

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:12 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Nobody should react negatively to wanting to make elections safer, why wouldn't you want them to be safer regardless of previous cases? You wouldn't. I find your last point to be completely irrelevant.

So long as we only issue one ID per social security card, I'd be all for that.

Jeriga
Diplomat

Founded: May 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeriga » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Man this thread is wild. From purposely starving children to thinly veiled racism, we've got it all in the last 3 pages.
I'd be a real socialist if I thought it could actually work.

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Jeriga wrote:Man this thread is wild. From purposely starving children to thinly veiled racism, we've got it all in the last 3 pages.

The starving kids thing was a DOS
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Voter ID is completely useless. In both USA and UK, voter fraud is done with postal votes. If postal vote fraud were ever dealt with, then the fraudsters might try in person voter fraud and ID might then be useful, but I ain't holding my breath.

Likewise, my wallet was stolen once in my lifetime. If they have ID laws, my wallet will be stolen every 4 years.
Last edited by Auristania on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Auristania wrote:Voter ID is completely useless. In both USA and UK, voter fraud is done with postal votes. If postal vote fraud were ever dealt with, then the fraudsters might try in person voter fraud and ID might then be useful, but I ain't holding my breath.

Then wouldn't it make sense to restrict postal votes where doing so would not have too much of a disparate impact?

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:16 pm

Kowani wrote:looooool

With Republican-backed voting bills moving rapidly through a special session of the state Legislature, Texas Democrats are planning to make a break for it — again.

At least 58 Democratic members of the state House of Representatives are expected to bolt from Austin on Monday in an effort to block the measures from advancing, a source familiar with the plans told NBC News. The unusual move, akin to what Democrats did in 2003, would paralyze the chamber, stopping business until the lawmakers return to town or the session ends.

The majority of the members plan to fly to Washington, D.C., on two private jets chartered for the occasion and use the time there to rally support for federal voting legislation, the source said. Others will make their own way.

The lawmakers risk arrest in taking flight. Under the Texas Constitution, the Legislature requires a quorum of two-thirds of lawmakers be present to conduct state business in either chamber. Absent lawmakers can be legally compelled to return to the Capitol, and the source said Democrats expect state Republicans to ask the Department of Public Safety to track them down. “It's really exciting to see Democrats taking a bold move with this potential walkout,” Carisa Lopez, political director for civil liberties group Texas Freedom Network, said.

House Democrats already staged one successful walkout to defeat election legislation prioritized by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott. Members quietly left the House floor in the final minutes of the regular legislative session that ended in May, breaking quorum and forcing Republicans to adjourn without passing the key agenda item. But that victory was always likely to be short-lived, as Republicans control both legislative chambers. Abbott kept his vow to call a special session, which began July 8.

Republicans didn't waste time. Lawmakers advanced a pair of voting measures — House Bill 3 and Senate Bill 1 — Sunday after marathon committee hearings in both chambers, with the House hearing lasting nearly 24 hours. Both panels featured members of the public waiting hours to give testimony in the middle of the night. Floor votes were expected to take place as soon as this week. Both bills would add new identification requirements for mail voting, ban some early voting options and create new criminal penalties for breaking election code while empowering partisan poll watchers.

To block the currently pending legislation, the Democratic lawmakers would have to remain away through the end of the special session, which can last as many as 30 days under the state’s constitution.

And they're off!
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Illu-chi
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Illu-chi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm

I'm confused what every on is talking about. Is this it?

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB6/id/234 ... duced.html

Kowani
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

What I mean is that if they kept all the stuff in the For the People Act, like all those mandates and such, and included the bit on the ID AND also stuck in government funding to facilitate getting those IDs to people, would they be able to use Reconciliation for it since it affects the budget? Would that not allow them to push it through whether Mitch likes it or not?

I'm guessing it's more complicated, because I'd think they'd have done something like that already, if it were so easy.

No. Byrd Rule means it can't merely be "incidental" to the budget. So the voter ID program would get through under your scheme, but almost everything else would get scrapped.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Historian, of sorts.

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/07/12/trump-sows-doubts-about-upcoming-virginia-governors-election/

Haha haha he’s literally just gonna forecast an if/then, huh? I mean, I’m not surprised.

Kowani
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:22 pm

Illu-chi wrote:I'm confused what every on is talking about. Is this it?

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB6/id/234 ... duced.html

No.
The House version is this one, the Senate Bill this one.

Yours is from the previous session and has seen some changes to make it slightly less horrific
Last edited by Kowani on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Historian, of sorts.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:22 pm

Sincluda wrote:

Haha haha he’s literally just gonna forecast an if/then, huh? I mean, I’m not surprised.

Do you really think Trump knows how to code?
FUCK ISRAEL FUCK THE GENOCIDE FREE PALESTINE (they/them)
"Genocide, after all, is an exercise in community building." - Philip Gourevitch
NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General