NATION

PASSWORD

Worker Enslaved At SC Restaurant For 5 years

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sparanoda
Secretary

Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sparanoda » Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Greater Cosmicium wrote:
Genivaria wrote:How did this go on for so long? Why is this sort of thing even possible in the first place!?

Welcome to America, where slavery is okay if it's a punishment for arbitrary crimes.

And it's all because of a loophole in the 13th Amendment:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

That "loophole" has nothing to do with this. Slavery/involuntary servitude is punishment for a crime following a criminal conviction in court. You think this guy was going "oh, well, the constitution says I can do this, otherwise I wouldn't"?

The Two Jerseys wrote:
Lady Victory wrote:
You presume the two are mutually exclusive.

Somehow I doubt that this guy would've given Forrest Gump a pass just for being white.

My guess is that it is like apartheid in South Africa, where racism was just a tool used to accomplish the real objective of subjugation. He took advantage of the racial situation, but probably wasn't the cause, though I suppose that it is possible that potential racist views were part of the decision-making process, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.
If I am replying to something you said, please know that I tried my best to understand what you were trying to say. I apologize if I misunderstood, please forgive me and correct my interpretation while maintaining civility and manners expected of a decent person.

Thank you.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Side 3 wrote:Five years? The other employees who just stood back and watched as this happened are just as guilty as the boss. The whole lot of them should be thrown in prison for what they did to that man.

Greater Cesnica wrote:Under capitalism such abuses are inevitable

And of course the great minds of NSG hop on to this man's plight to broadcast their politics. Please, tell me how forced slavery is somehow inevitable under capitalism, but not other systems.

Implying literally forcing a black man to work for no pay for over 5 years while abusing the shit out of him is "apolitically motivated". Get fucking real.

And yes, slavery is inevitable under capitalism, as the profit motive inherently encourages the bosses to steal as much of the wealth generated by the workers as they can possibly get away with.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Sparanoda wrote:
Greater Cosmicium wrote:
Welcome to America, where slavery is okay if it's a punishment for arbitrary crimes.

That "loophole" has nothing to do with this. Slavery/involuntary servitude is punishment for a crime following a criminal conviction in court. You think this guy was going "oh, well, the constitution says I can do this, otherwise I wouldn't"?

The Two Jerseys wrote:Somehow I doubt that this guy would've given Forrest Gump a pass just for being white.

My guess is that it is like apartheid in South Africa, where racism was just a tool used to accomplish the real objective of subjugation. He took advantage of the racial situation, but probably wasn't the cause, though I suppose that it is possible that potential racist views were part of the decision-making process, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

I'd say the difference between a hypothetically-real Forrest Gump and this guy is that racism simultaneously enabled the jackass that did it to think he was justified, and made others overlook the red flags that would have caused them to intervene on Gump's behalf.
Last edited by Grenartia on Sat May 01, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Sat May 01, 2021 4:14 pm

This whole story makes me feel sick. Wonder if they beat the restaurant owner for 5 Years straight if he would survive. Someone had to have known this was going on?
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:18 pm

Grenartia wrote:Implying literally forcing a black man to work for no pay for over 5 years while abusing the shit out of him is "apolitically motivated". Get fucking real.

Being a piece of shit is political now?

Grenartia wrote:And yes, slavery is inevitable under capitalism, as the profit motive inherently encourages the bosses to steal as much of the wealth generated by the workers as they can possibly get away with.

Is that why pretty much every capitalist country on the planet has illegalized slavery except for use on prisoners? Hell, even then it isn't slavery, because the prisoners still oftentimes receive payment.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:I don't know why the article feels the need to mention the race of everyone involved when race had nothing to do with it.

You're saying it's not noteworthy that a white man enslaved a black man in a former slave state?

That's an...interesting take.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Greater Cosmicium wrote:
Genivaria wrote:How did this go on for so long? Why is this sort of thing even possible in the first place!?

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Prison labor has nothing to do with this.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Aerlanica
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Aerlanica » Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Grenartia wrote:I'd say the difference between a hypothetically-real Forrest Gump and this guy is that racism simultaneously enabled the jackass that did it to think he was justified, and made others overlook the red flags that would have caused them to intervene on Gump's behalf.

Um, you're forgetting the part where Smith had "intellectual disabilities"

So not only were people overlooking it because "well, I mean, it's not my problem" and it was perpetrated because of (possibly) race. It was also because this Smith guy's brain wasn't working as well as it could.

So basically Edward "enslaved" because of race and intellectual disabilities. Which makes him look like an even bigger dick.

The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:This whole story makes me feel sick. Wonder if they beat the restaurant owner for 5 Years straight if he would survive. Someone had to have known this was going on?

Eh..probably, they just were most likely coerced into saying nothing because of threats to themselves like losing their job or other forms of leverage...it's real bad business right here.
Welcome to Aerlanica! the resident punching bag of the entire universe! God forsakes us, Hell hates us, Tech is stolen by us, fascists fear us and NS stats are ignored by us. Come for the democracy! Stay for the Fanaticism!

We don't "Steal Tech"

No no no no no.

We Secretly Transfer Equipment to Alternative Locations, and they just so happen to be your army's equipment...

...which we arbitrarily acquired without acquiring prior consent.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sat May 01, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't care what the motive is; modern day slavery and human trafficking should be pushed by death if the slaver is duly convicted.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Holocene Extinction

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 pm

Side 3 wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Implying literally forcing a black man to work for no pay for over 5 years while abusing the shit out of him is "apolitically motivated". Get fucking real.

Being a piece of shit is political now?

It generally always is, on some level.

Grenartia wrote:And yes, slavery is inevitable under capitalism, as the profit motive inherently encourages the bosses to steal as much of the wealth generated by the workers as they can possibly get away with.

Is that why pretty much every capitalist country on the planet has illegalized slavery except for use on prisoners?

The exception that proves the rule, because slavery was such a fucking problem that people demanded a government-enforced limitation on capitalism.

Hell, even then it isn't slavery, because the prisoners still oftentimes receive payment.

Wage slavery is a thing.

Aerlanica
Spokesperson

Postby Aerlanica » Sat May 01, 2021 4:23 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:I don't care what the motive is; modern day slavery and human trafficking should be pushed by death if the slaver is duly convicted.

Couldn't agree more; probably one of the few things that I will accept the death penalty to be used for.

Slavery is a stain on humanity, we should be showing to anyone thinking of doing such a heinous thing not only history, but how we deal with those scum.
Last edited by Aerlanica on Sat May 01, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Aerlanica! the resident punching bag of the entire universe! God forsakes us, Hell hates us, Tech is stolen by us, fascists fear us and NS stats are ignored by us. Come for the democracy! Stay for the Fanaticism!

We don't "Steal Tech"

No no no no no.

We Secretly Transfer Equipment to Alternative Locations, and they just so happen to be your army's equipment...

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 01, 2021 4:23 pm

Aerlanica wrote:
Grenartia wrote:I'd say the difference between a hypothetically-real Forrest Gump and this guy is that racism simultaneously enabled the jackass that did it to think he was justified, and made others overlook the red flags that would have caused them to intervene on Gump's behalf.

So not only were people overlooking it because "well, I mean, it's not my problem" and it was perpetrated because of (possibly) race. It was also because this Smith guy's brain wasn't working as well as it could.

So basically Edward "enslaved" because of race and intellectual disabilities. Which makes him look like an even bigger dick.

You don't know who Forrest Gump is, do you? The character had intellectual disabilities as well. Thus, in a reality where Forrest Gump is a real person, the only effective difference between him and this man is their skin color.

Aerlanica
Spokesperson

Postby Aerlanica » Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Aerlanica wrote:

You don't know who Forrest Gump is, do you? The character had intellectual disabilities as well. Thus, in a reality where Forrest Gump is a real person, the only effective difference between him and this man is their skin color.

hmmm...yeah...yeah I can see that.

Sorry about the confusion.

We don't "Steal Tech"

No no no no no.

New Vedan
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vedan » Sat May 01, 2021 4:31 pm

What the actual fuck?!? How did that go on for so long? Did nobody every question why this man was working for so many hours without getting paid? Did he never complain to his coworkers or customers about? Or even his friends or family? Why the hell didnt he just tell his boss to go fuck himself and walk out? I mean seriously how did he even survive without getting paid for 5 years? I have so many questions about this case...

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sat May 01, 2021 4:59 pm

I am shocked that the place where The Confederacy was founded is still racist and has people trying to practice slavery.

shocked i say
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 pm

New Vedan wrote:What the actual fuck?!? How did that go on for so long? Did nobody every question why this man was working for so many hours without getting paid? Did he never complain to his coworkers or customers about? Or even his friends or family? Why the hell didnt he just tell his boss to go fuck himself and walk out? I mean seriously how did he even survive without getting paid for 5 years? I have so many questions about this case...

intellectual disabilities.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm

New Vedan wrote:What the actual fuck?!? How did that go on for so long? Did nobody every question why this man was working for so many hours without getting paid? Did he never complain to his coworkers or customers about? Or even his friends or family? Why the hell didnt he just tell his boss to go fuck himself and walk out? I mean seriously how did he even survive without getting paid for 5 years? I have so many questions about this case...

In South Korea it's been known to go on for 30 years.

Yeah, salt and seaweed farmers in SK's West coast, the islands specifically, love snatching up people with disabilities and using them as slave labor. Government doesn't even give a shit and only steps in when people make a stick of it, and then forget it's happening within 6 months.

This is common throughout the world.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sat May 01, 2021 5:04 pm

Some people think it's still the 50s. The 1850s.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat May 01, 2021 5:30 pm

At least it isn't hard labor.
Edit: wtf
that's abuse
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat May 01, 2021 5:35 pm

every damn day
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat May 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Honestly, the Restaurant owner should be forced to give everything he owns to the guy, and that would be getting off lightly.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sat May 01, 2021 5:39 pm

poor guy, his abuser should be jailed for life.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Under capitalism such abuses are inevitable, unfortunately. I'm sure there are numerous others who are suffering the same plight as the victim in this case right now.

Under any other system, everyone is a slave to one leader or party.

The best we can do is to pour resources into stopping human trafficking and abuse such as this. Not incarcerating for victimless crimes would be a helpful start in freeing up resources. If we stopped trying to punish shit that shouldn’t be a crime, then law enforcement would be able to focus on stopping abuse such as what happened at the restaurant.
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Sat May 01, 2021 6:34 pm

Nevertopia wrote:poor guy, his abuser should be jailed for life.

The abuser doesn’t deserve to have that much money poured into incarcerating them. This should be a capital offense.
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Mercatus wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:poor guy, his abuser should be jailed for life.

The abuser doesn’t deserve to have that much money poured into incarcerating them. This should be a capital offense.

Killing him would cost more money actually, not that I disagree with this being a capital offense.

Holocene Extinction

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General