NATION

PASSWORD

What is Economics?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is Economics?

Macroeconomics
52%
Microeconomics
10%
Dentistry
39%

Total votes : 31

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:48 am

Nilokeras wrote:
Forsher wrote:
If you think that about economics, you should take a geography course. Never have I encountered a discipline more convinced of its own validity than geography... and I went to what's technically a business school.

Yeah those fucking map makers, knowing where stuff is who gave them the right

Stop projecting :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:52 am

Nilokeras wrote:
Kowani wrote:goddamnit i giggled :lol2:

but geography is a lot more than just maps

Oh I know I just found the insistence on human geography, which is probably the discipline that is correct the most and listened/funded the least, having some sort of superiority complex very funny

It doesn't have a superiority complex: it is completely and utterly lacking in self-awareness and devoid of self-reflection.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:
Oh I know I just found the insistence on human geography, which is probably the discipline that is correct the most and listened/funded the least, having some sort of superiority complex very funny

It doesn't have a superiority complex: it is completely and utterly lacking in self-awareness and devoid of self-reflection.

I mean coming from a political science/economics person that's a little rich, but why so?

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Kubra wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:
They're eating from some sort of receptacle of ideology, though most likely it's the post-seminar wine and cheese ideology bar following the Rodrigo Eichmann Foundation Endowed Seminar on Latin American Affairs, titled 'Why Land Reform and Regime Change in Bolivia is Vital to the Security of South America'
Hey don't knock the free cheese, they neglected to clear out the catering of some guest lecture or other from one of my university classroom's and it was an excellent accompaniment to the lesson.

Also great is when you transcend even the guest speaker tier and go to the upper echelons of university catering - then there's free sushi left behind, which usually attracts grad students like a spilled picnic attracts ants

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Kubra wrote: Hey don't knock the free cheese, they neglected to clear out the catering of some guest lecture or other from one of my university classroom's and it was an excellent accompaniment to the lesson.

Also great is when you transcend even the guest speaker tier and go to the upper echelons of university catering - then there's free sushi left behind, which usually attracts grad students like a spilled picnic attracts ants
Man I was just going to class and got a bonus, I ain't playing the rat race just for a bite of fish.
The only place I get free sushi is NDP's election parties, since they don't check who comes in, and it turns out I'm not the only vulture in it for the free food.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I mean coming from a political science/economics person that's a little rich, but why so?

You basically can't go to a lecture in history or economics without the idea of "there's something whack with this whole discipline" coming up. Whether or not you personally want to acknowledge it, economics as a subject is very, very aware of and responsive to the common critiques, just as historians spend (frankly too much) time hand wringing about narrative.

Meanwhile, urban geographers (I should note, I've never done any physical geography and, when it comes to it, human geography outside of urban geography so maybe it's just a problem with urban geography) are busy throwing around the term neoliberal like there's no tomorrow and basically never stopping to consider the validity of their methods. That is, insofar as there are methods beyond applying their ideological frameworks to some vaguely space related topic.

The thing about being ignored is that no-one cares about what you're doing, so you can just knuckle down and do it, basically uninterrupted. Urban geographers are dentists!

That being said, I would tend to agree that economics as a discipline has a superiority complex in the sense that it sees itself as being better than (say) geography, but that doesn't mean that just as economists are saying "use a CBA, fuck this economic impact analysis" they're not also saying "well, a CBA would do anything for love but it won't do that" (where that is, for example, something that's too hard to price).

Also, in statistics the whole point is about being uncertain and including the uncertainty in the generalisation. So, even though it mostly all goes back to proofs, in practice the subject of applied statistics is just as introspective, even if it's not because of internal and external critiques of the basic logic of the subject. (Which, for economists, is usually conceptualised in terms of model assumptions or the capacity/relevance of pricing, e.g. the CBA case.)

Nilokeras wrote:The ideology of the economist in question. You can tell which by what questions they consider worthwhile and what they consider the purpose of the discipline of economics is - the technocratic neoliberalism dominant in those Applied Ideology departments usually expresses itself in a sort of cold blooded focus on human behaviour in a market environment to the exclusion of all else. Poverty simulators and models of tax credits on spending decisions without considering the how or why.

Take this... there's a reverse causality problem: is the economist applying their ideology or is their ideology just what they think they've learnt? How can you tell the difference when the subject is inherently about questions people have an ideological interest in? (And I'd argue human/urban geographers have the same problem but for some reason they aren't copping any flack from you.)

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Kubra wrote: Hey don't knock the free cheese, they neglected to clear out the catering of some guest lecture or other from one of my university classroom's and it was an excellent accompaniment to the lesson.

Ah, you too have been to a University of Auckland statistics department class representatives meeting. Like, you can go to boring talks the law school does for law school people* and the nibbles are inferior (though, there's significantly more options in terms of booze, i.e. there are some, if that's you're thing).

I mean, Christ, there is no better illustration of the difference in funding between STEM subjects and everything else than the catering.

*He says based on one example.
Last edited by Forsher on Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm

What is economics?

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

It just doesn't work, the whole rhythm of the song is broken :(

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Forsher wrote:You basically can't go to a lecture in history or economics without the idea of "there's something whack with this whole discipline" coming up. Whether or not you personally want to acknowledge it, economics as a subject is very, very aware of and responsive to the common critiques, just as historians spend (frankly too much) time hand wringing about narrative.

Meanwhile, urban geographers (I should note, I've never done any physical geography and, when it comes to it, human geography outside of urban geography so maybe it's just a problem with urban geography) are busy throwing around the term neoliberal like there's no tomorrow and basically never stopping to consider the validity of their methods. That is, insofar as there are methods beyond applying their ideological frameworks to some vaguely space related topic.

They absolutely do think about their methods. I think the problem you're experiencing is not that they're uncritical, but that they're critical in a different way than you expect them to be because unlike economics and political science they do not consider themselves to be a 'science'.

Forsher wrote:Also, in statistics the whole point is about being uncertain and including the uncertainty in the generalisation. So, even though it mostly all goes back to proofs, in practice the subject of applied statistics is just as introspective, even if it's not because of internal and external critiques of the basic logic of the subject. (Which, for economists, is usually conceptualised in terms of model assumptions or the capacity/relevance of pricing, e.g. the CBA case.)

I would encourage you to consider that this is exactly the problem - I'm not questioning the validity of the models, I'm saying that the choice of what to model and why and why we even model goes unexamined.

Forsher wrote:Take this... there's a reverse causality problem: is the economist applying their ideology or is their ideology just what they think they've learnt? How can you tell the difference when the subject is inherently about questions people have an ideological interest in? (And I'd argue human/urban geographers have the same problem but for some reason they aren't copping any flack from you.)

It's not a reverse causality problem, this is history in action. Profs teach what they consider important, which is what they learned from their profs and research. The issue is that there's been a winnowing of what profs study and what gets funded that has turned economists from the sort of people who imagine new economic systems and grapple with the arcs of history to court astrologers that spend their time nose down arguing about which model family to use in studying real estate markets.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Forsher wrote:You basically can't go to a lecture in history or economics without the idea of "there's something whack with this whole discipline" coming up. Whether or not you personally want to acknowledge it, economics as a subject is very, very aware of and responsive to the common critiques, just as historians spend (frankly too much) time hand wringing about narrative.

They absolutely do think about their methods. I think the problem you're experiencing is not that they're uncritical, but that they're critical in a different way than you expect them to be because unlike economics and political science they do not consider themselves to be a 'science'.

Forsher wrote:Also, in statistics the whole point is about being uncertain and including the uncertainty in the generalisation. So, even though it mostly all goes back to proofs, in practice the subject of applied statistics is just as introspective, even if it's not because of internal and external critiques of the basic logic of the subject. (Which, for economists, is usually conceptualised in terms of model assumptions or the capacity/relevance of pricing, e.g. the CBA case.)

I would encourage you to consider that this is exactly the problem - I'm not questioning the validity of the models, I'm saying that the choice of what to model and why and why we even model goes unexamined.

Forsher wrote:Take this... there's a reverse causality problem: is the economist applying their ideology or is their ideology just what they think they've learnt? How can you tell the difference when the subject is inherently about questions people have an ideological interest in? (And I'd argue human/urban geographers have the same problem but for some reason they aren't copping any flack from you.)

It's not a reverse causality problem, this is history in action. Profs teach what they consider important, which is what they learned from their profs and research. The issue is that there's been a winnowing of what profs study and what gets funded that has turned economists from the sort of people who imagine new economic systems and grapple with the arcs of history to court astrologers that spend their time nose down arguing about which model family to use in studying real estate markets.

They've got that market capricornered.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Er I don't know and my degree is titled Financial Economics. I think I should have turned right and not left at econometrics.
Slava Ukraini

Ceranapis
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceranapis » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:39 pm

Economics is the study of the allocation of scarce resources.

It is a social science, though it tends to use more math than say, sociology or anthropology.
Everybody works but the VACANT LOT- for the remedy read HENRY GEORGE

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

What is Economics?

Postby Deacarsia » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:46 pm

E`co*nom"ics (ē`kŏnŏm"ĭks), n. [Gr. ta` o'ikonomika`, equiv. to "h o'ikonomi`a. See Economic.]

1. The science of household affairs, or of domestic management.
  2. Political economy; the science of the utilities or the useful application of wealth or material resources. See Political economy, under Political. "In politics and economics." V. Knox.
(Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1913)
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General