NATION

PASSWORD

Why Don't You Give Cash to Homeless People?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:37 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Kanadorika wrote:Homeless encampments here in Los Angeles are a scourge. The homeless assault people for just walking by and rape is not uncommon. Property crimes near homeless encampments are through the roof.

But so many homeless here either have conditions and should be institutionalized, or they frankly want to be homeless. At this point building a massive encampment in the desert and making them stay there seems like the best choice if simply locking them up and treating whatever condition they have proves controversial.

There are so many homeless people I'd be broke if i gave each one a dollar. I'd also rather not get assaulted for existing. Too many stories of people rolling down their windows and getting punched by a bum for trying to give them money.

I've experienced none of this, including times riding down the LA River bike trail as well as other encampments. There's a bridge used as an encampment in noho near a place I go to all the time and haven't experienced any issues walking through it.

I work as an EMT in DTLA. It's pretty bad there at least. They recently cleared Echo Park because of the problems with the homeless and rightly so.

I had a patient several days ago that was a homeless man and someone had thrown a can of vegetables at his face and he was all beat up from it. Unprovoked attacks like these sadly aren't rare. There are some really mentally ill people on the streets who either don't have access to treatments, or refuse treatment.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:45 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:So, personal story:

In the Netherlands, I gave money to the few homeless people that asked. It wasn't often that I encountered one.

Here in Berlin, if I go out of the house, I meet them on a very regular basis. Sometimes twice in the same S-bahn (metro). How many coins am I expected to carry?

So it simply became too much :(

Become Big in Japan.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Democratic Communist Federation
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Democratic Communist Federation » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm

Years ago (literally, I am quite old), I got into a conversation with a homeless man in Washington Square Park in lower Manhattan (NYC). We ended up chatting, and he told me the story of his life. (He never once asked me for money.) At the end of the conversation, I offered him my business card and invited him to contact me if he had any concerns (which, in retrospect, was probably not a good idea). He said that he regularly gets stopped by the police, so if they saw my card, they might ask me questions. Very nice guy. I have often wondered what became of him.
Ššālōm ʿălēyəḵẹm, Mōšẹh ʾẠhărōn hạ•Lēwiy bẹn Hẹʿrəšẹʿl (Hebrew/Yiddish, מֹשֶׁה אַהֲרֹן הַלֵוִי בֶּן הֶערְשֶׁעל)
third campismLibertarian Marxist Social Fictioncritical realismAntifaDialectical metaRealism ☝️ The
MarkFoster.NETwork
You are welcome as an embassy of Antifa Dialectical metaRealism. Our ♥️ ḏik°r
(Arabic, ذِكْر. remembrance): Yā Bahāˁ ʾal•⫯Ab°haỳ, wa•yā ʿAliyy ʾal•⫯Aʿ°laỳ! (Arabic, !يَا بَهَاء لأَبْهَى ، وَيَا عَلِيّ الأَعْلَى)
Code: Select all
[color=#ff0000]Member,[/color] [url=https://www.nationstates.net/nation=democratic_communist_federation/detail=factbook/id=870177][color=#ff0000][u]Antifa Dialectical metaRealism[/u][/color][/url]

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am

Forsher wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:So, personal story:

In the Netherlands, I gave money to the few homeless people that asked. It wasn't often that I encountered one.

Here in Berlin, if I go out of the house, I meet them on a very regular basis. Sometimes twice in the same S-bahn (metro). How many coins am I expected to carry?

So it simply became too much :(

Become Big in Japan.

Nah, Berlin is my alphaville 8)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Resilient Acceleration wrote:Instead of giving cash, I tend to buy from those who still try to sell food, do street business, or even just play music or do street performances as a means of living. Admittedly, I don't actually see homeless people that often, likely because they are regularly rounded up and kicked around by the thug-police, private security, or mafia gangs associated with the local government.

Buskers (street performers) and street vendors are not necessarily (or even often) homeless.

There's actually a band that under normal circumstances plays in Edinburgh that is just a busking band. They get together after work and perform for the rush hour crowd and they represent possibly the best use of bagpipes ever (it's a three piece band with a drummer, guitarist and bagpiper who do covers of some rock songs in addition to their own compositions).

They're good, but yeah, definitely not homeless.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Become Big in Japan.

You could always limit yourself to giving to one or two people a day. I don't think anyone expects you to give to every panhandler you encounter. I used to have a few regular people I would give to who were on my way home from work.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 am

Dakini wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

You could always limit yourself to giving to one or two people a day. I don't think anyone expects you to give to every panhandler you encounter. I used to have a few regular people I would give to who were on my way home from work.

I was having an "I only give in the u4 metroline " rule. It solved the issue :)

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Oh, yes, I forgot...

1) people will just straight up ask you for fags, e.g. happened yesterday (I wasn't even near the dude... literally on the other side of the road), and
2) I'm actually fairly confident most people asking for money aren't homeless (e.g. these two dudes hanging around outside the shops... also, I don't think the guy who wanted some smokes was homeless either, in fact, I feel like he was with a pushchair but it was dark so I'm not sure)

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Because my government takes all of the money I'd be willing to give to charity; and more on top, in tax.

Simple.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm

I have yet to evolve the sociological concept of currency.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:I have yet to evolve the sociological concept of currency.

Fair, for you rat race means running with this Image
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Munchers
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Munchers » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Because if I give it to them then I wouldn’t have it. :meh: Why should I give you money because you made bad life choices?

Opiachus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Opiachus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Money is like sex. If you have to beg for it, you're probably not getting it.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:56 am

Forsher wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot...

1) people will just straight up ask you for fags, e.g. happened yesterday (I wasn't even near the dude... literally on the other side of the road), and
2) I'm actually fairly confident most people asking for money aren't homeless (e.g. these two dudes hanging around outside the shops... also, I don't think the guy who wanted some smokes was homeless either, in fact, I feel like he was with a pushchair but it was dark so I'm not sure)

On the first point, I believe there is an unwritten code the vast majority of smokers adhere to in which it is understood you always give a smoke to someone in need if you have one to spare, and someday that kindness will be paid forward back to you. People on my college campus gave me smokes when I was broke and/or underage, and when I had my own, I gave to those who asked, and whenever I saw someone digging through an ash tray, I always offered them 2 or 3 from my pack.

Cigarettes certainly do far, far more harm than good but I will say that I believe smokers as a whole are nicer people than non-smokers. I am including ex-smokers here, it is not being a current smoker that makes a person nicer but knowing what it's like to be addicted.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:59 am

Page wrote:

On the first point, I believe there is an unwritten code the vast majority of smokers adhere to in which it is understood you always give a smoke to someone in need if you have one to spare, and someday that kindness will be paid forward back to you. People on my college campus gave me smokes when I was broke and/or underage, and when I had my own, I gave to those who asked, and whenever I saw someone digging through an ash tray, I always offered them 2 or 3 from my pack.

Cigarettes certainly do far, far more harm than good but I will say that I believe smokers as a whole are nicer people than non-smokers. I am including ex-smokers here, it is not being a current smoker that makes a person nicer but knowing what it's like to be addicted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism in action :p

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Page wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism in action :p

That's fair, but that's human nature.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 am

Page wrote:

The only time I won't do that is if I have like 2 left myself.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Page wrote:

The only time I won't do that is if I have like 2 left myself.

Yeah, down to the last 2 or 3 is usually the standard. Often times it's not even about not being able to afford a new pack but not having time to get one.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 am

Page wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiUqb2SSw0

I dispute your characterisation. I do not smoke. I was not smoking. I was on the other side of a, naturally stupidly wide street (it's practically car park) in the dark. In another memorable incident, this idiot offers me $20 or whatever to buy him a pack. I'm in my school uniform, I believe the junior variant (covering ages 13 to 15), and we're outside the dairy literally right next to said school. Mental.

However, I would agree that among mutual smokers this behaviour is entirely decent and upstanding.
Last edited by Forsher on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cekovia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekovia » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm

i give them Big jugs of water when i come across and also sometimes granola bars . i think people Overlook that it can be tough to get access 2 good high quality potable water and so that is something i Try to do instead of cash because i do not generally carry cash anyways . and then granola bars cus they Preserve well are portable and are more nutritious than Nohing . but im ok with give cash i simply Do not have any on me ever
RWDT - REST IN POWER
girlboss · christian · hot · racist · leo sun / libra moon / virgo rising
back from the dead ?
add ~16700 posts

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General