NATION

PASSWORD

Five Oregon Counties vote to Join Idaho

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Tobleste wrote:If they were seriously bothered by politicians trying to pass legislation with tricks like that, they wouldn't want to go to a red state. Those counties voted for Trump. They're fine with rejecting elections results. Don't act like they're bothered by tyranny.

Well, political hypocrisy isn't new of course.

Hell, "emergency" bills are done by both sides in various states.

But in this case, the legislature was explicitly attempting to do an end-run around the right of the people as enshrined in the constitution of the state, and that's what led to this standoff.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Tobleste wrote:
Galloism wrote:

If they were seriously bothered by politicians trying to pass legislation with tricks like that, they wouldn't want to go to a red state. Those counties voted for Trump. They're fine with rejecting elections results. Don't act like they're bothered by tyranny.

What is your actual problem against letting these people join Idaho? It'd have zero impact on the senate, and would only marginally impact the house. Democrats in Oregon get to increase their majority and Republicans in Idaho get to increase theirs. Everyone wins.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Senkaku wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Of course. Rural folk have to have their “values” pressed on everybody else.

Mr. Black Forrest, you don't understand, when I agreed to this """democracy""" I never thought I'd be living in a urbanized society! what, am I supposed to give up the rightful power of my land holdings just because some serfs ran off to the cities and created "industrialism"?

Nobody alive agreed to this particular form of democracy. Oregon's constitution was ratified in 1859.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Tobleste wrote:
If they were seriously bothered by politicians trying to pass legislation with tricks like that, they wouldn't want to go to a red state. Those counties voted for Trump. They're fine with rejecting elections results. Don't act like they're bothered by tyranny.

What is your actual problem against letting these people join Idaho? It'd have zero impact on the senate, and would only marginally impact the house. Democrats in Oregon get to increase their majority and Republicans in Idaho get to increase theirs. Everyone wins.

Well, except for republicans still in Oregon and democrats in Idaho.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Five Oregon Counties vote to Join Idaho

Postby Deacarsia » Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

I strongly support this idea.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Tobleste wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
In the long run people would be happier with this arrangement. It would cool partisan tensions.

People redrawing state lines would open endless arguments about which counties go where and whether blue cities should become their own states. It would massively increase partisan tensions.

The point of self-determination is that people can have these arguments.

People don't want to be controlled by their opposition. And yes, blue cities (probably just the larger ones) could easily be states in their own right.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Galloism wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Well, except for republicans still in Oregon and democrats in Idaho.

They'd still have options (countersecession, voting against this, etc.) so I don't see what the problem is.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Fri May 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Tobleste wrote:

Yeah, but Oregon would have fewer people to never reinvest tax money to. And that's terrible.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes it should be allowed. It’s self determination. Now will it happen is another matter entirely

You mean like white only states? Pass.

I mean what would be so bad about that? People who want diversity wouldn't want to live in a state that is 95%+ white conservatives, and those same whites wouldn't want to live in a diverse area. What is the benefit of forcing them together other than one group wanting to dominate the other?
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Yeah, but Oregon would have fewer people to never reinvest tax money to. And that's terrible.

Well if Oregon doesn't want these people to support secession, maybe they should throw them a bone every once in awhile.

I don't see why this has to be so complicated. Czechoslovakia split apart without bloodshed.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 21, 2021 7:40 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
If you're perpetually losing elections, why wouldn't you want to switch states?

Move instead of changing borders.

But then you're saying that state borders are sacrosanct. What happened to land and cattle don't vote?

San Lumen wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
The majority of people in these counties are voting for the change in borders though. Surely majority rules (in this specific case)? Also, it seems excessively unreasonable to expect that the majority of people in a region are just going to up sticks and leave if they don't like the way things are run... in their own home area.

Its nothing more than an advisory referendum held during an election with usually the lowest turnout that Salem is never going to even bring up for debate. The only other thing on the ballot was likely school board.

I'm fairly certain that neither Republicans, nor Democrats, would be up in arms over a school board election. Perhaps it comes from years, even decades of being oppressed by unnecessary taxation and regulations.

Senkaku wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:If they aren't even going to get a committee (assuming that's true), why would you care? Let them be.

I mean that’s pretty easy, it’s because this shit is a predecessor to rebellion and separatist terrorism, and eventually to state absence and de facto paramilitary control of large areas of the nation (as evidenced by the demonstration/siege-cum-proto-rebellion that took place there before this)

They're separating from the US by remaining in the US? Logic!

Dratonis wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Republicans don't give a darn about about the planet and if they want to act like children and grandstand instead of worrying about if their children know about birds and fish other than from a book or natural beauty from a Bob Ross painting the heck with them.

No one said they were sacrosanct but its not going to be changed over we don't like the fact that we lose elections and don't get more representation than our population allows.

You're a confusing individual. If you dislike the Republicans so much why not let them leave? It sounds like you just want to exert control over them. Also they dont want to leave because they lost, they're leaving because they aren't represented in their state.

Also how can you demand the Republicans "respect the vote" while you refuse to respect the vote of the Republican counties that wished to leave?

Just going to drop this here: viewtopic.php?p=36715870#p36715870
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Wolfsdale
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfsdale » Fri May 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Tobleste wrote:

You don't get it. It's republicans and rural people proposing it ergo it's bad, regardless of actual arguments and whether it makes sense or not. Maybe if it was democrat's proposal it would have went through, but though luck.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 21, 2021 7:46 pm

Tobleste wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
In the long run people would be happier with this arrangement. It would cool partisan tensions.

People redrawing state lines would open endless arguments about which counties go where and whether blue cities should become their own states. It would massively increase partisan tensions.

How would making the majority of people happier increase partisan tensions?

Proctopeo wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

They could always invest in California's High Speed Rail scam, now connecting the vital hubs of Bakersfield and Merced!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Czechoslovakia split apart without bloodshed.

now there's something to aspire to

Shofercia wrote:
Tobleste wrote:

How would making the majority of people happier increase partisan tensions?

Making the majority of voters in those counties happier =/= making the majority of people happier, since partisan tensions are not exclusive to or defined by the happenings in Eastern OR

I don't think we can conclusively say it would make things worse, but it's much easier to see how it could make things worse than how it could make things better, particularly on a national level (and frankly even at the local level; as I said, I don't think this will suddenly remove the animosity in the area, it'll just align it with new administrative boundaries)
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Mr. Black Forrest, you don't understand, when I agreed to this """democracy""" I never thought I'd be living in a urbanized society! what, am I supposed to give up the rightful power of my land holdings just because some serfs ran off to the cities and created "industrialism"?

Nobody alive agreed to this particular form of democracy. Oregon's constitution was ratified in 1859.

We should be following Tommy J and his idea that constitutions need to be redone every 20 years
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri May 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Tobleste wrote:If they were seriously bothered by politicians trying to pass legislation with tricks like that, they wouldn't want to go to a red state. Those counties voted for Trump. They're fine with rejecting elections results. Don't act like they're bothered by tyranny.

Well, political hypocrisy isn't new of course.

Hell, "emergency" bills are done by both sides in various states.

But in this case, the legislature was explicitly attempting to do an end-run around the right of the people as enshrined in the constitution of the state, and that's what led to this standoff.

Let's not forget all those unconstitutional Morality bills Red States passed in the past few years that served no purpose but to piss off the Democrats inside those states.

Shofercia wrote:I'm fairly certain that neither Republicans, nor Democrats, would be up in arms over a school board election.

You'd be surprised, in the past year there were School Board Elections that became hot topics for the right because the school boards started pushing Critical Race Theory.

Shofercia wrote:Perhaps it comes from years, even decades of being oppressed by unnecessary taxation and regulations.

But largely it was that in this case.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Fri May 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Nobody alive agreed to this particular form of democracy. Oregon's constitution was ratified in 1859.

We should be following Tommy J and his idea that constitutions need to be redone every 20 years

Many states are required to have referendums on whether to have a constitutional convention every so often.

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Fri May 21, 2021 10:15 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Constaniana wrote:I'm not surprised. Having once lived in Malheur County for a short while, one can quickly see they're far more similar to the people east of the Snake River rather than those on the west coast. Towns there are much better connected to Boise than Salem. There's a reason everyone there roots for Boise State rather than the University of Oregon.

Boise is a very blue city.

I wound up living on the outskirts of Boise for about 6 months. While I wasn't exactly involved in local politics, I know enough to confidently say it's not "very blue". Sure the mayor is a Democrat I guess, but it's hardly San Francisco II. Furthermore, Ada County and pretty much everything else around Boise, and most of the rest of the state are rather red, which is why Republicans have a firm grasp on the state government.
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 pm

Constaniana wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Boise is a very blue city.

I wound up living on the outskirts of Boise for about 6 months. While I wasn't exactly involved in local politics, I know enough to confidently say it's not "very blue". Sure the mayor is a Democrat I guess, but it's hardly San Francisco II. Furthermore, Ada County and pretty much everything else around Boise, and most of the rest of the state are rather red, which is why Republicans have a firm grasp on the state government.

There's a difference between being a Blue City and being whatever Portland and San Francisco are.

There's blue, and then there's emitting Cherenkov radiation.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Sat May 22, 2021 12:04 am

Galloism wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Best part, Oregon keeps all of the places it actually cares about.

Utter nonsense. One county in their proposal Wallowa which borders Washington and Idaho rejected a referendum on this last year.

What happened to your idea of just propose the same referendum again later on, since you just love to mention that in Maine?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat May 22, 2021 12:54 am

You know, reading through this thread, I'm not actually all that opposed to these counties joining Idaho. All those straight line boundaries in the west were drawn up hundreds of years ago, when there was almost nobody out there, and times have since changed.

Can't say I care for the specific qualms these people are bringing up (oh noes, Oregon is raising taxes on lumber while the timber industry is making record profits! The horror?), but this is a feelings over facts thing. If the people in these counties feel like they should belong to Idaho and not to Oregon, then that is their right. And all the arguments people are using to oppose this all seem nonsensical.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Northern Socialist Council Republics
Senator

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Sat May 22, 2021 2:24 am

Cetacea wrote:And they do have a point, if a majority of voters in a county want to change then why should they be blocked from doing so?

Extend that line of reasoning a bit and you see how absurd it is: If the majority of voters in a household want to join a different county then why should they be blocked from doing so?

The logical end result of the principle of self-determination is anarchy. If you accept that people have a right to freely choose which government has authority over them, then what that actually means is that governments have no authority over individuals.

Adjustments of borders between states should not happen except with the approval of both of the state’s involved and the national government.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Sat May 22, 2021 5:54 am

Northern Socialist Council Republics wrote:
Cetacea wrote:And they do have a point, if a majority of voters in a county want to change then why should they be blocked from doing so?

Extend that line of reasoning a bit and you see how absurd it is: If the majority of voters in a household want to join a different county then why should they be blocked from doing so?

The logical end result of the principle of self-determination is anarchy. If you accept that people have a right to freely choose which government has authority over them, then what that actually means is that governments have no authority over individuals.

Adjustments of borders between states should not happen except with the approval of both of the state’s involved and the national government.

You do need the approval of both states and the national government. This will go nowhere as the Oregon legislature won’t even give it a committee hearing.

Panslavicland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Panslavicland » Sat May 22, 2021 6:24 am

While I sympathize, I think this would only result in retaliatory measures where liberal areas in conservative states do the same thing and as a result nothing is solved in the end. A better solution would be to introduce the electoral college to statewide elections, so that rural counties gain the same level of increased influence that rural states now have in federal elections.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat May 22, 2021 6:29 am

Panslavicland wrote:While I sympathize, I think this would only result in retaliatory measures where liberal areas in conservative states do the same thing and as a result nothing is solved in the end. A better solution would be to introduce the electoral college to statewide elections, so that rural counties gain the same level of increased influence that rural states now have in federal elections.

But why do rural areas need increased influence?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General