NATION

PASSWORD

Regarding Work Ethic: CEO vs Worker

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who is the harder worker?

The CEO
37%
The Worker
63%

Total votes : 41

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Saiwania wrote:Of course the CEO is going to get paid more if their work/talents are more valuable than someone lower ranked. People get paid what they're worth or how much people are willing to pay them, not on how many hours they work or how much physical labor they have to do.

In the end, the employer they work for doesn't give a damn about them if they're a nobody and the company is above a certain size in terms of scale. They're easily replaceable up until they prove to be indispensible to the business or workplace they're at. To get better pay, someone has to have leverage or influence, if not skills/talents that're considered valuable to the wider economy.

What about CEOs who raise because you’ve been loyal to the company?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 pm

CEO’s being people come in all shapes and skills. Some really good, the majority are ok and some should be black listed.

My wifes CEO is a very dynamic passionate driven man. Just listening to him talk makes you want to excel. The extra value? He rewards. He cares.

Just having the CEO title isn’t a mark of something irreplaceable. If he is; he isn’t doing his job.

CEO and workers are a symbiotic relationship. If you have a bad workforce, it doesn’t matter the skill of the CEO. If he cleans house, the company get s a reputation for turnover......

Anyway......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:04 am

There are certainly some CEO's who are hard workers, there are rich people who get shit done, absolutely. But even so, who cares? Hard work is not intrinsically virtuous. What matters is the utility yielded from the labor. The good or service is what it is whether it took 30 minutes or 30 hours to produce it, whether the work was relaxing or stressful.

My first job ever was on a janitorial staff at a private school during the summer when I was a teenager, the guys there conveyed their work smart not hard approach on day one. The shredded tires need to be strewn on the playground, the textbooks need to be moved from storage, the light fixtures need to be cleaned - maybe it takes an hour, maybe it takes 4, maybe you're sore and sweaty and sunburned after, maybe not - what matters is that it's done.

And some things can and should be half-assed. If you're a NASA engineer or a surgeon, then no. But my call center job, half the time I didn't do notes like I was supposed to if it was a call where there was no reason to think the customer would call back with a problem. Some things are lower priority. For example, there is a difference between clean and neat. Clean is important, especially in these times, it has tangible hygiene benefits, neat is simply aesthetic.

The path of least resistance isn't a moral failing. We evolved to choose the path of least resistance. If our brains were wired to always prefer hard work, we would have gone extinct. "Come on, you're really just going to hunt that easy to catch turtle on the ground rather than chase a deer for the next 8 hours, where's your work ethic?" said the caveman who starved to death because he energy expenditure exceeded his intake.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:What about CEOs who raise because you’ve been loyal to the company?

It almost never happens from what I've read or seen. The people who're hired as CEOs have advanced business degrees (4 years or better) or have previous experience at managing or running major and established companies, if not have began their own startup before.

Loyalty is a sucker's game, or at least it is in the US. Corporations generally don't care about their low ranked workers, never have- because it is usually easy enough to find other people who can be hired if there is high turnover, and will pay someone as little as possible if outsourcing or automation can't be done for the jobs in question. Corporations have no hesitation in firing people that they have no further uses for. That is just how it is.

The pay statistics seem to indicate that those who stay at a single company/employer for too long, get paid less than the people who're willing to switch companies. There are more opportunities to negotiate pay upwards than if someone just stays put, as opposed to only ever getting pay increases from inflation. Someone's resume is also usually perceived as stronger or more appealing if they worked at a different company within their industry every 5 years or so, than if they can only list 1 or a few employers.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Tsarus 2142
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tsarus 2142 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 am

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Tsarus 2142 wrote:The CEO is more passionate, and is motivated to work harder, yet his life is fulfilling.

The worker's sacrifice is significantly greater. While the CEO's occupation is literally his meaningful life, simultaneously making millions or billions, the worker is simply wasting 8 hours of his life for 5 days a week, only to partake in various activities which mmmm make this dull, monotonous, HELLISH life a bit enjoyable.

The worker's life is utterly humiliating.

I want to go off on a tangent about industrialism, but I will restrain myself.

The CEO is lazier, but tries to justify their exploitation of the masses by lying to the public and sometimes themselves about how they earned it through hard work. I'm gonna call their bluff and say they're delusional if they think they're that dedicated.

The worker, on the other hand, is pretty accurate to what you said.

The CEO exploitation idea has existed since the creation of agriculture. If you're to consider "exploitation" immoral, then so is this relatively new way of life (agriculture).
I agree, the agrarian system sucks, but you really can only end this system by deconstructing civilization, stop using factories and industrial infrastructure etc., and embrace the inevitable collapse. Progress is not worthwhile lest we further widespread suffering and embrace weakness.
Last edited by Tsarus 2142 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Factbook Directory~
qna
Tier 8, Level 0, Type 5- - -6/10, 10, 10/7 Clone Troops/Militants respectively.
No stats.

Aspistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aspistan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 am

Whether or not the CEO works hard (only a few do, most make enough money to hire people to do their jobs for them) doesn't matter. The origin of the CEOs wealth is in paying the worker less than their labor is worth; this is necessary for the CEO to make profit.
☭ Marxism-Leninism-Maoism is the shining sun that never sets! ☭
⚧ Proud Transwoman! She/Her/Hers only please! ⚧

Aspistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aspistan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:04 am

Tsarus 2142 wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:The CEO is lazier, but tries to justify their exploitation of the masses by lying to the public and sometimes themselves about how they earned it through hard work. I'm gonna call their bluff and say they're delusional if they think they're that dedicated.

The worker, on the other hand, is pretty accurate to what you said.

The CEO exploitation idea has existed since the creation of agriculture. If you're to consider "exploitation" immoral, then so is this relatively new way of life (agriculture).
I agree, the agrarian system sucks, but you really can only end this system by deconstructing civilization, stop using factories and industrial infrastructure etc., and embrace the inevitable collapse. Progress is not worthwhile lest we further widespread suffering and embrace weakness.

I completely disagree. The separation of ownership (aka taking the profits from) from administration, and the placing of profits in a common fund, would end class exploitation.
☭ Marxism-Leninism-Maoism is the shining sun that never sets! ☭
⚧ Proud Transwoman! She/Her/Hers only please! ⚧

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am

Saiwania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:What about CEOs who raise because you’ve been loyal to the company?

It almost never happens from what I've read or seen. The people who're hired as CEOs have advanced business degrees (4 years or better) or have previous experience at managing or running major and established companies, if not have began their own startup before.

It happens more then you think. Friends and family in places they don’t belong. Every now and then such people turned out to do a decent job. However, the majority......

Loyalty is a sucker's game, or at least it is in the US. Corporations generally don't care about their low ranked workers, never have- because it is usually easy enough to find other people who can be hired if there is high turnover, and will pay someone as little as possible if outsourcing or automation can't be done for the jobs in question. Corporations have no hesitation in firing people that they have no further uses for. That is just how it is.

Except managment. The only time you seem them go is they have royally screwed up and the company can’t hide or ignore it. After that? Loyalty as a worker is a wasted effort. What is fascinating are companies who complain about the loyalty of workers. Nine times out of ten they offered none and are stunned to see people who they don’t want to leave; take off.

The pay statistics seem to indicate that those who stay at a single company/employer for too long, get paid less than the people who're willing to switch companies. There are more opportunities to negotiate pay upwards than if someone just stays put, as opposed to only ever getting pay increases from inflation. Someone's resume is also usually perceived as stronger or more appealing if they worked at a different company within their industry every 5 years or so, than if they can only list 1 or a few employers.

Some times those are acquired employees. That is the companies “ethics”. Example; my last company I was acquired. I had a tiny block of under water stock. Annoying and yet not enough to get upset about. The new company could have traded me for their stock which would have not been much. Still it would have been a cool move which was nothing for them and still more for me. That would be a great welcome act. So what did they do instead? “Let’s give him a block of underwater stock in the new company!!!!!!! SCORE!!!!! The exec who handled acquisitions bragged about all the money he saved getting us. Not exactly a message to send to the nobodies.

Anyway, that stock sat for 4 years and not once did it pass the level they set. They couldn’t understand why I let it expire. Ah hello why would I pay $90 a share to get a sock valued at $55?

Many executives are extremely over paid for what they really offer.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Roegerland
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Roegerland » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am

Both, because i'm not a fucking rabid communist.
✸✸✸✸✸

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General