NATION

PASSWORD

Why Don't You Give Cash to Homeless People?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Because I don't know if they're homeless fr. When a homeless person asks me for some spare change, I volunteer to buy them something to eat and see how they react.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Because I don't know if they're homeless fr. When a homeless person asks me for some spare change, I volunteer to buy them something to eat and see how they react.

Also, that's your change, you need that.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:27 pm

If I gave a homeless person $100, I would expect him to spend it on necessities. If he just spends it on drugs (or alcohol etc.),he has wasted my money. He could use that money to buy food, and other necessities.
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm

New Jacobland wrote:If I gave a homeless person $100, I would expect him to spend it on necessities. If he just spends it on drugs (or alcohol etc.),he has wasted my money. He could use that money to buy food, and other necessities.

If they're homeless, they don't have access to cooking or any other amenities on any immediate basis. They can only keep what they can carry and furthermore, will be a target for criminals if they're carrying cash or anything of value, or may be targeted by the police if the belief is that they clearly stole the money or didn't get it via legitimate means. They're in no position to be getting $100.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Because then it prevents them from taking actual action to demand what they deserve from their governments.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm

I do give cash to street people; at least once when I didn't have cash I offered a beer out of a six-pack I just bought. People who have money buy booze, cigs/vapes and drugs all the time. Should we stop them from doing that? Ask any economist: if you want someone to not be poor, give them money. Poor people are not poor because they are less moral, less intelligent, less able to define what it is that they need or less worthy. They are poor because they have less money. Just give money to the poor.
Last edited by Postauthoritarian America on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Intaglio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Intaglio » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Loeje wrote:Yes, they can reasonably expect the same treatment because they're equally valuable. Your biases don't change that.

They're arguably not equally as valuable, if people are paid what they're perceived to be worth economically for the most part. People have unequal abilities just as they have unequal potential and outcomes. That is fundamentally why people divide themselves into classes and why economic inquality exists.

The elite performers who can earn lots of money very easily relatively speaking, have nothing in common with people who're the opposite of those things and vice versa. Maybe the richer person is just objectively more talented/skilled or is better at business/investing than the person who's living under the bridge.

Many successful people are more highly skilled than the average person, true. However, there are also people out there who owe their success to just sheer luck, especially if we're talking about careers/opportunities where high risks are involved; an investment or a plan that works out for one person at one time could easily be the ruin of another person due to circumstances out of their control, meaning that even someone who's skilled or good at what they do could lose everything.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 pm

It depends, really. Obviously, I'd rather a homeless person spend my money on something to help enrich themselves, as opposed to something that harms themselves. Especially given the moral question of "if this person spends it on drugs and falls deeper into a pit/hurts themselves, am I partially at fault?" It sounds irrational, and it probably is, but it claws at my mind sometimes.

But, even then, I usually will give money if they ask, or more often, any food I might have, some water, Gatorade, something to help their material condition that isn't monetary. We have a lot of homeless Navajo people in my town, many of whom were pushed out of their homes by skyrocketing rent increases and astronomical surges in cost of living. I feel a lot of sympathy for them.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Intaglio wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
They're arguably not equally as valuable, if people are paid what they're perceived to be worth economically for the most part. People have unequal abilities just as they have unequal potential and outcomes. That is fundamentally why people divide themselves into classes and why economic inquality exists.

The elite performers who can earn lots of money very easily relatively speaking, have nothing in common with people who're the opposite of those things and vice versa. Maybe the richer person is just objectively more talented/skilled or is better at business/investing than the person who's living under the bridge.

Many successful people are more highly skilled than the average person, true. However, there are also people out there who owe their success to just sheer luck, especially if we're talking about careers/opportunities where high risks are involved; an investment or a plan that works out for one person at one time could easily be the ruin of another person due to circumstances out of their control, meaning that even someone who's skilled or good at what they do could lose everything.

Why are you denigrating luck as a trait? Your luck is as much a part of you as Intelligence or Strength.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Because I don't know if they're homeless fr. When a homeless person asks me for some spare change, I volunteer to buy them something to eat and see how they react.

You keep change on hand?

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Maybe if more hobos accepted payments from my AmEx Platinum...
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:46 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Intaglio wrote:Many successful people are more highly skilled than the average person, true. However, there are also people out there who owe their success to just sheer luck, especially if we're talking about careers/opportunities where high risks are involved; an investment or a plan that works out for one person at one time could easily be the ruin of another person due to circumstances out of their control, meaning that even someone who's skilled or good at what they do could lose everything.

Why are you denigrating luck as a trait? Your luck is as much a part of you as Intelligence or Strength.

I was lucky enough to be born with a penis to white parents in the USA. But I would never claim that absolves me of the duty to treat those who were not so lucky with humanity and compassion.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:20 pm

After reading a few responses:

How many people actually DO still walk around with cash - and why? Are stores not actively discouraging it?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:After reading a few responses:

How many people actually DO still walk around with cash - and why? Are stores not actively discouraging it?

I just do it to keep my bank statements nice and neat and limit the exposure of my account information. But it's also useful for the occasional cash-only transaction, or to give to a good cause.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Fillygreed wrote:

Cash is a mostly-anonymous way of buying anything. Stores may discourage it for the same reason some stores run "loyalty" schemes: to learn all they can about each customer's buying habits.

Cash notes can be traced back to the last place to record their serial number: likely a bank, though police and sometimes shop keepers record those numbers. It's "mostly" anonymous though: the connection between video of you paying with a note, and the number of the note, is blurred by it going in the till with other people's notes. Coins as far as I know, are fully anonymous.

True,but here many stores no longer accept cash - or force you to use a specific "cash" lane to the cashier; meaning you stand in line longer.
Covid and the whole "please limit the passing of money from hand to hand" ofc stimulated that even more.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Fillygreed wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
True,but here many stores no longer accept cash - or force you to use a specific "cash" lane to the cashier; meaning you stand in line longer.
Covid and the whole "please limit the passing of money from hand to hand" ofc stimulated that even more.

It will be interesting to see if stores refusing cash also drop "loyalty" programs.

They don't. You just get a loyalty card from the store (or an app on your phone) that gives points and discounts.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 am

pay the weed man
I mean I don't, I get mine from the store, but some folks still got a weed man.
Last edited by Kubra on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 am

I deal exclusively with cash because I'm unbanked and I like the anonymity. Cash is still most useful for small transactions. The lower economic status you have, the more likely you have at least some use for cash. Useful for tipping, less of a pain than fumbling around for cards credit or debit or whatever else. Don't need to pay fees to use your own money.

Cash has some advantages that not enough people recognize, but it also of course has downsides. But electronic payment isn't just all upside in all scenarios. Some businesses like some restaurants prefer cash over any other method of payment for a reason. Paying fees to credit card processors is burdensome for small business in general.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:32 am

Saiwania wrote:

I deal exclusively with cash because I'm unbanked and I like the anonymity. Cash is still most useful for small transactions. The lower economic status you have, the more likely you have at least some use for cash. Useful for tipping, less of a pain than fumbling around for cards credit or debit or whatever else. Don't need to pay fees to use your own money.

Cash has some advantages that not enough people recognize, but it also of course has downsides. But electronic payment isn't just all upside in all scenarios. Some businesses like some restaurants prefer cash over any other method of payment for a reason. Paying fees to credit card processors is burdensome for small business in general.

Keeping cash in store puts one at risk of robbery, and having to count it and deposit it also costs money.
Also, noone uses creditcards here either. And cheques are not even accepted by banks anymore - everything is electronic.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:32 am

Kubra wrote:

pay the weed man
I mean I don't, I get mine from the store, but some folks still got a weed man.

Trust me - in Amsterdam people pay weed with their card :P

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 am

I carry supermarket vouchers most of the time. I'm happy to give to homeless people, I'm less happy to give to the organised begging groups.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Keeping cash in store puts one at risk of robbery, and having to count it and deposit it also costs money.
Also, noone uses creditcards here either. And cheques are not even accepted by banks anymore - everything is electronic.

Businesses are protected from losses by insurance anyways or those places have adequate security. Like I said, electronic forms of payment isn't just all upside. There are things that can go wrong with it just as it can with physical cash. Cheques are still accepted in plenty of places, just not preferred.

Do you know how many people there are out there who're poor enough to need to go to a cheque cashing business because they're unbanked or because they get paid only once every 2 weeks but they blow most of it all in between?

Also, why wouldn't people use credit cards assuming they're able to pay it off on time? You build your credit score and get fraud protections and etc. Just that for the smallest businesses, its sometimes more of a pain to deal with than getting paid in cash. Tipped work in particular, favors cash overall.

The IRS uses cheques to send people money, if they have no banking information for someone.

You open a checking account with the wrong bank or credit union and you then perhaps have to worry about minimum balances/deposits or fees if you don't have regular income. You leave it alone for too long, and maybe the account will become dormant and its a huge process to get anything back out if you need to.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:18 am

Saiwania wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Keeping cash in store puts one at risk of robbery, and having to count it and deposit it also costs money.

Businesses are protected from losses by insurance anyways or those places have adequate security. Like I said, electronic forms of payment isn't just all upside. There are things that can go wrong with it just as it can with physical cash. Cheques are still accepted in plenty of places, just not preferred.

I'm in the Netherlands. The last bank that still accepted cheques stopped doing that at the beginning of this year. I have *worked* at a bank and have not seen a cheque in the past 30 years.

Do you know how many people there are out there who're poor enough to need to go to a cheque cashing business because they're unbanked or because they get paid only once every 2 weeks but they blow most of it all in between?

Zero. Employers are required to pay electronically.* The state runs a service for people who are refused by commercial banks due to previous fraud etc.

* All right, there are exceptions, like e.g. for soldiers abroad. But those are rare.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:23 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I'm in the Netherlands. The last bank that still accepted cheques stopped doing that at the beginning of this year. I have *worked* at a bank and have not seen a cheque in the past 30 years.

Zero. Employers are required to pay electronically.* The state runs a service for people who are refused by commercial banks due to previous fraud etc.

* All right, there are exceptions, like e.g. for soldiers abroad. But those are rare.

Seriously? I've received cheques this year, everyone in the UK still accepts them. Why has the Netherlands abandoned them completely?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Kilobugya
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kilobugya » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 am

The Alma Mater wrote:I'm in the Netherlands. The last bank that still accepted cheques stopped doing that at the beginning of this year. I have *worked* at a bank and have not seen a cheque in the past 30 years.

How do you handle occasional small-to-medium individual-to-individual payment ? That's the main remaining usage of cheques here in France. It's more convenient that having to deal with setting up a bank transfer and knowing / entering all the IBAN/BIC stuff.
Secular humanist and trans-humanist, rationalist, democratic socialist, pacifist, dreaming very high to not perform too low.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General