NATION

PASSWORD

The Dark Witch: An Issue Regarding Sentencing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What sentence do you vote for? Please justify in light of fairness, personal views and policy goals.

1. No further punishment, warned and released
9%
2. A set number of weeks/months/years of mandatory community service
4%
3. Hospitalization for mental illness
17%
4. ~1-2 years in magical jail
9%
5. ~5 years in magical jail
4%
6. ~10 years in magical jail
9%
7. ~20 years in magical jail
17%
8. Life imprisonment
9%
9. Death penalty
17%
10. Other
4%

Total votes : 23

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Two wrongs don't make a right.

Are you dying to school should also be sued then?

Possibly.

Presuming this world has magical police (those are going to be necessary in any world with magic), when the witch became trapped in the mirror they, as a perpetrator, were disabled. At this point, force likely to cause grievous bodily harm is not authorized. Similarly, if they had extracted her from the mirror with binding spells capable of holding her, then draining her of her magic was not necessary either - as they had her effectively restrained. Again, force likely to cause grievous bodily harm is not authorized.

If there were a heat of the moment drain - as in, she's hurling fireballs and lightning bolts and in an effort to stop her they drained her, that would be different - as it would be self defense. What you described was not self defense.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 am

The Holy Therns wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
How does it work?

If trauma happens but justice is served, that doesn't erase the experience of trauma in any conceivable way. If I'm terrorized by a terrible person but manage to turn the tables at the end, do you think I will simply forget that terror?

From my understanding of myself

If I get massively and unfairly stepped on by a boss repeatedly and I feel I never got the upper hand, I will get traumatized

But if the same thing happened but in the end I massively turn the table and end up doing far more damage, I wouldn’t be traumatized because I would see it as a win and not a loss

I can’t speak for all contexts

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 am

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Are you dying to school should also be sued then?

Possibly.

Presuming this world has magical police (those are going to be necessary in any world with magic), when the witch became trapped in the mirror they, as a perpetrator, were disabled. At this point, force likely to cause grievous bodily harm is not authorized. Similarly, if they had extracted her from the mirror with binding spells capable of holding her, then draining her of her magic was not necessary either - as they had her effectively restrained. Again, force likely to cause grievous bodily harm is not authorized.

If there were a heat of the moment drain - as in, she's hurling fireballs and lightning bolts and in an effort to stop her they drained her, that would be different - as it would be self defense. What you described was not self defense.

They lifted her out of the mirror to ask her some questions and also to punish her, utilizing the harsh pro-property-owner rights of the school in the wizarding world. Once she was lifted out of the mirror, it is unclear whether or not she MAY have been able to escape from the levitating bind eventually in the absence of a magical drain, but the drain was a bit of a disproportionate act.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:38 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Possibly.

They lifted her out of the mirror to ask her some questions and also to punish her, utilizing the harsh pro-property-owner rights of the school in the wizarding world.

And punishing is a matter that should be left to the courts. If you are saying that they ARE the court, then I would argue an alternate court of competent jurisdiction should do the punishing, as the aggrieved party should not be the one to do sentencing.

Once she was lifted out of the mirror, it is unclear whether or not she MAY have been able to escape from the levitating bind eventually in the absence of a magical drain, but the drain was a bit of a disproportionate act.

Then they should have left her in the mirror until the police arrived.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:41 am

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
They lifted her out of the mirror to ask her some questions and also to punish her, utilizing the harsh pro-property-owner rights of the school in the wizarding world.

And punishing is a matter that should be left to the courts. If you are saying that they ARE the court, then I would argue an alternate court of competent jurisdiction should do the punishing, as the aggrieved party should not be the one to do sentencing.

Once she was lifted out of the mirror, it is unclear whether or not she MAY have been able to escape from the levitating bind eventually in the absence of a magical drain, but the drain was a bit of a disproportionate act.

because there's a tendency for the aggrieved party to go overboard?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:And punishing is a matter that should be left to the courts. If you are saying that they ARE the court, then I would argue an alternate court of competent jurisdiction should do the punishing, as the aggrieved party should not be the one to do sentencing.

Yes. Obviously.

As a pretend law student you should know why the legal system was set up with a neutral arbiter in both civil and criminal cases.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:06 am

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Yes. Obviously.

As a pretend law student you should know why the legal system was set up with a neutral arbiter in both civil and criminal cases.

My 3 years in law school and my one unfortunate year in practice as an articled student have left me heavily traumatized. It was beyond horrific.

I honestly don’t want to talk about it.

Lady Victory
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:28 am

What a wild ride. I'm just happy to be here.

Life in prison for trying to kill children alone.
☆ American Left-wing Nationalist and Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
"Fascism is not to be debated, it is to be destroyed!"

She/Her - Call me Jenny or LV

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Lady Victory wrote:What a wild ride. I'm just happy to be here.

Life in prison for trying to kill children alone.

even though no one was killed? Intent was enough?

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:04 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Cetacea wrote:the electric eels were just a tad unrealistic dont you think :)

However for the assault and attempted murder of an 11 year old the punishment would warrant at least 10 years inside the Mirror. Compound that with breaking and entering, destruction of property and three cases of telekinetic binding, she may well be liable for more, though I might allow 10 years non-parole then good behaviour warranting an additional 10 years of community service to the school

PS I think IMs scenarios have become my favourite part of NSG, certainly less depressing than politics :)

After her ordeal, she’s become really scared of mirrors.

Also, 20 years total? It’s very heavy. Not to mention... isn’t the school going to be really unbearably smug when the community service part comes up?

Would the magic be returned to her eventually or not?

I think 20 years is fair given it involves the attempted murder of 2 children and trauma afflicted on the teacher too. Besides she would spend the second 10 years in relative freedom serving the school.

The school administration might well be quite smug, but that too would be intended to reinforce to her that great power requires great responsibility - a subsuming of ones own ego to the service of others. If she proves herself reformed I might allow her to teach her skills to the students and return her a due level of power…
Last edited by Cetacea on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Force her to become the "personal assistant" of the headmaster... (or that one really pervy kid for a few years. She'll learn a thing or two about boundaries pretty quick. :P lol) Additionally force her to help the school as well as other students with things like studying etc.. I mean this is a world of magic, anything is possible. Prevent her from harming anyone, that isn't in defense of herself or others, for at least a few years after all that.
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:06 pm

James_xenoland wrote:Force her to become the "personal assistant" of the headmaster... (or that one really pervy kid for a few years. She'll learn a thing or two about boundaries pretty quick. :P lol) Additionally force her to help the school as well as other students with things like studying etc.. I mean this is a world of magic, anything is possible. Prevent her from harming anyone, that isn't in defense of herself or others, for at least a few years after all that.

A few years as in less than 5?

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
James_xenoland wrote:Force her to become the "personal assistant" of the headmaster... (or that one really pervy kid for a few years. She'll learn a thing or two about boundaries pretty quick. :P lol) Additionally force her to help the school as well as other students with things like studying etc.. I mean this is a world of magic, anything is possible. Prevent her from harming anyone, that isn't in defense of herself or others, for at least a few years after all that.

No, didn't mean it literally. It could be as long as the magic court is allowed to give. Hell, if the crime was severe enough, make it indefinite. Only being lifted after a certain amount of time, IF conditions are met.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:53 pm

James_xenoland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

No, didn't mean it literally. It could be as long as the magic court is allowed to give. Hell, if the crime was severe enough, make it indefinite. Only being lifted after a certain amount of time, IF conditions are met.

Oh I see. And in your view, how many years would it be fair for the court to issue?

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
James_xenoland wrote:No, didn't mean it literally. It could be as long as the magic court is allowed to give. Hell, if the crime was severe enough, make it indefinite. Only being lifted after a certain amount of time, IF conditions are met.

Oh I see. And in your view, how many years would it be fair for the court to issue?

For the crimes in this case.. I'd say ~10 years.. and remember that this is after the primary punishment and more like probation. I mean the only real effect is that they can't harm others or do general bad.

Edit: Oh wait, I totally forgot that I used "a few years" twice in my original post. For the first part, actually forcing her to do something, I would make it at least ~4-5 years.. With an additional ~10 or so under protection (to others) spell.
Last edited by James_xenoland on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---

---

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:28 pm

James_xenoland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

For the crimes in this case.. I'd say ~10 years.. and remember that this is after the primary punishment and more like probation. I mean the only real effect is that they can't harm others or do general bad.

Edit: Oh wait, I totally forgot that I used "a few years" twice in my original post. For the first part, actually forcing her to do something, I would make it at least ~4-5 years.. With an additional ~10 or so under protection (to others) spell.

I see. The main issue I take with your sentence is that there’s a high risk of psychological trauma for the witch. :(

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General