NATION

PASSWORD

What Should be taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 am

Laurenthea
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Laurenthea » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 am

Apart from the basic subjects taught in all schools, students should also be financially literate and have a good grasp on how to handle taxes and wealth once they grow up.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 am

I am going to be a bit lazy and copy-paste what I have posted a while back as an OP. Here it is. ^^

- First Aid (Up to 59% of 'pre-hospital' deaths from injury could potentially be prevented if more people stepped in with some simple first aid, according to new research commissioned by the British Red Cross and conducted by the University of Manchester. This is for UK alone, but I'm sure the same sentiments apply for other nations).

- Basic shelter building and construction. I think using power tools and basic safety measures should apply here.

- Firearms safety. This one's a bit controversial and I am not here to talk about gun control, but regardless of Nerf, BB, paintball, blanks, or live rounds... I think it's safe to say that everyone should at least know about the basic discipline! I have heard horror stories about people poking each other's eyes out because of poor BB or paintball impulses.

- Mechanical skills, mainly towards working on your motorbikes or your cars, e.g. changing a flat tire.

- Basic sewing to patch up those bits rather than throwing the entire cloth away.

- Basic swimming skills. You don't necessarily need to be an Olympian swimmer, but if you live near the waters, you probably must at least know how to float.

- Basics of Taxes and Finances. Knowing different tax forms, filling them up, etc, etc.

- Basic understanding of law and court proceedings. You don't need to be a bona-fide part-time lawyer, but know your laws well and you will (probably) be fine if you somehow got into trouble.

- Social skills? Again, might be controversial, but things such as spatial awareness (realising that you are blocking the doorway or in the middle of a sidewalk), or self-awareness / self-actualization.

- Basic house maintenance - includes plumbing and electrical skills, e.g. fixing a toilet, fixing that pesky wiring...

- Danger awareness. This is a very broad term, but I will list down stuff like cybersecurity (please DO NOT doxx yourself, go to weird websites, etc etc), or checking if that puddle of water is deep or shallow. Kinda overlaps with social skills in a way.

- Basic cooking skills! I missed this one out, sorry! I think this is much more important than ever, given the situation! You don't need to be a gourmet chef, but you at least need to know how to cook some stuff properly to not starve.

- Critical inference, not just blindly believing in something. It's not to conspire against everything, but I think it's good if people started wondering "Wait, is this real?" and make a simple search before that Facebook post asks you to spread the message.

Mind you, not all of them at once. Just offer them as options, but you absolutely must take one.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:31 am

Critical Thinking
Science/Engineering (can be tailored to specific areas)
Comprehensive Sex-Ed
Study Skills/Time Management
Maybe even stress management
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Luckyon
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Luckyon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am

Finances, accepting change in ones life, it’s ok to not have the answers, it’s ok to not follow the “timelines” that others abide by. Remember in high school I combined work and study, it wasn't easy but I found writing service where I could buy lab report and save my time. These guys helped me with all my writings. Great option for working students.
Last edited by Luckyon on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:15 am

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:Critical Thinking
Comprehensive Sex-Ed

I can't manage my time and have anxiety disorder, so yee.
Seriously, I'm in class right now
On NS
Bad timey wimey managey
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Illu-chi
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Illu-chi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 am

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Comprehensive Sex-Ed

I can't manage my time and have anxiety disorder, so yee.
Seriously, I'm in class right now
On NS
Bad timey wimey managey

I've taken time management classes and they are all garbage and don't teach you how to manage your time.

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Founded: Feb 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Comprehensive Sex-Ed

Stress management would definitely be useful, and I also wish more schools had therapy.
Five nations, one continent.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

Empress Park and Premier Kato's new collaboration album: Journey of Melody
Song in Praise of Feyrisshire Princess Reishi Yuri
The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
May the light of peace prevail always
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

The Central Union of Nation States
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

I see a lot of great ideas!

Postby The Central Union of Nation States » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm

I was thinking classes such as gardening, taxes, finances and the base meanings of financial terms, as well as nutrition and health. I do enjoy seeing the expanded sciences and also preparedness going into things like vocational or trade schools as well as college and having more career based stuff for later school years.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General