NATION

PASSWORD

Alcohol Discussion Thread I: Drunk Spirits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should drinking alcohol be legal?

Yes.
75%
No.
25%

Total votes : 77

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Whitemore wrote:Make it illegal and prevent it's production, it's a disease on Humanity and causes unneeded deaths.
Welcome to the Middle East. to the region of the world where all crimes where alcohol is prohibited.The prohibitionist mentality needs to break its chains. don't touch my cigarette, my marijuana, my alcohol

Alcohol isn't illegal in the whole middle east. I literally bought French liquor in Nableus one time.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm

Whitemore wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Welcome to the Middle East. to the region of the world where all crimes where alcohol is prohibited.The prohibitionist mentality needs to break its chains. don't touch my cigarette, my marijuana, my alcohol

Sorry, but, I don't care where you're from. WORLDWIDE PROHIBITION.

Speakeasy and can can girls says HI.

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Whitemore wrote:

OP didn't say people can disobey my order of Prohibition, that's why I say yes.
★ The Empire of Whitemore ★ - " We will reach the Gates of Heaven!"

The remnants of Humanity set in 2601, 500 years after an alien attack on Terra forced Mankind to flee the planet.

• Loosely based off of several sci fi anime shows, some examples are; Code Geass, Aldnoah Zero and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Whitemoreans whenever a new War Campaign is launched - POV: You're Whitemorean and see a alien

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Whitemore wrote:

If they banned alcohol, I would literally just buy a whole bunch for the thrill of it. If a law is stupid, it deserves to be broken.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Azalfia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Azalfia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 pm

Whitemore wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Welcome to the Middle East. to the region of the world where all crimes where alcohol is prohibited.The prohibitionist mentality needs to break its chains. don't touch my cigarette, my marijuana, my alcohol

Yes, because preventing humans from indulging in one of it's greatest delights and doing a prohibition will obviously work! Let's do a War On Alcohol while we're at it!

No but seriously, war on prohibited substances seem to constantly fail. Maybe we should fight to reduce demand to a minimum, which would make alcohol less popular and less consumed?
Uphold Azalfia! The Turn Of The Laborer's Has Come!

He/Him. 2 year debate student. I do debate sometimes. Empathy and Compassion for life. Supporter of the Peace Tax. What did Iceland tell the bankers?

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Whitemore wrote:

In honor of :roll:
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

If they banned alcohol, I would literally just buy a whole bunch for the thrill of it. If a law is stupid, it deserves to be broken.

The rise of golden grain alcohol will rise again in the thickets, in briar patches, in the hills and in the mountains.

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Whitemore wrote:Make it illegal and prevent it's production, it's a disease on Humanity and causes unneeded deaths.

Already tried that. It just led to the Italian Mafia becoming more powerful.

Not just Italians, Germans, Irish, Blacks, pretty much every race, creed and color got a piece of the bootlegging action. It can be argued that Prohibition, not unlike the so-called war on drugs, was targeted against minority groups, particularly Blacks. Prohibiting anything that human beings find enjoyable and that can be enjoyed without undue harm to others is generally a Bad Thing even without reference to increasing the profit from flouting the prohibition.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Azalfia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Azalfia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Whitemore wrote:

Man drinks alcohol to spite NS user; more at 10:00 on this developing story.
Uphold Azalfia! The Turn Of The Laborer's Has Come!

He/Him. 2 year debate student. I do debate sometimes. Empathy and Compassion for life. Supporter of the Peace Tax. What did Iceland tell the bankers?

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Azalfia wrote:
Whitemore wrote:

Yes, because preventing humans from indulging in one of it's greatest delights and doing a prohibition will obviously work! Let's do a War On Alcohol while we're at it!

No but seriously, war on prohibited substances seem to constantly fail. Maybe we should fight to reduce demand to a minimum, which would make alcohol less popular and less consumed?

I am basing my entire answer on the fact OP asked if we would ban Alcohol if given the chance, that is all he asked. He never went beyond that and said if our order could be disobeyed, it was a simple yes or no question and I answered. I know the Prohibition failed in the United States and has failed worldwide, it's in human natural to disobey orders.

The remnants of Humanity set in 2601, 500 years after an alien attack on Terra forced Mankind to flee the planet.

• Loosely based off of several sci fi anime shows, some examples are; Code Geass, Aldnoah Zero and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Whitemoreans whenever a new War Campaign is launched - POV: You're Whitemorean and see a alien

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayytaly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:

As broken as the bottles used to stab a mofo?
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Whitemore wrote:

That's a pretty cool looking bottle!

NationStates Puppet
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Puppet » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 pm

If no-one could argue with me, YES. If they can, then I’ll just ‘restrict’ it to a few cups per day. It will still be allowed for medical purposes, of course.
PUPPET OF ISLAMIC HOLY SITES

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 pm

Azalfia wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:In honor of :roll:

Man drinks alcohol to spite NS user; more at 10:00 on this developing story.

I really wouldn't call that "spite," I personally don't care.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Whitemore wrote:
Azalfia wrote:Yes, because preventing humans from indulging in one of it's greatest delights and doing a prohibition will obviously work! Let's do a War On Alcohol while we're at it!

I am basing my entire answer on the fact OP asked if we would ban Alcohol if given the chance, that is all he asked. He never went beyond that and said if our order could be disobeyed, it was a simple yes or no question and I answered. I know the Prohibition failed in the United States and has failed worldwide, it's in human natural to disobey orders.

Arguably it's bad from an ethical as well as a practical standpoint to proclaim laws that society would be indifferent to see broken.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

NationStates Puppet
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Puppet » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:

Not just Italians, Germans, Irish, Blacks, pretty much every race, creed and color got a piece of the bootlegging action. It can be argued that Prohibition, not unlike the so-called war on drugs, was targeted against minority groups, particularly Blacks. Prohibiting anything that human beings find enjoyable and that can be enjoyed without undue harm to others is generally a Bad Thing even without reference to increasing the profit from flouting the prohibition.

‘Let me slam myself into as many things as I can because I like it,’

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Prohibition came about due to the rise of nutball busy bodies of the temperance movement which started before the civil war and gained steam afterwards coming to head in 1919.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Whitemore wrote:

Arguably it's bad from an ethical as well as a practical standpoint to proclaim laws that society would be indifferent to see broken.

That's fair enough.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm

NationStates Puppet wrote:

‘Let me slam myself into as many things as I can because I like it,’

Works for me.

NationStates Puppet
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Puppet » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm

Whitemore wrote:

But you said that you would make it mandatory to drink alcohol every day, people would break that law too. At least around 1.5 billion of them.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Alcohol isn't illegal in the whole middle east. I literally bought French liquor in Nableus one time.
I feel in my throat that political Islamists oppose everything beautiful.
Şerefine Malum Kişi
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

NationStates Puppet
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Puppet » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:18 pm

I feel in my throat that political Islamists oppose everything beautiful.
Şerefine Malum Kişi

What’s that? I don’t like going on YouTube, sorry.

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:19 pm

NationStates Puppet wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:I feel in my throat that political Islamists oppose everything beautiful.
Şerefine Malum Kişi

What’s that? I don’t like going on YouTube, sorry.

It's a 23 second video of bros singing and raising their drinks in union.

Castellum Roma
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Castellum Roma » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Alcohol is for posers.

The new fab in town is getting vaccinated. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:21 pm

With full immersion VR, emotional regulation through implanted brain chips, and neuropharmacy advancements, alcohol will be rendered unnecessary. I mean, so does a whole bunch of other things, but oh well.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General