NATION

PASSWORD

How biased is the media really?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Founded: Feb 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:32 pm

All China wrote:
Picairn wrote:If you trusts CGTN then you lose the privilege to call Western media biased. ;)

If a dog barks, it's a dog. :lol2:

If people needed privilege to say western media is biased, they don't need much of it!

You should remember that all media is biased, both that which you watch and those you don't. CGTN pushes forward a narrative desired by the Chinese state, while Western media typically advocates for the interests of Western capital and/or Western governments.
Five nations, one continent.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

Empress Park and Premier Kato's new collaboration album: Journey of Melody
Song in Praise of Feyrisshire Princess Reishi Yuri
The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
May the light of peace prevail always
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:36 pm

All China wrote:
Picairn wrote::rofl: You unironically believe this?

Spoken like someone who trusts BBC or CNN :clap:

Ok? Point out where they have issues.

CGTN is rather censored and has failed a few fact checks.

SCMP seems to be ok on the fact check side.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:41 pm

All China wrote:
Picairn wrote:If you trusts CGTN then you lose the privilege to call Western media biased. ;)

If people needed privilege to say western media is biased, they don't need much of it!

Bias is a word way to over used and at times used badly. Some people fling it around as if it’s some stamp of spreading lies and failing on fact checks.

About the only sources which are clean in the so called West are Reuters and the AP.

Even then; you should alway verify.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

All China
Secretary

Founded: Apr 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby All China » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:41 pm

Sengoku Americas wrote:

To be fair, they also trust SCMP so I guess that makes it even?

SCMP at least tries to be fair when it covers things.

If you install browser app that replaces "Xi Jinping" with "Joe Biden" you'd think CNN is just Fox News with a different color scheme.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:44 pm

All China wrote:
Sengoku Americas wrote:To be fair, they also trust SCMP so I guess that makes it even?

If you install browser app that replaces "Xi Jinping" with "Joe Biden" you'd think CNN is just Fox News with a different color scheme.

Again. CNN hasn’t had issues on the fact check side. Fox has a few times.

All China
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby All China » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

Bias is a word way to over used and at times used badly. Some people fling it around as if it’s some stamp of spreading lies and failing on fact checks.

About the only sources which are clean in the so called West are Reuters and the AP.

Always verify, that's true.

There is a difference though between pushing an agenda and disagreeing with an opinion. When you have political commentators in western media constantly pushing their views and claiming they're doing "reporting", it's what gives the media a bad name.

Real reporters just tell you the news. They say what is happening, not how you should feel about it or how good or bad it is.

I can't say how many times American media acted like Trump was conducting a violent coup when he was just sitting on a toilet writing tweets. Exaggeration hurts credibility.

East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Whitemore wrote:Media these days only look for clickbait titles to get higher amounts of viewer engagements, of course when I say Media I mean the mainstream Media, news networks like NPR are still holding strong and they are my main source of information.

NPR is less profit oriented, but they are just as biased as other mainstream media sources.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

All China
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby All China » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

The Big Three CNN, Fox, and MSNBC all have issues with reporting and presentation.

If I admit anything, I will say the local affiliates have a better time. NBC is better than MSNBC. Local Fox networks do better than Fox News. CNN in different countries is better than the CNN.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

How biased is the media really?

Postby Deacarsia » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 pm

The media are incredibly biased, without exception.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 pm

All China wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Always verify, that's true.

There is a difference though between pushing an agenda and disagreeing with an opinion. When you have political commentators in western media constantly pushing their views and claiming they're doing "reporting", it's what gives the media a bad name.

Real reporters just tell you the news. They say what is happening, not how you should feel about it or how good or bad it is.

I can't say how many times American media acted like Trump was conducting a violent coup when he was just sitting on a toilet writing tweets. Exaggeration hurts credibility.

Thinking there is an agenda being pushed has to be proven. In the case of CGNP we know they are heavily censored and have failed a few fact checks.

What agenda does CNN or BBC have?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm

Been noting a lot this year especially. You have to go to like bbc to get coverage on the riots that are still going on here in the US, because basically everyone except Newsweek and BBC stopped talking about them.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm

All China wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The Big Three CNN, Fox, and MSNBC all have issues with reporting and presentation.

If I admit anything, I will say the local affiliates have a better time. NBC is better than MSNBC. Local Fox networks do better than Fox News. CNN in different countries is better than the CNN.

Fox has failed fact checks.
MSNBC has failed fact checks.
CNN has not failed fact checks.

-edit-
Correction on CNN. A subsequent check shows I must have clicked the wrong link as it showed failed fact checks.

Not liking what they say is not a failure of presenting factual stories.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All China
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby All China » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:34 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

CNN has not.

You're saying the entire history of CNN pushing for wars with other countries, using anonymous sources who nobody can verify, and having to correct their headlines on air multiple times,

and they never failed a fact check?

If you were saying this about Reuters or AP I might believe you're serious.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

CNN has not.

Politifact says CNN has failed a fact check before.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:03 pm

All China wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
CNN has not.

You're saying the entire history of CNN pushing for wars with other countries, using anonymous sources who nobody can verify, and having to correct their headlines on air multiple times,

What wars has CNN pushed the US to commit?

Anonymous sources are that way for a reason. It’s easier to attack the person making a claim rather then defending the claim. I am sure you would find many US politicians excited at the idea of anonymous sources being outlawed. It would make retaliation so much easier.

The practice of retractions is a common practice. Mistakes happen. An honest news source prints the retraction explaining how they got it wrong. I remember Fox slipping a correction into their website without a retraction (it was during the Haditha affair. Fox reported Americans killed German soldiers as Malmandey. General Wesly Clark was being interviewed and he corrected them on air. A few months later; he had to do it again.). The website had a timeline of WW2 mentioned the Germans killed and they corrected it without acknowledging the mistake.

You will have to present numbers on these mistakes if there are many and you are implying it’s on purpose.

Again. Not liking what they say isn’t a failure of presenting a story. Anonymous sources are still valid as people are quick to find fault and thus claims are obviously lies. This is why people like to scream about them. They can’t attack them. It’s easier to attack a person rather then the claims being made by the person.

It’s one of the reasons we have on this site about attacking the statement and not the person who posted it.

As to fact checks; a couple sites which checks the media doesn’t have them with any “fibs” or “stretching the truth”. The other two have been knocked a couple times.

The media bias fact check site even listed failed fact checks for the two other agencies.

Now if you want to blast them; they do choose their words carefully for emotion. That falls under the bias thing. Still favoring one approach isn’t presenting a lie.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:03 pm

All China wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
CNN has not.

Anonymous sources are that way for a reason. It’s easier to attack the person making a claim rather then defending the claim. I am sure you would find many US politicians excited at the idea of anonymous sources being outlawed. It would make retaliation so much easier.

The practice of retractions is a common practice. Mistakes happen. An honest news source prints the retraction explaining how they got it wrong. I remember Fox slipping a correction into their website without a retraction (it was during the Haditha affair. Fox reported Americans killed German soldiers as Malmandey. General Wesly Clark was being interviewed and he corrected them on air. A few months later; he had to do it again.). The website had a timeline of WW2 mentioned the Germans killed and they corrected it without acknowledging the mistake.

You will have to present numbers on these mistakes if there are many and you are implying it’s on purpose.

Again. Not liking what they say isn’t a failure of presenting a story. Anonymous sources are still valid as people are quick to find fault and thus claims are obviously lies. This is why people like to scream about them. They can’t attack them. It’s easier to attack a person rather then the claims being made by the person.

It’s one of the reasons we have on this site about attacking the statement and not the person who posted it.

As to fact checks; a couple sites which checks the media doesn’t have them with any “fibs” or “stretching the truth”. The other two have been knocked a couple times.

The media bias fact check site even listed failed fact checks for the two other agencies.

Now if you want to blast them; they do choose their words carefully for emotion. That falls under the bias thing. Still favoring one approach isn’t presenting a lie.

-edit-

I have to print a retraction :D

I must have clicked a wrong link when I said they haven’t failed fact checks. They have on several stories lately.

So I withdraw the no failed comment.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
CNN has not.

Politifact says CNN has failed a fact check before.

Heh. I saw that after I made the comment. I think I clicked the wrong link when I searched the media bias fact check site.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:08 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Heh. I saw that after I made the comment. I think I clicked the wrong link when I searched the media bias fact check site.

Relevant:

All China
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby All China » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:13 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

-edit-

I must have clicked a wrong link when I said they haven’t failed fact checks. They have on several stories lately.

Media makes mistakes, that we can agree on.

CNN and western media just tend to make more mistakes. I'm not the guardian of the news. But when I read reporting from CNN or BBC, it sounds like pontification. If I read from SCMP, it sounds like if I were reading the event from a textbook. That's how I enjoy media. Unbiased, just the information.

Don't need to tell me xxx Biden is doing the best in history to defeat covid and Trump was a fascist. Just tell me where the vaccines are and what the budget will be.

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

CNN is pretty biased in their portrayal of issues though. See for example how "children in cages" quickly became "minors in detainment facilities", etc.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Sengoku Americas wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

CNN is pretty biased in their portrayal of issues though. See for example how "children in cages" quickly became "minors in detainment facilities", etc.

Personally I laughed at the “fiery but mostly peaceful” broadcast.

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm

All China wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

-edit-

Media makes mistakes, that we can agree on.

CNN and western media just tend to make more mistakes. I'm not the guardian of the news. But when I read reporting from CNN or BBC, it sounds like pontification. If I read from SCMP, it sounds like if I were reading the event from a textbook. That's how I enjoy media. Unbiased, just the information.

Don't need to tell me xxx Biden is doing the best in history to defeat covid and Trump was a fascist. Just tell me where the vaccines are and what the budget will be.

BBC is still sensationalist, but far better than CNN.

大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 pm

Galloism wrote:
Sengoku Americas wrote:

Personally I laughed at the “fiery but mostly peaceful” broadcast.

You know well they don't care at all about those social issues. They're just doing everything they can for views and to spread the illusion they and politicians actually care about those issues.

大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 pm

i don't think the weather channel is too biased
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
All China wrote:

-edit-

CNN, like all other media, has an agenda to push. And their role in justifying Iraq War imperialism is well documented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_cov ... e_Iraq_War

大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General