NATION

PASSWORD

Deit the Tor

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Borvosky
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Deit the Tor

Postby Borvosky » Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 am

This is an allegory of the creation of Christianity

(Just so that anyone who reads this understands, it's a allegory of one of the many ways that Christianity might of been formed. Yes I am an atheist.)

There once was a woman named Deit who lived in the town of Romulus. She was a woman of faith. She followed the ways of torism through out her life. She was raised a Tor by her parents who where also raised Tor by their parents who where raised Tor by their parents and so on and so on. She was confused by its origin and even questioned it at the Torin temple. She soon learned that one must not question it, but accept it and believe it or they would be punished. So she willingly accepted it and went on her life. Torism was not a popular religion in the town of Romulus and was often criticized by the towns officials. Deit was often reminded by her parents on how lucky she was to even be allowed to pray all three times each day (four times on the Torin rest holiday.) This made her feel more honored to be apart of this religion and furthered her faith profoundly. One of her friends, who was also raised in a Torin family, once questioned the existence of a higher power, she was astonished and angered by the very idea that all that was taught to her was a lie. That friend was later exiled from the Torin community in Romulus after being called a hieratic. Later in life Deit started to question some of the moral of the Torin religion herself. She still accepted and strongly believed the existence of a higher power, but she was skeptic on some of the key point to the religion.

One day while watering her families garden, she slipped on a puddle of leaking water and bumped her head on the ground knocking her out for some time. During this time of incapacitation she was visited in her dream by a figure. It told her that the followers of Torism where following the wrong path. The figure began to explain the right path of torism and what needed to be changed. When she came to she began to tell everyone of her dream. They thought she was crazy and simply laughed at the story. Determined to spread the truth, she began a Torin sect called Biblism. She wrote a book that explained what moral where right and what moral where false. People thought that the new sect was blasphemy and denounced it. laughing at the fact that there wasn’t even any history behind the new religion proving its authenticity. Deit, realizing that the only way people would follow her was by making a history behind Biblism, formed a back story behind it. She looked at the history behind Torism and found a specific point in it where she could diverge the storyline where by a new prophet came about and spread the good word of Biblism. She made the prophet a male named Avra. She began to say how Avar heard the word of god and was told that god will send his son down from haven to revile the truth. To help her with the creation of the story, she looked at older, outdated religions where by she could copy off parts of their back story and use it as her own. After finally completing the story she then again spread the word of Biblism.

This time with a structured back story people started believing her and joined her new religion. Biblism soon came to be one of the largest religions of Romulus attracting attention from town officials, but not in a positive way. The towns people saw her as a heretic, not only from the faithful torins, but from the many other religions of Romulus. This lead to believers in the Biblism faith being shunned, arrested, and even beaten for not believing in what other believed in. Deit had no power and could not do anything ,but just try to withstand the torment knowing that she knew of no other place to go. One day a terrible civilian unrest caused the Romulus government to collapse throwing the city into chaos. Deit hid until the chaos was over and the riots where settled. With the Romulus government no longer oppressing the Biblin people, Deit's faith could spread freely among the lands. People everywhere accepted the new religion and believed in it profoundly. The religion lasted for over two thousand and nine years.
Last edited by Borvosky on Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Prince Chula
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Deit the Tor

Postby Prince Chula » Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 am

May I suggest one thing?

Could you please rearrange the whole text, so it's easier to read and understand without destroying my eye.
Last edited by Prince Chula on Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By faith, we shall do the miracle.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 pm

Borvosky wrote:This is an allegory of the creation of Christianity

Um... not really.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:Um... not really.

Yes it is, it's just that the analogy works in mysterious ways.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Borvosky
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Borvosky » Mon May 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Just so that anyone who reads this understands, it's a allegory of one of the many ways that Christianity might of been formed. Yes I am an atheist.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

It's so amusing when people who are not members of a group decide to make up explanatory tales about that group... :roll:
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Heaven Hieghts
Minister

Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heaven Hieghts » Mon May 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Muravyets wrote:It's so amusing when people who are not members of a group decide to make up explanatory tales about that group... :roll:

Oh, I know but isnt it?
Guess what, I'm radical left

Borvosky
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Borvosky » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Muravyets wrote:It's so amusing when people who are not members of a group decide to make up explanatory tales about that group... :roll:

You do not need to be a part of that group to know who they are and what they believe in (especially a group that is as open to the public as this one)
Last edited by Borvosky on Tue May 12, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Tue May 12, 2009 1:03 pm

If you search this on Google, you get only this thread. (not counting irrelavant stuff) Also, on Wikipedia, there is no mention to "Tor" other than something relating to the Pashtun tribes of Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. Therefore, you cannot be raised a Tor, just the same as you can't be raised Chinese or African. You can be raised according to these traditions, but not to be exactly that race or tribe.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Your a naughty atheist.

Making us all look bad.
RoI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Western Mercenary Unio - Yeah, you kinda make idiocy an art

Haikus are easy,
They don't always make much sense,
Refrigerator

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Borvosky wrote:

You do not need to be a part of that group to know who they are and what they believe in (especially a group that is as open to the public as this one)

Well, as soon as you actually figure any of those things out, feel free to rewrite your little fiction and trot it out again. As it stands -- meh, just another person who thinks it makes them look to cool to presume to tell others what their beliefs are all about.

Borvosky
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Borvosky » Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm

North Wiedna wrote:If you search this on Google, you get only this thread. (not counting irrelavant stuff) Also, on Wikipedia, there is no mention to "Tor" other than something relating to the Pashtun tribes of Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. Therefore, you cannot be raised a Tor, just the same as you can't be raised Chinese or African. You can be raised according to these traditions, but not to be exactly that race or tribe.

that is why this is only a allegory. Its fiction, but it represents an actual event

Borvosky
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Borvosky » Wed May 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Borvosky wrote:

Well, as soon as you actually figure any of those things out, feel free to rewrite your little fiction and trot it out again. As it stands -- meh, just another person who thinks it makes them look to cool to presume to tell others what their beliefs are all about.

But I do know. I was hoping that someone would find all the connections, but here they are

Torism=Judaism ("tor" is from the word Torah, the Jewish holy book)

Biblism=Christianity (Bib is from the word Bible, the name of the Christan holy book (( I did not use the word Testism since there was two versions of them. ))

Romulus=Rome, or the roman empire. Christianity was developed when the roman empire was around. Christians where heavily tortured by them, until the collapse of the roman empire where by they where able to finally practice their beliefs freely.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Wed May 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Borvosky wrote:But I do know. I was hoping that someone would find all the connections, but here they are

Biblism=Christianity (Bib is from the word Bible, the name of the Christan holy book (( I did not use the word Testism since there was two versions of them. ))

Romulus=Rome, or the roman empire. Christianity was developed when the roman empire was around. Christians where heavily tortured by them, until the collapse of the roman empire where by they where able to finally practice their beliefs freely.

No, shit...really? Gosh, I never would have picked up on all that, seeing as how it was buried so deep in a BS pile of presumptuous attitude.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Farnhamia Redux
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Farnhamia Redux » Wed May 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Borvosky wrote:But I do know. I was hoping that someone would find all the connections, but here they are

No, shit...really? Gosh, I never would have picked up on all that, seeing as how it was buried so deep in a BS pile of presumptuous attitude.

Just so.

Oh, and while Christianity did develop in the Roman Empire, it was only periodically persecuted and usually all the Empire wanted was that you should make a nice little sacrifice to the health and success of the Emperor. Far from having to wait until the Empire collapsed in order to practice their beliefs freely, Christianity effectively took over the Empire during the 4th century. Considering that the Western Empire didn't disappear until the end of the 5th century, and, depending on how you figure it, the Eastern Empire came damned close to lasting until the end of the 15th, the Empire co-existed quite nicely with the Roman Empire.

So, yeah, like Muravyets said, a BS pile of presumptuous attitude.
Last edited by Farnhamia Redux on Wed May 13, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since when is reality a popularity contest? ~ VoijaRisa

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General