NATION

PASSWORD

Toxic Masculinity Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Mon May 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Atheris wrote:
1. Does toxic masculinity exist / to which extent does it exist?
2. How did it come to exist according to you?
3. How can it be solved, if it has to be solved?

1. Yes, and it's a problem.
2. The same way misogyny did.
3. It has to be solved. We solve it by destroying traditional gender roles. Stop making men the breadwinner, stop making women the housekeeper. Let a man raise a child, let a woman join the army. Let a man be a nurse, let a woman be a cop.

Already happened where I live. My dad makes less and keeps the house organized just as much as my mom. I was raised equally by my mom and dad. I know female cops and male nurses
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:Toxic Masculinity does not exist

Literally ever high school movie ever: "bruh."
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Mon May 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Atheris wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

ok
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Mon May 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Atheris wrote:
3. It has to be solved. We solve it by destroying traditional gender roles. Stop making men the breadwinner, stop making women the housekeeper. Let a man raise a child, let a woman join the army. Let a man be a nurse, let a woman be a cop.

Already happened where I live. My dad makes less and keeps the house organized just as much as my mom. I was raised equally by my mom and dad. I know female cops and male nurses

This is just your anecdotal experience, however. The true question is whether equality, alongside equity, exists on the general plane.

Winiscia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Winiscia » Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Atheris wrote:

While I think its great that your upbringing has been more or less neutral as far as gender roles go, anecdotal evidence demonstrating the swapping of those roles in your own life does not amount to a substantial argument as to why it doesn't exist.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon May 03, 2021 7:17 pm

To be completely honest I associate the term more with a political/social agenda then I do with whatever actions it’s supposed to describe, which I tend to just file under “dickwad” activity.

Instead most of the time when I see the subject of toxic masculinity pop up it’s general meant as an attack against activities that are traditionally considered to be masculine and that the individual accusing doesn’t particularly like, generally followed by accusations of compensating for small dick size.

But that may just be due to the crowds and situations I’ve come across.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Adamede wrote:To be completely honest I associate the term more with a political/social agenda then I do with whatever actions it’s supposed to describe, which I tend to just file under “dickwad” activity.

Instead most of the time when I see the subject of toxic masculinity pop up it’s general meant as an attack against activities that are traditionally considered to be masculine and that the individual accusing doesn’t particularly like, generally followed by accusations of compensating for small dick size.

We've seen it in this thread.

Largely, with a few exceptions, those who have been supporting of "toxic masculinity" as a term are the same ones trying to shame men into not complaining about it using traditional male gender roles surrounding stoicism and silent resilience.

There's a huge overlap there - as we've seen in this thread. In fact, it's downright eerie how it comes up damn near without fail.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm

Toxic Masculinity is not dating single moms, but making them.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 pm

Galloism wrote:
Adamede wrote:To be completely honest I associate the term more with a political/social agenda then I do with whatever actions it’s supposed to describe, which I tend to just file under “dickwad” activity.

We've seen it in this thread.

Largely, with a few exceptions, those who have been supporting of "toxic masculinity" as a term are the same ones trying to shame men into not complaining about it using traditional male gender roles surrounding stoicism and silent resilience.

There's a huge overlap there - as we've seen in this thread. In fact, it's downright eerie how it comes up damn near without fail.

I'm still not sure what activities it's supposed to be a catch-all for.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Phenix Springs
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenix Springs » Tue May 04, 2021 1:48 am

Toxic masculinity doesn’t really exist.

The only “toxic masculinity” that actually does exist is crude jokes made about females by men.

But females do the exact same thing, but nobody calls it “toxic femininity”.

I work in a fairly big office, and the jokes are rife among both sexes. It’s not an issue and people take it in good fun.
The City of Phenix Springs

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 6:07 am

Phenix Springs wrote:Toxic masculinity doesn’t really exist.

The only “toxic masculinity” that actually does exist is crude jokes made about females by men.

I work in a fairly big office, and the jokes are rife among both sexes. It’s not an issue and people take it in good fun.

That's not what toxic masculinity is. I mean making crude jokes about women could be part of it but it's the tip of the iceberg.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue May 04, 2021 6:42 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Phenix Springs wrote:Toxic masculinity doesn’t really exist.

That's not what toxic masculinity is. I mean making crude jokes about women could be part of it but it's the tip of the iceberg.

Then what is it?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 am

CoraSpia wrote:

Then what is it?

Made up nonsense driven by penis envy.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am

CoraSpia wrote:

Then what is it?

The following is toxic masculinity:

•Only valuing a woman for her physical appearance and saying sexually demeaning and degrading things about her.

•Telling a man who isn't as strong as you that he isn't really a man at all.

•Believing that constantly starting physical fights with people makes you even more manly and not just a menace to society.

Basically think of the biggest scumbag jock you ever were in school with, or, if you're American, think about the guy with a punisher skull on his truck and a come take it bumper sticker who talks about his guns like he went and married them. Toxic masculinity is when a person or society defines masculinity in a very obnoxious and confrontational manner.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 7:50 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Then what is it?

Made up nonsense driven by penis envy.

What the gods honest fuck is penis envy?

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue May 04, 2021 7:56 am

CoraSpia wrote:

Then what is it?

A self-defeating title for when men have male gender roles shoved onto them by both men and women and it leads to them not reacting well and/or shoving it on other men in turn, or something like that. The term is oftentimes viewed as an attack on masculinity in general, which it is how it is sometimes used (intentionally or not).

Grinning Dragon wrote:Made up nonsense driven by penis envy.

supposed envy of the male's possession of a penis, postulated by Freud to account for some aspects of female behavior (notably the castration complex) but controversial among modern theorists.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Tue May 04, 2021 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 am

•Only valuing a woman for her physical appearance and saying sexually demeaning and degrading things about her.

•Believing that constantly starting physical fights with people makes you even more manly and not just a menace to society.

Basically think of the biggest scumbag jock you ever were in school with, or, if you're American, think about the guy with a punisher skull on his truck and a come take it bumper sticker who talks about his guns like he went and married them. Toxic masculinity is when a person or society defines masculinity in a very obnoxious and confrontational manner.

And some women also exhibit those same behaviors, which isn't toxic as well. Just call for what it is, someone being a shitbag.
And LOL on the punisher skull and talks about guns. That isn't toxic.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

And some women also exhibit those same behaviors, which isn't toxic as well. Just call for what it is, someone being a shitbag.

I mean it kind of is. As a gun owner myself, I think it's annoying when someone brings their guns up in a context it isn't warranted in. Like it's cool to like guns but don't start trying to impress people and show off with them. The primary reason imo someone should own a firearm is self defense.

Also we do have a term for when women exhibit toxic version of feminine behavior. Toxic femininity.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:

A self-defeating title for when men have male gender roles shoved onto them by both men and women and it leads to them not reacting well and/or shoving it on other men in turn, or something like that. The term is oftentimes viewed as an attack on masculinity in general, which it is how it is sometimes used (intentionally or not).

supposed envy of the male's possession of a penis, postulated by Freud to account for some aspects of female behavior (notably the castration complex) but controversial among modern theorists.

I can't say with certainty that there are zero women in the world who envy penises but I'm fairly certain 95+% of women don't. I mean I don't envy vaginas. They just exist. So why would a woman think "it sure sucks I don't have a dick"

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

I mean it kind of is. As a gun owner myself, I think it's annoying when someone brings their guns up in a context it isn't warranted in. Like it's cool to like guns but don't start trying to impress people and show off with them. The primary reason imo someone should own a firearm is self defense.

Also we do have a term for when women exhibit toxic version of feminine behavior. Toxic femininity.

People like to interject and brag about their shit in conversations unrelated to the topic at hand. Happens amongst our group, we acknowledge the brag and move on, nothing about it is toxic, annoying yes, toxic no.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

So instead of using a needlessly divisive expression, it surely makes more sense for society to tackle those things in a separate and non-gendered way, no?

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 am

Ayytaly wrote:Toxic Masculinity is not dating single moms, but making them.

"toxic masculinity is when you die"
-Ayytaly, 2021 :p
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Kowani wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:Toxic Masculinity is not dating single moms, but making them.

"toxic masculinity is when you die"
-Ayytaly, 2021 :p

Toxic masculinity is when you're ticking me off, and the more you make me mad, the toxic masculinitier it is.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm

CoraSpia wrote:

So instead of using a needlessly divisive expression, it surely makes more sense for society to tackle those things in a separate and non-gendered way, no?

Fair enough, what do you think we should call this toxic version of male gender roles?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General