NATION

PASSWORD

Alcohol Discussion Thread I: Drunk Spirits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should drinking alcohol be legal?

Yes.
75%
No.
25%

Total votes : 77

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:35 am

Personal possession and use of a substance should never be illegal, period. If a person wants to mainline rat poison, that's their business. I'm not opposed to regulating the selling side to the extent that vendors are obligated to refrain from selling to minors and that they must keep adulterants out of their substances and truthfully disclose ingredients, dose, and purity of what they sell, but that's it. We should pursue policies of education and harm reduction rather than prohibition.

As to alcohol specifically, it is indeed quite more harmful than many universally illegal substances, and while I oppose prohibition altogether I acknowledge as many do that it's absurd for alcohol to be on the legal side of the arbitrary line while governments ban or try to ban much safer substances like psychedelics. Alcohol does damage but it also brings many people enjoyment and is part of the culture of billions.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am

Considering how fucking easy it is to make booze and that people have been making booze since before agriculture, it is stupid to make it illegal.

I'm in favour of making it regulated, age-restricted and taxed and I think it is important to educate people about it and encourage safe consumption, but adults should be able to enjoy a bevvie if they want.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am

Castellum Roma wrote:Alcohol is for posers.

The new fab in town is getting vaccinated. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You can do both, you know. After we got vaccinated, my partner and I went out for celebratory beers.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am

The only needle that'll get you high is heroin and maybe a few other drugs. The vaccine got me low for a day.

Don't do heroin kids. Get high on the swings...just kidding that's dangerous too.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The UK Prime Minister seems willing for people to die from Covid just to get the pubs open, so I can't see it being banned here. But I do hate the culture of only drinking to get drunk, I would rather a culture where people appreciate good quality booze.

I mean, you can hang out with craft beer drinkers. There the culture is usually quality over quantity (though some people do still get carried away with the quantity on occasion). One thing I really liked in the UK is actually that you can often get portions smaller than a pint (e.g. schooners, half pints, third pints) so you can try more beers without getting too drink or make it easier to pace yourself throughout an evening.

Molotovsk
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Molotovsk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

Dakini wrote:

You can do both, you know. After we got vaccinated, my partner and I went out for celebratory beers.

Pretty obvious by your signature.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

Dakini wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The UK Prime Minister seems willing for people to die from Covid just to get the pubs open, so I can't see it being banned here. But I do hate the culture of only drinking to get drunk, I would rather a culture where people appreciate good quality booze.

I mean, you can hang out with craft beer drinkers. There the culture is usually quality over quantity (though some people do still get carried away with the quantity on occasion). One thing I really liked in the UK is actually that you can often get portions smaller than a pint (e.g. schooners, half pints, third pints) so you can try more beers without getting too drink or make it easier to pace yourself throughout an evening.

Ah, craft beer.

Over here it's the same, you can do the regular 0.5L, or go for smaller, 0.2 or 0.3. Sometimes even 0.1 or 0.15.

And there's so many places. I really should check out the one around the corner though, I haven't gone there since I moved. Then again, I have a good excuse called pandemic :( :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:39 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Dakini wrote:I mean, you can hang out with craft beer drinkers. There the culture is usually quality over quantity (though some people do still get carried away with the quantity on occasion). One thing I really liked in the UK is actually that you can often get portions smaller than a pint (e.g. schooners, half pints, third pints) so you can try more beers without getting too drink or make it easier to pace yourself throughout an evening.

Ah, craft beer.

Over here it's the same, you can do the regular 0.5L, or go for smaller, 0.2 or 0.3. Sometimes even 0.1 or 0.15.

And there's so many places. I really should check out the one around the corner though, I haven't gone there since I moved. Then again, I have a good excuse called pandemic :( :p

Oh, here it's the same (or seems to be, the place we've found does 0,2 L and 0,4 L). In principle, it was like that in Japan too, except that craft beer hadn't taken off when I was in Japan so you could get like 200 mL or 500 mL of Heineken.

In Canada though, the options were like a pint or a pitcher (about 3.5 pints) when I was living there, so being able to choose a smaller quantity of good beer was a nice change. The craft beer places in Canada have started to do smaller portions based on my more recent visits, but it's not widespread in normal pubs the way it is in the UK (I don't think I've been to a place in the UK where you could only get pints, usually a half is also an option at the very least, but in regular non-craft pubs in Canada a pint is the smallest I've found).
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:42 am

Dakini wrote:

As long as a smaller size is optional and clearly stated, and that whatever is called a pint on the menu is defined as 20 british *imperial* ounces.
One must always be vigilant.
Dakini wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Ah, craft beer.

Oh, here it's the same (or seems to be, the place we've found does 0,2 L and 0,4 L). In principle, it was like that in Japan too, except that craft beer hadn't taken off when I was in Japan so you could get like 200 mL or 500 mL of Heineken.

In Canada though, the options were like a pint or a pitcher (about 3.5 pints) when I was living there, so being able to choose a smaller quantity of good beer was a nice change. The craft beer places in Canada have started to do smaller portions based on my more recent visits, but it's not widespread in normal pubs the way it is in the UK (I don't think I've been to a place in the UK where you could only get pints, usually a half is also an option at the very least, but in regular non-craft pubs in Canada a pint is the smallest I've found).
Go to nicer bars, you'll never have to worry about servings being too big. Am I right or am I right, foolks?
Last edited by Kubra on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:43 am

Dakini wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Ah, craft beer.

How is the craft beer situation in your new neck of the woods? Plenty of variety? I was in the city center there... about 2.5 years ago. But also went to quite a few just regular bars.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:52 am

Kubra wrote:
Dakini wrote:I mean, you can hang out with craft beer drinkers. There the culture is usually quality over quantity (though some people do still get carried away with the quantity on occasion). One thing I really liked in the UK is actually that you can often get portions smaller than a pint (e.g. schooners, half pints, third pints) so you can try more beers without getting too drink or make it easier to pace yourself throughout an evening.
As long as a smaller size is optional and clearly stated, and that whatever is called a pint on the menu is defined as 20 british *imperial* ounces.

Scotland has an actual law about how your pints have to be actual pints and all that. The size for a shot of liquor also has a minimum requirement (iirc, it's 15 mL, though I used to go to a pub that did 25 mL measures) and there are specific measures for wine as well. Most places have standard measuring devices for liquor or wine that the bartender will pour into before serving you and the beer glasses have markings. If your beer isn't poured up to the line, you can ask them to top it up for you.

I can say that one of my favourite pubs in Edinburgh didn't do pints at all. They only do schooners (2/3rd pints) and 1/3rd pints. But they alwiays have so many good beers and their menu is always changing so smaller portions are the way to go, imo.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Dakini wrote:Oh, here it's the same (or seems to be, the place we've found does 0,2 L and 0,4 L). In principle, it was like that in Japan too, except that craft beer hadn't taken off when I was in Japan so you could get like 200 mL or 500 mL of Heineken.

How is the craft beer situation in your new neck of the woods? Plenty of variety? I was in the city center there... about 2.5 years ago. But also went to quite a few just regular bars.

Well, we've found one pub owned by a local brewery that we like a lot. They sell beer by other Romanian breweries that are farther afield though and some international stuff in addition to their own and there's definitely a reasonable amount of variety. The options in my village are somewhat limited since there are just two local supermarkets and neither of them has an amazing beer selection. We haven't technically tried the local restaurants, but they seem to have a bunch of macro brews.

And yeah, when I first got here and started doing my Untappd check ins, you were usually the only person among my friends who'd had the beers I was checking in. :P
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 am

Dakini wrote:
Kubra wrote: As long as a smaller size is optional and clearly stated, and that whatever is called a pint on the menu is defined as 20 british *imperial* ounces.

Scotland has an actual law about how your pints have to be actual pints and all that. The size for a shot of liquor also has a minimum requirement (iirc, it's 15 mL, though I used to go to a pub that did 25 mL measures) and there are specific measures for wine as well. Most places have standard measuring devices for liquor or wine that the bartender will pour into before serving you and the beer glasses have markings. If your beer isn't poured up to the line, you can ask them to top it up for you.

I can say that one of my favourite pubs in Edinburgh didn't do pints at all. They only do schooners (2/3rd pints) and 1/3rd pints. But they alwiays have so many good beers and their menu is always changing so smaller portions are the way to go, imo.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Well, we've found one pub owned by a local brewery that we like a lot. They sell beer by other Romanian breweries that are farther afield though and some international stuff in addition to their own and there's definitely a reasonable amount of variety. The options in my village are somewhat limited since there are just two local supermarkets and neither of them has an amazing beer selection. We haven't technically tried the local restaurants, but they seem to have a bunch of macro brews.

And yeah, when I first got here and started doing my Untappd check ins, you were usually the only person among my friends who'd had the beers I was checking in. :P

Yes, that does sound like me :blush:
And if/when you have drunk it all, there are direct flights to here and I'll show you around :)

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:05 am

Dakini wrote:
Kubra wrote: As long as a smaller size is optional and clearly stated, and that whatever is called a pint on the menu is defined as 20 british *imperial* ounces.

Canada also has similar pint laws, but the farther west you go the more they're worked around or outright flouted. I, of course, blame the perfidious americans and their perfidious means of measuring.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Quyona
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Quyona » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:07 am

Postauthoritarian America wrote:I would make it mandatory for people to either drink alcohol or smoke weed every day. The benefit to society from all the mellow would be incalculable.

I hope thats satire.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 am

Quyona wrote:
Postauthoritarian America wrote:I would make it mandatory for people to either drink alcohol or smoke weed every day. The benefit to society from all the mellow would be incalculable.

I hope thats satire.
Mandatory replacement of public drinking fountains with THC infused spirytus dispensers.
Comrade J. Posadas

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:10 am

Quyona wrote:

I hope thats satire.

No its not, now smoke this joint or you will be rezoned to re-education camp 420 where you will be retrained to like weed.

And no this isn't fascism. The camps were built with horizontally organized labor and are environmentally friendly, and we made sure half of the guards are black and hispanic and 60% are female.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Quyona wrote:I hope thats satire.

No its not, now smoke this joint or you will be rezoned to re-education camp 420 where you will be retrained to like weed.

And no this isn't fascism. The camps were built with horizontally organized labor and are environmentally friendly, and we made sure half of the guards are black and hispanic and 60% are female.
>420 re-education camps all called re-education camp 420
>except for one named re-education camp 69
Comrade J. Posadas

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am

Simply issue citizens spare livers for free upon request. Or frankly, once we have some serious cloning vats, and those crazy surgery robots have gotten a bit cheaper, just make people upgrade their organs every decade or so. You go in, they plug the new stuff in, you convalesce for a bit, and then you go get your passport photo updated and you’ll look so youthful and healthy in it!
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Molotovsk
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Molotovsk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 am

Senkaku wrote:Simply issue citizens spare livers for free upon request. Or frankly, once we have some serious cloning vats, and those crazy surgery robots have gotten a bit cheaper, just make people upgrade their organs every decade or so. You go in, they plug the new stuff in, you convalesce for a bit, and then you go get your passport photo updated and you’ll look so youthful and healthy in it!

Understood...

Lady Victory
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 am

I'm a teetotaler and I plan to keep it that way. Alcoholism destroys lives and families.

That said, prohibition didn't work and shouldn't be brought back either. Let people drink if they want to, I'm gonna pass myself.
☆ American Left-wing Nationalist and Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
"Fascism is not to be debated, it is to be destroyed!"

She/Her - Call me Jenny or LV

Enjuku
Envoy

Founded: Oct 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enjuku » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:32 am

If we follow OP and were able to decide alcohol's fate before it developed as it did, I'd make it illegal.

But as things are now, alcohol is too engrained in the cultural life of human beings to flat out ban. It's too widespread.

Notably though, since everyone keeps bringing up Prohibition, let's not dismiss how successful the Prohibition movement was in limiting alcohol consumption in general. Alcoholism was a very real social problem in the 1800s. One of the major causes of death in industrial Europe and America was alcoholism. It broke up families because working class men would spend long hours at factories, then come home and spend their free time drinking their pain away. Spousal and child abuse was rampant because of drunkards in families. Etc.

Many Prohibitionist movements weren't 100% dry and simply advocated moderating alcohol consumption or imposing regulations on how it's bought and sold. And this led to the modern alcohol regulations we know today (banning drunk driving, no buying alcohol on Sundays, age restrictions on alcohol purchases, no alcohol drinking in public places, permitting divorces due to alcoholism, etc).

I'd say alcoholism isn't nearly the issue it was during the industrial revolution, partly thanks to the Prohibition movement. They didn't achieve a complete ban, but they did do something to fight alcoholism.
| LGBTQIA+ | Stop Asian Hate | Market Socialist | Tengerist Shamanist | Pure Land Buddhist |

**I keep forgetting signatures are a thing**
On a scale of "woke" to "nope" I'm a solid "ok fine".

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:53 am

Enjuku wrote:If we follow OP and were able to decide alcohol's fate before it developed as it did, I'd make it illegal.

But as things are now, alcohol is too engrained in the cultural life of human beings to flat out ban. It's too widespread.

Notably though, since everyone keeps bringing up Prohibition, let's not dismiss how successful the Prohibition movement was in limiting alcohol consumption in general. Alcoholism was a very real social problem in the 1800s. One of the major causes of death in industrial Europe and America was alcoholism. It broke up families because working class men would spend long hours at factories, then come home and spend their free time drinking their pain away. Spousal and child abuse was rampant because of drunkards in families. Etc.

I'd argue that alcoholism was a symptom of something else. The massive abuse of workers by the factory owners. So they should have reformed that (there were some, but enough?) rather than prohibition.

Enjuku
Envoy

Founded: Oct 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enjuku » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:01 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Enjuku wrote:If we follow OP and were able to decide alcohol's fate before it developed as it did, I'd make it illegal.

I'd argue that alcoholism was a symptom of something else. The massive abuse of workers by the factory owners. So they should have reformed that (there were some, but enough?) rather than prohibition.

Workplace abuse was definitely a factor. But I'd wager it was a combination of eliminating workplace abuse and limiting access to alcohol that combatted the epidemic.

If you're already addicted to alcohol, getting a shorter workday or better safety regulations isn't going to stop you from drinking.
| LGBTQIA+ | Stop Asian Hate | Market Socialist | Tengerist Shamanist | Pure Land Buddhist |

**I keep forgetting signatures are a thing**
On a scale of "woke" to "nope" I'm a solid "ok fine".

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Enjuku wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Workplace abuse was definitely a factor. But I'd wager it was a combination of eliminating workplace abuse and limiting access to alcohol that combatted the epidemic.

If you're already addicted to alcohol, getting a shorter workday or better safety regulations isn't going to stop you from drinking.

Shorter workdays actually help with drinking more :blush:

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Enjuku wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Depends what one means by "addicted". Physical dependency is a *motherfucker*, especially with alcohol, but psychological dependency is much more pliable.
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General