NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread V: We're Just Biden Our Time ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:No, it is not. Nor do I favor exterminating minority groups.

What even is your ideology anyway, other than "shitposting?"

You said you favor national unity - what happens to the minority groups within the nation-state that are outside the national culture and wish to remain so.

I'm not going to entertain a thinly hidden accusation phrased as a question, especially when you won't tell you your ideology.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Madrinpoor wrote:na·tion·al·ism
/ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun
identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

I should post that "everyone I don't like is Hitler" image.

Tell me, what does Nazism support?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:You said you favor national unity - what happens to the minority groups within the nation-state that are outside the national culture and wish to remain so.

I'm not going to entertain a thinly hidden accusation phrased as a question.

So you're just going to avoid a perfectly valid question?
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Immortan Khan wrote:Not everyone in the field of politics science or has been educated in political science agrees that it is a legitimate form of nationalism. I'm not even sure why you'd want to chain yourself to nationalism anyway, it's one of the most putrid ideologies to emerge in modern history and intrinsically linked to genocide.

It really isn't. The Viet Minh, American Founding Fathers, Nazis, and the Russian White Army were all very different, yet have one trait: nationalism. Nationalism is valuing and having a deep connection with your peoples and culture.

The Viet Minh pursued policies of Vietnamization towards ethnic minority groups and there were concerted efforts to forcefully assimilate many of them which led to numerous rebellions the last of which ended in 2003. It's only recently that Vietnam has pursued a Pilsudski approach to ethnic minorities in Vietnam.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.
Pro: Warlordism, harems, Amazonian horse archers, steppebooism
Anti: You

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I should post that "everyone I don't like is Hitler" image.

A specific form of - and different type of - nationalism than what I support. Saying all forms of nationalism is on par with Nazism is not good faith debating.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I should post that "everyone I don't like is Hitler" image.

Nationalism.

Tell me, what does the Soviet Union, Russian Federation, USA, and every rebellion in history also support?
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

North Washington Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:No, it is not. Nor do I favor exterminating minority groups.

What even is your ideology anyway, other than "shitposting?"

You said you favor national unity - what happens to the minority groups within the nation-state that are outside the national culture and wish to remain so.

It depends, do they want to secede from the United States and from their own country or did they wanna simply self-segregate? I don’t necessarily have a problem with moderate multiculturalism. I see no issue with media being produced in other languages, although it would be best that everyone is able to read and write basic English(or whatever to major/national/official language is of said county)
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
My 8values results

GET VACCINATED ASAP AND WEAR A MASK!!!

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:You said you favor national unity - what happens to the minority groups within the nation-state that are outside the national culture and wish to remain so.

I'm not going to entertain a thinly hidden accusation phrased as a question, especially when you won't tell you your ideology.

This is a very poor cop out over a legitimate question about your beliefs.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:07 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:

It depends, do they want to secede from the United States and from their own country or did they wanna simply self-segregate? I don’t necessarily have a problem with moderate multiculturalism. I see no issue with media being produced in other languages, although it would be best that everyone is able to read and write basic English(or whatever to major/national/official language is of said county)

Why does it have to be only moderate multiculturalism that is okay?
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue May 04, 2021 4:07 pm

New haven america wrote:Tell me, what does Nazism support?

A specific form of - and different type of - nationalism than what I support. Saying all forms of nationalism is on par with Nazism is not good faith debating.

Funny. You're the only one here that's saying that.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:

Nationalism.

Tell me, what does the Soviet Union, Russian Federation, USA, and every rebellion in history also support?

This “all nationalism is nazism” logic couldn’t be more incorrect. As you pointed out, the USSR was VERY nationalistic. The North Korean government is very nationalistic and even teaches it’s people that they’re genetically superior to other races. The CCP is VERY nationalistic, especially when they are committing genocide against a group that is ethnically and culturally different from they are.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
My 8values results

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:A specific form of - and different type of - nationalism than what I support. Saying all forms of nationalism is on par with Nazism is not good faith debating.

Funny. You're the only one here that's saying that.

He's not the only one. TRAR is correct. Tzarist nationalism and Nazi nationalism, for example, are vastly different.
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:

Why does it have to be only moderate multiculturalism that is okay?

Because people should respect and observe basic cultural norms that a nation has established.
My 8values results

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:Nationalism.

This “all nationalism is nazism” logic couldn’t be more incorrect. As you pointed out, the USSR was VERY nationalistic. The North Korean government is very nationalistic and even teaches it’s people that they’re genetically superior to other races. The CCP is VERY nationalistic, especially when they are committing genocide against a group that is ethnically and culturally different from they are.

CCP: Nationalist, commits genocide
Nazi Germany: Nationalist, commits genocide

See a pattern?
Link here

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020

Postby Madrinpoor » Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm

It's square-rectangle. All squares are rectangles. Not all rectangles are squares. All Nazis are nationalists. Not all nationalists are Nazis.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:

Nationalism.

Well.

The Soviet Union supported the collapse of the authoritarian Russian Tsardom and wanted to achieve communism (But ended up just creating an even worse authoritarian and bureaucratic state), the Russian Federation supports oligarchic capitalism, and the US wanted seats in Parliament and decided to break off from the UK when it realized it could do better off on its own.

I'm not seeing relation.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue May 04, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:Cultural nationalism is just watered down ethnic nationalism which is why cultural nationalists don't form their own groups and usually spawn as the moderate faction of more radical ethnic nationalist movements. Eg the alt-lite emerging from the alt-right.

Hmm, not really. And I think that the reason why we see some those that would consider themselves civic nationalists and/or cultural nationalists regressing to ethno-nationalism is because unfortunately white nationalists are masters at recruitment. They are able to very successfully play on the fears on white moderates or center-right people, and convinces them that their livelihoods or even their lives are threaten by racial equality.

It's not about regressing into ethno-nationalism it is that cultural nationalism is just a moderate branch off which still often results in similar horrendous actions. I don't consider civic nationalism to be a legitimate form of nationalism because a nation is more than just loyalty to a particular set of ideals and state institutions.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Immortan Khan wrote:Why does it have to be only moderate multiculturalism that is okay?

Because people should respect and observe basic cultural norms that a nation has established.

No, I'm asking why say "radical" multiculturalism couldn't be okay. But then again I'm not even supposed to understand what moderate multiculturalism is supposed to be.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Funny. You're the only one here that's saying that.

He's not the only one. TRAR is correct. Tzarist nationalism and Nazi nationalism, for example, are vastly different.

No he is the only one saying that.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

New Jacobland wrote:

See a pattern?

Because that is ento-nationalism. With civic and cultural nationalism, race isn’t a factor and tolerance of other races and cultures is the norm. I would consider Canada a prefect example of non-racist and non-genocidal civic and cultural nationalism
My 8values results

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

New Jacobland wrote:

See a pattern?

CCP: Originally fought against Kuomintang dictatorship and Japanese hordes, holds relations with numerous countries around the world, doesn't seek to limit religion, isn't led by batshit leaders that want to conquer the world.

Nazi Germany: Originally was created based on legitimate hatred of Western Powers and made-up hatred of Jews, held relationships only with it's collaborator countries, seeked to destroy religion and sought to slaughter peoples of multiple religions, led by batshit leaders that wanted to conquer the world.

See a pattern?

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020

Postby Madrinpoor » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

New Jacobland wrote:

See a pattern?

Juche: Nationalist, commits genocide
USSR: Nationalist, commited genocide
Pol Pot: Nationalist, commited genocide
Viet Cong: Nationalist, do not commit genocide (that I know of)
Ottomans: Ethnic-Nationalist, commited genocide
Hutus: Ethnic-Nationalist, commited genocide

Not all nationalists commit genocide. But all those who commit genocide are nationalist, either for their ethnicity or their country.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

A nation ≠ a state

A nation is a group of people sharing a similar culture.
A state is a country, its government and institutions.

They have become used interchangeably, but they are different. By this meaning, "civic nationalism" cannot exist, and all nationalism is cultural nationalism.
Link here

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Tue May 04, 2021 4:15 pm

New haven america wrote:

Well.

The Soviet Union supported the collapse of the authoritarian Russian Tsardom and wanted to achieve communism (But ended up just creating an even worse authoritarian and bureaucratic state), the Russian Federation supports oligarchic capitalism, and the US wanted seats in Parliament and decided to break off from the UK when it realized it could do better off on its own.

I'm not seeing relation.

They all support nationalism. :p

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:17 pm

New Jacobland wrote:CCP: Nationalist, commits genocide

See a pattern?

Because that is ento-nationalism. With civic and cultural nationalism, race isn’t a factor and tolerance of other races and cultures is the norm. I would consider Canada a prefect example of non-racist and non-genocidal civic and cultural nationalism

Canada committed genocide and further Justin Trudeau has touted before that Canada is a post-national state. And no, more cultural based forms of nationalism have also committed genocide or attempted to do so.
Last edited by Immortan Khan on Tue May 04, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General