NATION

PASSWORD

Prince Philip dies at age 99

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 am

Forsher wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Probably just incorrectly assuming that once you cross the border out of England then everyone turns into teeth gnashing fist waving monarchy haters.


[insert British teeth joke here]

The Archregimancy wrote:
Why would you assume that?

It's the policy of both the SNP and Plaid Cymru to retain the monarchy if Scotland and Wales were to achieve independence, in much the same way that Canada, Australia, and New Zealand remain monarchies. If Scotland were to become independent, Elizabeth II would simply become Elizabeth I of Scotland. And it's not as if there aren't republicans in England.

Northern Ireland is more complicated, but there the issue is unification with the Republic of Ireland rather than independence for the six counties of Northern Ireland.


In my experience, republicans tend to believe crackpot things like "New Zealand isn't independent" so they would reject this POV.

I have never thought or seen anyone say that. I'm a republican btw and I think NZ is doing great especially because of the sheep.
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 27171
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 am

Hopal wrote:I thought the plan was to inter him at Frogmore Gardens.


Frogmore Gardens is now used for more junior members of the Royal Family; while Victoria and Albert are buried there, since Edward VII the practice has typically been for monarchs and their consorts to be buried in St George's Chapel. Edward VII, George V, George VI and their wives are all buried in the chapel.

The exception, for fairly obvious reasons, was Edward VIII; the Queen's uncle was allowed to lie in state in the chapel, but the Duke of Windsor was buried at Frogmore - and his wife Wallis was buried alongside him when she died 14 years later.

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13097
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:44 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
And the Scots, Welsh, and Northern Irish are irrelevant, I suppose?


It's the French meaning of England, ie a synonym for the UK.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 27171
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
Why would you assume that?

It's the policy of both the SNP and Plaid Cymru to retain the monarchy if Scotland and Wales were to achieve independence, in much the same way that Canada, Australia, and New Zealand remain monarchies. If Scotland were to become independent, Elizabeth II would simply become Elizabeth I of Scotland. And it's not as if there aren't republicans in England.

Northern Ireland is more complicated, but there the issue is unification with the Republic of Ireland rather than independence for the six counties of Northern Ireland.

Really? i have to check that, and also there are those who want 'Scottish Republicanism'.


Of course there are; just as there are republicans across the UK. Nonetheless, the policy of the main nationalist parties in Scotland and Wales is - at least at present - retention of the monarchy in personal union. If this were to happen, we would be returning to the situation that was in place from 1603 to 1707, between the accession of James VI & I and the Acts of Union being passed under Anne.

And since you're now at risk of lecturing a Scot about Scottish politics, you might want to pause a bit.

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Islamic Holy Sites wrote:Really? i have to check that, and also there are those who want 'Scottish Republicanism'.


Of course there are; just as there are republicans across the UK. Nonetheless, the policy of the main nationalist parties in Scotland and Wales is - at least at present - retention of the monarchy in personal union. If this were to happen, we would be returning to the situation that was in place from 1603 to 1707, between the accession of James VI & I and the Acts of Union being passed under Anne.

And since you're now at risk of lecturing a Scot about Scottish politics, you might want to pause a bit.

Lecturing?
1. I didn't know you were a scot
2. I didn't know I was lecturing, I should think more about what I'm posting
3. i'm sorry I guess
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 117460
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

So how long do I have to wait,
to ask the queen out on a date?
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19012
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:I have never thought or seen anyone say that. I'm a republican btw and I think NZ is doing great especially because of the sheep.


Aside from disingenuous financial comparisons to Ireland (a much, much smaller country,* much, much closer to anywhere one wants to visit), it's their main argument.

Also, the sheep thing? Completely old hat. Been dairy cow country for years. So much so you only have sheep if you couldn't switch to dairying.

*268,021 square kilometres > 70,273 km2
Last edited by Forsher on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 am

Forsher wrote:
Islamic Holy Sites wrote:I have never thought or seen anyone say that. I'm a republican btw and I think NZ is doing great especially because of the sheep.


Aside from disingenuous financial comparisons to Ireland (a much, much smaller country, much, much closer to anywhere one wants to visit), it's their main argument.

Also, the sheep thing? Completely old hat. Been dairy cow country for years. So much so you only have sheep if you couldn't switch to dairying.

Actually, our main argument is that the monarchy does nothing, last I checked.
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34771
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:51 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:I didn't know you were a scot

Quite a few here. We get everywhere, like sand.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19012
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Aside from disingenuous financial comparisons to Ireland (a much, much smaller country, much, much closer to anywhere one wants to visit), it's their main argument.

Also, the sheep thing? Completely old hat. Been dairy cow country for years. So much so you only have sheep if you couldn't switch to dairying.

Actually, our main argument is that the monarchy does nothing, last I checked.


Are you a NZer? No? Don't use the word "our". That simple.

Mana Motuhake - Independence: New Zealand should have a New Zealand citizen as our head of state;


Don't speak of what you so very, very clearly do not know.

And if you are, somehow, an NZ republican, take you complaint up with them.
Last edited by Forsher on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Tech Modling
 
Posts: 59974
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 am

Ethel mermania wrote:So how long do I have to wait,
to ask the queen out on a date?


You? Very long. You're married after all :p
1. Tech modling. No idea what it means, but it has a fancy colour.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8. Size matters. Bigger is forbidden and won't give the mods pleasure.

User avatar
Hopal
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1398
Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hopal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:56 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hopal wrote:I thought the plan was to inter him at Frogmore Gardens.


Frogmore Gardens is now used for more junior members of the Royal Family; while Victoria and Albert are buried there, since Edward VII the practice has typically been for monarchs and their consorts to be buried in St George's Chapel. Edward VII, George V, George VI and their wives are all buried in the chapel.

The exception, for fairly obvious reasons, was Edward VIII; the Queen's uncle was allowed to lie in state in the chapel, but the Duke of Windsor was buried at Frogmore - and his wife Wallis was buried alongside him when she died 14 years later.

But I think he requested to be buried at Frogmore Gardens since it was a sentimental place for him and his wife, though I think Elizabeth will still be buried on the grounds of Windsor Castle.
A Nation in South America, comprised of indigenous tribes, immigrants, French and Portuguese settlers, and European Socialists. (To be Reviewed)
Member of the ICDN and ICRD
Representative Richard Douglas (DFL-MN-04) [Home of the Brave]
Secretary of State William Claiborne [Home of the Brave]
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland [The Coldest War]

User avatar
The Tsunterlands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Mar 23, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Tsunterlands » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:02 am

I not going to take pleasure in his death. My nan's funeral was on Tuesday so I do feel for his family, parasites though they are. He was a senile racist whose lived a life of unearned privilege because a few centuries ago the landlords decided they preferred inbred protestants to inbred Catholics but his death does not represents any kind of victory for the left or the republican movement. Celebrating it feels off, like something the alt-right would do. I think the best reaction is "oh no. Anyway."

The current media circus of "paying tributes to this great man" is sickening though. I hate how much this nation simps for their royal waifus.
The Tsunterlands is a colloquial name. The formal name is the
Cooperative Tsunter Republic (CTR)

Historically a pirate utopia. We have beautiful coasts, mountains, jungles and less beautiful feuding clans.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22946
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:02 am

Ethel mermania wrote:So how long do I have to wait,
to ask the queen out on a date?


8 days. Then her period of mourning ends.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 27171
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 am

Hopal wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
Frogmore Gardens is now used for more junior members of the Royal Family; while Victoria and Albert are buried there, since Edward VII the practice has typically been for monarchs and their consorts to be buried in St George's Chapel. Edward VII, George V, George VI and their wives are all buried in the chapel.

The exception, for fairly obvious reasons, was Edward VIII; the Queen's uncle was allowed to lie in state in the chapel, but the Duke of Windsor was buried at Frogmore - and his wife Wallis was buried alongside him when she died 14 years later.

But I think he requested to be buried at Frogmore Gardens since it was a sentimental place for him and his wife, though I think Elizabeth will still be buried on the grounds of Windsor Castle.


Looking at this more closely, it seems that different news sources are disagreeing on this.

The funeral will definitely be in St George's Chapel; there seems to be some confusion over whether he'll then be interred in the chapel - where his widow will join him in due course - or at Frogmore.

I think we'll just need to wait for the details to be made public.

User avatar
The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10587
Founded: May 14, 2013
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Aside from disingenuous financial comparisons to Ireland (a much, much smaller country, much, much closer to anywhere one wants to visit), it's their main argument.

Also, the sheep thing? Completely old hat. Been dairy cow country for years. So much so you only have sheep if you couldn't switch to dairying.

Actually, our main argument is that the monarchy does nothing, last I checked.


At the very least that puts them level with God.
The Trinity. Churchill Johnson and Thatcher.

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Bangladesh, Cook Islands, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, France, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Israel, Iraq, Ireland, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Singapore, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe are UNITED KINGDOM!!!
PC=Econ L/R:2.5(1.88): Soc Lib/Auth:-1.13(0.26)

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:05 am

Forsher wrote:
Islamic Holy Sites wrote:Actually, our main argument is that the monarchy does nothing, last I checked.


Are you a NZer? No? Don't use the word "our". That simple.

Mana Motuhake - Independence: New Zealand should have a New Zealand citizen as our head of state;


Don't speak of what you so very, very clearly do not know.

And if you are, somehow, an NZ republican, take you complaint up with them.

I meant the British movement.
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:06 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Islamic Holy Sites wrote:Actually, our main argument is that the monarchy does nothing, last I checked.


At the very least that puts them level with God.

What?
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:06 am

The Tsunterlands wrote:I not going to take pleasure in his death. My nan's funeral was on Tuesday so I do feel for his family, parasites though they are. He was a senile racist whose lived a life of unearned privilege because a few centuries ago the landlords decided they preferred inbred protestants to inbred Catholics but his death does not represents any kind of victory for the left or the republican movement. Celebrating it feels off, like something the alt-right would do. I think the best reaction is "oh no. Anyway."

The current media circus of "paying tributes to this great man" is sickening though. I hate how much this nation simps for their royal waifus.

I totally agree with this.
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39738
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:07 am

Alvecia wrote:Mostly just impressed he held on as long as he did tbf, but that's no different than anyone closing on on 100.

I was gonna say it's a shame he couldn't hold on to the big 100, but I suppose 99 is pleasing in it's own way.


Always sad to see a player fail to convert a 50 to a century. Especially when to bowler beats the bat when they're so close.

User avatar
Hopal
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1398
Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hopal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hopal wrote:But I think he requested to be buried at Frogmore Gardens since it was a sentimental place for him and his wife, though I think Elizabeth will still be buried on the grounds of Windsor Castle.


Looking at this more closely, it seems that different news sources are disagreeing on this.

The funeral will definitely be in St George's Chapel; there seems to be some confusion over whether he'll then be interred in the chapel - where his widow will join him in due course - or at Frogmore.

I think we'll just need to wait for the details to be made public.

We will have to see.
A Nation in South America, comprised of indigenous tribes, immigrants, French and Portuguese settlers, and European Socialists. (To be Reviewed)
Member of the ICDN and ICRD
Representative Richard Douglas (DFL-MN-04) [Home of the Brave]
Secretary of State William Claiborne [Home of the Brave]
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland [The Coldest War]

User avatar
Arcticfoxxo
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Arcticfoxxo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:12 am

how did he die

User avatar
Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24549
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:13 am

Arcticfoxxo wrote:how did he die


Old age?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist.

"What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful." - Pope Benedict XVI

“No one in the world can change Truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it. The real conflict is the inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the hecatombs of extermination camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?”
~ St. Maximilian Kolbe

User avatar
Islamic Holy Sites
Senator
 
Posts: 3571
Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:13 am

Arcticfoxxo wrote:how did he die

Old age, I think.
Proud member of the UIC, CFTC, LITA, the DEA and the ICDN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the UCA. Founder of the ICRD.

BREAKING NEWS: WIP


#FreeNSGRojava!

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39738
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:14 am

Arcticfoxxo wrote:how did he die


Bungee jumping accident.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Astoria-, Celritannia, CoraSpia, Doge Land, Esalia, Google Adsense [Bot], Infected Mushroom, Kortunal, Majestic-12 [Bot], North Cromch, Pasong Tirad, Soled, The Huskar Social Union, Vassenor, Yvor

Advertisement

Remove ads