NATION

PASSWORD

What if Columbus was the first...?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:If it were only so simple as an analogy. But it isn't. They were weaker, they lost. People need to get over it.

So if I'm stronger than you that gives me moral right to your property? Or does this only apply to mobs of people rather than individuals?

Never said anything about morals. People need to stop attaching their PC-naive feelings to wars in the past. I swear, I'm going to start getting all misty-eyed that no one cares about the Visigoths and their plight.

yes you did.

what other reason did you have for posting a human sacrifice picture?

To remind you atrocities may be subjective, since you don't seem to care about the hundreds of thousands killed by the innocent Aztecs.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 am

Southern Patriots wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:If it were only so simple as an analogy. But it isn't. They were weaker, they lost. People need to get over it.

hey you are the one who implied that it was a matter of good europeans dealing with the evil natives.

what would "getting over it" involve?

Never said good and evil. Point out where I attached those labels.
And "getting over it" involves not whining about the natives losing in wars. There are plenty of contemporary cultures that could use your sympathy so they don't get wiped out.

again, what was your reason for posting a human sacrifice picture if not to justify the european conquest?
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am

Southern Patriots wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:

So if I'm stronger than you that gives me moral right to your property? Or does this only apply to mobs of people rather than individuals?

Never said anything about morals. People need to stop attaching their PC-naive feelings to wars in the past. I swear, I'm going to start getting all misty-eyed that no one cares about the Visigoths and their plight.

yes you did.

what other reason did you have for posting a human sacrifice picture?

To remind you atrocities may be subjective, since you don't seem to care about the hundreds of thousands killed by the innocent Aztecs.

the aztecs are their own people. their moral failings really dont reflect on anyone but themselves.

and who said anything about anyone being innocent? all i have said and have seen anyone else say is that the europeans were not the good guys in this thing. pretending that they had any but bad motives for their conquest of the americas is wrong.
whatever

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am

Ashmoria wrote:the aztecs are their own people. their moral failings really dont reflect on anyone but themselves.

The Aztecs ran a tribute empire on the backs of their neighbours. That's how the small Spanish force managed to get so many allies.

I'm not backing the oafish "They were mean so we were doing the right thing by invading them" argument, just saying.
Last edited by Tokos on Thu May 13, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 11:56 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

hey you are the one who implied that it was a matter of good europeans dealing with the evil natives.

what would "getting over it" involve?

Never said good and evil. Point out where I attached those labels.
And "getting over it" involves not whining about the natives losing in wars. There are plenty of contemporary cultures that could use your sympathy so they don't get wiped out.

again, what was your reason for posting a human sacrifice picture if not to justify the european conquest?

Perhaps to put the atrocities in perspective, so you'd understand that more natives met their end at the blade of another native than at the blade or gun of a European.
Its frankly racist to blame everything on Europeans for killing natives when more natives killed each other than were killed by Euros.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

(WIP)

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Thu May 13, 2010 11:56 am

Southern Patriots wrote:Never said anything about morals. People need to stop attaching their PC-naive feelings to wars in the past. I swear, I'm going to start getting all misty-eyed that no one cares about the Visigoths and their plight.

So you don't consider it morally right? In what sense was it right at all?

As soon as someone suggests that the destruction of the Visigothic kingdom was a good thing maybe you'd have a point in making that defence.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Tokos wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the aztecs are their own people. their moral failings really dont reflect on anyone but themselves.

The Aztecs ran a tribute empire on the backs of their neighbours. That's how the small Spanish force managed to get so many allies.

I'm not backing the oafish "They were mean so we were doing the right thing by invading them" argument, just saying.

interesting bits of history are always welcome.

the aztecs had a true empire. that generates enemies.
whatever

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Cosmopoles wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:Never said anything about morals. People need to stop attaching their PC-naive feelings to wars in the past. I swear, I'm going to start getting all misty-eyed that no one cares about the Visigoths and their plight.

So you don't consider it morally right? In what sense was it right at all?

As soon as someone suggests that the destruction of the Visigothic kingdom was a good thing maybe you'd have a point in making that defence.

I think people acting like the natives are innocent and the conquest of the Americas was unjust are being naive. Attach whatever morals you want to whatever orifice you choose.
And you all suggest the destruction of the Visigoths was a good thing, because I've yet to hear anyone say one nice thing about them.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Tokos wrote:

Thats not my argument either. Only a moron would save the Aztecs were invaded to liberate the Tlaxcalans. I'm saying there is no moral highground to be fought over. Wars happen, the victors conquer and the defeated are vanquished. No sense crying over it and blaming people.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Thu May 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:I think people acting like the natives are innocent and the conquest of the Americas was unjust are being naive. Attach whatever morals you want to whatever orifice you choose.

Do you consider the conquest of the Americas morally right or not? Its a simple question.

And you all suggest the destruction of the Visigoths was a good thing, because I've yet to hear anyone say one nice thing about them.

This is a total non sequitur.

The Dutch State
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dutch State » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Viperco1 wrote:What if Christopher Columbus was the person who actually discovered the Americas? What if there were no natives? How would the world be different?

He would still be a complete idiot.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:but religious tolerance and freedom is what made the conquest of the new world worthwhile. without that incentive, why would anyone else bother?

Fixed it.

For all the sobbing over the natives losing wars (like thats a first in human history), people would be singing a different song if these guys were still around practicing their hobbies.

Yeah, it's a good thing these guys:

Won...
Such heroic nonsense!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:
Tokos wrote:

Thats not my argument either. Only a moron would save the Aztecs were invaded to liberate the Tlaxcalans. I'm saying there is no moral highground to be fought over. Wars happen, the victors conquer and the defeated are vanquished. No sense crying over it and blaming people.

people are people and as such are a mix of good and bad. native americans are as capable of evil as europeans are; that is part of being human.

but there is no sense pretending that there is a moral equivalence between those fighting for their homes and those fighting to take those homes.
whatever

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Tekania wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:but religious tolerance and freedom is what made the conquest of the new world worthwhile. without that incentive, why would anyone else bother?

Fixed it.

For all the sobbing over the natives losing wars (like thats a first in human history), people would be singing a different song if these guys were still around practicing their hobbies.

Yeah, it's a good thing these guys:

Won...

Thats sort of my point. Neither side is innocent, so there is no point lamenting the loss of one or condemning the victory of the other. :palm:

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Tokos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

This is exactly what I meant by oafish arguments. Saying "Well, it's better/worse that these guys got control of the place because of political freedoms/GDP several hundred years down the line" is… nonsensical.

Maybe we should exterminate the Pashtuns and send Swedes and Swiss to Afghanistan so in a few hundred years' time there will be a country with lovely human rights and rich banks?

You see? Silly logical, it's.

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:
Tokos wrote:

people are people and as such are a mix of good and bad. native americans are as capable of evil as europeans are; that is part of being human.

but there is no sense pretending that there is a moral equivalence between those fighting for their homes and those fighting to take those homes.

I'll play ball with this idea. Can you prove to me that the natives never attacked the homes of colonists or settler and/or killed women and children?

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Tokos wrote:This is exactly what I meant by oafish arguments. Saying "Well, it's better/worse that these guys got control of the place because of political freedoms/GDP several hundred years down the line" is… nonsensical.

Maybe we should exterminate the Pashtuns and send Swedes and Swiss to Afghanistan so in a few hundred years' time there will be a country with lovely human rights and rich banks?

Are you addressing me? Because I'm saying there is no better or worse, there simply is.

Although your idea about the Pashtun may be worth it in the long run... :?

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Tokos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu May 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:Are you addressing me? Because I'm saying there is no better or worse, there simply is.

I was not addressing you. Your post appeared as I was typing (was addressing the gallery in general, though).

What's wrong with Pashtuns? I wouldn't like to live there, but they don't seem to bother anyone except each other.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu May 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:Thats sort of my point. Neither side is innocent, so there is no point lamenting the loss of one or condemning the victory of the other. :palm:

Not really, your example is the Aztecs, mine represents, well... pretty much all of Europe... Most of the native tribes did not engage in human sacrifice, on the flips side it would be hard to find a European Nation in that time frame who did NOT engage in religious persecution and the execution of heretics and the like.
Such heroic nonsense!

The RAWR
Civilian

Founded: May 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The RAWR » Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Tokos wrote:This is exactly what I meant by oafish arguments. Saying "Well, it's better/worse that these guys got control of the place because of political freedoms/GDP several hundred years down the line" is… nonsensical.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea..besides the whole "exterminate" and all.

Consaria
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Consaria » Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

It would take a whole lot longer to get across the US and a whole lot harder to survive.
THE XI COMMANDMENT
Thou shall not use the AK-47 as their military's main assault weapon, as the AKM is superior in all ways, including price.
Consarian Government Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41
Factbook
Tropical Industries

Personal Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Tokos wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:Are you addressing me? Because I'm saying there is no better or worse, there simply is.

I was not addressing you. Your post appeared as I was typing (was addressing the gallery in general, though).

What's wrong with Pashtuns? I wouldn't like to live there, but they don't seem to bother anyone except each other.

Yes, they are an interesting people. I'm just concerned about so many joining the Taliban. :(
But that's a matter for another thread.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Tokos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm

The Taliban are from the American perspective what the Aztec priests were to the Europeans - completely irrelevant unless you actually in their home territory.

Southern Patriots
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu May 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Tekania wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:Thats sort of my point. Neither side is innocent, so there is no point lamenting the loss of one or condemning the victory of the other. :palm:

Not really, your example is the Aztecs, mine represents, well... pretty much all of Europe... Most of the native tribes did not engage in human sacrifice, on the flips side it would be hard to find a European Nation in that time frame who did NOT engage in religious persecution and the execution of heretics and the like.

The French, Dutch, and Swedish come to mind as not being overly violent with the natives, and dealing with them in a friendly fashion. And if you claim one incident (the Aztecs) does not condemn a whole group, you shouldn't pass a picture of Jews being hung as the actions of all Europeans on all natives.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:

Ceannairceach wrote:

(WIP)

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu May 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Southern Patriots wrote:
Tekania wrote:

The French, Dutch, and Swedish come to mind as not being overly violent with the natives, and dealing with them in a friendly fashion. And if you claim one incident (the Aztecs) does not condemn a whole group, you shouldn't pass a picture of Jews being hung as the actions of all Europeans on all natives.

I wasn't referring to the treatment of natives by Europeans. I was referring of blood spilled by Europeans, including with one another.
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General