NATION

PASSWORD

L.A. City Council Votes to Ban Commerce in Arizona

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri May 14, 2010 12:39 am

Copiosa Scotia wrote:
Mendeleevia wrote:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/05/la-city-council-votes-to-ban-travel-and-future-contracts-with-arizona-because-of-tough-new-immigrati.html

So what are your thoughts on this "embargo" of sorts? Is it legal? Is it right? And did they really need to Godwin the whole population of Arizona?

It's actually pretty hilariously in violation of the Commerce Clause. Hilariously, because it's the one scenario that pretty much everyone educated to a Con Law I level, regardless of their personal politics, should agree on. Or I'm drunk. One of the two is certainly true.

Excuse me? How is it even remotely illegally (let alone a violation of the Commerce Clause) for the City of Los Angeles to say THE CITY will no longer do business with Arizona?

I'm not sure of the wisdom of (or the language used to support) this boycott, but I agree that the Arizona law is reprehensible, racist, and unconstitutional.

Regardless, the City of LA is well within their rights to stop city travel to or city buisness with Arizona.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Copiosa Scotia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Copiosa Scotia » Fri May 14, 2010 12:49 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Copiosa Scotia wrote:
Mendeleevia wrote:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/05/la-city-council-votes-to-ban-travel-and-future-contracts-with-arizona-because-of-tough-new-immigrati.html

So what are your thoughts on this "embargo" of sorts? Is it legal? Is it right? And did they really need to Godwin the whole population of Arizona?

It's actually pretty hilariously in violation of the Commerce Clause. Hilariously, because it's the one scenario that pretty much everyone educated to a Con Law I level, regardless of their personal politics, should agree on. Or I'm drunk. One of the two is certainly true.

Excuse me? How is it even remotely illegally (let alone a violation of the Commerce Clause) for the City of Los Angeles to say THE CITY will no longer do business with Arizona?

I'm not sure of the wisdom of (or the language used to support) this boycott, but I agree that the Arizona law is reprehensible, racist, and unconstitutional.

Regardless, the City of LA is well within their rights to stop city travel to or city buisness with Arizona.

That's why I offered the second possibility, and I'm certainly willing to accept that it's the truer of the two. I was firing from the hip based on a (probably ill-formed) dormant Commerce Clause argument and my analysis of a prior unrelated Arizona boycott, and I'm not terribly surprised that I've gone wrong. That's why you're the lawyer and I'm the student trying to kill time between finals. Nevertheless, I appreciate the correction.
Last edited by Copiosa Scotia on Fri May 14, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Return to General