NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread V: We're Just Biden Our Time ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Zurkir wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Not sure what else to call attitudes like "Russians aren't even real white people. They're Mongolian steppe hordes that explains why they're all so violent and authoritarian"

I have literally never heard that one. I understand the derivation but I’ve never in my life actually seen or heard that kind of attack on Russia. Usually it’s aimed at their history, government, etcetera. Not their race.

I think it was more prevalent in daily life in the real thick of the Cold War and the red scares, but yeah there’s a loooot of gross stuff about “mongoloids” if you look thru the history of American anti-communism that could’ve come straight out of Berlin in ‘43
Last edited by Senkaku on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Genivaria wrote:It is when you think Slavs are sub-human.

For the US it’s more ideology. Anyway.......

It really isn’t, especially after the Pacific War, Chinese Civil War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. There’s a whole body of writings dedicated to classifying Russia as a hostile, alien other on the basis of it supposedly being “more Asiatic” and going into a bunch of Yellow Peril-adjacent stuff that people had already been familiarized with. Rare is the American ideological project that doesn’t lean on racism at least a little, and Cold War anti-communist hysteria is no different.
Last edited by Senkaku on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Zurkir wrote:
I have literally never heard that one. I understand the derivation but I’ve never in my life actually seen or heard that kind of attack on Russia. Usually it’s aimed at their history, government, etcetera. Not their race.

I think it was more prevalent in daily life in the real thick of the Cold War and the red scares, but yeah there’s a loooot of gross stuff about “mongoloids” if you look thru the history of American anti-communism that could’ve come straight out of Berlin in ‘43

Mongoloid though was more about downs syndrome which was bad in itself. Even anthropologically is not used anymore.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Zurkir
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Zurkir » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:02 pm

National Flag | Nation Overview | The Four Parties
սա ինչ լեզու է

F.T.W.D
It has never been “just a meme”.

Daily Historical Quote: “It is far better to be alone than in bad company.” -George Washington (So based and personally relatable.)

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
How the fuck is someone in America still racist against Russians? I thought this ended when George Patton passed away?

The a certain group of people who are very influential in US foreign policy have a deep-seated blood feud with Russia. This blood feud predated communism and started gaining momentum in the US in the 1880s and 1890s.

I don't really get what their beef is, since Russia is pretty supportive of Israel.

Kicked off right around Chinese Exclusion— if that’s when you date it to, then I’d submit that it’s at least tangentially related to the growing contact with and awareness and fear of Asians and Asian societies that started around then. If you’re some farmer in California or Ohio in 1880 and you’ve never seen Russia or Russians but you have seen a map, it looks like another scary “Oriental” empire whose people are probably just as scary as the Asians you’re already terrified of/furious at for whatever reason.
Last edited by Senkaku on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Senkaku wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
For the US it’s more ideology. Anyway.......

It really isn’t, especially after the Chinese Civil War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. There’s a whole body of writings dedicated to classifying Russia as a hostile, alien other on the basis of it supposedly being “more Asiatic” and going into a bunch of Yellow Peril-adjacent stuff that people had already been familiarized with. Rare is the American ideological project that doesn’t lean on racism at least a little, and Cold War anti-communist hysteria is no different.

You are mixing your phrases. For the US; Yellow Peril was mainly the Chinese. Be it the labor which came across; be it the boxers. I think the Europeans may have used it for Russians. But I am not positive.

The Russians/Soviets where the dreaded commies. It was more communism vs good old capitalism.

The US has 3 million or so Russian Americans living here. Don’t recall reading much of them going through what the Asians are seeing now. Though they didn’t have the other guy stoking things......
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
James Clapper can always be counted on as a brand representative for neoliberalism
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/james-clapper-trump-russia-ties-my-dashboard-warning-light-was-n765601

How the fuck is someone in America still racist against Russians? I thought this ended when George Patton passed away?

America is racist towards all sorts of people, why not Russians?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Zurkir
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zurkir » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Senkaku wrote:It really isn’t, especially after the Chinese Civil War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. There’s a whole body of writings dedicated to classifying Russia as a hostile, alien other on the basis of it supposedly being “more Asiatic” and going into a bunch of Yellow Peril-adjacent stuff that people had already been familiarized with. Rare is the American ideological project that doesn’t lean on racism at least a little, and Cold War anti-communist hysteria is no different.

You are mixing your phrases. For the US; Yellow Peril was mainly the Chinese. Be it the labor which came across; be it the boxers. I think the Europeans may have used it for Russians. But I am not positive.

The Russians/Soviets where the dreaded commies. It was more communism vs good old capitalism.

The US has 3 million or so Russian Americans living here. Don’t recall reading much of them going through what the Asians are seeing now. Though they didn’t have the other guy stoking things......

Technically “Yellow Peril” included (s) everything east Asia as well as (I think) in some cases also included nations like Persia, Afghanistan, and Iran.
Last edited by Zurkir on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
սա ինչ լեզու է

F.T.W.D

Daily Historical Quote: “It is far better to be alone than in bad company.” -George Washington (So based and personally relatable.)

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Zurkir wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Technically “Yellow Peril” included (s) everything east Asia as well as (I think) in some cases also included nations like Persia, Afghanistan, and Iran.

That may be. However for the US; invariably they were directing it at the Chinese (as well as the east asians as you know they all looked alike back then).

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
I imagine Clapper doesn't feel pity when our jihadist terrorist allies freedom loving fighters for justice kill Russians. He clearly thinks Russian lives don't matter.

I doubt he thinks the lives of many people at all matter. He was in leadership positions in the intelligence community right as our civil liberties started disappearing.

Apparently that wasn't the only time he went full racist against Russians. There was another incident later where he stated Russia couldn't be our friend because they were genetically driven to be against us.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Senkaku wrote:It really isn’t, especially after the Chinese Civil War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. There’s a whole body of writings dedicated to classifying Russia as a hostile, alien other on the basis of it supposedly being “more Asiatic” and going into a bunch of Yellow Peril-adjacent stuff that people had already been familiarized with. Rare is the American ideological project that doesn’t lean on racism at least a little, and Cold War anti-communist hysteria is no different.

Maybe not during the mid 20th century but in the early 1900s the Russians were definitely seen in America and western Europe as "asiatics."

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Zurkir wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Not sure what else to call attitudes like "Russians aren't even real white people. They're Mongolian steppe hordes that explains why they're all so violent and authoritarian"

It's a common Nazi (and Wehraboo) theme, i.e. "Asiatic hordes".
Last edited by Duvniask on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Senkaku wrote:I think it was more prevalent in daily life in the real thick of the Cold War and the red scares, but yeah there’s a loooot of gross stuff about “mongoloids” if you look thru the history of American anti-communism that could’ve come straight out of Berlin in ‘43

Mongoloid though was more about downs syndrome which was bad in itself. Even anthropologically is not used anymore.

"The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European but an Asiatic and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinaman or a Japanese and, from what I have seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other amiable characteristics, the Russian has no regard for human life and is an all out son of a bitch, a barbarian, and a chronic drunk."

-George Patton

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Anyone else get the feeling all these red states are passing bans on trans medical care because a SCOTUS case that revolves around whether or not you can offer certain kinds of healthcare could open the door for a challenge to Roe?
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
The a certain group of people who are very influential in US foreign policy have a deep-seated blood feud with Russia. This blood feud predated communism and started gaining momentum in the US in the 1880s and 1890s.

I don't really get what their beef is, since Russia is pretty supportive of Israel.

Kicked off right around Chinese Exclusion— if that’s when you date it to, then I’d submit that it’s at least tangentially related to the growing contact with and awareness and fear of Asians and Asian societies that started around then. If you’re some farmer in California or Ohio in 1880 and you’ve never seen Russia or Russians but you have seen a map, it looks like another scary “Oriental” empire whose people are probably just as scary as the Asians you’re already terrified of/furious at for whatever reason.

Hmmmm? I am not sure you can find a case of talking about an Oriental and people start thinking of the Russians or Soviets. Don’t forget we are not known for our geographical knowledge :p

Sure there is the chance of seeing a russian and saying “there goes one of those orientals”. That could happen today. I worked with an old guy once. His grandfather was a real cowboy. Ran cattle herds between two or three states all his life. My coworker decided it would be cool to take him to Mexico one year. There were in a catina and the grandfather looked around and whispered look at all these damn japs. My coworker was ahhh what?!?!?!?! He later figured he heard things from either a radio or chit chat about the war while running the herds. So....sure that possibility exists though in the US you look at the Yellow Peril stuff and it’s mainly about the Chinese and Japanese.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Racism? That’s not exactly the right word to use.

When you say an ethnic group is genetically driven to be vicious, yes it is racist.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:45 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Zurkir wrote:

It's a common Nazi (and Wehraboo) theme, i.e. "Asiatic hordes".

I thought neo nazis are cool with Russians? Which is weird cause Hitler sure wasn't.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Duvniask wrote:It's a common Nazi (and Wehraboo) theme, i.e. "Asiatic hordes".

I thought neo nazis are cool with Russians? Which is weird cause Hitler sure wasn't.

Not all. Some Nazis on this site exclude them.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Vassenor wrote:Anyone else get the feeling all these red states are passing bans on trans medical care because a SCOTUS case that revolves around whether or not you can offer certain kinds of healthcare could open the door for a challenge to Roe?

To attack RvW?......Hmmmmm?......Nah. I think it’s more in the area of LGBTQ being some kind of a mental disease. The approach to RvW is more of a slow starvation. Cut off funds etc.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:

Not all. Some Nazis on this site exclude them.

Really?

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 pm

As for the ridiculous hundred million Slavs, we will mold the best of them as we see fit, and we will isolate the rest of them in their pig-styes; and anyone who talks about cherishing the local inhabitants and civilizing them, goes straight off into a concentration camp!

-Adolf Hitler

The war against Russia is an important chapter in the German nation's struggle for existence. It is the old battle of the Germanic against the Slavic people, of the defense of European culture against Muscovite-Asiatic inundation and the repulse of Jewish Bolshevism. The objective of this battle must be the demolition of present-day Russia and must, therefore, be conducted with unprecedented severity. Every military action must be guided in planning and execution by an iron resolution to exterminate the enemy remorselessly and totally. In particular, no adherents of the contemporary Russian Bolshevik system are to be spared.

-General Erich Hoepner, 4th Panzer Army

Just a couple examples of people racializing Russians. Racism against Russians isn't new but it's shocking to see an American doing it in the 21st century.

Zurkir
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zurkir » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Duvniask wrote:It's a common Nazi (and Wehraboo) theme, i.e. "Asiatic hordes".

I think it was more so the communism he hated. As a race I’m unsure, though as I said earlier I wasn’t even aware until now that race-hatred for Russia was a thing.
սա ինչ լեզու է

F.T.W.D

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Zurkir wrote:

I think it was more so the communism he hated. As a race I’m unsure, though as I said earlier I wasn’t even aware until now that race-hatred for Russia was a thing.

Hitler intended to utterly exterminate the Slavs from Eastern Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalplan_Ost

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Would be a good title if the media hadn't already been crying everyday for the last half a decade.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Fedel wrote:Would be a good title if the media hadn't already been crying everyday for the last half a decade.

I don’t get it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General