NATION

PASSWORD

Burn, Bernie, Burn!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Burn, Bernie, Burn!

Postby Deus Malum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 am

Parthenon wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:
Parthenon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFaElFI_s0
See the (R)? Stop with the thread jack to make your nonsensical claims about fox, this is a Bernie Madoff thread.

Nonsensical? They ALREADY did this once with Mark Foley. Whether my source on this is wrong or not. And since when are you the thread police?

Excerpt from the forum rules:
Thread Hijacking: Appropriating a thread for a discussion totally unrelated to the original purpose of said thread. Hijacking can take the form of a single post or a long discussion. Such posts may be split or deleted, and the poster warned.

Since this thread is about Bernie Madoff, not Fox news, you are hijacking it. I do not claim to be the thread police, however, if you would like me to inform them I would more than happy to.

Ah, so your aside about Obama's health care policies was also in violation.
Thanks.
"Blood for the Blood God!" - Khorne Berserker
"Harriers for the Cup!" *shoots* - Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 am

EDIT: NVM, link not in existence anymore
Last edited by Vervaria on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am

Edit: Link issue resolved.
Last edited by Deus Malum on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am

Yeah, just caught that myself, edited the post.
Fact book

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 am

Deus Malum wrote:Ah, so your aside about Obama's health care policies was also in violation.
Thanks.

My comment was about Bernie Madoff most likely receiving a presidential pardon down the road while yours on the other hand was pointless image linking to argue against Fox News with no relevance to Madoff whatsoever.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 am

stupid freaking glitch
Last edited by Ashmoria on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
whatever

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 am

Parthenon wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:Ah, so your aside about Obama's health care policies was also in violation.
Thanks.

My comment was about Bernie Madoff most likely receiving a presidential pardon down the road while yours on the other hand was pointless image linking to argue against Fox News with no relevance to Madoff whatsoever.

Actually mine was about the side discussion regarding the integrity of Fox News, which was relevant to the exchange going on in the thread about Fox News. Your inability to pick up on basic context is not my problem.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am

New Mitanni wrote:
IMO Madoff got off easy. But hopefully he'll be sent to some prison suitable to criminals of his magnitude, and not some country club lock-up. Likely he won't even make it to the 12 years his mouthpiece was asking the court for. He may not even survive the (inevitable :roll: ) appeals process.

Quite a lifestyle change, eh Bernie?

can you appeal when you plead guilty?
whatever

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am

Deus Malum wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Thanks.

Actually mine was about the side discussion regarding the integrity of Fox News, which was relevant to the exchange going on in the thread about Fox News. Your inability to pick up on basic context is not my problem.

For the last time, this thread isn't about Fox news though, its about Bernie Madoff. Just because other posters were participating in thread jacking doesn't make it appropriate for you to join in.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am

Vervaria wrote:EDIT: NVM, link not in existence anymore

Does no one see my link :(

:p
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 am

Ashmoria wrote:
New Mitanni wrote:
IMO Madoff got off easy. But hopefully he'll be sent to some prison suitable to criminals of his magnitude, and not some country club lock-up. Likely he won't even make it to the 12 years his mouthpiece was asking the court for. He may not even survive the (inevitable :roll: ) appeals process.

Quite a lifestyle change, eh Bernie?

Yes, however you must show that the plea was uniformed and not voluntary. Basically, you would have to argue that your original lawyer committed malpractice which is going to be quite difficult with a high profile case like this.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 am

Parthenon wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:
Parthenon wrote:My comment was about Bernie Madoff most likely receiving a presidential pardon down the road while yours on the other hand was pointless image linking to argue against Fox News with no relevance to Madoff whatsoever.

For the last time, this thread isn't about Fox news though, its about Bernie Madoff. Just because other posters were participating in thread jacking doesn't make it appropriate for you to join in.

The only person who keeps making an issue out of this, and continuing this threadjack, is you. Get over it, understand what the discussion earlier was about, read up on the concept of context, and move on.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 am

Parthenon wrote:
Thanks.

You know, I'm pretty sure Madoff wont actually be receiving a pardon.

I have no idea why you would think that.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 am

Ravea wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Thanks.

I'm fairly certain that he doesn't, and he was just trolling Democrats. To be a bit more OT, Madoff got what he deserved, may he rot in prison. (And not receive a pardon :roll: )
Fact book

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 am

Ravea wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Thanks.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm
Take a good look at some of Clinton's pardons. It wouldn't be unprecedented to pardon someone for such a crime. Since a majority of the money is unaccounted for there is also the potential for bribery in making a case for getting apardon. Not only bribery in the sense of money exchanging hands, but bribery in the sense that he could turn it over to the administration to help with their PR.
Last edited by Parthenon on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 am

Parthenon wrote:
Ravea wrote:
Parthenon wrote:My comment was about Bernie Madoff most likely receiving a presidential pardon down the road while yours on the other hand was pointless image linking to argue against Fox News with no relevance to Madoff whatsoever.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm
Take a good look at some of Clinton's pardons. It wouldn't be unprecedented to pardon someone for such a crime. Since a majority of the money is unaccounted for there is also the potential for bribery in making a case for getting apardon. Not only bribery in the sense of money exchanging hands, but bribery in the sense that he could turn it over to the administration to help with their PR.

None of these people (or all the people Bush pardoned) embezzled hundreds of billions of dollars. You know as well as I no one will ever pardon Madoff.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

The Surinam Enclave
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Surinam Enclave » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 am

That bernie maddorf is severely punished is the only acceptable outcome of this world-wide tragedy.

This............. man....... has caused such economical and personal damage to companies, institutions and persons that the effect wil be felt in years to come. That the common man can see that these vile criminals are taken down is something that i am true glad off.

However, I am not suprised that certain elements in the US goverment, upper-class soceity and private sector wants to make an example of this criminal. Somehow I have also the nagging feeling that the second reason to punish him is plain-out revenge. Imagine how many wealty, influential and powerful people have been duped by him...then imagine the collective rage of these people....and the sheer force they have wielded to take out their revenge.

If you are a common man and have to cross blades with these people.........plain right scary.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:14 am

I was pretty sure he would get the max, which just happened to add up to 150 years. To me the funniest thing, and the detail that explains so very very much about Bernie Madoff, was that he had the BALLS to ask the court for just 12 years. WTF? :lol2:
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 am

Muravyets wrote:To me the funniest thing, and the detail that explains so very very much about Bernie Madoff, was that he had the BALLS to ask the court for just 12 years. WTF? :lol2:

Can't blame a man for trying.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:17 am

actually i don't like fox because they ARE slavish proponents of a political agenda that is completely both illogical and irresponsible. same goes for cnn and to an only slightly lesser degree, the rest of corporate media in general, which, when corporate economic intrests run the state, corporate media IS state media.

as for this guy, (mattox) well he's maybe more of a mixed bag then he's given credit for.
none the less, well i don't have the same evidence in front of me the judge had so i'm not going to back bench his decision.

you can almost bet though, that the kind of prison and treatment he's going to receive is substantially softer then some joe sixpack who robbed a liqure store to pay his invalid wife's hospital bills or something.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 am

The Surinam Enclave wrote:That bernie maddorf is severely punished is the only acceptable outcome of this world-wide tragedy.

This............. man....... has caused such economical and personal damage to companies, institutions and persons that the effect wil be felt in years to come. That the common man can see that these vile criminals are taken down is something that i am true glad off.

However, I am not suprised that certain elements in the US goverment, upper-class soceity and private sector wants to make an example of this criminal. Somehow I have also the nagging feeling that the second reason to punish him is plain-out revenge. Imagine how many wealty, influential and powerful people have been duped by him...then imagine the collective rage of these people....and the sheer force they have wielded to take out their revenge.

If you are a common man and have to cross blades with these people.........plain right scary.

Pardon me, but how did people so "influential" and "powerful" manage to fall for promised returns too good to possibly be legitimate? I keep hearing from wealth-humping sycophants that those who invest are so very smart, else they wouldn't be so successful. Seems to me like those who drank Bernie's Kool-Aid deserved what they got, too, for being blinded by their own greed. So yeah, Bernie's gonna serve "150 years" in a country-club federal prison for white-collar naughty boys, and those who lost a lot of money are just as screwed. I find it hard to dredge up sympathy.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am

Intangelon wrote:Pardon me, but how did people so "influential" and "powerful" manage to fall for promised returns too good to possibly be legitimate? I keep hearing from wealth-humping sycophants that those who invest are so very smart, else they wouldn't be so successful. Seems to me like those who drank Bernie's Kool-Aid deserved what they got, too, for being blinded by their own greed. So yeah, Bernie's gonna serve "150 years" in a country-club federal prison for white-collar naughty boys, and those who lost a lot of money are just as screwed. I find it hard to dredge up sympathy.

You might want to try a little harder, Intangelon. Many of Madoff's victims were separated from him by a couple of degrees of bad management. He ripped off pension and investment funds because he was able to dupe fund managers who should have known better -- but the real victims were individual investors in the funds who could not afford to lose the money the fund manager lost for them. More of Madoff's victims were charities investing in funds to build their endowment reserves. Many, many charities lost more huge chunks of their reserves -- some were wiped out altogether -- and the real victims are the poor who will not receive services because the money was stolen by Madoff ripping off bad fund managers. Same with universities and educational funding services that will have to cut back or cut out services to students.

Is Madoff the only person at fault here? No, he isn't. The stupid, greedy, lazy fund managers also deserve heavy blame. But Madoff is the only actual criminal in the picture, so he gets the 150 years.

But let's not forget who the real victims of his crimes are -- retirees, pension funds, charities, schools, medical facilities, etc. The way Madoff picked his targets shows a vicious malice underneath the surface.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am

Parthenon wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Yes, however you must show that the plea was uniformed and not voluntary. Basically, you would have to argue that your original lawyer committed malpractice which is going to be quite difficult with a high profile case like this.

so there really shouldnt be endless appeals. he has no better chance of winning an appeal --even of his sentence--than larry craig had to appeal his indecent behavior plea.

"but i didnt think id get that long a sentence" isnt grounds for appeal.
whatever

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am

Muravyets wrote:
Intangelon wrote:Pardon me, but how did people so "influential" and "powerful" manage to fall for promised returns too good to possibly be legitimate? I keep hearing from wealth-humping sycophants that those who invest are so very smart, else they wouldn't be so successful. Seems to me like those who drank Bernie's Kool-Aid deserved what they got, too, for being blinded by their own greed. So yeah, Bernie's gonna serve "150 years" in a country-club federal prison for white-collar naughty boys, and those who lost a lot of money are just as screwed. I find it hard to dredge up sympathy.

You might want to try a little harder, Intangelon. Many of Madoff's victims were separated from him by a couple of degrees of bad management. He ripped off pension and investment funds because he was able to dupe fund managers who should have known better -- but the real victims were individual investors in the funds who could not afford to lose the money the fund manager lost for them. More of Madoff's victims were charities investing in funds to build their endowment reserves. Many, many charities lost more huge chunks of their reserves -- some were wiped out altogether -- and the real victims are the poor who will not receive services because the money was stolen by Madoff ripping off bad fund managers. Same with universities and educational funding services that will have to cut back or cut out services to students.

Is Madoff the only person at fault here? No, he isn't. The stupid, greedy, lazy fund managers also deserve heavy blame. But Madoff is the only actual criminal in the picture, so he gets the 150 years.

But let's not forget who the real victims of his crimes are -- retirees, pension funds, charities, schools, medical facilities, etc. The way Madoff picked his targets shows a vicious malice underneath the surface.

Fair enough. But anyone hearing of returns so astronomical, be they the funds managers or those who the managers represent, simply must think "this sounds unreal". Unless those who hire the fund managers are so uninvolved with their money that they trust people who slew greed for a living.

It sucks that charities got involved, but who invests money without getting details about the percentage of return and how the investment works?
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:58 am

Intangelon wrote:Fair enough. But anyone hearing of returns so astronomical, be they the funds managers or those who the managers represent, simply must think "this sounds unreal". Unless those who hire the fund managers are so uninvolved with their money that they trust people who slew greed for a living.

It sucks that charities got involved, but who invests money without getting details about the percentage of return and how the investment works?

The majority of people who invest in funds really are that detached from the management of the fund. Funds can be so big and change portfolios so rapidly that nobody aside from the managers can keep track of where which money is at any given time. The funds are rated by their returns, but what produces those returns is hard to know. This is especially true when you're talking about funds that handle billions of dollars and individual investors with accounts in the millions, like big charities or universities and even pools of charities, schools, etc. You have to trust that the managers know what they are doing and will fulfill their fiduciary duty. Madoff was able to run his scam because so many fund managers failed in that respect. For those failures, they deserve punishment, in my opinion, but being bad at your job is not a crime, so it wouldn't be punishment from the legal system.

EDIT: A lot of Madoff's victims never even heard of Bernie Madoff until he got arrested. /edit

Now, yes, there were individuals who invested directly with Madoff, and those people were idiots.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General