NATION

PASSWORD

The Dark Witch: An Issue Regarding Sentencing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What sentence do you vote for? Please justify in light of fairness, personal views and policy goals.

1. No further punishment, warned and released
9%
2. A set number of weeks/months/years of mandatory community service
4%
3. Hospitalization for mental illness
17%
4. ~1-2 years in magical jail
9%
5. ~5 years in magical jail
4%
6. ~10 years in magical jail
9%
7. ~20 years in magical jail
17%
8. Life imprisonment
9%
9. Death penalty
17%
10. Other
4%

Total votes : 23

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 am

I think magical Columbine isn't the best setting for a scenario, just saying.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 am

If a psych evaluation sees her diagnosed as mentally ill then hospitalization and treatment for sure. In the other case 10 to 20 years or if rehabilitation seems unlikely life.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:37 am

Heloin wrote:I think magical Columbine isn't the best setting for a scenario, just saying.

C... Columbine????

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:I think magical Columbine isn't the best setting for a scenario, just saying.

C... Columbine????

I skimmed through the OP but that was my takeaway.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
C... Columbine????

I skimmed through the OP but that was my takeaway.

No one dies.

The Dauntless Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dauntless Union » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 am

If you're stupid enough to attack a school and the children within it, you should be made to rot away for the rest of your pathetic life contemplating what you did and how moronic you were.
"I love submarines!" - Some meme I saw | Execution by submarine is popular | Sick of seafood

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:43 am

The Two Jerseys wrote:Anyone dumb enough to get Home Aloned by a couple kids deserves the death penalty.

I mean... could happen to anyone.

Kids can be really nimble and quick-thinking, and the hamster can catch people off guard. Plus the strange surrounding of magical objects.

The witch isn’t the smartest but it’s not the most unacceptable loss.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:43 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:I skimmed through the OP but that was my takeaway.

No one dies.

Columbine, except the attacker is both magical and incompetent.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 am

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
No one dies.

Columbine, except the attacker is both magical and incompetent.

But there was no bullying...

The Dauntless Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dauntless Union » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Columbine, except the attacker is both magical and incompetent.

I think he's going from the whole attacking children angle more then the mental reasoning behind it angle
"I love submarines!" - Some meme I saw | Execution by submarine is popular | Sick of seafood

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Columbine, except the attacker is both magical and incompetent.

There wasn’t any in Columbine either.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

There wasn’t any in Columbine either.

I mean, this isn’t a plan of mass murder. It’s a heist that got escalated. I’m not sure the dynamic is the same.

The starting and end points don’t align.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:49 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:There wasn’t any in Columbine either.

I mean, this isn’t a plan of mass murder. It’s a heist that got escalated. I’m not sure the dynamic is the same.

Given the entire escalation happened when the powerful witch got accidentally knocked down by a toy ball, she should have put a few points into CON or DEX.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 am

Galloism wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Given the entire escalation happened when the powerful witch got accidentally knocked down by a toy ball, she should have put a few points into CON or DEX.

What are those? Medicines?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Galloism wrote:Given the entire escalation happened when the powerful witch got accidentally knocked down by a toy ball, she should have put a few points into CON or DEX.

What are those? Medicines?

If I have to explain the joke, it is no longer funny.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 am

the electric eels were just a tad unrealistic dont you think :)

However for the assault and attempted murder of an 11 year old the punishment would warrant at least 10 years inside the Mirror. Compound that with breaking and entering, destruction of property and three cases of telekinetic binding, she may well be liable for more, though I might allow 10 years non-parole then good behaviour warranting an additional 10 years of community service to the school

PS I think IMs scenarios have become my favourite part of NSG, certainly less depressing than politics :)

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 am

Azkaban
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:12 am

Neanderthaland wrote:Azkaban

No redemption for her in book 7 at the wall for how she faced the white walkers?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Cetacea wrote:the electric eels were just a tad unrealistic dont you think :)

However for the assault and attempted murder of an 11 year old the punishment would warrant at least 10 years inside the Mirror. Compound that with breaking and entering, destruction of property and three cases of telekinetic binding, she may well be liable for more, though I might allow 10 years non-parole then good behaviour warranting an additional 10 years of community service to the school

PS I think IMs scenarios have become my favourite part of NSG, certainly less depressing than politics :)

After her ordeal, she’s become really scared of mirrors.

Also, 20 years total? It’s very heavy. Not to mention... isn’t the school going to be really unbearably smug when the community service part comes up?

Would the magic be returned to her eventually or not?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:28 pm

Andsed wrote:If a psych evaluation sees her diagnosed as mentally ill then hospitalization and treatment for sure. In the other case 10 to 20 years or if rehabilitation seems unlikely life.

and how would you assess whether rehabilitation seems likely or not?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:56 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
And in your view what ballpark would you say the years should be in?

Well, the witch threw projectiles at minor children and bound them (which, incidentally, is considered a false imprisonment); her reluctance also suggests a lack of remorse... these would be generally considered aggravating factors; she also committed burglary and criminal damage while armed with a deadly weapon (her own magic), and she herself is of the age to have a fully developed prefrontal cortex.

I would say ten years, with a recommendation to not be considered for release until at least two-thirds of the sentence (in the UK, burglary alone can get 14, while burglary with an offensive weapon can get life; and criminal damage ten; false imprisonment also carries twelve years). I would have probably leaned more towards a more lenient sentence, but then the witch attacked the children and falsely imprisoned them.

EDIT: Although, if the witch has not been psychiatrically assessed, that should be done. She cannot be just "hospitalised for mental illness" (as one option has it) on the off-chance, but were psychiatrists to decide she was experiencing mental health issues that led to her crime (because that is far from true for all or even most mental health issues), I would not object to her being detained in a secure unit for as long as it took for her to be helped.

What do you mean by her reluctance?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:00 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Well, the witch threw projectiles at minor children and bound them (which, incidentally, is considered a false imprisonment); her reluctance also suggests a lack of remorse... these would be generally considered aggravating factors; she also committed burglary and criminal damage while armed with a deadly weapon (her own magic), and she herself is of the age to have a fully developed prefrontal cortex.

I would say ten years, with a recommendation to not be considered for release until at least two-thirds of the sentence (in the UK, burglary alone can get 14, while burglary with an offensive weapon can get life; and criminal damage ten; false imprisonment also carries twelve years). I would have probably leaned more towards a more lenient sentence, but then the witch attacked the children and falsely imprisoned them.

EDIT: Although, if the witch has not been psychiatrically assessed, that should be done. She cannot be just "hospitalised for mental illness" (as one option has it) on the off-chance, but were psychiatrists to decide she was experiencing mental health issues that led to her crime (because that is far from true for all or even most mental health issues), I would not object to her being detained in a secure unit for as long as it took for her to be helped.

To write the lines (which technically, was a waste of time as the police should have just been called to take her away). It adds to her overall demeanour suggesting she feels no remorse.

Well, that and she attacked children, and chased them around a building while hurling projectiles and plotting vengeance because they lost control of a ball... That also suggests a fairly remorseless attitude.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:21 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

To write the lines (which technically, was a waste of time as the police should have just been called to take her away). It adds to her overall demeanour suggesting she feels no remorse.

Well, that and she attacked children, and chased them around a building while hurling projectiles and plotting vengeance because they lost control of a ball... That also suggests a fairly remorseless attitude.

I understand the second point, but with the first point... wouldn't writing the lines help rather than hurt her case? She cooperated with the writing of the lines.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:To write the lines (which technically, was a waste of time as the police should have just been called to take her away). It adds to her overall demeanour suggesting she feels no remorse.

I understand the second point, but with the first point... wouldn't writing the lines help rather than hurt her case? She cooperated with the writing of the lines.

Very reluctantly. You say she was sullen and it took her may hours:
Infected Mushroom wrote:The sullen witch eventually finishes writing but it takes many hours.
This does not suggest any remorse. Lack of remorse is an aggravating factor when calculating charges.

It also was unnecessary busywork as anyone who invades a school or attacks a child should be turned straight over to the police -- no exceptions -- and the full-force of the law be brought down upon them (unless they are found to be legally incompetent, in which case they can be committed to a secure unit).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Very reluctantly. You say she was sullen and it took her may hours:
Infected Mushroom wrote:The sullen witch eventually finishes writing but it takes many hours.
This does not suggest any remorse. Lack of remorse is an aggravating factor when calculating charges.

It also was unnecessary busywork as anyone who invades a school or attacks a child should be turned straight over to the police -- no exceptions -- and the full-force of the law be brought down upon them (unless they are found to be legally incompetent, in which case they can be committed to a secure unit).

1,000 repetitions of a paragraph by hand using quill and parchment is going to take more than a whole evening (in fact, I'm not even sure it's physically possible). And I think anyone writing that out is not going to look too happy.

Have you ever done any lines in school? I think I was assigned 200 or something (and it was one sentence) and it still took tons of time.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General